The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

33 minutes ago, Tubbo said:

Also as I was unable to tax the car after leaving @pilninggas place after about 400 yards I passed a vehicle tax check van parked in a lay-by 😳

I taxed it when I got to a service station about an hour later so I don’t know if this will be picked up?

Anyway a big thank you 🙏 once again to @pilninggas for helping me get the car!

Ahh..... 'Untaxed Vehicle' ,eh 😮

Yesterday, leaving the house to get shopping/lunch, there was a burly guy chaining a car in our street + BIG sticker on drivers window....

Returned home an hour or so later... No change.

A little later I went out to the car to get something and, yay... Burly  guy unchaining car and being watched by a rather fidgety continental gent. Car on UK plates.

#also a parking ticket on it, for overstaying the local resident control, likely triggered Tax Check 🙄

Having just spunked £180 by DirDebt, I must say it makes you think 😱😮

🚙💨

1 minute ago, Andyrew said:

Why on earth would you put through a bonded rear window instead of the easily replaceable ,  bolt in front window?

3 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Why on earth would you put through a bonded rear window instead of the easily replaceable ,  bolt in front window?

Didn’t fancy a long drive home covered in glass with the wind in my hair

1 hour ago, Tubbo said:

So, after putting a call out on here for someone to look at a car for me @pilninggas offered to help. 
He not only went to look at the car, he negotiated a deal and bought it for me and then got it back to his house.

I went to collect it today, and as the train service was to pot the train that was running when I left home was no longer running when I got to Bristol. So after a £60 taxi ride I finally got to his house.

He had told me he was going to be at work so left the key in a safe place for me.

After finding the key and starting the car I tried taxing it but the server was down on the .gov website but no drama I will do it later.

So I went to leave and then realised I had to open both gates to get out. I got out of the car and opened the gates and then went to get back in and the car door wouldn’t open.

Bollocks!

So the engine was running with both keys and my phone in the car ‘double bollocks’.

With this in mind and @pilninggas not at home I was left with somewhat of a dilemma.

Luckily @pilninggas must of known that this was going to happen (as he had told me the central locking was temperamental) so he kindly left me a brick.

So I have managed to do more damage to the car in less than 5 minutes of ownership than the previous owners in 18 years 🫣😂

4BB1370D-9EB3-4684-8D70-7AB3A0D75FAD.jpeg

1AB5E88E-656B-43B1-8811-3E54BD8E6B1E.jpeg

AC3A4432-B697-4A21-BF22-97DD299C7931.jpeg

4B71D892-4870-4DC0-A880-286BFD413E69.jpeg

I hope you didn't hurt my pet brick, I've had froggy-the-brick since I was a lad.

Yesterday morning my modern Mitsubishi Mirage Juro was attacked by my son's Honda NC750X.  The bike was blown away from its side stand and my car's bonnet and offside front wing cushioned its fall.  The Honda only suffered a broken front brake lever but my car has a probably unrepairably dented bonnet and lesser dents on the wing.  My son has taken my car into work today for advice and opinions from the bodyshop. Meanwhile, being a creature of habit, I did not let the missing Mitsubishi deter me from going to one of my lunchtime haunts to sit and have a packed lunch and read a few pages of Practical Classics mag while admiring the scenery.  My Tipo was therefore called into service.  Photos below. 

100_2494.JPG

100_2497.JPG

6 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Dropped the Cavalier off for its MOT, I didn't know the exhaust was that bad. Otherwise not bad at all.

Screenshot_20221006-101953_Chrome.jpg

Thankfully I don't need to mess about with the handbrake this year though.

I'll get an exhaust ordered up, hopefully it'll arrive within the retest period.

I was going to say I can tell you all the exhaust part numbers I've used to order my replacement bits...so you can avoid them. 😂

10 minutes ago, reb said:

@Tubbo ever since I was a lad I've known not to leave keys in a car with central locking, let alone known faulty central locking, without at least one window down so you can reach them. You just never know.

Yes this is true, which is why I posted it, so you can all have a laugh at my expense!

48 minutes ago, reb said:

@Tubbo ever since I was a lad I've known not to leave keys in a car with central locking, let alone known faulty central locking, without at least one window down so you can reach them. You just never know.

Ah yes, but how many cars have you had the pleasure of actually putting a window through with a brick? There is something immensely satisfying about stoving a car window in like a mentalist.

Soz to hear about the damage @Tubbo, tape a binbag over the hole for the full "I drive a Corsa and IDGAF" look?

1 hour ago, reb said:

I always do this if I'm leaving the Mondeo running when I'm down at my lockup or if loading/unloading - despite it never playing up that way. I had thought I'm a bit paranoid, but maybe there's logic!

3 hours ago, captain_70s said:

Moving house. Not even once*....

*(This is my 11th house move)

Will try to get back to you tonight!

No worries. As you can imagine, for both neighbourly and wifey relations, I can't have a slowly disintegrating heap on the drive for too long 😆

I plan to start tearing into it the weekend after this coming weekend. Just an idea of what bits you might be interested in, so I can remove them more carefully. 👍

15 hours ago, reb said:

I've done this with any of our various Land/Range Rovers over the years.

Always crack a window open as soon as I start it up.

15 hours ago, N19 said:

I always do this if I'm leaving the Mondeo running when I'm down at my lockup or if loading/unloading - despite it never playing up that way. I had thought I'm a bit paranoid, but maybe there's logic!

@Cluffy has a story about keys locked in car ... 

13 minutes ago, trigger said:

Cunts 🤬

Screenshot_20221007_081014_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.363ee6d29d39ea4657480a9e3d4eddc8.jpg

Screenshot_20221007_081022_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.49bf422e75d40674b684b126291801b6.jpg

Unbelievable, I sold this a couple of days ago for £3300 and its already up on Facebook for £5500! He hasn't even bothered to take new photos! Mega annoying

Whilst I agree it's annoying I'd try to look at it as he's £3300 (+ transport costs) out of pocket, money he possibly had to borrow, and will be for some time!  I can't see many people reading that ad and thinking that spending over £5k on a 240 is a good idea.