The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

20221016_142543.thumb.jpg.cbc1b8bc8c3fda441f2d218b130bbb70.jpg

My workshop door fell off. I think it was never really meant to be an exterior door. The insides fell to bits, with the consistency of weetabix.

20221016_152231.thumb.jpg.908ab1a2f4a4a706000851ddf7002c64.jpg

The old exterior door now fits, albeit with the inside side out. 

I can even lock it now. As winter rolls on and the weather cools down I'll get back to teardown. For now though, it's my storage. 

Roofing work has continued.  They're currently prioritising getting all the felt and batten work done so it's weatherproof as the weather is going downhill later in the week.  They seem to be a team who work together as a pretty well oiled, efficient machine.

They are continuing to build back up the side we were really worried about, which is a good thing as it shows they're happy enough with the core structure under it.  This is good, as that's what had the potential to multiply the cost of the job by a few times rather than just add bits to it.

We have found more things which need doing though - albeit stuff we were already aware of.  Basically all the gutters and soffit boards are totally knackered.  There was some hope originally that some sections could be salvaged, but it looks like maybe 10-15 metres worth (out of just under 90) are serviceable, so really not worth it.  Would be stupid not to get that done while the scaffolding is already there anyway.  So that's probably going to be somewhere in the region of another eight grand.  We're going to be seeing a slight uplift on the original quote price anyway as on the north facing roof we've had a lot of tile breakages because the battens had sagged so badly.  So the original estimate of 20% wastage has been exceeded.  In the grand scheme of things that's small fry though and I'm not worried about.

Will be really nice to just have it all done though and not have to worry about any of that for a while!  This is all nice attractive stuff to a potential buyer when we come to sell the place too.  While decorating and landscaping isn't maybe so big a factor as anyone moving in is likely to want to redo that to their own tastes, having basically everything above the gutters be newly installed and with 15 years worth of warranty on has surely got to work in our favour.

Isn't home ownership fun!

8 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Roofing

We had the entire roof redone here after the storm. There were a couple sections of soft ply which were changed, all the old roofing removed, the south hip had inadequate bracing so a beam was installed for that; new ridge vent installed, all new flashing for the drain vent risers and an additional heat sealed (tar backed silver plasticky tinfoil stuff) ice and rain underlay before 135 mph Kevlar backed architectural shingle lain on top.

That all came to $17,600. Fun times indeed.

20 hours ago, 17-Coffees said:

I take back that comment about a Sentra...

PXL_20221018_004713689_MP.thumb.jpg.c5ca2105947d6e6143f212194dc60f01.jpg

A fucking Arazona plated Kia Sedona 🤣

Bonus points as can tell its been used as a taxi during 'rona times, due silicon residual left over from a screen behind the front row of seats...

youtube kiaboys for even more good news,although that looks a bit old tbh

Just now, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Any tips for removing a fuel injector that seems to prefer staying in place? don't desire to muller the plastic for the connector.  Going from a YT video the chap used some pliers and levered them out, mine seem quite stuck in place.

What's the car? Petrol or diesel? Direct or indirect injection? 

Maxus passed its MOT today.  Total bill including fitting the TRE and ball joint came to £90 - I can live with that!  I actually got a call from the garage this morning - whoever booked the van in hadn't realised it'd need a full retest, and they didn't think they'd have time to do it today.  Went up there just before 6 (their advertised closing time) and the van was on the brake rollers, so I buggered off and came back a bit later and it was done.  I'll need to get the tracking done at some point but other than that it's ready for another happy year of LDVing...

Oh yeah, I also fitted the new silencer to the Mazda at lunchtime.  Bit pointless really as it's not now going to be going in for an MOT in the foreseeable, but I'd bought the thing so thought I might as well put it on.  Went OK apart from one of the mounting bolts being rather rusty (came undone OK but was a bit of an effort) and has quietened the car down a bit, although the exhaust is still blowing slightly from the front pipe.

20221019_135805.thumb.jpg.58805dcefc349d7d58114340110abf64.jpg

While I was out there, many, many geese flew over. 

20221019_135816.thumb.jpg.8150b7cffe2815a5f693dc1f64f88068.jpg

20221019_135846.thumb.jpg.4515741cc77bc1c5b747fc5f8581ee6e.jpg

https://blacktopmagazine.wordpress.com/2022/10/18/novelty-toyota-defiles-historic-japanese-toilet/?preview_id=391&preview_nonce=4450b204bf&preview=true&_thumbnail_id=446

Failing to code my WordPress site very well, so I wrote a story to test it. 

It's about a WiLL Vi smashing into Japan's oldest toilets. 

3 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Any tips for removing a fuel injector that seems to prefer staying in place? don't desire to muller the plastic for the connector.  Going from a YT video the chap used some pliers and levered them out, mine seem quite stuck in place.

🤦‍♂️

Why are you removing injectors before doing a compression test and making damn sure the coil and appropriate lead are good? 

What year Micra is it? Later K11s had pencil coils, only the early ones had HT leads and a dizzy.

