The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I had to do an actual fix to my car yesterday - myself, this is practically unheard of. Whilst hoovering out the Rover - get me, I don't fucking hoover either. I noticed the smallest of damp patches in the passenger footwell. I checked to see that the coolant was up to level, there's 200ml between max & min. And then I removed the scuttle cover & rodded out the plenum drain with the special tool that I got from the owners club. A hot cup of tea was never so welcome, or so well earned.

2 minutes ago, barefoot said:

I had to do an actual fix to my car yesterday - myself, this is practically unheard of. Whilst hoovering out the Rover - get me, I don't fucking hoover either. I noticed the smallest of damp patches in the passenger footwell. I checked to see that the coolant was up to level, there's 200ml between max & min. And then I removed the scuttle cover & rodded out the plenum drain with the special tool that I got from the owners club. A hot cup of tea was never so welcome, or so well earned.

I forgot you still have a 75!  Does the fair maiden still enjoy it?  

Rodding the plenums is one of the most satisfying of jobs - right up there with cleaning your children's ears and scraping out toe jam.  

Given that my instructions were specifically not to buy an automatic or an estate for her commute, she's taken to it like a duck to water. She occasionally manages to nurse it from 28mpg up to 30, which is pretty good for a two & a half litre petrol V6/Baderbox combination.

14 hours ago, richardmorris said:

This time of year means you don’t have to be up mega early to see dawn on the commute to work. Across chobham common this morning as my usual road closed to fallen tree.

EF328DE9-47FE-4806-803B-CB0B6AB54F60.jpeg

I miss the views from my commute at this time of year.

I do NOT however miss the fact that I was for several months driving due east for 40 miles at dawn or early morning and driving due bloody west for 40 miles every evening around sunset though!

the little red smart car has a usb socket where there should be a 12v socket - handy for charging my phone but precisely sod all use when i need to inflate a soft tyre :( 

parking it next to the mazda and stretching the cable did work but was far from ideal. 

so i parked it up under cover

D59F4867-718B-4113-ADBA-BD672E80785C.thumb.jpeg.4a4c0d0913cba3ef2e46bc16f41e0737.jpeg

and got to work 

232BA0D0-42D9-490A-8305-9EA86B956F19.thumb.jpeg.b56608ae7439faa6221aa76a70942e34.jpeg

sorted

451B3998-38C6-4063-B18F-06EB325E05E8.thumb.jpeg.c2278ae3893fc6a845c999e8a543c09c.jpeg

the fuse box is held in with cable ties, i’ll need to sort that next :( 

but then i got distracted and installed a bass box instead :) 

BF176F79-30A5-42EB-99EC-7D46FE47BDA1.thumb.jpeg.0ec797c20b426d535e6ae67b869018c0.jpeg

ridiculously loud in such a confined space 

Van Vs stag.

pxl_20221021_092847073_copy_960x540.jpg

We were away in the Trafic for a few nights. We were just past Lairg at around 9pm when I saw eyes in the distance. I turned off full beam and slammed the brakes on. I was going very slowly past the panicking deer, probably rolling at around 5mph on the wrong side of the road, when it decided to turn round and run head first into the passenger door.

Paint is cracked and the door is quite badly creased.

I did try to push and dolly it back out but it's still a bit fucked.

pxl_20221025_100647084_copy_960x540.jpg

It'll do for now but I might replace the door, since it's the one vehicle we have that's actually in decent nick and worth anything.

Could have been a lot worse though.

So here it is, getting two new rear tyres as they were cracked to fuck. Other than a grubby interior it seems really strong mechanically , only 92k miles and really feels healthy. I had one of these a while ago off the forum and forgot how they sounded, smooth but also almost agricultural at the same time. Front bumper needs sorting though, the shitty Perspex grill hasn’t been seated properly and it’s loose, and you can see there’s a small bracket on the front right that’s bent back slightly so the old dear who I bought it off had clearly bumped something. No big deal. Small list of stuff to do, including a full service this weekend and demisting the headlamps etc. After a full wet vac inside it should be a nicer place to be.

07008E96-373E-4D46-BDAD-9CB48FC4508F.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Pat Earrings said:

So here it is, getting two new rear tyres as they were cracked to fuck. Other than a grubby interior it seems really strong mechanically , only 92k miles and really feels healthy. I had one of these a while ago off the forum and forgot how they sounded, smooth but also almost agricultural at the same time. Front bumper needs sorting though, the shitty Perspex grill hasn’t been seated properly and it’s loose, and you can see there’s a small bracket on the front right that’s bent back slightly so the old dear who I bought it off had clearly bumped something. No big deal. Small list of stuff to do, including a full service this weekend and delisting the headlamps etc. After a full wet vac inside it should be a nicer place to be.

07008E96-373E-4D46-BDAD-9CB48FC4508F.jpeg

I do like these but never entertained the idea of getting one.

What made you change from the 535D just out of interest? I’m seriously debating one.

24 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I do like these but never entertained the idea of getting one.

What made you change from the 535D just out of interest? I’m seriously debating one.

The fear factor, and coupled with the fact I didn’t need such a large car at the time. Plus it wasn’t economical at all. These are a bit more gruff in comparison but the engines are so strong, and give amazing MPG. The interiors are a bit cheapy, the ride is a bit crashy and the cabin isn’t the most sound insulated either, however I’m still enjoying it.

