The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, BeEP said:

The way to avoid adding to the accident tally is surely to approach said bridge at full whack.  If there is anything coming up the other side you will sail gracefully over the top of them and land behind.

That's if the bottom of the tailgate legs don't dig into the road surface, don't ask how I know 😣 , luckily it was a rental van and it happened within 30 minutes of picking it up so it must of been broken before.... Even got a free upgrade to a 7.5 tonner 😇

8 hours ago, Stanky said:

Don't operate the tail lift without the engine running or you'll flatten the battery in no time, or so I was told when I last had need to hire one

We had a transit luton at work recently to move several cages worth of PCs and laptops, I'll back this up.  

On 11/11/2022 at 9:14 AM, Saabnut said:

Common fault with these. I think Bill Jones ar Saabits still does re-silvered ones.

I browsed Saabits and while i didn't find re-silvering, i found new reflectors for the headlamps apparently

Usining my 2015 Abarth 140, Coming home from work the other week, gear stick feeling shit all week...shat itself on the drive home...limiting myself to 3rd-4th gear...thankfully as I approached home and guessed what'd happened. Got use of my mum's car (22 year old old, Mk4 Golf 1.6 , base spec) for past week till I approved problems with mine....

20221112_143254.thumb.jpg.b2a05c78f125ef623c6a6779b35dc2e3.jpg

As expected, the 'ballpoint' had given up the ghost. So carried the 'official' repair (slip a latex glove over it) as many a Arnold Clark Crnold Alark dealers has done, I'm going to get a local, trusted garage to do. 

*photo shown is my post-approved repair method.... 

I should add, I thought the gearshift felt a tad shit....but I spent the past two weeks prior with a Kia Sedona minivan as a rental, so my mind was marshmallow! 😅

Right, I failed at adulting.

I've still not got all my energy back from covid, kids are harvesting bugs of all sorts. 

I'm working part time on average but it feels like 80 hrs a week.

I left the kids to entertain themselves yesterday while I had to sleep which started a chain of events leading to leaving the ignition on in the V70, now the French is jump starting the V70.

A month or two ago I broke my phone rather spectacularly and I was unable remember my password to AS or which email I used to sign in so I had to message the beacon of functionality that is @brownnova in the end to get back in!

Thanks to @ruffgeezerfor reminding me that I'm missing 😁

I'm not moaning by this post, it's more of an excuse. Over-worked, looking after kids while Wifey settles into new job and works far too many hours etc etc

So, after waking up first thing in the morning (youngest likes to climb in our bed at random-o'clock in the morning and cough at us and wrestle us) I realised that during my parenting fail yesterday I had left a thing on charge in the v70 with the ignition on...

Oops. Anyway the photos of jump starting the V70 at stupid o'clock on a Sunday morning before a crazy full day of work (yes i'm working basically all day on remembrance Sunday) are very AS I think so I've finally managed to get back in to post the picture of my adulting fail! Yippee.

20221113_065750.jpg

It was Master SL's 17th birthday on Friday, he'd arranged for a lesson with the instructor straight after school that day and then booked his theory test yesterday AM, which he passed.

The 54-reg Yaris which Miss SL used as her first car has now been handed down to him. Had my first drive with him today, he's got some things to think about but he did well and we successfully made it back.

The Yaris is older than him, and he was well under a year old when I joined AS. My, how time flies.....

Meanwhile, Miss SL and her BF have taken a trip out the Peak District in his MR2, last decent drive before horrible weather sets in. We got sent a photo, not of nice scenery but of her looking happy standing next to a Mk1 RAV4. She is after one to replace the Yaris, I assume it was a chance sighting and not a purchase. The other day she sent a link to an ad for a RAV4 with a Camry V6 conversion!

On 8/4/2022 at 9:01 PM, Stanky said:

I've noticed more cars recently driving around with their headlights on in daytime, but with the front indicators on on both sides permanently lit. The first time i saw this was on a BMW and i dismissed it as being some kind of electrical issue, but since then I have seen probabaly about ten different cars, all running with both front orange indicators permanently lit. Myriad makes and models, BMW, VW, Peugeot, Ford at the very least.

Is this a scene thing, or some sort of weird Fareham phenomenon and the owners/drivers are completely oblivious?

Also, I have noticed several obviously chavved up cars recently with some kind of treatment to the windscreen and front headlights making them sort of tinted but in a colour change film, sort of like late 90s/00s flip paint TVRs and things, but on the glass. Apparetly its legal, looks weird but there you go. Is this another new fad elsewhere in the country too? So far I;ve seen it on some mid-00s Subaru Impreza and a heavily modified Civic type-r.

I've noticed that rainbow tint thing too... looks shit.

