The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

7 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Scirocco has started a top mount sounding knock from the NSR so ordered a top mount and thought I’d whip it off today.

Think I’ve found the issue, my shock isn’t absorbing much. 

Typically these are the adaptive ones so cost a stupid amount of money! 

8B856E6A-B158-4EF8-AF96-0B52CBECEE31.jpeg

Just found you can fit normal shocks and just unplug the DCC button, meaning there will be no dash errors

That’ll do me, £30 odd for a shock rather than £280

Proper shiter, me.

Got a Lanoguard kit for doing the Altezza. So cracked on with it. Dead easy to apply. I was being lazy (and stupid) to just go with it, as there is cheaper options. Found the smell although not horrible, doesn't half stay on your hands! 

Anyhoo, hopefully it'll keep the car protected for a while. 

While I was doing that. I saw how the wheel was sat up and it gave me ideas to how it'd look lowered. Also found the tyre won't clash the arch either. So for now I won't need to roll them. 

Snapchat-353007195.thumb.jpg.9e61fde95b7b0a09d0bb0c2f9aca7b87.jpg

Got a Lanoguard kit for doing the Altezza. So cracked on with it. Dead easy to apply. I was being lazy (and stupid) to just go with it, as there is cheaper options. Found the smell although not horrible, doesn't half stay on your hands! 
Anyhoo, hopefully it'll keep the car protected for a while. 
While I was doing that. I saw how the wheel was sat up and it gave me ideas to how it'd look lowered. Also found the tyre won't clash the arch either. So for now I won't need to roll them. 
Snapchat-353007195.thumb.jpg.9e61fde95b7b0a09d0bb0c2f9aca7b87.jpg
Spent today spraying the VW Caravelle with waxoil. Most of it landed on the monoblock and me.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Just found you can fit normal shocks and just unplug the DCC button, meaning there will be no dash errors

That’ll do me, £30 odd for a shock rather than £280

Proper shiter, me.

Are you sure? I'd thought it would need coding out, especially with VAG. Certainly does on Audi's Magneride and that's not trivial. The ride height sensors are connected to the suspension ECU and transfer data to the headlight ECU. So no suspension ECU caused the headlights ECU to throw the headlight adjustment light on the dash. That's an MOT failure item. I bit the bullet on my TT and just replaced the shock - £450 for a rear.

Neighbour down the road has a R8 and the Magneride shocks needed replacing on that - £1k per corner. He replaced them with conventional shocks and plugged in the delete modules on each corner to keep the suspension ECU happy and thinking they're still attached. 

3 minutes ago, SiC said:

Are you sure? I'd thought it would need coding out, especially with VAG. Certainly does on Audi's Magneride and that's not trivial. The ride height sensors are connected to the suspension ECU and transfer data to the headlight ECU. So no suspension ECU caused the headlights ECU to throw the headlight adjustment light on the dash. That's an MOT failure item. I bit the bullet on my TT and just replaced the shock - £450 for a rear.

Neighbour down the road has a R8 and the Magneride shocks needed replacing on that - £1k per corner. He replaced them with conventional shocks and plugged in the delete modules on each corner to keep the suspension ECU happy and thinking they're still attached. 

Yeah certain as when I bought the car one of the front sensors was snapped, all it does is make the little DCC button near the gearstick flash which you just unplug the button. I’ve searched the scirocco FB group and lots of people do it when they fit coilovers.

I’ve just ordered a normal shock off eBay to tide me over until I decide whether to either fit a new DCC shock or maybe even stick a set of coilovers on myself if I keep the car. 

Went to a reindeer drive through with the toddler today. A kind of drive through light show with reindeer pens etc… 

C49858AA-30BF-46C7-A5EB-BDE90683C688.jpeg

Of course by drive through it actually meant over an hour of the car idling… 

And I’d taken the one car I own with a K-Series engine…

Can you guess…

Yep it performed perfectly.

