The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 minutes ago, Asimo said:

Might just be a dead sparking plug… 

Or injector, or injector wiring.

Or ecu, or HT lead, or dizzy cap, or rotor arm, 

Not game over til its had a compression test (unless it's a 1.2 VAG 3cyl in which case as soon as the MIL flashes to indicate a misfire you must  immediately drive to the nearest scrapyard and get a taxi home)

Forgot to take a before pic but did the first bit of house moving prep today and took down the 2 trellis panels we put up a couple of years ago as Amber wants them at the new place. 

I had set the posts in postcrete but somehow they luckily just wiggled out of the ground leaving the concrete behind. The slab the oil tank sits on looked awful after, properly green and caked in moss so I gave that and the tank a good pressure wash. 

724F9298-DF54-4F4F-9C61-2249116A45DB.jpeg

1 hour ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Will sit in my drive till we buy something else as an insurance anchor. Time for a brew.

Just a heads up, unless you're close to another year of NCB, just cancel the policy. Earned NCB is valid and transferrable for 2 years from the policy expiry/cancellation. Put the saved insurance and tax money in a pot to fund the next car, and get the car fragged while scrap is still high. Should see an easy £300 from it, maybe more?

So begins the long trek back to England.  So far already been admonished by security for my choice of legware (apparently having large pockets is bad as the new X-ray machines identify them as a threat).  If that's the worst of it I'll take that as a win for now.

If it weren't for the challenges in particular with healthcare system over here in the US I could see us looking at moving over here.  Michigan isn't a bad place to be.  Sadly with the laundry list of medical issues we have as a family, the monthly health insurance bill would be more than we're paying on our mortgage currently.

I'd forgotten how friendly folks over here were, it really is a very different culture to England, at least any areas I've known.

15 hours ago, 17-Coffees said:

Officially on Holiday till the end of the Month, I bugger of back to Oregon on Monday! The fun part will be finding out what I get as a rental car, as I've booked 'wild card' essentially is getting a 'compact' for cheaper than if  I just picked 'compact', but there's a very slim chance I could be thrown the keys to something else! 

I'll probably end up with a Sentra again, but I'll try my luck and maybe see about an upgrade pending cost and what else is in stock.

pick the smallest youll get versa corrolla maybe focus elantra maybe :D

even tho ive seen chevy spark in usa no way i think you get one as a rental

And done, just before sundown.

PXL_20221015_154829648.thumb.jpg.2f9b5209e7822d8a64ccd6828c78ccef.jpgPXL_20221015_171722084.thumb.jpg.43355d5111a8571ed399b23213c5b143.jpg

It wasn't without some difficulty - the bumper isn't secured to the wing yet because I need it on ramps. I need to find a 10mm nut from somewhere for a piece just underneath the bonnet catch. Apart from that, all is good.

the mighty v6 misfire got worse on the way home to the missus gaff after shopping... got pi%%ed off nothing obvious, realized the ht leads ive ordered off amazon are down to be delivered in 2025..lol..grr and so ordered ecp and out of stock till Monday...

defeated i resorted to my London roots and make a brew and have the hump..

8631ab97e24e0f25503dd6e2cf41730f--happy-tea-happy-love.jpg

V6 misfires! You’ve reminded me of my other news… 

Back in July I applied to the council for a trailer permit for the tip. 7 weeks later they rejected it on the basis that my car (The Pontiac) was a van. So I appealed.

Friday had a letter from them where they admitted they had mis-identified the vehicle as their research had shown the TransSport as a Minivan… and that they now realises this is an American term for people carrier… 

So I can now take the TransSport, and the trailers full of garden waste which have been slowly rotting on my driveway for the past couple of months to the tip. 

Except that the Pontiac is now misfiring and may well not quite have the guts to pull the trailers to the tip… 

Fucksake. 

Detroit airport is a very long building.

IMG_20221015_150017.thumb.jpg.d523fb433558f9e983d93290776d6437.jpg

Our onward flight is now helpfully showing as "delayed" with no further explanation or estimates shown...never a good sign.

The inbound flight is on time...so not late arrival of that (assuming they're turning the same plane around to head back anyway, which there's no guarantee of).

