The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Type R has about a month's MOT left, so I've booked a Kwik Fit test slot for it tomorrow as it was cheap, and I'm pretty sure it'll pass. Once that's done it's for sale. My preferred tester probably won't have anything until next week, and six cars is about as many as we can acceptably keep around so it needs gone asap. 

I've been on a train:

trainz.thumb.jpg.c4e362fb20d92ccfb83aa219b7ddb6a7.jpg

20221116_120338.thumb.jpg.08dc0f7405c6d9a5aded2f17b86237f0.jpg

20221116_124543.thumb.jpg.6b59600993aed0c54a6a9b70fee930a3.jpg

I've been in Tokyo for work, going on hols to Kyoto now.  Shinkansen was very smooth but little sensation of speed, less scenic than I hoped as there's so much furniture along the side of the track.  Bit extremely-low-flying aircraft with the pronounced banking.  And it was late :)

20221113_181626.thumb.jpg.e5b00af7a8070a11de4866154106d3c3.jpg

I did not get to enjoy playing with Mameshibas.

20221115_202955.thumb.jpg.f8010cd2279794e407a2eb302cedeff6.jpg

Ghibli shop.

20221110_204932.thumb.jpg.07a64cf1714a7694769aae65da936aa8.jpg

This is what you really wanted - hot Crown or Cedric action.  I presume they still make these as I saw many that are surely nearly new.  Zero shite spotted so far.

1 hour ago, Fat_Pirate said:

I've been on a train:

trainz.thumb.jpg.c4e362fb20d92ccfb83aa219b7ddb6a7.jpg

20221116_120338.thumb.jpg.08dc0f7405c6d9a5aded2f17b86237f0.jpg

20221116_124543.thumb.jpg.6b59600993aed0c54a6a9b70fee930a3.jpg

I've been in Tokyo for work, going on hols to Kyoto now.  Shinkansen was very smooth but little sensation of speed, less scenic than I hoped as there's so much furniture along the side of the track.  Bit extremely-low-flying aircraft with the pronounced banking.  And it was late :)

20221113_181626.thumb.jpg.e5b00af7a8070a11de4866154106d3c3.jpg

I did not get to enjoy playing with Mameshibas.

20221115_202955.thumb.jpg.f8010cd2279794e407a2eb302cedeff6.jpg

Ghibli shop.

20221110_204932.thumb.jpg.07a64cf1714a7694769aae65da936aa8.jpg

This is what you really wanted - hot Crown or Cedric action.  I presume they still make these as I saw many that are surely nearly new.  Zero shite spotted so far.

I’ve been in the French TGV and although a bit slower than the Shinkansen , I think it goes at 180mph +, there was no sensation of speed. However our 130 mile trip took 50 min, so that’s a 150mph average , so it must have been about that on the straights. Absolutely on time too, a shock to anyone used to British railways.

In an hours lunch break I've bought lunch, eaten lunch and bought a car. Not quite a record for me but close! I wanted a 225 or 3.2 V6 but this literally was down the road from me. Still quattro and the 180 has the advantages of simpler under the bonnet - less intercoolers, no extra electric water pump, stuff like that. Also they're all CAZ which makes things easier. It's not exactly a car for life either.

Needs wheel alignment, exhaust blows (£120 from ECP/similar) and dash has done the usual Audi pixel thing (still usable though). Thermostat may need doing but blows hot so maybe just the dash (another known issue). Could do with a service. Paint is in decent condition. Back rear wing lacquer is cloudy and a scuff. 

Was up for £1250 and paid £1050. Don't think I did too bad. Especially in this market for a 180bhp AWD vehicle.

Just need to shift the Focus on now. Anyone want it? Probably put an advert up later today. It's a 2007 Focus MK2 1.6 16v petrol that drives well but cosmetically challenged.

Link for the eBay advert while it's still around: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334628721684

PXL_20221116_135857341.jpg

PXL_20221116_135905687.jpg

PXL_20221116_135923611.jpg

56 minutes ago, SiC said:

In an hours lunch break I've bought lunch, eaten lunch and bought a car. Not quite a record for me but close! I wanted a 225 or 3.2 V6 but this literally was down the road from me. Still quattro and the 180 has the advantages of simpler under the bonnet - less intercoolers, no extra electric water pump, stuff like that. Also they're all CAZ which makes things easier. It's not exactly a car for life either.

Needs wheel alignment, exhaust blows (£120 from ECP/similar) and dash has done the usual Audi pixel thing (still usable though). Thermostat may need doing but blows hot so maybe just the dash (another known issue). Could do with a service. Paint is in decent condition. Back rear wing lacquer is cloudy and a scuff. 

Was up for £1250 and paid £1050. Don't think I did too bad. Especially in this market for a 180bhp AWD vehicle.

Just need to shift the Focus on now. Anyone want it? Probably put an advert up later today. It's a 2007 Focus MK2 1.6 16v petrol that drives well but cosmetically challenged.

Link for the eBay advert while it's still around: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334628721684

PXL_20221116_135857341.jpg

PXL_20221116_135905687.jpg

PXL_20221116_135923611.jpg

Very similar to the TT that I briefly enjoyed* a couple of years ago, down to the one red T and one silver T rear TT badge.

Have fun!

20 minutes ago, Peter C said:

Very similar to the TT that I briefly enjoyed* a couple of years ago, down to the one red T and one silver T rear TT badge.

Have fun!

Yeah I don't know what that badge is about. Only seen it on some of them. Aftermarket or maybe a cost option?

