The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

It's been a busy... err 10 days of which I have been decorating, laying laminate and all that glorious shizz.  All the while car stuff backed up  further.

I finally relented and got the Volvos fucked locking wheel nuts off, I tried but they were killed and only 2 came off so  i made it somone else problem and paid some professionals. 

Today tho I pulled the XJs master cylinder and  after  some faff... it now has effective brakes again.  The seals were shot and had gone soft and  the main seal had a good tear. It was  pretty grim inside but it is 50 years old in 2 months and doesnt appear to have ever been touched.

20221014_132731.jpg

20221014_133320.jpg

12 hours ago, reb said:

Rise and grind.

20221014_085449.thumb.jpg.f5492375851133e7c0524e54b59ba410.jpg

Gentle start to the day cross referencing 205 parts, we'll see what else the day brings.

some extreme tension on that power cable, fam; had that been me it would have already have tipped the coffee over the laptop, table, floor and my kecks. 

2 hours ago, Vantman said:

@Rust Collector  I have a genuine Citroen gaiter,95 577 323 and a non genuine clip if you need it.  A remnant of my BX days!

Trying to be efficient* I actually ordered two boots from the Netherlands this morning, €80!!

It could still be handy to have a spare though, feel free to drop me a PM and let me know how many beer tokens you’re after!

2 hours ago, alcyonecorporation said:

some extreme tension on that power cable, fam; had that been me it would have already have tipped the coffee over the laptop, table, floor and my kecks. 

I am actually amazed that the cable has stayed plugged in there. On my SurfacePro you just have to look at it and it falls out the socket. Either that or it thinks it's in tablet mode when the keyboard is still connected. I'm glad it isnt mine.

2 hours ago, alcyonecorporation said:

Unavoidable because the mains portion of the cable isn't long enough to have the brick on the table. The plug is held in with a relatively weak magnet so it's more likely to yeet itself out than knock anything over.

10 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Theres something you guys dont know about me.  A recently untold secret that has been eating me inside. Keeping me awake. 

A new thing in my life, as the old one just wasnt any good it seems. 

So here it is. 

20221014_132546.thumb.jpg.5ab214d4f0fd2269bcb68457f05783f8.jpg

I guess the cats out of the bag now. 

Im exhausted. 

go on, go, now! 1264710134_illgetmecoat.gif.cdbaf651d82047b6a8738e8d5c62ce9a.gif

May* have crossthreaded the expansion tank cap on the 850 and didn't realise because I was rushing. It only became apparent when I decided to go for a blast around the lanes on my way home. It got a bit warm and went into limp mode. Lesson learned.

Officially on Holiday till the end of the Month, I bugger of back to Oregon on Monday! The fun part will be finding out what I get as a rental car, as I've booked 'wild card' essentially is getting a 'compact' for cheaper than if  I just picked 'compact', but there's a very slim chance I could be thrown the keys to something else! 

I'll probably end up with a Sentra again, but I'll try my luck and maybe see about an upgrade pending cost and what else is in stock.

1 hour ago, 17-Coffees said:

Officially on Holiday till the end of the Month, I bugger of back to Oregon on Monday! The fun part will be finding out what I get as a rental car, as I've booked 'wild card' essentially is getting a 'compact' for cheaper than if  I just picked 'compact', but there's a very slim chance I could be thrown the keys to something else! 

I'll probably end up with a Sentra again, but I'll try my luck and maybe see about an upgrade pending cost and what else is in stock.

Toyota Camry probably. That’s what I always end up with in USA or Canada.

Tried to swap the insurance from the 306 I had to the replacement Lex/ota Altezza.

Current insurer doesn't cover RWD stuff.

Oh fudge!

Did get sorted as the car is still unregistered at the moment and need it insured for getting it taxed/rego'd. Reminds me, need to do another V55/5 because I R THICK and messed it up.

6 minutes ago, Asimo said:

Might just be a dead sparking plug… 

Or injector, or injector wiring.

Or ecu, or HT lead, or dizzy cap, or rotor arm, 

Not game over til its had a compression test (unless it's a 1.2 VAG 3cyl in which case as soon as the MIL flashes to indicate a misfire you must  immediately drive to the nearest scrapyard and get a taxi home)

Forgot to take a before pic but did the first bit of house moving prep today and took down the 2 trellis panels we put up a couple of years ago as Amber wants them at the new place. 

I had set the posts in postcrete but somehow they luckily just wiggled out of the ground leaving the concrete behind. The slab the oil tank sits on looked awful after, properly green and caked in moss so I gave that and the tank a good pressure wash. 

724F9298-DF54-4F4F-9C61-2249116A45DB.jpeg

1 hour ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Will sit in my drive till we buy something else as an insurance anchor. Time for a brew.

Just a heads up, unless you're close to another year of NCB, just cancel the policy. Earned NCB is valid and transferrable for 2 years from the policy expiry/cancellation. Put the saved insurance and tax money in a pot to fund the next car, and get the car fragged while scrap is still high. Should see an easy £300 from it, maybe more?