The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

This morning I have chucked a load of fuel preserver into the 944 & the T2, took both for a blast around the new inner, outer relief ring road, brought them home & declared the Porsche SORN. There's little point doing that with the camper as it's tax free. Then I booked a Sainsbury's for next week, cancelled my 3tb dropbox & submitted a gas/electric meter reading. Apparently I'm £432 in credit. £84 used, £149 paid. That's Christmas paid for then when I ask for my annual refund at the end of November!

May be an image of car and road

This has just been acquired. The wheel bearing drones more than Nigel Mansell after a disco biscuit and the (slipping) clutch is so high it'll probably have to go to rehab before being replaced.

The heater is stuck on hot (internet search says kinked pipe behind stereo) and the MOT runs out in a few weeks' time. 

MUSIC 101] WHAT DOES “TAKE IT TO THE BRIDGE” Mean? – This is Platinum  Hip-Hop

If anyone is at a loose end, with access to an Italian car,  in the morning, and is near Alton in Hampshire. I’m going along in the new car as the x1/9 is in wales.

from the FIAT Forum .com

Our last bi-monthly meet of 2022 will be held on Saturday 1st October.

As with our previous meets, it will be held at The Departure Lounge Cafe, just outside Alton in northern Hampshire.

The café is a great venue for a breakfast meet, as it has a large solid field on which the owner lets us park so as to be able to display our cars all together and out of the main public car park.

The meet starts at 10am, which is when the café opens, and is not a formal event so no booking is necessary, and entry is free, so just come along if you fancy it. Some people do arrive from 9am, which is OK, and the cafe does sometimes open earlier.

It is open to any Italian car of any age, and we have had classics and supercars through to modern Alfas and Fiats and everything in between. Attendees have come from across the southern counties and as far afield as London, Kent, and Dorset, with many clubs supporting the event.

The format is simple, we park up, chat to other owners and look at the cars on show, and have some breakfast if you want to. People usually drift away after lunch. We have had close to 200 cars at some previous events, so there is plenty to see, and always lots of Fiats.

We would love to see you all again, or meet you for the first time if you haven’t been before. Please do also spread the word to other Italian marque forums or social media that you are part of.

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

If anyone is at a loose end, with access to an Italian car,  in the morning, and is near Alton in Hampshire. I’m going along in the new car as the x1/9 is in wales.

from the FIAT Forum .com

Our last bi-monthly meet of 2022 will be held on Saturday 1st October.

As with our previous meets, it will be held at The Departure Lounge Cafe, just outside Alton in northern Hampshire.

The café is a great venue for a breakfast meet, as it has a large solid field on which the owner lets us park so as to be able to display our cars all together and out of the main public car park.

The meet starts at 10am, which is when the café opens, and is not a formal event so no booking is necessary, and entry is free, so just come along if you fancy it. Some people do arrive from 9am, which is OK, and the cafe does sometimes open earlier.

It is open to any Italian car of any age, and we have had classics and supercars through to modern Alfas and Fiats and everything in between. Attendees have come from across the southern counties and as far afield as London, Kent, and Dorset, with many clubs supporting the event.

The format is simple, we park up, chat to other owners and look at the cars on show, and have some breakfast if you want to. People usually drift away after lunch. We have had close to 200 cars at some previous events, so there is plenty to see, and always lots of Fiats.

We would love to see you all again, or meet you for the first time if you haven’t been before. Please do also spread the word to other Italian marque forums or social media that you are part of.

Sounds good, but 86 miles just a bit far for a breakfast meet. I declared SORN for the Trevi and BiTurbo today, but still have the Seicento and have been thinking about a longer trip for it.  Then there is always the Alfa 156.

3 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Sounds good, but 86 miles just a bit far for a breakfast meet. I declared SORN for the Trevi and BiTurbo today, but still have the Seicento and have been thinking about a longer trip for it.  Then there is always the Alfa 156.

I’ve been ill all week following a booster vaccination last weekend. Just feeling relatively normal again today so thought id get out tomorrow - only 25 miles for me. 

Golf failed its overdue MOT due to rear brakes.  Binding on both sides (one worse than the other, one a fail and the other an advisory) and rear pads (worn).  A couple of other minor bits (bulbs - whoops) but to be honest, I'm not bothered.  I'll get the garage to sort it, I'll give the car a service, a clean and fix a couple of bits that need fixing and we live to fight another day.  Even factoring in the £456 to get it recovered a couple of weeks ago, the £25 for the new intercooler pipe that went on easily and whatever this brake work costs I wouldn't be able to buy a car I like more and that I know the history of for less...

