The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Minor tinkering day yesterday.

One dead glowplug on the Merc, which means removing the inlet manifold to get to the plugs.  This would normally be a ballache, as there is a "bastard bolt" that can only be accessed from below, so to get the manifold off usually means having to jack up/use drive-on's for the front of the car, undertray removal etc and reach up with a hex-drive to remove the bolt in quesiton.  As luck* would have it, the manifold has been off many times in the past, meaning the casting is broken and the bolt missing, so you can do everything from above.  Cheeky bonus.
The dead one was the second one I checked and the glowplugs were being compliant and came out without fuss, which for an OM606 is a bit of a miracle.  Back to starting smoothly on six rather than knocking like a bastard on five-and-a-bit cylinders for the first 30 seconds.

Also serviced my housemate's 2018 Fiat 500.  Thankfully it's one of the 1.2 models, not a twin-arse model, so it was pretty straightforward.  The oil it takes looks like water, and it feels very strange puting only 2.75 litres of oil in a sump (especially when the merc takes 9!).   irritatingly had to make a sump key.  I've got a 12mm hex-drive somewhere, but could I find it?  Of course not.  So an M16 bolt had a 12mm hex duley ground into the end of it, and the sump plug came out nice and easily.  Changed the plugs too, and it fired straight up, which is always re-assuring.  The old oil from her car is now in the fuel tank of mine, to be burned off as part of the 75 litres of fuel it currently has in it.  Best place to dispose of it.

Still haven't replaced the dead number-plate lamp in the Merc, so it beeps at me every time you turn the lights on.  ~3 years and counting on that...

Major disappointment when I picked up the hire car for our long weekend in the remote West of Ireland.  Its like being back in the early 2000s inside.    

20221003_101352.thumb.jpg.d334fb5d7b0a8a13bd1e24b35d0e51fb.jpg

Having said that its quite an honest little thing. Don't get me wrong its a terrible car and the ride on these roads is baaaad,  but it doesn't feel bloated and has pretty decent steering. Wouldn't have one in a million years but a definite reminder that small cars really shouldn't be fat and bloated

need to resist looking at prices of Panda 100HPs.......

1 hour ago, wesacosa said:

Major disappointment when I picked up the hire car for our long weekend in the remote West of Ireland.  Its like being back in the early 2000s inside.    

Still more modern than the surroundings though! I love the back-in-time feeling of things over there.

2 hours ago, wesacosa said:

20221003_101352.thumb.jpg.d334fb5d7b0a8a13bd1e24b35d0e51fb.jpg

Having said that its quite an honest little thing. Don't get me wrong its a terrible car and the ride on these roads is baaaad,  but it doesn't feel bloated and has pretty decent steering. Wouldn't have one in a million years but a definite reminder that small cars really shouldn't be fat and bloated

need to resist looking at prices of Panda 100HPs.......

I quite like the early 2000s feel of the interior. But you're right, the ride isn't great over poor roads, the Stepway we have is rather crashy over bumps.

9 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I quite like the early 2000s feel of the interior. But you're right, the ride isn't great over poor roads, the Stepway we have is rather crashy over bumps.

me too. I not a huge fan of the modern stuff myself and don't bother with any gadgets in a car aside from Bluetooth music connectivity 

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

D6038139-5EA4-401D-9137-0FEEF1E3F7D1.png

That’ll do very nicely. Flexi had such an insignificant blow he said it’ll last a few months before it needs changing, so as it’s in the boot I’ll change at my leisure.

Sounds like a job for spring then once the salt and wet is gone! 

Pending sudden decline etc

36 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Sounds like a job for spring then once the salt and wet is gone! 

Pending sudden decline etc

That and hopefully I can clear some of the shit in the garage which the wife put in there (because storage 🤔) so I can work on my cars when it is rainy. Or snowy. Or salty etc.

Mini is now booked in for 3 weeks’ time.

The new retro Berlingo Fourgonnette.  available as panel van and passenger van.

