The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Missus sister calls to say her car won't start at the nursery, shot over jumped started it, started immediately, said its getting damper and colder so batteries start to die off... It gave me a chance to use my battery tester, and it said 'replace'.. much talking between the missus and her sister resulted in me calling hafrauds and she went off to get a battery fitted for 85 English pounds...cash today...lol which I thought was ok as I was due to go too work and not had time.

VideoCapture_20221121-203203.jpg

Screenshot_20221121-101407_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Did some driving in London yesterday for the first time in a long time, I think since the extended ULEZ was introduced. So I can't go inside the North Circular as neither of my Škodas is compliant (the Triumph is exempt, certainly not compliant and whilst it does seem to work I still haven't completely finished putting it back together and need to do some short runs before I attempt anything like this). 

But no worry, I'm heading for Hendon which is just outside the North Circular. I did have to do a swift U turn at one point as I used one of my old shortcuts through Brentford and Ealing (it's not really a shortcut in terms of distance but it cuts out Kew Bridge and Gunnersbury roundabout which can be a nightmare) when approaching the North Circular it said no left turn. I can understand no right turn but no left turn makes no sense. Going straight on would take me in to ULEZ land. Fortunately being 9.30 on a Sunday morning it was relatively easy, London doesn't wake up very early on a Sunday. 

Once there I was riding round on old buses, as some of you will have seen, some of which were going inside ULEZ but my observation is that are still plenty of non compliant cars both sides of the boundary. 

These two were in the same road in Golders Green, well inside the zone. 

IMG_20221120_142449.thumb.jpg.e4b19c1f94174e3dc2d4b27718a6343f.jpg

IMG_20221120_142423.thumb.jpg.33113a1c55111aa21101ab6ea072aa98.jpg

Shirley these aren't compliant if my Škodas aren't. Maybe they just popped in for the day but the Micra in particular didn't look like it moved often, lots of leaves on and around it. So how does it work if you are parked inside the zone and stay there? Do you get charged every day or just as you enter? They can't have cameras everywhere (actually they probably can), there must be hundreds just on the boundary. But with the above pair it wouldn't take long before the charges (£12 a pop) pass the value of the car. These weren't the only two by any means. Maybe I'm just tight but I wouldn't even consider entering with my two. 

Another observation (I'm suddenly thinking I should be putting this in the grumpy thread but hey ho), driving through Brentford and Ealing it's now almost a blanket 20mph speed limit. I even saw a speed camera in the 20 limit which is a first for me. Ironically the only bit you were allowed to go faster was on the North Circular itself but on a Sunday evening you can't. But as soon as soon as you turn off you could but you're not allowed. 

I don't know when this all happened, possibly the same time as ULEZ perhaps, the painted 20s on the roads certainly didn't look that fresh. I used to drive round London all the time, but don't any more, but they are certainly doing their best to make it as unpleasant as possible. I guess that's the idea. 

19 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Did some driving in London yesterday for the first time in a long time, I think since the extended ULEZ was introduced. So I can't go inside the North Circular as neither of my Škodas is compliant (the Triumph is exempt, certainly not compliant and whilst it does seem to work I still haven't completely finished putting it back together and need to do some short runs before I attempt anything like this). 

But no worry, I'm heading for Hendon which is just outside the North Circular. I did have to do a swift U turn at one point as I used one of my old shortcuts through Brentford and Ealing (it's not really a shortcut in terms of distance but it cuts out Kew Bridge and Gunnersbury roundabout which can be a nightmare) when approaching the North Circular it said no left turn. I can understand no right turn but no left turn makes no sense. Going straight on would take me in to ULEZ land. Fortunately being 9.30 on a Sunday morning it was relatively easy, London doesn't wake up very early on a Sunday. 

Once there I was riding round on old buses, as some of you will have seen, some of which were going inside ULEZ but my observation is that are still plenty of non compliant cars both sides of the boundary. 

These two were in the same road in Golders Green, well inside the zone. 

IMG_20221120_142449.thumb.jpg.e4b19c1f94174e3dc2d4b27718a6343f.jpg

IMG_20221120_142423.thumb.jpg.33113a1c55111aa21101ab6ea072aa98.jpg

Shirley these aren't compliant if my Škodas aren't. Maybe they just popped in for the day but the Micra in particular didn't look like it moved often, lots of leaves on and around it. So how does it work if you are parked inside the zone and stay there? Do you get charged every day or just as you enter? They can't have cameras everywhere (actually they probably can), there must be hundreds just on the boundary. But with the above pair it wouldn't take long before the charges (£12 a pop) pass the value of the car. These weren't the only two by any means. Maybe I'm just tight but I wouldn't even consider entering with my two. 

