The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

29 minutes ago, trigger said:

Cunts 🤬

Screenshot_20221007_081014_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.363ee6d29d39ea4657480a9e3d4eddc8.jpg

Screenshot_20221007_081022_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.49bf422e75d40674b684b126291801b6.jpg

Unbelievable, I sold this a couple of days ago for £3300 and its already up on Facebook for £5500! He hasn't even bothered to take new photos! Mega annoying

People can ask what they want for a price. Doesn't mean it'll sell at that of course!

Classic car market especially has slowed right down. So much stuff is not shifting.

Flipping classic cars is going to be a risky business at the moment. Especially at this time of year when the classic car market starts slowing down in the next month or so. 

All true, just annoying though, to be honest I sold it at what I think it's worth, the rear panel is rotten, there's a hole in the wheel tub on the offside as well as needing a new arch and the mileage is likely incorrect plus it was crash damaged and the tailgate was crooked and wiring damaged in the hinges

It would make a good daily at £3300 but it's certainly no £5500 car without new arches, cambelt and back panel

Good luck to him. It always astounds me when people buy a car at seemingly market value and then immediately try and flip it without improving it in any way. What are they thinking? The fact he doesn't seem to know how to spell or use capital letters is going to put people off anyway.  He will never sell it at that price.

😂 Have to start calling you Mystic Meg! 

To be fair I made £1000 on it so I can't complain but it's annoying when you do all the hard work for some other twat to flip it straight away making no effort for a big 'profit', His Facebook profile is fake as well, his real names Howard. 

I had the same happen earlier this year when I sold that Fiesta Van too 🙄

Same happened to your P6 too didn't it? 

He might never sell it, he's taking a big punt especially at the moment. Or he might and be quids in. Like you say, you've made your money and had a cool car to smoke around in for a bit. 

Plus you did say the ones up for big money (that was Family Fortunes, not Price is Right though) have been hanging around for a bit so you probably priced it right for a quick sale. 

As said they'll never sell it. The same happened to the guy that bought my old Cavalier. He kept it and improved it for a year but as soon as he sold it to a guy called Sean, it was back up on Gumtree by someone who expected us to believe his name was Henry, described as a 2.0 when it was just a 1.8 and wanting to swap for an Impreza. He was rumbled in quick time.

Agreed it happens but, I hate to say it, these folk are just wannabes without any clue what they are doing. He'll never make a penny.

Really annoying but at the same time they’ve paid a price you were willing to take so it’s fair game to a certain extent - doesn’t make it any less frustrating though and still a bit immoral.

I see it a lot with Youtube resellers I watch, people rage at the fact they buy things from charity shops to sell on eBay for a profit - you could argue they’ve paid the price the charity shop we’re charging for it so why does it matter? 

I constantly buy things from car boot sales that I list on eBay within hours for sometimes fairly big profits. 

20 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

I don't know if there is any demand, these days with mobby calc apps 🤔

However, needing a BIG CLEAR display? Can't beat this today!!

Luvverly 😋

IMG_20221005_190833.jpg

*NOT displayed as 'clearance £1'.....

I can remember when that would have cost you about £40 when £100 was a decent weekly wage.

( actually it would have been an LED display that used 4 AA batteries in about 15 minutes.)

1 hour ago, trigger said:

the rear panel is rotten, there's a hole in the wheel tub on the offside as well as needing a new arch and the mileage is likely incorrect plus it was crash damaged and the tailgate was crooked and wiring damaged in the hinges

Got any pics? Would be a terrible shame if someone stuck them on his ads 

3 hours ago, trigger said:

All true, just annoying though, to be honest I sold it at what I think it's worth, the rear panel is rotten, there's a hole in the wheel tub on the offside as well as needing a new arch and the mileage is likely incorrect plus it was crash damaged and the tailgate was crooked and wiring damaged in the hinges

With the greatest of great respect (and I love you young Michael) - you didn't list any of that stuff in your advert either!  I know because I was perilously close to pulling the trigger (pun intended).

I doubt he'll sell it - certainly not quickly - but it only takes one buyer.  If it's how he feeds his kids, then so what?  

Sorry man, I know this post isn't particularly 'on message' - but this sort of thing has gone on since the beginning of time.

Don't let it stress you out.  It's certainly not stressing him!

Dx

It's fine, as I say I did say in the ad there was no history to back up the mileage and the rear panel is only noticeable if you remove the back bumper, I treated it with some kurust and painted it with some red hammerite.