As pastiches go I quite like it. the press release blurb i've been sent says the e-berlingo shine base  will seat 5 with 50kw battery and 136hp and 280km range.

en.typeh.eu

nov photo 5.jpeg

nov photo 7.jpeg

the whole press corporate design bollocks.

CITROËN PRESS OFFICE
2-10 BOULEVARD DE L’EUROPE 78300 POISSY
service_presse@citroen.com – http://fr-media.citroen.com – www.citroen.com
PRESS RELEASE
Poissy, 23 September 2022
INSPIRED BY THE 2CV FOURGONNETTE, CITROËN
BERLINGO GOES BACK IN TIME WITH CASELANI
 Italian coachbuilder Caselani joined forces with Citroën’s design team to metamorphose the Citroën Berlingo
into a 2CV van.
 Revisiting the style of the 2CV type AU, this conversion is a nod to one of the Brand’s iconic models – one
that left its mark on generations.
 On a vintage-style body kit mounted on the model’s exterior, the conversion features generous rounded
front-end panel, imposing flared M-shaped grille proudly sporting Citroën's chevrons, large round
headlights, corrugated sheeting on the sides, rear and roof sections.
 The Berlingo 2CV Fourgonnette is being marketed by Caselani, officially licensed by Citroën. An “M” sized
(4.40 m) commercial vehicle will be available for professionals, and then a leisure version will also be
produced for carrying people. All engine types will be proposed, including electric.
 Order will start on 1 October, with production slated to begin in January 2023.
 Berlingo rounds of a complete range which includes the Type HG van on Citroën’s Jumpy base, and the Type
H on its Jumper base.
Citroën Berlingo features a number of exterior style components that pay homage to the legendary 2CV Fourgonnette
AU (U for “Utility”) launched in 1951 which enjoyed a loyal following with its many spin-offs until 1987. The 2CV
Berlingo Fourgonnette is a modern reinterpretation of it – one which has all the assets associated with the current Berlingo
as far as architecture, loading capacities, modularity, on-board technologies and road performance are concerned.
“We are extremely proud that our best-selling Berlingo has been revisited by Caselani, drawing inspiration from the iconic 2 C V
Fourgonnette, which left its mark on both Citroën’s history and that of the automotive sector more widely. Work on designing it
got underway in the coachbuilder's studios. We then worked together, hand-in-hand. Our own designers kept a close eye on work
to ensure that the original 2CV Fourgonnette was not too literally interpreted, but that the result truly had Citroën’s DNA in it.
Digital tools with which we are accustomed to working were used to treat the surfaces and scale the volumes, giving the vehicle a
modern flavour”, said Pierre Leclercq, Head of Citroën Style.
2/5
1. A JOURNEY THROUGH TIME FOR CITROËN BERLINGO
Caselani has harnessed the wave of the vintage trend, which is well-established in the Italian car culture. This trend is
apparent in both vehicles for individuals and professionals – it involves giving a new lease of life to a legendary model from
the past, while incorporating all the modern equipment and high performance that you find on a current vehicle.
Concerning the specific case of the conversion performed on Berlingo, it is a reinterpretation that draws on the success of
a pioneering van and the success of Berlingo Van itself, a major player on its segment in Europe since its launch in 1996,
all three generations of which have sold more than 1 891 196 units. As of the end of August 2022, it was the second
most successful vehicle in its segment in Europe, with a 17% market share. A highly versatile vehicle that has succeeded
in reinventing itself over the years and a trailblazer in the leisure vehicle segment, it has introduced numerous innovations,
including the integrated cabin, the three-front-seats configuration, the electric parking brake and more recently on the
third generation, the overload indicator. It was also one of the first electric vans when it was launched in 2013.
Caselani entrusted this restyling exercise for Berlingo to David Obendorfer, renowned for having previously styled the
Type H based on Citroën Jumper in 2017 and the new Type HG for Jumpy/SpaceTourer in 2020. This completes
Citroën's range of Caselani-designed vans.
“The design specifications did not involve simply copying the forms of the old van in the strictest sense. Instead, they involved
going back in time and bringing its unique charm to 21st-century vehicle. As a distant descendant, Berlingo was completely
designed as a tribute to the Citroën 2CV of the 1950s. It was an exciting challenge because the original van had completely
different proportions. It had very short front overhang, nice long bonnet and visually stand-alone load compartment, very
different features from those of Berlingo. So I focused more on an overall evocative aspect of the original vehicle rather than
straining the individual design elements to make them look like the 2CV Fourgonnette.”, explains Caselani designer David
Obendorfer.
