The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Wow, that's a late one!

It is. Especially when production stopped in 1980. 

It seems sad to scrap it considering it has such few owners, local car and late reg. However when it has fist sized rust holes all over it, it really will never go back on the road. 

This is how bad the roof is alone and a good indication of the rest of it. 

Runs and drives though. MOT and tax exempt motoring innit.

PXL_20221005_140030982.jpg

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

One other slight problem. It took six hours (including breaks) to get home and it rained the whole way and times was torrential. But when I selected second speed wipers it set the washers off at the same time. It never used to do that but I haven't used fast speed for a while. It must be something simple, probably in the switch. 

I don't know if it helps, but I had an issue on my Favorit where the washer pump was permanently on when you clicked the stalk up to the first speed. Intermittent was fine, and full speed was fine, so I put up with it for a year or so and just used the timer function if I wanted the first constant speed. I finally pulled my finger out earlier this year and ordered a new stalk, and that's completely cured the problem. Wish I'd spent the £20 odd ages ago now!

15 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I don't know if it helps, but I had an issue on my Favorit where the washer pump was permanently on when you clicked the stalk up to the first speed. Intermittent was fine, and full speed was fine, so I put up with it for a year or so and just used the timer function if I wanted the first constant speed. I finally pulled my finger out earlier this year and ordered a new stalk, and that's completely cured the problem. Wish I'd spent the £20 odd ages ago now!

I wish I'd thought of that earlier! I wonder how quick you can make the intermittent go. As quickly as you can switch it off and on again I suppose. Although on second thoughts the sweep will still be the same speed so it might not make any difference. 

I have a spare stalk in the garage but it's a brown one from a mk1. I might chuck it on and if it does the trick invest in a black one. 

4 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I wish I'd thought of that earlier! I wonder how quick you can make the intermittent go. As quickly as you can switch it off and on again I suppose. Although on second thoughts the sweep will still be the same speed so it might not make any difference. 

I have a spare stalk in the garage but it's a brown one from a mk1. I might chuck it on and if it does the trick invest in a black one. 

I think the terminals are different on the mk1 stalks from memory.

The fastest the intermittent can run is equivalent to the first continuous speed, so if it’s your high speed that’s not working then my method probably isn’t helpful. But for reference, click the stalk down once to start the sweep, and before it finishes click the stalk down a second time and leave it there and it’ll run at the first speed continuously.

24 minutes ago, MikeR said:

just helped save a old Polo from a nasty death , seems my diagnosis of "the water pump is fucked" was spot on ....

new water pump and cambelt fitted pronto and all nice and quet now !!

expecting lots of beer for keeping costs down to just a cambelt kit as opposed to scrap car ..

Bet the pulley was dangling off?! Really common for that to happen, luckily they can be like that but often doesn't nuke the engine

3 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Bet the pulley was dangling off?! Really common for that to happen, luckily they can be like that but often doesn't nuke the engine

guy said the bearings were well gone , allowing it to leak !

How is it Wednesday already?!

Weekend adventure was a 2CV run I was leading. But life kept getting in the way of my reccy run. So Saturday night I headed out. Weather was good, MG was selected and the roof was down! Love topless night drives!

Castle achieved… 

37413793-EBA4-4C26-A0FB-2B20AA386C3F.jpeg

Went to Rhyl on my way back… 
DD6990F5-4381-4C20-B07A-9A8AA99E8E42.jpeg
EAD8ABC3-12C0-4646-9E34-32F41B07E96B.jpeg

Then the Sunday was the actual run. Reality TV fans may recognise the location as Gwyrch Castle. Which is a fascinating place in its own right before Ant and Dec got their hands on it. 
AB333CD5-E848-404B-80C4-CBBCF8BC0D9C.jpeg8BF3E631-9379-4971-8C16-6B7924C26AA4.jpeg9DBD9BCD-2633-4208-87C6-8EA943E4A5DD.jpeg6EBAB7AA-DF6D-4C1F-99EF-F228E52400D5.jpeg

Lovely run, all 2CVs ran faultlessly throughout! 

30 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I think the terminals are different on the mk1 stalks from memory.

The fastest the intermittent can run is equivalent to the first continuous speed, so if it’s your high speed that’s not working then my method probably isn’t helpful. But for reference, click the stalk down once to start the sweep, and before it finishes click the stalk down a second time and leave it there and it’ll run at the first speed continuously.

Ah, I'll check the HBOL later, that has wiring diagrams for both mk1 and 2.

