The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

38 minutes ago, HMC said:

I have done a buy

CEE74FCC-0DC5-4209-B9FA-ED8AEC2878CF.png

Is it really bad that my first reaction was "I had wondered if that one was still about..."

It's a small world with those cars.  It looked a really solid example last time I saw it for sale though so hopefully will be a good one.

Really wish my last one had been in as good shape as it had been advertised to be, as I really do like them.  

Since I've had it the Laguna has felt a bit rough at idle with lots of vibration inside the cabin. I was told that it's almost certainly a failed top engine mount but it looked fairly new and the rubber was all in good shape. There's a large mount at the bottom of the engine, in the centre with looks like it's designed to absorb engine torque. It looks a bit degraded but still serviceable. Months went by and I put up with the vibration but decided to bite the bullet and replace it. I wasn't sure if it was the mount at fault and new branded ones are  ££££ so did the only sensible thing and bought a used one from eBay for £20.

With the 'goona up in the air I set about removing the bolts holding the mount in. There's two 14mm  bolts holding the main part of the mount and these have to be taken out from the top. After much knuckle scraping I had one out but the second was harder to get to. The 14mm socket on the end of my ratchet fell off and was last heard of pinging back over the subframe and under the steering rack somewhere. After spending an hour looking for it I gave up and tried to use a spanner but there wasn't any room. By this time the 30 minute job had taken nearly 2 hours, my piss was approaching 99 degrees and it had gone dark, I couldn't find my lead lamp so I worked by crappy torch light which was decidedly sub optimal. After much levering of spanners I finally got the last bolt out and had the new mount fitted. A test drive showed the vibration was greatly reduced, although I think much of the annoyance came from my house keys which when attached to the Laguna's key card hang down against the dash and jingle about- a bit of a design fault I think, who doesn't have their house keys on their car "key"?

One 14mm socket down but a quieter car. A fair trade, possibly. The 14mm might even show up eventually!

4 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

Since I've had it the Laguna has felt a bit rough at idle with lots of vibration inside the cabin. I was told that it's almost certainly a failed top engine mount but it looked fairly new and the rubber was all in good shape. There's a large mount at the bottom of the engine, in the centre with looks like it's designed to absorb engine torque. It looks a bit degraded but still serviceable. Months went by and I put up with the vibration but decided to bite the bullet and replace it. I wasn't sure if it was the mount at fault and new branded ones are  ££££ so did the only sensible thing and bought a used one from eBay for £20.

With the 'goona up in the air I set about removing the bolts holding the mount in. There's two 14mm  bolts holding the main part of the mount and these have to be taken out from the top. After much knuckle scraping I had one out but the second was harder to get to. The 14mm socket on the end of my ratchet fell off and was last heard of pinging back over the subframe and under the steering rack somewhere. After spending an hour looking for it I gave up and tried to use a spanner but there wasn't any room. By this time the 30 minute job had taken nearly 2 hours, my piss was approaching 99 degrees and it had gone dark, I couldn't find my lead lamp so I worked by crappy torch light which was decidedly sub optimal. After much levering of spanners I finally got the last bolt out and had the new mount fitted. A test drive showed the vibration was greatly reduced, although I think much of the annoyance came from my house keys which when attached to the Laguna's key card hang down against the dash and jingle about- a bit of a design fault I think, who doesn't have their house keys on their car "key"?

One 14mm socket down but a quieter car. A fair trade, possibly. The 14mm might even show up eventually!

It decided to swallow a 14mm instead of a 10mm, because French - obviously 😁

8 hours ago, Lankytim said:

The 14mm socket may be wedged somewhere and is the actual reason for the lack of vibration. I'd leave it well alone. Either way a good result by the sound of it. 

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

The 14mm socket may be wedged somewhere and is the actual reason for the lack of vibration. I'd leave it well alone. Either way a good result by the sound of it. 

Good point! The vibration will return when it shifts to another location and jams the steering rack though, condemning me to an eternity of orbiting a local roundabout (or until the fuel runs out).

14 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Kings Lynn bangers tonight. Absolutely rammed full.

Good night but bailed early as no seating left & after being stood for 4 hours I was fucked 😂

Was a top night there once again in front of a sell out crowd, I was at the top of the terracing on the road bend so could at least sit down on the steps between races to give my back a rest! Finished at about 10.30 I think, see a few of the regular guys filming so I'm sure there will be more highlights videos to come, but here's one

Does anyone recognise this logo?

IMAG6566.thumb.jpg.413577349ec5474d1007d226ff22438b.jpg

I'm repurposing some green canvas I found in the loft and it had this logo stamped on it, which I obviously turned into a patch without knowing who or what it's for.  I'm assuming a company name or something of that sort.

2 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Does anyone recognise this logo?