CHARACTERISTIC STYLE ELEMENTS FOR A NEO-RETRO PERSONALITY
The Berlingo 2CV Fourgonnette is a modern "lifestyle" representation, drawing inspiration from the legendary 2CV AU
(“U” for “utility”) launched in 1951 – which proved hugely successful in its time with nearly 1,247,000 units sold – and
its descendant, the 2CV AZU launched in 1954. The timeless codes of the original van have not been forgotten:
 Berlingo's front end panel has been completely overhauled, revealing the features that were so characteristic of the
old 2CV from days gone by. The grille, bumper and wheel arches have been replaced by new fibreglass
components adapted to the frame, which integrates clips and bolts for attaching them. All of these components are
assembled at Caselani's workshops in Lombardy, Northern Italy.
 The V-shaped domed bonnet narrows towards the lower section – it “pinches”, to use the designer's own jargon –
just like before. The famous embossed striated coat sit in the centre of the front-end panel, extending over almost
the whole of it.
3/5
 The round headlights are partly detached from the bonnet, fitting into it as they extend back – unlike the original
ones which were completely offset. A more modern interpretation with components which fit in with the rest of the
vehicle.
 The low-relief grooves at the top of the wheel arches featured on the old 2CV and were used to ventilate the engine.
 With its concave-cut upper section (or M-shaped, flared towards the top), the grille is attractive and distinctly
Citroën, emblematic of the 2CV AU. The large chrome-plated chevrons – the brand's signature – are highlighted,
positioned right in the centre of the grille and overlaid on it, further emphasising them. All of these components are
what has shaped the van’s identity, connecting it to Citroën's history and reputation. The imposing grille is highly
arched, integrated into the front end, and forming one with the bonnet as at the time. It extends downwards from
the bonnet, giving one the impression that the wheel arches are floating – fitting into this key component. The line
above the fog lamps, which stretches over the vehicle's full width, further amplifies this effect. It gives stability to the
front face and widens it, reinforcing its robust character.
 Visually, the front bumper is lower than on Berlingo. While the 2CV’s bumper was chrome-plated, this one is
painted white, contrasting with the body. This emphasises the protective nature of the component, while at the
same time investing it with a certain modernity.
 The sides, rear doors and roof have all been given a second skin, topping off Berlingo’s bodywork. These fibreglass
components all pay homage to the 2CV’s highly distinctive corrugated sheeting. But on this vehicle, they are purely
decorative. Originally, they had an actual purpose – they were what gave the whole structure its rigidity. These
striated components and the reworked – raised – roof – are a deliberate attempt to create a style whereby the
vehicle's passenger compartment section is separated from its cargo section. This was already a feature of the old
van.
 At the rear of the vehicle, a small vertical window that is rounded at the top and bottom features on each of
Berlingo's rear doors – a further tribute to the 2CV. For a more modern feel, the very thick black seal around the
windows has been removed. As for the vehicle's stop and reversing lights, their perfectly round shape is brought to
the attention by their sheer size. They are surrounded by red trim, making them even more visible and giving them
a more contemporary feel.
 Various key locations on the vehicle are chrome-plated – another nod to the details that the 2CV sported. This
applies to the headlights, the bonnet's central ridge, the grille with its chevrons and contour trim, the original
hubcaps (which are still manufactured to date) and the chrome-plated handles on the headlights which were used to
open them (for replacing the bulbs). Only the handle for opening the bonnet has not been included in this new
version.
4/5
2. ALL THE ADVANTAGES OF A MODERN VEHICLE
At the time, the 2CV Fourgonnette caused upheaval on its segment because of what it looked like and how it performed.
The commercial van could reach average speeds of between 40 and 50 km/h and carry up to 250 kg of goods (as well as
the driver) in an effective volume of 1.88 m³.
The new version has done away with all the noise of the two-cylinder engine and the hole in the grille for the crank.
Needless to say, the Berlingo 2CV Fourgonnette brings with it the best of its era in terms of comfort, space, modularity
and safety.
Berlingo Van can carry 3 people (5 in the private passenger version) and it can go significantly faster. It is also bigger – its
loading capacity has quadrupled: (it can now carry up to a tonne) and its effective volume has practically tripled (it’s now
4.4 m³).
Despite being compact – which makes it agile and easy to handle – it still boasts plenty space aboard, making this utility
