The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Did the passenger rear wheelbearing in the Volvo today.

An  it was a fun one. 3 of the 4 bearing carrier bolts came out but one just wouldn't  yield. Not because it was particularly stuck, merely shit access  without taking the entire hub assembly off. I tried swearing then crying and then drilling  -the wheell bolt holes lined up so I could drill it from the threaded end  and after a while and many drill bits  it popped out.  Naturally  the bearing took a good hour of swearing and cursing before hammering freed it.

The result... silence thank fuck, mind the bearing was totally indexed . A double bonus was I had to take the handbrake mechanism off, to get the bearing out (or acces to welly onit with the hammer)  and it seems it had had new pads but the mechanism hadn't een connected to the cable itself  so the handbrake works fully now instead of so-so before.

20221001_201703.jpg

get a hesitation when rolling low speed with v6, changed plugs, coil pack,  checked for air leaks, fuel leaks and nothing.

any one experience simile with v6 duratecs?

tommorow im swapping the pipercross filter with a standard paper filter.

5 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

Found this in my late uncle's garage when I was cleaning it out.

20221001_160846.thumb.jpg.cb81b1b52d73d008f95ff5b422e9a8aa.jpg

Don't know if they still exist, I know he had a Corsa at some point in the 90s.

Interesting, the cap looks a more recent design, like the Nikwax bottles but the font and design look older, 70's?

Had a singularly unproductive day today.  Spent a good couple of hours on the Maxus and got absolutely nowhere.  I still can't get the track rod end undone, despite soaking it in Plus Gas all week.  I tried heating it but that didn't help - not sure if my little propane blowtorch was getting the metal hot enough, everything is quite chunky being a van.  The wishbone ball joint showed no interest in coming undone either - I was hammering away at the ball joint splitter but couldn't budge it. 

Part of the problem is that the ball joint has so much play in it that when I try to get brutal with it it just moves around and the splitter won't stay in place.  I've squirted some Plus Gas round where the taper goes into the wishbone, but I have no idea if any of it will penetrate or if it'll do any good if it does.  I could really do without having to pay a garage to do it though.

I was determined to do something useful given that it was such a nice day, so I changed the plugs on the Innocenti (it seems to be running smoother now but that could just be a placebo effect...) and I got the 107 up on the ramps, gave the underside a rinse off with the 12v jet wash and slapped some Hydrate 80 on the rusty bits.  I might spray some underseal under there as well, help improve its chances of surviving the winter.

I was pleased to find that despite the fairly torrential rain we've had this week, the Innocenti has stayed bone dry inside.  That's good as it means that hopefully I can park it up over the winter without having to put a cover over it - I'm not sure covers do a great deal of good to the bodywork.  The Volvo has got a bit damp in the passenger footwell, which isn't unexpected; the Renault 6 had a bit of dampness on the floor but no standing water like it's had in the past, which is good.

I did do a buy today.

20221001_221713.thumb.jpg.f95db2c98e8bd7856e28e7f7a260d098.jpg

I say a buy, it was mostly a swap for the Dodge, although I did have to stick a bit of money on top.  It's quite a posh one - Exclusive spec - although it's a 2.0 HDI with an auto 'box so it's not a rocket ship.  It does have a lot of gizmos though, including voice recognition (the first time I've had a car thus equipped) and front foglights which come on when you turn the steering, plus the usual heated electric leather seats, sat nav, auto lights and wipers etc.  First impressions are quite good - I think it'll make an excellent long distance cruiser.  It does have an annoying rattle from the nearside front over bumps though which I'm going to need to investigate.

11 hours ago, stuboy said:

get a hesitation when rolling low speed with v6, changed plugs, coil pack,  checked for air leaks, fuel leaks and nothing.

any one experience simile with v6 duratecs?

tommorow im swapping the pipercross filter with a standard paper filter.

Do these still use the IRMC that was on the 2.5? V6 Cougars had the same symptoms ans it was nearly always the IRMC sticking

1 hour ago, Sunny Jim said:

Been a bus wanker today. Dropped the BX with @mat_the_cat and got the bus home. I know the road well and love driving it but it requires too much concentration to be able to admire the view so it was good to sit back and appreciate it.IMG_20221002_132628.thumb.jpg.51ecc86e45330d19de3299e9403dc5e8.jpg

I think i have been on his forum too long, i thought you meant you borrowed the bus from @mat_the_catand drove it home.

We're on holiday with green Favorit and Chieveley the dog. 

