The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

55 minutes ago, Bren said:

Would love to get my licence. 

The instructor pointed out to me that I had done my first hour. I had control for a time and executed a right turn over the coast at Southport to take us back to Manchester.

It is expensive though.

Yea, a cost vs benefit decision?

Failed the Mod 1 section of my motorbike test this morning. 

The bits I was most concerned about (U-turn and slalom/figure-of-8) couldn't have gone better.

I let myself down on the emergency stop exercise which requires you to accelerate to 50kph in a fairly short distance before carrying out the emergency stop. No issues with the emergency stop itself, but I was only going 44kph through the speed trap. You get another go if you don't reach 50kph on the first try.

Nerves took over and I made a right mess of the second attempt. I accelerated as normal but closed the throttle too early again. I then panicked I wasn't going quick enough and re-opened the throttle very late. Whilst I did manage to reach the target speed, I also managed to clip one of the cones by the speed trap. 

Really pissed off with myself, especially considering how well I felt things were going up until that point.

3 hours ago, Bren said:

Cost is considerable. Benefit is purely for me - I will never have the money to own an aircraft.

I looked into this quite a while ago, shared ownership was very common then. A quick Google shows shares available from 2k or so plus a monthly and flying hour charge.

R53 passed its MOT today - 2nd good pass in as many weeks, after getting the CLK through. It's a brilliant little car, my favourite in years. It's the one I'm preparing to spend some money on to keep it fresh as values do seem to be climbing a little, and it's a good example.

The CLK is soon to be @Andy F's and once he's had any bits he needs from the dead CLK I'm sending it to scrap next week so I'll be down to a more manageable 3 cars. That means I'll have space to resolve the various squashy suspension knocks on the Saab, get it some new tyres and get me going through winter.

Got the auto gearbox fluid changed on the red 93 today as its meant be done at 90000 and the car is showing 97000.  Also had the NSF wheelbearing done. Now NO MORE NOISE. It only annoyed me as the car is otherwise incredibly quiet.

I arrived to pick it up and  it was parked next to my old Civic which @Supernaut had dropped off for its MOT earlier in the week (it passed).

20221110_142852.jpg

5 hours ago, mercedade said:

R53 passed its MOT today - 2nd good pass in as many weeks, after getting the CLK through. It's a brilliant little car, my favourite in years. It's the one I'm preparing to spend some money on to keep it fresh as values do seem to be climbing a little, and it's a good example.

The CLK is soon to be @Andy F's and once he's had any bits he needs from the dead CLK I'm sending it to scrap next week so I'll be down to a more manageable 3 cars. That means I'll have space to resolve the various squashy suspension knocks on the Saab, get it some new tyres and get me going through winter.

Train ticket booked! 

Looking forward to bombing around in a convertible again. If it's raining I get to enjoy the single wiper, if it's dry the roof will be down. The Xantia estate is staying as it's just too useful and I think I've got a buyer for the 206. Before the winter really sets in I must finish the T25 camper. The new engine is in and running and bar one water leak for which the new part has arrived it's good to move under it own steam. This time without the steam , hopefully. Should probably do an oil change on the Picasso too before it gets colder.

9 hours ago, brownnova said:

I really do need to do something about the 9000s headlights, they’ve gone from being abysmal to absolutely godawful over the time I’ve owned it. Absolutely would not want to take it on any unfamiliar roads at night now.

Common fault with these. I think Bill Jones ar Saabits still does re-silvered ones.

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Pretty much every series 2 9000 I've owned has had shite headlights.  One of them had been (illegally) converted to Xenons, and that was even worse.

I was thinking if possibly trying LED higher output bulbs… 

10 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Common fault with these. I think Bill Jones ar Saabits still does re-silvered ones.

I thought I saw on Saabits a while back that they would resilver them but couldn’t find that when I looked this week. 

10 hours ago, stuboy said:

any ideas on how to improve dab reception in my car, it has an kenwood aftermarket, ive added 12v booster..

Before I broke the connector on my head unit for the antennae I found the long whip ones they magnet to the roof worked really well in the hilly part of Oxfordshire I live in. Rarely lost any signal even with 1/2 bars. 

Then I broke it removing it from the zx years ago so don't have dab now 😢

15 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Took the Bremen out of the Civic sedan and put it in the 124: 

PXL_20221111_155631629.jpg

PXL_20221111_155652750.jpg

I do like a period stereo. I've got the original Philips in my Maestro but I'll be using a 90s Panasonic tape player for extra oomph (and decent speakers hidden away).

12 hours ago, stuboy said:

any ideas on how to improve dab reception in my car, it has an kenwood aftermarket, ive added 12v booster..

External (roof mount) antenna. You can get magnet mount ones for hatchbacks and route the wire in above the headlining and down behind the A-pillar trim.

Internal windscreen mount ones are ok but struggle in poor signal areas. Also if you're using a dashcam and 12v -> 5v USB supply, this plays havoc with DAB reception. 

We're moving into our temp accommodation today, a holiday cottage in a nearby village. Pretty, but pretty cold. Sadly no log fire to warm it up. 

Anyway Mrs Grogee has borrowed a Luton from her work (Transit flavour) with a tail lift. The fun* part will be seeing if it fits over the narrow (and vertiginous) humpback bridge over the canal near our cottage. It's one of those bridges where you can't see anything except sky when you drive over it; I can't imagine how many accidents there have been. Hopefully we won't add to the tally. 

19 minutes ago, grogee said:

We're moving into our temp accommodation today, a holiday cottage in a nearby village. Pretty, but pretty cold. Sadly no log fire to warm it up. 

Anyway Mrs Grogee has borrowed a Luton from her work (Transit flavour) with a tail lift. The fun* part will be seeing if it fits over the narrow (and vertiginous) humpback bridge over the canal near our cottage. It's one of those bridges where you can't see anything except sky when you drive over it; I can't imagine how many accidents there have been. Hopefully we won't add to the tally. 

The way to avoid adding to the accident tally is surely to approach said bridge at full whack.  If there is anything coming up the other side you will sail gracefully over the top of them and land behind.

3 hours ago, grogee said:

I do like a period stereo. I've got the original Philips in my Maestro but I'll be using a 90s Panasonic tape player for extra oomph (and decent speakers hidden away).

Me too, I have the Civic's original Philips radio, but it's dead sadly. I upgraded the speakers to Alpine ones, but I need to find something decent and period to drive them. The other fourth gen Civic has a surprisingly good Aiwa cassette player in it! 

Speaking of, I'm getting that off my mum, as a second chance offer on eBay has made her very happy. There's going to be a collection on Monday, bit of a dull one as it just involves driving the 300E down the A1. 

57 minutes ago, BeEP said:

The way to avoid adding to the accident tally is surely to approach said bridge at full whack.  If there is anything coming up the other side you will sail gracefully over the top of them and land behind.

That will land us in the pub lounge bar, so double win. 

I reckon 60mph ought to be about right in this fine steed

IMG_20221112_110140372.jpg