vehicle the ideal tool for traders and craftsmen. Thanks to its Extenso® cabin, the vehicle's effective length can be extended
to up to 3.09 m (size M) by retracting the passenger seat.
To make driving, loading and performing manoeuvres easier, Berlingo Van features up to 18 driver assistance
technologies and 4 connectivity technologies. These include the colour head-up display, hands-free access and start, the
overload indicator and surround rear vision, as well as the Active Safety Brake, towing stability control, Grip Control with
Hill Assist Descent and the blind angle monitoring system.
The commercial vehicle is available as a diesel-powered 1.5 BlueHDi, a petrol-powered 1.2 PureTech and an EAT8
automatic gearbox. The electric version has a range of up to 275 km per day, delivering a noise-free and vibration-free
ride. It has the same effective volume and its battery can be charged to 80% in 30 minutes at a public charging station. ë-
Berlingo Van has a deferred charging function and the temperature of the passenger compartment can be preset.
3. A CITROËN BERLINGO 2CV FOURGONNETTE WHICH ROUNDS OFF THE TYPE H RANGE
In 2017, to celebrate the 70th birthday of the Type H (500,000 of which were sold between 1948 and 1981), the
coachbuilder developed a bodywork kit based on the Citroën Jumper. Then in 2020, he turned his attention to the
Jumpy/SpaceTourer.
As far as the aesthetic transformation is concerned, the technique is same for all three Citroën vans. At the front,
bodywork components (bonnet, bumper and wheel arches) are replaced by fibreglass. The side, rear and roof sections are
covered with panels bonded directly to the bodywork. Round headlights are used instead of the ones which feature on
current utility vehicles to perfect the vintage look and imbue them with all the powerful personality of the Type H or the
2CV Fourgonnette.
The Type H kit is compatible with all Jumper body types (L1 4.96 / L2 4.95 / L3 5.99 / L4 6.30) and the HG kit is
available for all Jumpy /SpaceTourer sizes (XS 4.60 m / M 4.95 / XL 5.30). Versions are also available for the bases of
5/5
converted vans in the Citroën catalogue, such as panelled vans, vans with windows, chassis-cabs, platform cabs, adapted
vans, campervans, minibuses, food trucks, etc.
Transforming Jumper into a Type H proved a real challenge. Citroën's largest van is not actually rectangular in shape, and
it has its own specific design with numerous lines, some of which are overlaid over the panels. The kit has been developed
to be perfectly fitted on the body of Jumper creating a robust union between the metal structure of the base vehicle and
the fibreglass panels. A monoblock design component was created and integrated for the front of the vehicle. The front
and bonnet are modelled together to make it easier to assemble and solidify the surface. Considerable technical prowess,
which gives the Berlingo 2CV Fourgonnette a determined and robust air.
“As a diehard fan of the 2CV and the HY van, I have a whole collection of old Citroën models. My wife is as much of an enthusiast
as I am – she travelled through Europe in the 2000s in a Type H converted into a campervan. When my family started getting
bigger, the idea to create a more spacious and comfortable HY came to us: why not take the Jumper's current architecture and
attach fibreglass panels to its bodywork? Then everything fell into place… A prototype was presented to Citroën's Design teams
who were won over by the idea. Production got underway in 2017 and was then expanded to include its little brother in 2020.
The only thing missing to complete our range of Citroën commercial vehicles was Berlingo. Today, the van presents its 2CV
Fourgonnette kit, the design of which is the result of the joint efforts of both Caselani’s teams and those of Citroën. We are
delighted to see the friendly face of this legendary van again which made its mark on the 1950s”, says Fabrizio Caselani,
Director of Carrosserie Caselani.
INFOGRAPHIC AVAILABLE AT:
http://www.citroencommunication-echange.com
Username (CAPS): BERLINGO2CVFOURGONNETTE
Password: CASELANICONVERSION0922
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rnzSzEOR-M
PRESS CONTACTS
PRESS CONTACTS
Sylvie KRYGIER + 33 (0) 6 09 13 33 13 – sylvie.krygier@citroen.com
Citroën
Since 1919, Citroën has been creating automobiles, technologies and mobility solutions to respond to changes in society. A brand of boldness and
innovation, Citroën places peace of mind and well-being at the heart of its customer experience and offers a wide range of models, from the distinctive
Ami, an electric mobility object designed for the city, to saloons, SUVs and commercial vehicles, most of which are available in electric or rechargeable
hybrid versions. A pioneer brand in the services and attention paid to its private and professional customers, Citroën is present in 101 countries and
has a network of 6,200 points of sale and service throughout the world.
For more information about Citroën, visit the media site at https://fr-media.citroen.com