IMAG6566.thumb.jpg.413577349ec5474d1007d226ff22438b.jpg

I'm repurposing some green canvas I found in the loft and it had this logo stamped on it, which I obviously turned into a patch without knowing who or what it's for.  I'm assuming a company name or something of that sort.

I now have a very niche barrel bag for the grand sum of £0.

IMAG6568.thumb.jpg.df8d59ea6a436e70e2b1afc974b05f15.jpg

Decided the rover wasn't going to weld itself.20221030_154251.thumb.jpg.94e2a78538bc9f7929509f4b439fdbc3.jpg

made up a section from a cardboard template - transferred to some zintec.

20221030_162027.thumb.jpg.1da13a591700d753add9639695863647.jpg

job jobbed. Had to keep stopping to check for fire - didn't want the the thing to look like the opening credits to tales of the unexpected.

I had previously ran out of seam sealer. A lot of work for a tiny hole - it's why when people ask me to weld nowadays I say no.

20 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Great news! I found the 14mm- bad news, it was last seen bouncing along the gutter on Bordesley Middleway in Birmingham. 

1 hour ago, Bren said:

Decided the rover wasn't going to weld itself.20221030_154251.thumb.jpg.94e2a78538bc9f7929509f4b439fdbc3.jpg

made up a section from a cardboard template - transferred to some zintec.

20221030_162027.thumb.jpg.1da13a591700d753add9639695863647.jpg

job jobbed. Had to keep stopping to check for fire - didn't want the the thing to look like the opening credits to tales of the unexpected.

I had previously ran out of seam sealer. A lot of work for a tiny hole - it's why when people ask me to weld nowadays I say no.

Patches always take the longest I find. Complete panels that fit into place are much quicker and easier. 

That looks small enough that you possibly could have filled it with welds rather than a patch? Run beads either side until it fills the hole. Grind back and then run another bead on any areas a bit thin. 

10 minutes ago, SiC said:

Patches always take the longest I find. Complete panels that fit into place are much quicker and easier. 

That looks small enough that you possibly could have filled it with welds rather than a patch? Run beads either side until it fills the hole. Grind back and then run another bead on any areas a bit thin. 

I was about 40mm long. It needed something letting in.

Don't know where to put this, so here goes.

Tonight I'm approaching traffic lights,  2 lanes I'm in the outside, as turning right.

Lights change amber/ Red. I stop, first in line.

Blues and twos behind me. Look in my nearside mirror, lane is empty and it's coming through.

Lights go green. I sit there. Ambulance goes up my inside, and turns right, across my bows.

Which is fine, that's why I'm sat there with my foot on the brake.

Light is still green, I follow the Ambulance. BUT.

As soon as I'm over the line, light goes Red. I carry on, too far into the junction to stay there.

I didn't realise at the time, but there was no amber in both cases. It went Red-Green-Red

Can an Ambulance change the lights? @Spuriousmay know.

13 minutes ago, Mally said:

Can an Ambulance change the lights?

Not in the UK (at least afaik). Even if they could, it'd make the lights go all red and they'd cross over on an empty junction safer.

You sat there, probably not on an induction loop, would make the traffic light controller think the queuing lanes are empty. I see people roll forward all the time and especially into sections for cyclists, which aren't covered by induction loops. But this makes the lights less likely to prioritise that traffic controlled section.

Also flashing lights at traffic lights does not make them change quicker. The radars on top of the traffic lights have zero capability of detecting headlights. I know this for certainity because I was a designer at the company that designed and manufactured the vast majority of traffic light radars in use in the UK! 

22 minutes ago, SiC said:

Not in the UK (at least afaik). Even if they could, it'd make the lights go all red and they'd cross over on an empty junction safer.

You sat there, probably not on an induction loop, would make the traffic light controller think the queuing lanes are empty. I see people roll forward all the time and especially into sections for cyclists, which aren't covered by induction loops. But this makes the lights less likely to prioritise that traffic controlled section.

Also flashing lights at traffic lights does not make them change quicker. The radars on top of the traffic lights have zero capability of detecting headlights. I know this for certainity because I was a designer at the company that designed and manufactured the vast majority of traffic light radars in use in the UK! 

This sounds right to me @Mally

The only junction that we have control of is in Wigan, I ended up way out of area one time there. Ambulance shares a station with the Water Fairies (fire) and they have a little button they push when going on a shout that turns the crossroad all red when they leave the station so they can make a safer trip quicker over a busy looking junction. That's the only time I've seen a system like that. 

Generally follow roadcraft driving methods which teach us to kill the noise and hang back at a congested red light junction unless I'm going around on the offside.

I tend not to try and push and squeeze at a junction, most the time it's for a job hours old so seconds here and there won't make a difference for increasing the risk for everyone else. The exception is where someone makes a gap for me (without me asking/pushing) and then it's safer for me to take it and making intentions clear rather than leave them in the middle of the road for example. 

As for the Red - Green - Red, I'm stumped. Never seen that @Mally