33 minutes ago, brownnova said:

V6 misfires! You’ve reminded me of my other news… 

Back in July I applied to the council for a trailer permit for the tip. 7 weeks later they rejected it on the basis that my car (The Pontiac) was a van. So I appealed.

Friday had a letter from them where they admitted they had mis-identified the vehicle as their research had shown the TransSport as a Minivan… and that they now realises this is an American term for people carrier… 

So I can now take the TransSport, and the trailers full of garden waste which have been slowly rotting on my driveway for the past couple of months to the tip. 

Except that the Pontiac is now misfiring and may well not quite have the guts to pull the trailers to the tip… 

Fucksake. 

Not got a tow bar on a 2cv then? I admit I only use mine for the bike rack.

8 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Neither of my Deux Chevauxs have the tow bar… if they did it would absolutely have been the tip tow car of choice 😂

I’ve a load of stuff needing a trip to the tip but Surrey Heath council have used the last couple of years to justify closing for five days out of seven. 

3 hours ago, HMC said:

Got an ex pub landlord shogun. Chalk and cheese compared to the outgoing e65 730d. 

The al- quaeda vibe is reinforced by logos on the front wings that Google lens tells me is a logo of a weaponry/arms manufacturer…

311630E4-DDDA-46E6-987C-18AB8EE16D81.thumb.jpeg.d9a55f590fae4cf9e7144429f5ae02e5.jpeg

6D36410B-0B58-49D1-9F3A-00CB2D665963.thumb.jpeg.876d0256905b5013c275a12e09dbc9f2.jpeg

36E6DDB3-0F45-4D84-94F9-47A8AD5722A7.thumb.jpeg.883fa8952dde03a3945b75068b4ad66d.jpeg

I forgot about that. You used to see Beretta stickers on stuff like that quite a bit years ago

6 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Well the K11 is dead.

Stuck valve cylinder number 4.

Checked plugs had spark, replaced them anyhow because cheap, no change you can remove the HT lead from cylinder 4 and the engine idle does not change. 

Bought 2017 at 62k as first car did my test in it, dead at 122k.

Will sit in my drive till we buy something else as an insurance anchor. Time for a brew.

Compression test is a must. If you've got ~0 psi on Cyl 4 then yes it's scrap. If it's low it's probably not going to be stuck, but rather burned out. If it's fine then you need to interrogate the fuel and ignition system a bit more.

Just because you've got a spark doesn't mean it can't misfire

Spray easy start into the intake and see if it improves, then you'll know if an injector is faulty

Etc etc 

It's a bit hasty to write the car off based on a youtube video, If I followed every youtube video then any car I look at probably would have more wrong with it than it does right!! 

On 10/14/2022 at 6:53 PM, AnnoyingPentium said:

Fiat Punto?

On 10/14/2022 at 6:56 PM, horriblemercedes said:

21 plate Mercedes Sprinter

😅

On 10/14/2022 at 7:14 PM, Rust Collector said:

Is it my other BX estate?

No - promise 🙃😅

On 10/14/2022 at 8:53 PM, richardmorris said:

KA?

Warm...

10 hours ago, 3VOM said:

The sill shape isn't even close to the door outline. I'd be worried that is all wob in that corner.

Oh absolutely, you can see the white outline, its all wob. 

The only thing holding it together underneath before all that crusty crap fell out was the rubbery underseal that someone had sprayed over it. 

And the answer is...

...A MK5 smiley Transit.

Surprised, said nobody ever 😅

Yay, our plane has finally arrived (not the one from Heathrow, so that was the cause for our delay).  We'll be leaving ~2.5 hours late.

The flight that just arrived (1820 local time) was due in at 0530 this morning...so I have sympathy for the poor folks just getting off the aircraft!

So we'll be departing around 2030 local - and arriving in Heathrow at 0833 local the following morning.  Taking bets on how many weeks it takes my body clock to figure out what on earth is going on...

1 minute ago, High Jetter said:

We've moved house a few times, but never taken the fence with us! Respect!

It was just two trellis panels around the oil tank, still very good condition and saves us buying again. I have spent a fortune on this rental house stock fencing 150ft perimeter and fitting 5 bar wooden gates that we are leaving so a couple of bits of trellis I’m definitely keeping to save £60 😂