Presuming it's a diesel, they are an incredibly quiet engine. Agree on the indifferent ride but with comfy seats and cruise they are a great long distance car. Yes the interior is made of hard plastic but its good hard plastic and the design is great, really different. The diesel has tons of torque too. I really rated mine. 

Go for a post facelift 2009-on example as they seem to be better rustproofed. The rear suspension mounts rotting is  a bit of a weak spot.

6 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Presuming it's a diesel, they are an incredibly quiet engine. Agree on the indifferent ride but with comfy seats and cruise they are a great long distance car. Yes the interior is made of hard plastic but its good hard plastic and the design is great, really different. The diesel has tons of torque too. I really rated mine. 

Go for a post facelift 2009-on example as they seem to be better rustproofed. The rear suspension mounts rotting is  a bit of a weak spot.

Yeah I don’t know how to describe it, it is quiet at idle and the way it revs is not like a traditional diesel sound. Lovely things though and this one has lived most of its life in a garage as the body work is dent and scuff free amazingly.

25 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Presuming it's a diesel, they are an incredibly quiet engine.

18 minutes ago, Pat Earrings said:

Yeah I don’t know how to describe it, it is quiet at idle and the way it revs is not like a traditional diesel sound.

It was one of their main marketing points for that engine when it launched:

18 minutes ago, Pat Earrings said:

Yeah sounds like that 😂

im perhaps overly critical. The 6 cylinder of the 5 series was smoother and that’s what I was comparing it against, unfair really.

The 5-series is a very different class of car, so as you say, a bit unfair to compare. It has heaps more soundproofing which helps a lot to mitigate the diesel rattle. Plus 6cyl engines always are naturally smoother than 4cyl (well okay some manufacturers put balance shafts and what not to try mitigating that).

On the 9th gen civic, Honda sorted out the interiors much better. Essentially the same vehicle but refined a lot. It's suspected Honda spent most of the development budget making the 8th gen "spaceship" look funky inside and out but not on complete refinement+fit and finish.

4 minutes ago, SiC said:

The 5-series is a very different class of car, so as you say, a bit unfair to compare. It has heaps more soundproofing which helps a lot to mitigate the diesel rattle. Plus 6cyl engines always are naturally smoother than 4cyl (well okay some manufacturers put balance shafts and what not to try mitigating that).

On the 9th gen civic, Honda sorted out the interiors much better. Essentially the same vehicle but refined a lot. It's suspected Honda spent most of the development budget making the 8th gen "spaceship" look funky inside and out but not on complete refinement+fit and finish.

Totally agree with you, I owned the 9th gen too briefly from @Agilaand by far they had insulated and upgraded the cabin quality.

Pretty much everything coming up to sale next weekend at Sotheby’s was outside my window today - I didn’t seem to get much work done! The delahayes and Talbot lago were superb, but not that valuable it seems.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/home/lots/lf22

Freddie Mercury’s rolls shadow was photographed outside my building ( some photoshop has been done to remove my company signs).  It is wonderfully shabby outside, but I’d rather have it than the similarly priced Mini Cooper with no miles.

EFD28F01-A39F-40CA-8AC2-FCE61D28C434.png

133A36E3-7D0D-4D7F-9C0B-A71C1431883F.png

D6DD8F23-18DC-4DCD-88B6-13B3CA901174.png

5EBA00ED-B129-4FD2-9186-FB0C08118FA1.png

6EAB43FC-F9A3-4B3C-981C-70C5154B1957.png

4 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

No disrespect to your building, but surely a more contrasting background would have shown it better?

I’m not an artist, but yes. They usually photograph them against the red-brick derelict building on the corner, or the aircraft hanger that they are stored in ( it used to house the goodyear blimp in the 1980s).

41D0D2D4-4CA9-4C39-A4E1-3CDF25CF4B55.png

DF499401-F4D2-44C1-9DC3-2E8ACB39DC5C.png

Finally got around to washing the exterior of this Xantia. The engine is working correctly now so manoeuvring it onto the driveway to wash it was easy.

We were given an old shite jet wash the other week and  tried it out on the rather green bodywork. Progress was slow but the results are pretty good! 

The door shuts and inner wings were jetted off and the whole lot washed again with some “Wash N Wax” stuff in a bucket. 

230E5E58-F759-4082-A1D8-754FE7153EF9.jpeg

ED69EDD7-8088-4F7F-A7B8-862B5C6CECCF.jpeg

3 hours ago, Pat Earrings said:

The fear factor, and coupled with the fact I didn’t need such a large car at the time. Plus it wasn’t economical at all. These are a bit more gruff in comparison but the engines are so strong, and give amazing MPG. The interiors are a bit cheapy, the ride is a bit crashy and the cabin isn’t the most sound insulated either, however I’m still enjoying it.

Makes sense! My 335D still got 36-38MPG, is the 5 much worse?

BTW, was listening to Spotify earlier and Casisdead came on. Can’t believe I’ve never noticed the connection before 😂

2 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Makes sense! My 335D still got 36-38MPG, is the 5 much worse?

BTW, was listening to Spotify earlier and Casisdead came on. Can’t believe I’ve never noticed the connection before 😂

Haha come on man, I even stole the display picture 😂

its a bit worse than that in all honesty, on account of the extra weight it carries.