Covered 300+ miles in my recently-acquired Saab 9-3 this evening and it was fantastic. Cruise set to 70mph and it was ticking over at 2200rpm. No wind noise whatsoever at motorway speeds unlike most convertibles I've driven. 

I think it's a rare situation where the tall gearing meant it was probably more frugal than the equivalent manual. 

44.1mpg with an average speed of 60mph according to the trip computer. For a 210bhp petrol auto, I think that's pretty good going. 

The airbag light remains on, so I might try and investigate that tomorrow if I can muster up the enthusiasm. IMG_20221119_202246.thumb.jpg.14cc6e447c5c714e7918916440559473.jpg

As some of you will have seen on the Shitemove thread, we are all being well due to complete on a house purchase in around 3-4 weeks… our current house is on oil fired heating and our oil level is very low.. it was virtually empty when we moved in so I’m certainly not buying more.

This has left us having to be very careful with how we use the boiler at the moment. Shower is fine as it’s electric, dishwasher takes care of the dishes so it’s basically warmth and some hot water for hand washing etc. 

I have managed to perfect putting the hot water on for 1-2 hours and it staying hot enough for most of the week, heating wise it’s bloody freezing. Our cottage is very old and drafty… we have an electric blanket on the bed and a couple of electric throws downstairs which are brilliant. Thermostat in the lounge today says it’s 12.5c 😂

I’d rather do this than buy heating oil off the pump for £1.25 a litre or having to waste bulk buying 500l.

1 minute ago, JJ0063 said:

As some of you will have seen on the Shitemove thread, we are all being well due to complete on a house purchase in around 3-4 weeks… our current house is on oil fired heating and our oil level is very low.. it was virtually empty when we moved in so I’m certainly not buying more.

This has left us having to be very careful with how we use the boiler at the moment. Shower is fine as it’s electric, dishwasher takes care of the dishes so it’s basically warmth and some hot water for hand washing etc. 

I have managed to perfect putting the hot water on for 1-2 hours and it staying hot enough for most of the week, heating wise it’s bloody freezing. Our cottage is very old and drafty… we have an electric blanket on the bed and a couple of electric throws downstairs which are brilliant. Thermostat in the lounge today says it’s 12.5c 😂

I’d rather do this than buy heating oil off the pump for £1.25 a litre or having to waste bulk buying 500l.

Do you have Scottish ancestry?

5 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I do exactly the same.  Except I'm not moving house, I'm just tight saving my precious oil for when the weathers freezing!  Room 'stat showing 15c this morning, so not too bad...

Good luck with the new place!

Blue Škoda is in London today parked outside a fancy building. 

IMG_20221120_105430.thumb.jpg.99d8f81bf803df18cbb64976feeaeb6e.jpg

It's not actually parked there now of course though I could find no signs to say you couldn't. Despite this I thought it unlikely that it would still be there 8f I left it for a few hours. But I am now parked just round the side. 

IMG_20221120_105840.thumb.jpg.25947ad6c1dd815aa9f26349a0e96511.jpg

It's Hendon Town Hall by the way. 

IMG_20221120_105444.thumb.jpg.6ceb3f55ec7ff9f211dbf0a0f8e8d146.jpg

IMG_20221120_105450.thumb.jpg.1931db7114458bd708d1c0ebd9e39274.jpg

I'm here for other reasons. 

IMG_20221120_110720.thumb.jpg.2bae12d261b518aafa09c7073d6633d7.jpg

IMG_20221120_111037.thumb.jpg.69088ddd241b1de5d724e41499262895.jpg

9 hours ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

I do exactly the same.  Except I'm not moving house, I'm just tight saving my precious oil for when the weathers freezing!  Room 'stat showing 15c this morning, so not too bad...

Good luck with the new place!

Pre-children I was the same. Apparently babies need warmth or something according to the wife 

Echoes of when we moved into the last flat in Aberdeen.