Another observation (I'm suddenly thinking I should be putting this in the grumpy thread but hey ho), driving through Brentford and Ealing it's now almost a blanket 20mph speed limit. I even saw a speed camera in the 20 limit which is a first for me. Ironically the only bit you were allowed to go faster was on the North Circular itself but on a Sunday evening you can't. But as soon as soon as you turn off you could but you're not allowed. 

I don't know when this all happened, possibly the same time as ULEZ perhaps, the painted 20s on the roads certainly didn't look that fresh. I used to drive round London all the time, but don't any more, but they are certainly doing their best to make it as unpleasant as possible. I guess that's the idea. 

The Fiat would almost definitely be compliant. You only have to pay if you move the car. If parked, it won't pass a camera and therefore trigger an alert

3 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

I saw one today, and have been browsing.. A dealer locally has one in for sale, in a rather nice spec. Autocar likened it to a modern X1/9... 😆

Just been refreshing my memory. Yes x1/9 ish. But just having your head visible from the side is weird.

The proportions are a little off I think.

8107A52C-0334-46C5-A08B-7F1C72AC0061.png

1 minute ago, Barry Cade said:

This is the local one,, might be nosey. Developed by Renaultsport seemingly... I think I may be too tall for them..

72dca50eb27946cbaf01b98ae966b6e9.thumb.jpg.bfa3d87df0895e8b125549ce2ba89c96.jpg

All the ones I’ve just seen have been blue metallic. that one looks smart in black. Can’t think they’re easy to sell, sp could he a deal to be bargained.

says he who has had a new fiat TIPO cross for a year now and not seen another on the road!

1 minute ago, richardmorris said:

All the ones I’ve just seen have been blue metallic. that one looks smart in black. Can’t think they’re easy to sell, sp could he a deal to be bargained.

says he who has had a new fiat TIPO cross for a year now and not seen another on the road!

I've had 2 black X1/9's with tan leather.. it's tugging some heartstrings! The dealer that has it asks top money, but the car are right. Just checked the MOT history, and it had a few failures on it's first MOT at 3 years old... nothing sinister though. I've never seen a Tipo cross either!

1 minute ago, Barry Cade said:

I've had 2 black X1/9's with tan leather.. it's tugging some heartstrings! The dealer that has it asks top money, but the car are right. Just checked the MOT history, and it had a few failures on it's first MOT at 3 years old... nothing sinister though. I've never seen a Tipo cross either!

Yes, once I’d parked them together I realised why I liked it.

7632FFE8-9435-4184-805A-860F07D9B497.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

I saw one today, and have been browsing.. A dealer locally has one in for sale, in a rather nice spec. Autocar likened it to a modern X1/9... 😆

Hmm... More of a Clio convertible than a modern X1/9. If that's what you're expecting you'll be very disappointed when you open the boot. Still look quite interesting though. 

1 minute ago, Yoss said:

Hmm... More of a Clio convertible than a modern X1/9. If that's what you're expecting you'll be very disappointed when you open the boot. Still look quite interesting though. 

There's nothing comes close to an X1/9.. but I don't have a garage now and wouldn't press one into daily use now. Can't afford an Elise, don't want an MR2, had a Fiero and hated it. Don't do Honda's.. 

6 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

There's nothing comes close to an X1/9.. but I don't have a garage now and wouldn't press one into daily use now. Can't afford an Elise, don't want an MR2, had a Fiero and hated it. Don't do Honda's.. 

the fiat 124 spider  is rather nice but still £10k plus. I was tempted one last year, but needed a practical load carrying car not a sports car,

91BBA37C-C654-4C06-AC75-11EA739A96E5.png

7 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

I mean if you want something that (almost) nobody else has but that is still quite conventional mechanically (Clio based I think) then why not. And as long as you can put up with people taking the piss out of the name. When I say people I mean the general public, I think it would be quite popular in here. 

Got too work... sent out too jump start an ambulance, decided to swap with one I had and drive it back to my base, 2 miles down, the dash lite up and started to die, limped through some lights, called recovery out, they came charged it for 30 mins and I spiritly drove it back to base and in spitting distance it started to fail but managed it before it dropped dead... so that was missus sister and ambulance jump started.

20221121_111357.jpg

20221121_121511.jpg

20221121_122610.jpg

5 hours ago, stuboy said:

Got too work... sent out too jump start an ambulance, decided to swap with one I had and drive it back to my base, 2 miles down, the dash lite up and started to die, limped through some lights, called recovery out, they came charged it for 30 mins and I spiritly drove it back to base and in spitting distance it started to fail but managed it before it dropped dead... so that was missus sister and ambulance jump started.

20221121_111357.jpg

20221121_121511.jpg

20221121_122610.jpg

Used to get a lot of these which blew the main maxi fuse next to the battery which would cause a non start. Jump leads under the bonnet would allow them to start, but wouldn't charge.. I've bypassed a few to get them through a shift, then kept a stock of the fuses in the truck..