Yours was probably in much better body condition than this. Hopefully mechanically this is better though! No clutch slippage and it changed gear okay. Bit heavier than possibly I'd thought but I haven't another to compare to. 

Time will tell I guess. Clutch change is the one thing I don't want to get involved with. Especially if it's just the slave at fault. 

36 minutes ago, SiC said:

Yeah I don't know what that badge is about. Only seen it on some of them. Aftermarket or maybe a cost option?

Yours was probably in much better body condition than this. Hopefully mechanically this is better though! No clutch slippage and it changed gear okay. Bit heavier than possibly I'd thought but I haven't another to compare to. 

Time will tell I guess. Clutch change is the one thing I don't want to get involved with. Especially if it's just the slave at fault. 

The badge colours issue is down to one of the plastic chrome Ts falling off and just leaving the red rubber backing. Kwality kars.

Type R failed its kwikshit MOT on a broken exhaust bracket, offside rear, and nothing else. I declined to let them sell me a new exhaust. BS detector's going off tbh, unless it's on the centre section which I think runs down the o/s sill, as the backboxes are perfectly secure. 
Curiously it passed emissions. I'm going to inspect it, see if there's anything that needs doing, and then either dispute the fail, or fix it and take it somewhere else as they want to charge me £22.99 for a retest, and I'd sooner give my money to an independent than pay 23 quid for a five minute inspection. 

8 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Type R failed its kwikshit MOT on a broken exhaust bracket, offside rear, and nothing else. I declined to let them sell me a new exhaust. BS detector's going off tbh, unless it's on the centre section which I think runs down the o/s sill, as the backboxes are perfectly secure. 
Curiously it passed emissions. I'm going to inspect it, see if there's anything that needs doing, and then either dispute the fail, or fix it and take it somewhere else as they want to charge me £22.99 for a retest, and I'd sooner give my money to an independent than pay 23 quid for a five minute inspection. 

I've never known KF to charge for a retest, and I worked for them!

Edit.. just checked and its a thing, never knew that!

Just now, Barry Cade said:

I've never known KF to charge for a retest, and I worked for them? 

https://www.kwik-fit.com/mot/information/mot-failure-and-retest

Surprised, but exhausts aren't covered and they'll only do it next working day if you take the car away - I did, as I declined their offer of a new exhaust, and told them I need to see the fail item for myself before I'd commit to anything like that. 

I then got in the car and found they'd set the heater to cold, moved both front seats, fastened all the seatbelts and turned my auto lights off, so I drove off in the dark with no lights. 🤦🏻‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

https://www.kwik-fit.com/mot/information/mot-failure-and-retest

Surprised, but exhausts aren't covered and they'll only do it next working day if you take the car away - I did, as I declined their offer of a new exhaust, and told them I need to see the fail item for myself before I'd commit to anything like that. 

I then got in the car and found they'd set the heater to cold, moved both front seats, fastened all the seatbelts and turned my auto lights off, so I drove off in the dark with no lights. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Checking your aircon to upsell.. moving seats fastening seat belts and using light switch all part of the MOT 😄, having lights on along with every other electrical device can sometimes sneak a car through its emissions though! 

I can't believe how much Kwik Fit branches vary, depending on the manager...  

On 11/15/2022 at 9:44 PM, GagaStan said:

Going to test drive a minty 306 tomorrow. Very excited.

5E3FCAA6-CBC4-4F80-A39E-D5E50055A370.thumb.jpeg.dba4ffa07558cdd7f9884e345c83fc40.jpeg

phase 3, 2.0 16v pez manual, just had the cambelt and water pump done… I hope it drives alright!!

No buy sadly.
“Cambelt is fine, we did it 10 years ago m9”

so that would need doing, plus a suspicious feeling clutch, creaks and clonks from the front end, two shot tyres, inop drivers leccy window… just didn’t add  up. Plan is that it was for mr Gagastans new hour-each-way commute. But it is not to be.

shame, because it’s so pretty and was so lovely to drive!

10 minutes ago, GagaStan said:

No buy sadly.
“Cambelt is fine, we did it 10 years ago m9”

so that would need doing, plus a suspicious feeling clutch, creaks and clonks from the front end, two shot tyres, inop drivers leccy window… just didn’t add  up. Plan is that it was for mr Gagastans new hour-each-way commute. But it is not to be.

shame, because it’s so pretty and was so lovely to drive!

How much was it up for? I had one exactly the same but lhd, it was awesome.

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Exhaust hangers are only a fail if the system is insecure. Bullshit fail as I'm sure you've sussed. 

How much did they want to do the exhaust? I'm gonna bet £250-300

Tldr; don't go to Kwik fit. Someone/thing else has to pay the difference from the cheap MOT somehow...

4 hours ago, SiC said:

dash has done the usual Audi pixel thing (still usable though). Thermostat may need doing but blows hot so maybe just the dash (another known issue).

As you say very common on those, the temp gauge is usually the first to die. 

Don't be surprised if the speedo goes haywire and you'll get an intermittent no start and flashing immobiliser light 

Only costs around £120 if you send it off, they'll fix it all. 

Looks a decent buy, I think they've aged very well indeed

Stoneacre called me today on my mobile about dad’s ds4. Seems they can’t have two morris’ set up on their system at the same address. Anyway, they’ve had it two weeks and have pronounced that the battery won’t hold charge. New battery due tomorrow ( exactly three years since they fitted this last one ).