28 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

🤦‍♂️

Why are you removing injectors before doing a compression test and making damn sure the coil and appropriate lead are good? 

What year Micra is it? Later K11s had pencil coils, only the early ones had HT leads and a dizzy.

It's a very early one, most definitely HT leads and dizzy.

So I took the day off today to do an oil change on my 924. Decided to treat it to a new sump plug and washer while I was at it. Drained oil, changed filter, fitted new sump plug, filled with new oil... then I found a sump plug washer on the ground under the car. Yes, it was the new one. Must have fallen off the new sump plug when I was fumbling about under the car trying to fit it 😡.

Then when I was backing the car back into the garage, the wind caught the plastic sheeting I had put down to catch the spills and now there's oil all over my monoblock driveway. Which I only got professionally cleaned last month 🤬. Just as well I found another bag of diatomaceous earth in the attic the other day...

I put a deposit on a new car today,  naturally it's pre-broken and I can't bring it home until something else leaves.  A slack ebay dispatch means that the new fuel filter housing for the van is going to be lost in the post for fucking ages.  I support the strike, but not ebay bumholes who say they've posted things on the 17th that don't actually make it into the Post Office for a further 2 days.

3 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

1. We have checked spark the HT lead is sparking 100% fine.

2. We don't have a compression test unit handy and swapping injectors would rule out fuel since C1 fires just fine, running on the basics Spark, Fuel, Air as our diagnosis. 

3. With no spark plug in C4 when the engine was fired up while we checked for spark you could hear the air being pushed out of C4, now I know this is not as good as a compression test, but myself and my buddy are confident it has compression.

Either it's a dead/stuck injector, or a stuck valve that has not dropped.

1) you can't be 100% sure of that by pulling a plug out and earthing it against the block. Existence of a spark does not equal a good spark. 

2) buy one, literally £12.50 and anyone who fiddles with cars needs one. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363846164185?

3) 20 psi would still be compression but it's inadequate. No way you can measure compression accurately by running the engine without a plug in. I'm not sure how you can even come to the conclusion that there's compression when there's nothing to compress! Air will be inducted and escape through the path of least resistance on the compression stroke which will be the spark plug hole. As soon as the plug is back in it'll escape somewhere else - i.e burned valve seat. 

As I've already said, you don't need to swap injectors around to rule out fuel. Spray some easy start or brake cleaner into the intake and see how it behaves. If it still runs like shit then you know it's definitely getting fuel to cyl 4 along with the air 

Don't forget you have valve overlap in valve timing. So the test you found on YouTube isn't entirely foolproof

Pulling injectors is a ridiculous diagnostic procedure, you have the risk of breaking 2 injectors if they don't come out in one piece, before knowing what your compression figures are

If I started pulling injectors before doing a sodding compression test I'd be out of a job. Not really, but you get the point. 

A burned valve is more likely than a stuck valve..

13 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

I didn't know Milton Keynes had a castle 😲 

90 metres of guttering !!!

8k for fascias, soffit and guttering... Gold plated 🤔

Around £100/metre seemed to be the going rate for replacement of the soffit boards (rather than just sticking new over the old) when I looked a couple of months back.  The cheapest quote we got for it was 5K, and that required us to provide the scaffolding ourselves.  The guy who gave us that quote also very much gave me the impression that the materials used would have "fallen off the back of someone else's van."

There's a lot of boarding on this house.  The fact that there's three levels of it out back doesn't help in that respect either.

Either way I know the guys we have working here just now aren't the cheapest, but I'd rather have a job done properly than done cheaply at the end of the day.  The fact that the previous owner of this place had *everything* done by the lowest possible bidder has been one of our biggest headaches since the day we moved in here.

My sister's appliance and the vehicle of the future next to it.

It is my favourite vehicle, you feel like you are floating on this boosty veg fuelled cloud, it has an XUD9TF engine with a Bosch pump. I turned up the fuel pump with @Supernaut's assistance, the gearing is quite short but it will do 80MPH uphill and keep accelerating, and keeps up with most traffic now. I put Maxxis all season van tyres on it and it feels very secure on the road now it's cold and wet.

It's class.

IMG_20221019_155200_MP.jpg

IMG_20221015_091932_MP.jpg

I'd be interested to try one of those with the XUD9TF.  I've had a few but they've either had DW8 power* or DW10 which go well enough but are quite high geared.

I did once have a Fiat Ducato van with the turbo XUD and that was hilarious - ran out of revs at 78 in 5th but accelerated like a scalded cat.

Had a Rover 75 in this morning for some MOT repairs to go back for retest elsewhere.

It's reaffirmed how much I want one

It was a 1.8 Manual so more resembled a boat anchor but I still would

Sills were clean with only surface corrosion on the inner side. They looked original too. Only things were the rear upper arms which were very scabby and probably be needing changed before long. Ok for now though 

Was just all the normal R75 shit - airbag light, exhaust, bonnet stuck shut, cloudy headlights etc but all done now, very refreshing to work on older chod in addition to the modern crap 😁

Especially when I knew exactly how to release the stuck bonnet and sort the SRS light, as does every Rover owner probably!