We didn't know that there was a prepayment electric meter fitted.  Or that there was about £0.50 left on the emergency credit when we first walked in.  Right up to the point where it went off - at about 22:00 on a Sunday night when it was absolutely tipping it down.  Oh what fun that was to sort out.

Now that it's actually getting cold, I decided it was time to put the Renault and the boat away for the winter.  So that was yesterday's job, which involved digging out the Innocenti (I'm not overly happy about that spending the winter outside but it's done so for most of the time since I've owned it and it's holding up a lot better than the Renault), then removing the assorted boxes of crap from the back of the garage and piling them into the van.  Then I wheeled the boat over on its trailer, heaved it off into the garage then leaned it up against the wall and held it in place with a ratchet strap to a handily placed nail in one of the roof beams, and a selection of Haynes manuals shoved underneath to prop it up.  Then the Renault 6 was squeezed in (literally - there's about 3" of width to spare) and I clambered out through the tailgate, which had been left strategically open.  The Mobylette went back in behind the Renault, then I wheeled the Spacy over and parallel parked that next to the Mobylette.  That pretty much filled the garage.

Today's main job was to replace the nearside rear window regulator on the Toyota.  So I moved the Volvo down to the car park and pulled the Toyota onto the drive so I could get to it with electricity.  The mains dremel with a cutting disc attached made short work of cutting through the seized cables on the old regulator (I do have a cordless dremel but it's shit), and I was then able to drop the window down and unbolt it from the regulator.  A fair bit of wangling later the regulator assembly was out (the most awkward bit was getting the wiring off without breaking the retaining clips) and I was ready to fit the new one. 

Except that the new one didn't fit.  I'm not sure exactly whether they've sent me the wrong one or whether it's just a shit aftermarket part, but it looks similar-but-not-the-same and one of the mounting studs isn't even close to lining up with its hole.  The other two sort of line up so I was able to poke them part way through their respective holes then pull them through by winding the nuts back on.  It was a similar story with attaching the glass to the slide mechanism - one of the holes was OK but the other one didn't quite line up and needed a fair bit of buggering about before I could get the bolt in.  Oh, and the motor is wired the wrong way round so you now have to press the switch down to wind the window up.  It's in there though and the window is now securely closed and can be opened if need be, although only part way.  I should probably complain to the seller but to be honest I really can't be arsed.

The new front number plate arrived for the Visa so I fitted that.  I also clipped the headlights in properly and refitted the driver's door card, so it looks a bit more like a usable car even if it isn't quite yet. 

20221120_135555.thumb.jpg.afecc85164e070ca53663d7ff754c22d.jpg

I've also ordered a seat cover for the driver's seat as the upholstery is (as you'd expect from a 40-year-old Citroën) pretty fucked.  The other seats really need covers as well but that can wait until the car's back on the road.  I've treated it to a new wiper blade and ordered a screen wash pump.  I still can't get the offside rear indicator to do anything, although the tail light on that side is now working most of the time.

The Maxus got treated to a shiny new battery.  The 075 battery that I put on it when the old battery died was just about managing OK in the warm weather, but now that it's cold it really wasn't coping.  So I bought the next size up (096) which has improved cold starting quite a lot.  The 075 is on the Visa for now, but long term I'm going to fit it to the Toyota and the Visa can then have the Toyota's 063.  I do love a game of musical batteries...

I also fitted an additional LED reversing light to the Maxus.  It's quite bright.

20221120_225453.thumb.jpg.4fd5d046c7d237d9b2b12b69e4ed4149.jpg

That along with the reversing camera should mean that I can avoid backing into anything now that it's dark most of the time.

And the bad news is about the parents DS4. Dealer said the battery was dead ( well it’s been sitting with them for three weeks after not starting). Battery fitted on Thursday, needed diagnostic on Friday and they rang ( me accidentally and not dad) at 4.30 today to say the battery control unit wasn’t turning off and so a constant drain. Just £740 of your Earth pounds! They can do it tomorrow which is a damn sight faster than they could get a battery.