The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

50 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

is it just me or does that can look too long

nice trumpet tho

I thought that, but it's a genuine triumph can. I think if it was angled up more it would look better? However I think they are that low for the panniers boxes, which I have acquired some of. So I'll put them on and see how it looks. 

Failing that a free'er (louder) shorter can my be required 😁

New dampers, top mounts and spark plugs for the Type R this weekend. The difference is significant, it's running better and sounds healthier, and the suspension is vastly improved. The offside damper would have served a better purpose as a slide whistle... 

image.thumb.png.096f6064e4ca53e9f15baffa34f39af0.png

The spark plugs had a decent innings to say the least...

8 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Got a quote for a skip today, thought it’d be easier than a load of trips to the tip

£220 for a 6 yard skip, Jesus fucking Christ 

Maybe not!

We’ve got a big arse tipper trailer on my (building) firm. Hardcore and dirt are a free tip at our local place though have to pay to dump the other crap. Saves a bundle on skips mind and also avoids the permits required in some places. Where are you? The trailer is mainly always in use though could work out.

That's about the going rate. 

When we had a huge clear out, it unexpectedly filled the skip right to the top.

So that would have been van hire for a weekend as none of our cars are particularly big , fuel and what would almost certainly have been 20 runs to the tip, loading and unloading and most importantly, having to deal with the truly awful local recycling centre, where we would have had to queue for 20 minutes each time, and the same again inside just to get to the relevant skips. There would also probably some sort of fee payable to the council as we were bringing a van.

I'm sure some on here would pretend to be heroes and do it in a van borrowed for free but I'm not one of those and would rather cough up and give someone money for a skip. As such our clear out was very therapeutic. 

4 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

That's about the going rate. 

When we had a huge clear out, it unexpectedly filled the skip right to the top.

So that would have been van hire for a weekend as none of our cars are particularly big , fuel and what would almost certainly have been 20 runs to the tip, loading and unloading and most importantly, having to deal with the truly awful local recycling centre, where we would have had to queue for 20 minutes each time, and the same again inside just to get to the relevant skips. There would also probably some sort of fee payable to the council as we were bringing a van.

I'm sure some on here would pretend to be heroes and do it in a van borrowed for free but I'm not one of those and would rather cough up and give someone money for a skip. As such our clear out was very therapeutic. 

For household waste in the Falkirk dumps you can get a free permit to use a van. 

Agree that a skip saves messing about if you have loads to shift. 

4 minutes ago, Rustybullethole said:

We’ve got a big arse tipper trailer on my (building) firm. Hardcore and dirt are a free tip at our local place though have to pay to dump the other crap. Saves a bundle on skips mind and also avoids the permits required in some places. Where are you? The trailer is mainly always in use though could work out.

It’s ok, it’s one of those things that as @Split_Pinsays does actually compute if you break down the cost and cost inconvenience of a million tip runs. 

I just didn’t think it was that much for some reason! 

Aye, skips aren't that awfully priced all things considered. I did the "9 million tip runs" job when we did loads of work on our old house, the tip was only 2 miles away. My best count was 18 trips in one morning getting rid of hardcore.

I'd have bloody loved to get a skip, but it was a terraced street so we'd have ended up with the skip halfway down the street and the bloody thing would have been filled up by the neanderthal neighbours by the next morning.

I could in theory do it by trips to the tip but it’s the type of shit I need to move that makes a skip easier.

For example when we moved in, we made a compost bin out of 7 wooden pallets, I need to dismantle it and get rid of the pallets plus the contents of garden waste/soil out of it. That would be a nightmare by car. 

Then there’s 3 sheds of random stuff I need to sort, plus the house. The idea of having a skip I can just lob stuff in makes things way more convenient. 

I don’t know how long you get a skip for though, I’ll have to ring and ask. Ideally I’d want it a few weeks so I can sort on evenings and weekends but I guess it’s more like 7-10 days. 

Once we get an exchange date, I’ll try and book a skip for a couple of weeks before then. 

Just now, Noel Tidybeard said:

indeed getting them to go away can be a lenghthy process

Yup! Mate of mine hired a skip, filled it with stuff and the company just stopped answering the phone and all the doors were locked at their premises. 3 months later companies house showed they'd gone bust, so he rang another skip hire company, told them the story and they happily came and collected the skip FOC. They'd collected dozens in the same situation and were happy for a free skip.

another 2 months after that, one of the original directors of the skip hire place came belting on my mates front door angrily asking "what have you done with my fucking skip?"

59 minutes ago, cobblers said:

They're not usually in a rush for the skip back, a few weeks is no bother

Just checked and the one I enquired with said up to 10 days, if I can get it delivered at the end of a week and get 2 weekends with it that should be doable 

My stepson starts his new job today. He's been back from his masters in aerospace engineering about six weeks and I was sick of him hanging around the house and not contributing. The graduate jobs don't come out till next summer apparently.

I was at my mates yard pricing up a wood burner and radiators for a bar that he built on site. I asked him if he had owt going stepson went for an interview with him on Saturday morning. He's put him on the ground works team.

http://www.hffce.co.uk/

Graduate jobs?  You need to be applying 6 months before you graduate. I'd suggest that if he wants to get ahead in Engineering, he tries to get any role in any manufacturing company.  There are  loads of temp shop floor level jobs available at the moment. 

Just now, reb said:

lol

Obviously I still live in 1989, when there was the "milk round" which got me offers at Britsh Aerospace, Lucas, Austin Rover and another I can't remember the name of.  

All required getting a Desmond. Lucas staring salary was £200 a year more than BAe. And £1800 a year more than Austin. 

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

He wanted proper hard graft for gains. He's a bit of a fitness freak. Did 65 miles on his pushbike yesterday.

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-63227490.amp

Perhaps he could work in a ship yard.  Don't know what the split between agency and premie will be, but it will be decent money. (Mind you the security clearance takes a few weeks) 

3 hours ago, paulplom said:

He wanted proper hard graft for gains. He's a bit of a fitness freak. Did 65 miles on his pushbike yesterday.

If hes a fitness freak  the company I work for are always looking for staff, he'll probably get to lift 5-8 tons of car panels a day