The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

No, I was just having a piss.  I'd been downstairs to close the curtains and back up again just a couple of minutes earlier and I was fine.  It's most odd.

You weren't reading the daily mail on the toilet were you?  This can raise your blood pressure to dangerous levels..

13 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

No, I was just having a piss.  I'd been downstairs to close the curtains and back up again just a couple of minutes earlier and I was fine.  It's most odd.

Get checked out ASAP mate, please. Appreciate what you mentioned earlier about the doc having not seen whatever you’d shown him before and although this may be unrelated, you don’t want to miss something urgent.

Do you live with someone? Not being nosey, genuinely concerned - if you live alone then make sure you post regularly on here, or message me your number/address or something. I’d sooner waste a tenner in diesel coming to check you’re alright if we don’t hear from you for a while than you be ill and alone.

Thanks JJ.  I'm going back to the doctor on Wednesday for a blood test so if there is something wrong then it should get picked up then - I will mention the "episode" to them though of course.  I do live alone, but I'm on here pretty much every day and also if I don't log in to my work laptop my colleagues would pick up on it pretty quickly so I'm not too worried about a serious mishap going undetected.

3 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

I googled it and according to the Corsa C forum it seems a popular upgrade to fit the diesel size battery to the 1.2’s so for the sake of an extra tenner I think it’s worth it if it holds a bit more juice. We’ll give it a try!

Update

Fitted the big boy battery and it starts like a beast now. 

However, when I was making sure it starts I noticed the stereo was on.. when I took the key out… with the volume off..

Turns out the radio must be knackered (it’s the original stereo) so it doesn’t go off with the ignition anymore. Hence battery being flat when she doesn’t use it I guess!

Removed the fuse as she said she never uses the stereo hence volume being right down. 

Probably didn’t even need a battery but now it’s got a decent new one along with the radio fuse removed so we can at least rule that out if it plays up again!

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Well my body is doing great today.  After the visit to the doctor this afternoon, earlier this evening coming out of the bathroom I passed out and faceplanted down the stairs.  Fortunately no real damage done apart from bending my glasses (which have more or less straightened out) but a bit worrying.  I'm going for a blood test on Wednesday anyway so I'll mention it then.

It's odd, other than for my Covid jabs I haven't needed to see a doctor in over 10 years, but it seems now everything's going wrong at once...

Good luck and fingers crossed, similar with me after so long of not going to a doctor I feel like I'm falling to bits. I know something isn't right with me, I just can't pinpoint what it is.

47 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Update

Fitted the big boy battery and it starts like a beast now. 

However, when I was making sure it starts I noticed the stereo was on.. when I took the key out… with the volume off..

Turns out the radio must be knackered (it’s the original stereo) so it doesn’t go off with the ignition anymore. Hence battery being flat when she doesn’t use it I guess!

Removed the fuse as she said she never uses the stereo hence volume being right down. 

Probably didn’t even need a battery but now it’s got a decent new one along with the radio fuse removed so we can at least rule that out if it plays up again!

I think you press button 1 and 3, and you can have it off with ignition or not..? Now you've removed the fuse you'll need the code to put it on again?

7 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

I think you press button 1 and 3, and you can have it off with ignition or not..? Now you've removed the fuse you'll need the code to put it on again?

Cheers. Will take a look next time I visit. She’s had the car since it was a year or so old and it’s on its last legs so just keeping it going is enough - she never listens to the radio anyway! 

Collection time. 

Won't be too interesting for now as I'm waiting for a lift off Junkman. 

The car I'm looking at may* have had a slight FTP yesterday. The reason why was disclosed in the ad - I just hope it's not got worse. 

Be fine, right?

43 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Collection time. 

The car I'm looking at may* have had a slight FTP yesterday. The reason why was disclosed in the ad - I just hope it's not got worse. 

Be fine, right?

Most likely just be a head gasket.

59 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Collection time. 

Be fine, right?

How is the FN2 going. Been waiting on updates but haven't seen anything?

15 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I passed out 

faceplanted down the stairs. 

It's odd

You said yourself you're odd in previous thread :)

Def an age thing - currently having issues although not as faceplant due to.low.levels and other shit

Blood test should reveal it - when you get to a certain age (cough) they check for shit they wouldn't say if you were 35 

I'd be more.worried about hurting meself from the faceplant

Couple of advisories but the Mini passed.

5E5B9036-F3C0-4C2B-ABA7-113EC59B436E.thumb.png.adc404cb801450d90400b7f8d3d58718.png

06CCB4E4-6CBB-4A4B-B35A-D5C380732E50.thumb.png.4f9b1bd556b3d4ac77b078d56d7fa08d.png

The reg plate light I think I have a spare for at home. Brake pad light was sorted Sunday but appears to have made a return visit, and I do have the front flexis at home. Annoyingly the flexis were not an advisory last time and are in worse condition than the old rears. Different station, different tester.