I find the infinitely adjustable intermittent too clever for its own good. If you have them on first speed and the rain dies off a bit you go straight from their to intermittent they just carry on at the same speed, then you have to reset it by switching them off, counting to four (or whatever gap you want) then switching them on again. The mk1 has only one intermittent speed, about 4 seconds, and I find that's perfect

After two and a half hours, and only managing to fit two tyres on the passenger side of the Type R, the Kwik Fit man claims that two of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that I ordered wouldn't fit on the third rim, but there was nothing wrong with the rim. He's fitted two to one side and requested the office call me tomorrow to rebook and send two more tyres for the other side. 

I've been left with different size tyres on the back (225/35 vs 235/35, budget vs Michelin), and a brand new Michelin on one side of the front and a bald Potenza on the other. Car's not usable IMO (traction control would go mad), lucky I have the MX5 to get to work. 

Kwik Fit will be compensating me for this. 

7 hours ago, SiC said:

Another Ceri delivery! This one actually got the neighbours out for a look.

But TL;DR it's a one owner local Bristol car that was his company car. Creme Cake (iirc) was in use until 2004 when it failed it's MOT and parked up for restoration. Left outside since then, it sadly slowly deteriorated.
They had a number of lovely pre-war Austins in the garage which presumably was always the main interest and this just never got done.
The chap passed away and the family decided that this had to be sold. When the cat came out from underneath and more rust fell out, they knew it was never going back on the road.

I paid basically scrap price for it. I hate the idea of ever scrapping a car but this is by far past it. I'll primarily be using it for body cuts and the like. Maybe selling the odd part cheap if anyone is after anything. My purchase money went to a Parkinson charity, so will only be right if I donate a proportion of anything I sell there too.

I'll do a video later of it after work. Apparently the engine runs really sweet. Ceri mentioned it even drove onto the trailer under its own power!
0e57c067c827a74f0e5549421675ab18.jpg
46c9eb54424527bd2dabe8aaa97b9b32.jpg
3f77ef25f022bdfd2624b55bedbd18ba.jpg
7a9a5f3e11d63386504f01b09d5c2a00.jpg

@captain_70s found your next engine!

2 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

and you posted this where? 😲

in News 24, but not much anywhere else. I've done sod all on my cars lately as they've just been working, so I've not had much to say about them. 

As I'm commuting daily I needed something a bit more sensible and modern as I didn't even own a car with ABS. 

10 hours ago, SiC said:

I did message him yesterday asking if he wanted any bits but guess he must be busy and not had a chance to respond.

I've sent him a telegram. It is the 1970s where he is, he should get it within a week or so 

9 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Dropped the Cavalier off for its MOT, I didn't know the exhaust was that bad. Otherwise not bad at all.

Screenshot_20221006-101953_Chrome.jpg

Thankfully I don't need to mess about with the handbrake this year though.

I'll get an exhaust ordered up, hopefully it'll arrive within the retest period.

Like for getting the parts ordered, not for the fail!

I have spoken to the garage and the manifold is cracked, which is obviously drawing in air and impacting the Lambda reading. They are going to try and seal it up to get it through the emissions. Either way I might be as well to just find a manifold as they'll be cheap 2nd hand and less hassle than me trying to weld it (and making a mess no doubt)

So, after putting a call out on here for someone to look at a car for me @pilninggas offered to help. 
He not only went to look at the car, he negotiated a deal and bought it for me and then got it back to his house.

I went to collect it today, and as the train service was to pot the train that was running when I left home was no longer running when I got to Bristol. So after a £60 taxi ride I finally got to his house.

He had told me he was going to be at work so left the key in a safe place for me.

After finding the key and starting the car I tried taxing it but the server was down on the .gov website but no drama I will do it later.

So I went to leave and then realised I had to open both gates to get out. I got out of the car and opened the gates and then went to get back in and the car door wouldn’t open.

Bollocks!

So the engine was running with both keys and my phone in the car ‘double bollocks’.

With this in mind and @pilninggas not at home I was left with somewhat of a dilemma.

Luckily @pilninggas must of known that this was going to happen (as he had told me the central locking was temperamental) so he kindly left me a brick.

So I have managed to do more damage to the car in less than 5 minutes of ownership than the previous owners in 18 years 🫣😂

4BB1370D-9EB3-4684-8D70-7AB3A0D75FAD.jpeg

1AB5E88E-656B-43B1-8811-3E54BD8E6B1E.jpeg

AC3A4432-B697-4A21-BF22-97DD299C7931.jpeg

4B71D892-4870-4DC0-A880-286BFD413E69.jpeg

Also as I was unable to tax the car after leaving @pilninggas place after about 400 yards I passed a vehicle tax check van parked in a lay-by 😳

I taxed it when I got to a service station about an hour later so I don’t know if this will be picked up?

Anyway a big thank you 🙏 once again to @pilninggas for helping me get the car!