Did the passenger rear wheelbearing in the Volvo today.

An  it was a fun one. 3 of the 4 bearing carrier bolts came out but one just wouldn't  yield. Not because it was particularly stuck, merely shit access  without taking the entire hub assembly off. I tried swearing then crying and then drilling  -the wheell bolt holes lined up so I could drill it from the threaded end  and after a while and many drill bits  it popped out.  Naturally  the bearing took a good hour of swearing and cursing before hammering freed it.

The result... silence thank fuck, mind the bearing was totally indexed . A double bonus was I had to take the handbrake mechanism off, to get the bearing out (or acces to welly onit with the hammer)  and it seems it had had new pads but the mechanism hadn't een connected to the cable itself  so the handbrake works fully now instead of so-so before.

20221001_201703.jpg

get a hesitation when rolling low speed with v6, changed plugs, coil pack,  checked for air leaks, fuel leaks and nothing.

any one experience simile with v6 duratecs?

tommorow im swapping the pipercross filter with a standard paper filter.

5 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

Found this in my late uncle's garage when I was cleaning it out.

20221001_160846.thumb.jpg.cb81b1b52d73d008f95ff5b422e9a8aa.jpg

Don't know if they still exist, I know he had a Corsa at some point in the 90s.

Interesting, the cap looks a more recent design, like the Nikwax bottles but the font and design look older, 70's?

Had a singularly unproductive day today.  Spent a good couple of hours on the Maxus and got absolutely nowhere.  I still can't get the track rod end undone, despite soaking it in Plus Gas all week.  I tried heating it but that didn't help - not sure if my little propane blowtorch was getting the metal hot enough, everything is quite chunky being a van.  The wishbone ball joint showed no interest in coming undone either - I was hammering away at the ball joint splitter but couldn't budge it. 

Part of the problem is that the ball joint has so much play in it that when I try to get brutal with it it just moves around and the splitter won't stay in place.  I've squirted some Plus Gas round where the taper goes into the wishbone, but I have no idea if any of it will penetrate or if it'll do any good if it does.  I could really do without having to pay a garage to do it though.

I was determined to do something useful given that it was such a nice day, so I changed the plugs on the Innocenti (it seems to be running smoother now but that could just be a placebo effect...) and I got the 107 up on the ramps, gave the underside a rinse off with the 12v jet wash and slapped some Hydrate 80 on the rusty bits.  I might spray some underseal under there as well, help improve its chances of surviving the winter.

I was pleased to find that despite the fairly torrential rain we've had this week, the Innocenti has stayed bone dry inside.  That's good as it means that hopefully I can park it up over the winter without having to put a cover over it - I'm not sure covers do a great deal of good to the bodywork.  The Volvo has got a bit damp in the passenger footwell, which isn't unexpected; the Renault 6 had a bit of dampness on the floor but no standing water like it's had in the past, which is good.

I did do a buy today.

20221001_221713.thumb.jpg.f95db2c98e8bd7856e28e7f7a260d098.jpg

I say a buy, it was mostly a swap for the Dodge, although I did have to stick a bit of money on top.  It's quite a posh one - Exclusive spec - although it's a 2.0 HDI with an auto 'box so it's not a rocket ship.  It does have a lot of gizmos though, including voice recognition (the first time I've had a car thus equipped) and front foglights which come on when you turn the steering, plus the usual heated electric leather seats, sat nav, auto lights and wipers etc.  First impressions are quite good - I think it'll make an excellent long distance cruiser.  It does have an annoying rattle from the nearside front over bumps though which I'm going to need to investigate.

11 hours ago, stuboy said:

get a hesitation when rolling low speed with v6, changed plugs, coil pack,  checked for air leaks, fuel leaks and nothing.

any one experience simile with v6 duratecs?

tommorow im swapping the pipercross filter with a standard paper filter.

Do these still use the IRMC that was on the 2.5? V6 Cougars had the same symptoms ans it was nearly always the IRMC sticking

1 hour ago, Sunny Jim said:

Been a bus wanker today. Dropped the BX with @mat_the_cat and got the bus home. I know the road well and love driving it but it requires too much concentration to be able to admire the view so it was good to sit back and appreciate it.IMG_20221002_132628.thumb.jpg.51ecc86e45330d19de3299e9403dc5e8.jpg

I think i have been on his forum too long, i thought you meant you borrowed the bus from @mat_the_catand drove it home.