Civic left on the back of a car transporter today.... Holy sh*t did it throw a tantrum to let everyone know it was really dead and ready to meet the scrap man.

It seemingly managed to blow a turbo seal AND blow a clutch line on the way onto the transporter so it's went away billowing blue smoke and pissing fluids behind it 😂

My fiancé’s Clio was due an MOT so I took it in today.

F79D63F0-863C-404B-82C2-E7599463FBF2.thumb.png.e0dbcbbf74245852518cd3ebc7b5ee35.png

Boo!

D1A18279-8BE4-4EEF-9BC8-6AFDABBE3074.thumb.png.1ab6df61df8d56840372786c36e61502.png

Yay!

Surprised about the tyre as they looked alright when they went back on this Summer. It will be going onto winters soon so not really an issue, plus I’ve got 4 spare Summer tyres for it in the garage as I’m a hoarder well prepared. Either way, she’s happy to get another year’s motoring for £35.

My Insight goes in for a ticket tomorrow (what fucking idiot managed to time it that both daily drivers have their MOT at the same time?! Oh…) and if it fails then I’m definitely justified in buying another BX that actually works plus a Trabant that doesn’t because reasons.

Yesterday was not a good day.  I got up bright and early (by my standards) and went out to have a crack at doing some more jobs on the Maxus.  After spending some time trying, and once again failing, to persuade either the bottom ball joint or the track rod end to come free, I decided to go underneath and have a go at cleaning up the inner sill where it needs welding.  I then noticed a small hole in the very back of the inner sill on the edge of the wheelarch.  I poked at it and it quickly became a bigger hole.  Big enough in fact to stretch part way behind the outrigger.  So it's now going to need two bits of welding rather than just the one, and the "new" bit I've found is on a curve so it's going to be more complicated to do.

I couldn't do a lot about that so I decided to have a crack at the brake pipe.  This did not go well.  The union where the pipe goes into the flexi was rusted solid, and just rounded off when I tried to undo it.  It didn't help that access is spectacularly shit - the metal pipes go up between two crossmembers and then loop back downwards to join to the flexi, so it's impossible to get any decent sized tools in there.  Stupid bit of design.