I was just a bit annoyed. I did message him to say I was disappointed to see it back up for so much after his initial keenness and he's replied apologising as it was a knee jerk reaction due to him spending £1200 on some new alloys for it that didn't fit and it overheated? (I spent a hour in traffic in it on Tuesday and the gauge never moved from the middle...) never the less apparently it's now at his garage and it's a stuck thermostat and the garage have told him it's a really good car and he's now keeping it so who knows. 

2 hours ago, trigger said:

It's fine, as I say I did say in the ad there was no history to back up the mileage and the rear panel is only noticeable if you remove the back bumper, I treated it with some kurust and painted it with some red hammerite.

I was just a bit annoyed. I did message him to say I was disappointed to see it back up for so much after his initial keenness and he's replied apologising as it was a knee jerk reaction due to him spending £1200 on some new alloys for it that didn't fit and it overheated? (I spent a hour in traffic in it on Tuesday and the gauge never moved from the middle...) never the less apparently it's now at his garage and it's a stuck thermostat and the garage have told him it's a really good car and he's now keeping it so who knows. 

Sounds like a chancer to me. Nothing wrong with that as such, but... still a chancer.

After having to call them twice when they failed to call me, Kwik Fit have finally called me back and are sending a fitter tomorrow evening to make right. 

They don't know why the previous fitter couldn't complete the job and won't until he's back on shift on Monday. I think he's also chipped the paint on one of my wheels as there are several fresh looking large chips around the lip of the wheel, tapering outwards to the lip. 

7 hours ago, grogee said:

@Cluffy has a story about keys locked in car ... 

Thanks George, I don’t think I’ll ever forget this one  

A day that was going so well. @grogeegave me a lift to pick up my V12 XJ-S from long term storage and we had a nice burger onboard halfway home. Cruising along and it started making alarming noises so i pull over (engine still running). 

Cant see anything visible poking head underneath as best as possible. Then I try and get back into the car to find the doors locked and no other key on my person. To add to the ridiculousness of the situation is that I’d just had spares cut and they were dangling on the same key ring hanging out of the ignition!

Queue 30 minute wait for AA man who tried with rods etc to unlock but in the end we needed to smash a quarter light to get in. 

Lessons learned. 1) Don’t leave keys in ignition when leaving a car and 2) Always keep spares separate from original keys!

1 hour ago, Cluffy said:

Lessons learned. 1) Don’t leave keys in ignition when leaving a car and 2) Always keep spares separate from original keys!

I went through a phase of getting out of my van and locking my door leaving the keys in the ignition. Had to get handy with wire coathangers on a few occasions. I always have 2 sets of keys in my pocket (1 for home and a bigger one for work) so solved the problem by putting a spare key on the work set.

On 10/5/2022 at 3:53 PM, SiC said:

Another Ceri delivery! This one actually got the neighbours out for a look.

But TL;DR it's a one owner local Bristol car that was his company car. Creme Cake (iirc) was in use until 2004 when it failed it's MOT and parked up for restoration. Left outside since then, it sadly slowly deteriorated.
They had a number of lovely pre-war Austins in the garage which presumably was always the main interest and this just never got done.
The chap passed away and the family decided that this had to be sold. When the cat came out from underneath and more rust fell out, they knew it was never going back on the road.

I paid basically scrap price for it. I hate the idea of ever scrapping a car but this is by far past it. I'll primarily be using it for body cuts and the like. Maybe selling the odd part cheap if anyone is after anything. My purchase money went to a Parkinson charity, so will only be right if I donate a proportion of anything I sell there too.

I'll do a video later of it after work. Apparently the engine runs really sweet. Ceri mentioned it even drove onto the trailer under its own power!
0e57c067c827a74f0e5549421675ab18.jpg
46c9eb54424527bd2dabe8aaa97b9b32.jpg
3f77ef25f022bdfd2624b55bedbd18ba.jpg
7a9a5f3e11d63386504f01b09d5c2a00.jpg

My better half would like to know what is the car in the garage with the carboard boxes on the bonnet?

I have no idea myself tbh

On a similar subject re flipping-

About 4 months ago I nearly bought a wolseley landcrab for 2k. I’ve seen it up more recently for £5k in basically the same condition as was then. 

Im pretty philosophical about it- Selling is such a ball ache good luck to them. Ultimately  I’m in it for the love of cars, I make my money elsewhere; but for some it’s their main income stream.