Have been driving this here in Rome since getting back last month. It’s a 2.0 hdi (I think) and it goes well but a slipping clutch has numbered it’s days 

344FCAB8-9AF1-442D-B96D-F180F5F774F0.thumb.jpeg.eedfbbc6630a9c2377d5cad2680d091e.jpeg

I don’t know if I’ve made the right decision but I’m replacing it with this:

596C9DEC-994F-40D2-8A44-ED56B772E7D1.thumb.jpeg.a3e6d12919f4c17963d384bf98e7ae60.jpeg

its a weird spec with colour coding and electric windows but no radio!

5B144F0F-2C7B-4B93-9283-3727B9B0D5E9.thumb.jpeg.1ad047a213f19efca3e08d1b20c96bcf.jpeg

In theory it should suit my commute much better but there is just something so likable about a Bingo

Well what a weekend that was.  Good job the Rover 75 is a comfortable car, seeing as I spent >12 hours in it yesterday...  Traffic was ridiculously slow on the run back (37mph seems to have become the default giffer speed on NSL A-roads, and overtaking with a laden trailer is not something that the Rover is particularly keen on), and bastard Google Maps sent me down what I assume it thought was a shortcut but ended up being a single track lane (always fun with a big trailer), but Google evidently wasn't aware that the lane was closed half way down and therefore the route it was trying to send me on didn't exist.  Even more fun than driving down a single track road with a trailer is reversing back up said (unlit) single track road with said trailer, in the dark, then doing a three-point turn by reversing into a farm track.  Thank feck I took the Rover rather than the Maxus - I'd never have got turned around and I would have had to reverse out onto the A1.  As it was I had to turn right onto the (busy) dual carriageway, from a standing start with a tonne and a bit of trailer hanging off the back.

Then at some point I managed to run over a screw with one of the trailer wheels, so that went flat - I didn't notice straight away but one of the ratchet straps came loose and when I stopped to investigate that I noticed the flat tyre, so I had to change the wheel on the trailer - fortunately I had the trolley jack in the boot of the Rover.  After a couple of other mishaps I got home just before 1am this morning.

I didn't get as much done today as I'd been hoping, largely because I got up rather late due to being utterly knackered from yesterday.  The first task was to run an extension lead out into the drive and get a blower heater set up in the Volvo to dry out the footwell carpet.  It took ages and I dread to think how much it cost me in electricity, but it's pretty much dry now.  I've bought one of those big windscreen covers which goes over the scuttle panel and the front edge of the roof and attaches with four elastic straps - I'm hoping that'll keep the water from getting in through wherever it has been.  

I then went down to the car park and did an extremely half-arsed reassembly of the front end on the Visa, to get it looking more like a roadworthy car and less like a restoration project.

20221113_134918.thumb.jpg.a1ab8d214c6674e7b2fe9b44b62bce83.jpg

I've ordered a new front number plate for it as the current one is warped beyond repair.  I then borrowed the battery from the Volvo and had a play with some switches to see what's alive and what isn't.  We have headlights, one rear light, most of the indicators, wiper, horn and heater fan.  Even the radio works.  Things that currently don't are the offside rear light cluster, which doesn't do anything at all (I'm going to need to get the multimeter out on that at some point) and the screen wash - I think the pump is seized as it's drawing current, so I'll probably just wire in a universal one for now.  The driver's door doesn't currently lock (not that that's a major issue round here) - the original lock turns OK but doesn't actually do anything, and there's a secondary lock in the door that someone has fitted but which isn't actually connected to anything.

The other job I had scheduled for today was to fit a new window regulator to the nearside rear door on the Toyota.  I thought it was going to be an awkward job, and thus it proved.  The problem is that to remove the regulator you need to unbolt the window glass in its carrier from the regulator mechanism, and to access the bolts you need to have the window part way down.  The current regulator has seized with the window fractionally below the fully closed position, so I can't actually get to the bolts - I can feel them with my fingers but because of assorted other door internals and the shape of the door itself I can't get a spanner in there.  I think I'm going to have to cut the cables, but I couldn't immediately find a suitable cutting implement (wouldn't get a hacksaw in there so it's going to be either bolt cutters or a dremel with a cutting disc) and I was running out of daylight by then anyway so that's been postponed.  I've managed to find a way of clamping the cables so that the window stays closed - hopefully that'll stop any more water getting into the car until I can sort it properly...

Had to collect from a company literally under the QE2 bridge today 

20221114_100617.thumb.jpg.64145033bb12741d5f3af42e3405bf72.jpg

I was admiring the unusual view when the guy started telling me stories about half a dozen 6 foot fence panels sailing off a lorry and landing in their yard. I got back in my van and left sharpish...