IMG_20221002_154943.thumb.jpg.282b3d2532714aba5e61b8ebd75f97ee.jpg

IMG_20221002_154914.thumb.jpg.7d38a65fe2051886b1cb591fa8418ba6.jpg

This is Caerfai Bay just south of St Davids and almost as far west as you can get in south Wales. About 220 miles from Southampton. I did let Chieveley out after this photo but it's very difficult to get him to stand still when he goes somewhere new. 

The Vivaro wouldn't start in August after sitting since June and I have since left it sitting but was planning to have it transported to the garage for troubleshooting this week. So today I found out that I should charge the battery and checked the voltage as well and before charging it was under 12v and after charging for a few hours and while the charger was charging the battery it was at 14v so decided to test if it would start now and it did instantly. This is strange as the starter has cranked the engine without a problem in the past but it has not started. So do I just possibly have a bad battery? I don't know but took it for a drive and it still runs an drives perfect after all these months.

20221002_162351.thumb.jpg.387ed585141ed5c48737d04ef7cd3460.jpg

The only problem is that the stereo won't work now and I need code to make it work which I don't have. I am going to change this, but I would like to have the CD that is inside it back, is there anything I can do? or do I just have to go medieval on it with an ax or something to get the cd back?

20221002_153046.thumb.jpg.2e535f8340411a062122c733d5ff0646.jpg

45 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

The Vivaro wouldn't start in August after sitting since June and I have since left it sitting but was planning to have it transported to the garage for troubleshooting this week. So today I found out that I should charge the battery and checked the voltage as well and before charging it was under 12v and after charging for a few hours and while the charger was charging the battery it was at 14v so decided to test if it would start now and it did instantly. This is strange as the starter has cranked the engine without a problem in the past but it has not started. So do I just possibly have a bad battery? I don't know but took it for a drive and it still runs an drives perfect after all these months.

20221002_162351.thumb.jpg.387ed585141ed5c48737d04ef7cd3460.jpg

The only problem is that the stereo won't work now and I need code to make it work which I don't have. I am going to change this, but I would like to have the CD that is inside it back, is there anything I can do? or do I just have to go medieval on it with an ax or something to get the cd back?

20221002_153046.thumb.jpg.2e535f8340411a062122c733d5ff0646.jpg

Stupid question but have you tried ejecting the CD in safe mode ?

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

Article on the future of classic cars and petrol in the telegraph. Doesn’t appear to be behind a paywall.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/classic/end-road-classic-cars/

They tried to get me to register to read it but they failed. https://12ft.io/proxy?ref=&q=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/classic/end-road-classic-cars/

(Though you will have to scroll down a bit)

I realised I haven't added any fleet updates for quite some time and that's because....there isn't. Thankfully other than maintenance, which I have made sure I put in the time on, they've been well behaved. 

I have been incredibly busy this year and my life is basically work and family with very little time for anything else. I have managed to get a few hours on a Sunday to get to the Retroshite meet but ultimately  I don't think people are ready for the mighty Cavalier yet.

I managed to scrape 5 minutes to replace a brake light bulb on the Cav (as well as take apart and rebuild a diecast Mercedes!)

743485068_Screenshot_20221003-065147_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.045c4cc64f21df03e20ab0f9e12339f5.jpg

I have booked its MOT for this Thursday. I don't think its too far away from a pass as its had a lot of new parts this year.  The handbrake is high but since adjustment requires getting the whole back end in the air, I opted for 'it works' and hopefully it will be sufficient.

The cost of living rises in my household are set to be absolutely out of this world, as I'm sure is the case for many. I'm putting the Cav on SORN after its MOT and I may do the same for the Saab. They'll not eat a piece in the garage/drive for the time being.  GM stuff just starts right up after lying for months in my experience.

I only lift the bonnet to pour some oil down its throat when it gets remembered. The power steering still powers so I assume it must be holding tight. 

It is the first car in a long time that has impressed me and when it dies I will be very upset if I can't get another one. This is entirely down to the folding middle front seat which is a work of genuine genius. 

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

The cost of living rises in my household are set to be absolutely out of this world, as I'm sure is the case for many. I'm putting the Cav on SORN after its MOT and I may do the same for the Saab. They'll not eat a piece in the garage/drive for the time being.  GM stuff just starts right up after lying for months in my experience.

There is a part of me considering putting the BMW on SORN once it's back from its welding, then just MOT it in Spring...

Just taken to Saab for its MoT and walked back home. Didn’t get round to changing the exhaust flexi so I left it in the boot. If that’s all it needs then the garage can swap it. Couldn’t see anything else that was an advisory or a fail underneath so it’ll be advisories onlyI I hope.

Anything else and I’ll have to see what I can do at home.