20221002_155252.thumb.jpg.2e50f4e2ec23a6c3cd9e4a685e976f56.jpg

At one point during my efforts to get the union to undo I noticed brake fluid dripping out.  Initially I thought I'd managed to loosen the union but actually it was the brake pipe that had snapped and was pissing fluid out.  So I then had to run around like a twat undoing the brake pipe at the front of the van (which fortunately came apart relatively easily) and plugging the pipe so the master cylinder didn't empty itself of fluid.

I was getting extremely pissed off with the van by then, so I brought the newly acquired C5 round to the house and gave it a good hoover out and wipe down.  I then drove it to Norwich, and on the way back I got a phone call from my mate who I'd swapped the Dodge Caliber with for the Citroën, telling me that the Dodge was fucked.  So I went round there, we swapped back and I headed for home in the Caliber.  He wasn't wrong.  There was no boost whatsoever, the turbo was making a strange rattling noise, and after about a mile it was chucking out so much white smoke that I couldn't see the road behind me.  Fortunately the roads were fairly quiet being Sunday night, but the few cars I did encounter coming the other way all had to brake as they got past me because they couldn't see where they were going.  The car would just about manage 50 on the flat, eventually. 

My mate had added some oil as it was below the minimum on the dipstick, and I chucked another half a litre or so in to bring it up to where it should be - in the 12-mile journey home, it had used all that and most of the rest of what was in the sump, and the oil pressure light started coming on a couple of miles from home.  It got me back, by some miracle, but the back of the car is now covered in oil droplets and there's a puddle of oil under the exhaust where it's dripped out.

29drw8mn5sq21.jpg
Removemycar are going to give me £385 for it as scrap, which is quite a lot less than it owes me but there you go.  I'm officially done with modern* diesels.

Today went slightly better - I managed to persuade the brake pipe union on the van to come apart, and I also found another union which I hadn't spotted before halfway down a crossmember, which means I only have to replace 4' of pipe rather than the full 16' I'd initially thought.  In fact as luck would have it I had an offcut of copper brake pipe exactly the right length, so I'm going to make it up and fit it tomorrow and the van should at least then be mobile again...

11 minutes ago, bigfella2 said:

Wuvvum I would deffo Invest in a half decent proper brake spanner for this kind of work, using a regular spanner as you've seen just rounds stuff off most of the time.

But as you've found if the pipe and the union are seized you just can't win. No posh spanner will fix that.

I have a brake pipe spanner.  It wouldn't go over the nut  - there was so much rust on it that what should have been a 10mm hex was more like 10.5mm.  I'd hammered the 10mm open spanner onto it to try and knock the rust off so I could fit the brake pipe spanner on.  (It didn't work.)

On 10/2/2022 at 9:43 PM, HillmanImp said:

At Angmering today apparently. 

No idea how accurate this is. 

Screenshot_20221002_214046.thumb.jpg.fe2956cc7f1194e4648b4f0d16c62b64.jpg

Nothing surprises me about that place any more.. they must be closing down permanently soon, at least I thought they were supposed to be

My daily rattler (2005 330i touring) went for test this morning. Fortunately…

FD25B8B7-0314-4E93-A57F-EBF549604520.thumb.jpeg.4b247106d9b245b1a4e8d86bebef7de7.jpeg

Winter tyres are going on in a few weeks, so these ones will go come spring time. Looks like I need to get the wire wheel and Vactan out, though. 13,000 miles this year is okay considering I’ve not been commuting this year either. Hopefully 200,000 next year.

The Insight has been dropped at the MOT station. Results should be in around lunchtime. When collecting the Clio yesterday I discovered that the workshop manager worked at the same garage as me and left just before I joined, but as a result we have some mates in common - small world.

If the Insight fails on anything finicky then I will hit the nuclear purchase button on something as we will be at non-functional car numbers that have not been seen since the last time the fleet got up to about 18 cars of varying treachery.