Does look like in the near future I’ll be looking at another brake line replacement though. But I’ve had enough of car brakes for the time being, the hoses aren’t about to burst so when I do get a free weekend and this shitty weather ever passes.

20 hours ago, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

It works on a multimeter. It does not work in the car. There is NO REASON for this switch to not work. Yet it does not work. I pulled the stalks off my Mini and tried those. They work. So I need new stalks, so what? Stop complaining and buy some. Yah, sure, I will. But two things about this are infuriating me - first, this was not the fault I was fixing! The indicators worked fine with the broken stalk! Secondly, I wouldn't mind if the switch was just flat out broken, but not being able to find the fault is driving me crazy. There is no reason for this to not work!

Whatever, for now I have my right hand indicator. 

The left is controlled from the stalk. The right is controlled from this discreet under dash switch for now. 

...and if you think "that looks like bodged up shit, you should be ashamed" I fully agree. 

Whenever I see someone wielding their mulltimeter to do more than make the beeping noise, I panic. I know I can work it out eventually, but I'm just never actually confident.

It's usually @SiC or @Zelandeth I see with bench kits and zappers, and my mind just does that Homer-humming-in-his-own-head thing.

Nothing useful to add, like.

21 hours ago, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

It works on a multimeter. It does not work in the car. There is NO REASON for this switch to not work.

This has happened to me - not with Marina indicator stalks - with switches that are connected with plugs. The contact pins in the switch moulding get stressed somehow when the plug is fitted and this stress deflects something such that the damn thing appears to not work. Unplug, continuity check and all is well.

58 minutes ago, Bren said:

Gave the car a wash and polish. Even did the wheels and tailpipes. And even did the glass.20221108_141845.thumb.jpg.ebe26e6cf4b9fcfd3800d0d70a0f1a5f.jpg

Probably the last time I polish it. I hope to move it on in the new year.

Did you get the valve stems sorted in the end on it? 

Presumably that's quite a rapid machine. Is it coupled to an auto for effortless intimidation of other motorists?

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

Did you get the valve stems sorted in the end on it? 

Presumably that's quite a rapid machine. Is it coupled to an auto for effortless intimidation of other motorists?

I had them done three years ago. The cost was a very reasonable £1k - that price included new rocker and upper timing cover gaskets. It meant a trip to Nuneaton but nobody would take the job on nead me - 20 hours labour.

It is quick. It doesn't have the low down stomp you get from a turbo diesel - you need to take it north of 3k for things to happen. After this the pull is pretty relentless - before you know it you are travelling at three figures.

It was either this or a 535d. I did view a  535d but it was higher mileage and not as clean as my car. The vendor freely admitted he could only get 27 mpg out of the car and that was why it was going. Plus the diesel six pots are a bit intrusive above 3.5k rpm.

Mine does low 20's round the doors and mid 30's on a run. I only put high octane fuel in it due to it's age although BMW claim it will run on the latest fuel.

The best compliment I have had was from my sons ' friend who I gave a lift to - he told his father I had an electric car. 

Just now, Bren said:

I had them done three years ago. The cost was a very reasonable £1k - that price included new rocker and upper timing cover gaskets. It meant a trip to Nuneaton but nobody would take the job on nead me - 20 hours labour.

It is quick. It doesn't have the low down stomp you get from a turbo diesel - you need to take it north of 3k for things to happen. After this the pull is pretty relentless - before you know it you are travelling at three figures.

It was either this or a 535d. I did view a  535d but it was higher mileage and not as clean as my car. The vendor freely admitted he could only get 27 mpg out of the car and that was why it was going. Plus the diesel six pots are a bit intrusive above 3.5k rpm.

Mine does low 20's round the doors and mid 30's on a run. I only put high octane fuel in it due to it's age although BMW claim it will run on the latest fuel.

The best compliment I have had was from my sons ' friend who I gave a lift to - he told his father I had an electric car. 

Yes it is auto. For me the worst part of the car.

5 hours ago, tom13 said:

How is the FN2 going. Been waiting on updates but haven't seen anything?

I replaced the front dampers as they were shot, did the top mounts too. Not had a lot else to say about it really, it just works. I want to change the gearbox oil though. 

30 minutes ago, Bren said:

What's making you thinking of selling it? Sounds like the perfect car for the most part.

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

Rotor arm and dizzy cap needed a clean. It runs perfectly. 

No petrol station shot as it had a full tank. 

PXL_20221108_141910418.jpg

PXL_20221108_142516424.jpg

PXL_20221108_142600490.jpg

Nice one! Mega low miles for one of those. Presume it’s a 12 not -24 valve?