The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

4 hours ago, High Jetter said:

There's a charity run organized by Practical Classics today, Sheffield Park to Birling Gap - might toddle up there to (hopefully) see  the restored Rebel. Tomorrow is Tilburstow to Rochester Airport, Thursday is a Cambridgeshire circuit starting at St Ives, Friday is TBC. Deets on their FB page.

My toddling meant there was a reception party for the PC team of 1! 4 Minis arrived, I waited outside the car park to snap the others arriving. 20 mins on, the Minis prepared to leave so I wandered over to find Mr Hopkins in the lead car. Rebel has been left at the starting point as still running in & restricted to 35mph. Good to briefly meet Danny though. 

50 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

My toddling meant there was a reception party for the PC team of 1! 4 Minis arrived, I waited outside the car park to snap the others arriving. 20 mins on, the Minis prepared to leave so I wandered over to find Mr Hopkins in the lead car. Rebel has been left at the starting point as still running in & restricted to 35mph. Good to briefly meet Danny though. 

It's great. He lives 2 minutes from me, and I drive past his house on the school run each day.  So I always get a look at what will appear in the magazine in 2-3 months time!

Nice fellow.  Very left wing.  Talented too.  

Finally overcame the lazy and took the Volvo to the unit to try and sort the handbrake. The caliper bolts weren't for coming off so I had to settle for poking the adjuster through the hole in the hub. I also adjusted the lever inside the car. It seems to be fully applying on both sides now but I won't know for sure until the retest on Friday. If it fails again I'll buy a new set of shoes and fitting kit and start from scratch.

7 hours ago, yes oui si said:

New front struts

New rear beam

New bearings

New abs sensors

New track rod ends

New drop links

IMG_20220927_133711.thumb.jpg.677fc5471ae92cb514f8371475c2f700.jpg

Back needs to come down a bit more. Another 50mm should do it. 

Welding booked in for next month. 

bloody hell - i thought this was going to be a stop gap motor ? sounds like your going all in :) 

7 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Let's try again.  Anyone in Daventry here?!  Loserone was going to check out a car for me because I thought it was in Rugby.  It isn't.  Neither is he!  

Just really hoping for someone to clamber under a car and tell me there are no holes.  I'm not after an AA 59 point inspection.

Here's hoping!

Sorry man, but I'm also pleased I didn't divert that way as I didn't get home till 9 as it was and traffic was awful.   

Got to be someone over that way!

7 hours ago, yes oui si said:

New front struts

New rear beam

New bearings

New abs sensors

New track rod ends

New drop links

IMG_20220927_133711.thumb.jpg.677fc5471ae92cb514f8371475c2f700.jpg

Back needs to come down a bit more. Another 50mm should do it. 

Welding booked in for next month. 

Bit of a tickle on the sill and it'll be a forever car.  

I don't like the stance, but I like that you're treating it.  It's a grand car.

7 hours ago, gm said:

bloody hell - i thought this was going to be a stop gap motor ? sounds like your going all in :) 

It goes BWAAAAA. I'm a sucker for a car that goes BWAAAAA. 

Seriously though, it has a lot of potential, it was just getting a bit tired and baggy. 

I budgeted a grand for a fun car, I'm still well under that. 

A few bits left to go and it'll be reet. 

After three and a quarter years I decided it was time to get the tracking done on the 205 so I took it to the local tyre place to get it sorted. While I was there I had a few people asking me about it and the usual 'I haven't seen one of those for ages' comments. It feels a lot better now that it's been done.

I also bought an oil filter for the Saxo on the off chance that I might give it an oil change. 

A few years in the pokey for the tractor driver I should think. Looks like it had some kind of load distribution problem as well though, I can't tell from my armchair.

Amazingly the car driver reportedly climbed out a few moments later. I don't believe in God but I do believe in fate!

Finally got around to the noisy wheelbearing on the XC90.

TL/DR :  how to turn a  2 hour job into a 4 hour job  rear left still  to do.

A faff but not horrendous. The steering ball joint was the most faff to undo and do back up due to a burr on the nut threads, just the  usual half hours fun  slowly trying to get what grip with an 8 mm wrench on the tip and  a quarter turn  the nut with an 18 mm spanner . Everything else came apart with no real issue and re assembly is the reverse of dissasemly with the added bonus  of fighting  the now fully extended suspension.

It was just enough time for me to forget to clean up the tie rod nut and get it on 2 turns before it all  merrily locked up and spun round and round. The next 45 minutes was spent  cursing  while trying various mole grips, channel locks and small spanners to hold the stub and Jack the underside of the ball joint. Motivated by the thought of street parking the Mustang till I could unfuck the Volvo   as it was now stuck onthe garage  I zipped across the top of the stub and used a long  flat blade screwdriver jammed into the slot  to hold it  enough to get the nut off.  I cleaned the nut up  and it went back on fine.

Just the rear left now tho that's a fair bit easier just caliper/  disc  and one bolt out of a control arm not  almost total front dissasemly. 

Its quieter now but the rear one is still left to do.

20220929_101551.jpg