The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Good news.. 

Lion batteries will be no longer from the 1st October

ECP are now going to be branding them as starline, and making them trade only

Hopefully most people in the trade realize they are utter shit and won't fit them, so the hateful useless pieces of shit should slowly disappear 😁

Also; Starline's slogan is now "Automotive Solution".. didn't it used to be "Attractive Solution" or am I imagining things!?

15 minutes ago, Asimo said:

“Trade”  What does that mean?
If it is like Dulux Trade gloss paint, it means the best paint Dulux make. 
If it is like bathroom taps, it means the shittiest tap loadsamoney the plumber can get away with fitting.

tap160al_1_900x.jpg.9f9c2d780b3a731b0fa68cf808be4af4.jpg

You mean these. Strangely enough, I've had very similar ones in my bathroom for 22 years and they've been perfect, whereas a lot of expensive taps go wrong.

Went out to an aca with a flat tyre and unable too undo the locking wheel bolt, I thought I'll just pop out with wheel brace and bish bash bosh be ace.... no... nailing down with rain main A road  blocking a live lane and so I swapped cars and called recovery who said they won't do nowt till the old bill are called to make it safe, called the old bill they said can I drive it a bit too make it safer for me so I drove it 200yds and turned into a lane, called recovery, AA came said nuts fubared and he would temporarily plug the puncture..

What fun... and least a 🌈 came out to say hello..lol

20220926_092557.jpg

20220926_150454.jpg

20220926_094401.jpg

20220926_204917.jpg

20220926_121751.jpg

20220926_122044.jpg

58 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Good news.. 

Lion batteries will be no longer from the 1st October

ECP are now going to be branding them as starline, and making them trade only

Hopefully most people in the trade realize they are utter shit and won't fit them, so the hateful useless pieces of shit should slowly disappear 😁

Also; Starline's slogan is now "Automotive Solution".. didn't it used to be "Attractive Solution" or am I imagining things!?

Sorry, but on what do you base the whole Lion hate?

I’ve bought four of them over the last five years, all working perfectly still. 

I would rather spend £45 on something that’ll last five years, than £120 on something that’ll last seven. The law of diminishing return applies on what is, after all, a consumable. 

Just now, BorniteIdentity said:

I would rather spend £45 on something that’ll last five years, than £120 on something that’ll last seven. The law of diminishing return applies on what is, after all, a consumable. 

In my experience they're crap

Better makes such as yuasa or exide are not a lot more

The only batteries I replace are relatively new Lion ones or ancient ones from better brands 🤷‍♂️

22 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Thanks! 

We’ll definitely be heading to the Halloween one, I saw that earlier and stuck it in the calendar.

Have you got much experience of the Swaffham raceway one? I saw that was on this weekend too. I only live 5 mins from there so wondered if it was worth a look in too?

Tarmac track Swaffham. I raced there many moons ago.

Keeps changing promoter, Not sure who runs it now.

Not as much cover or facilities as Kings Lynn, and no affiliation. But decent track. 

Quality of racing may depend how many cars they get on the day.

Lion batteries are absolutely terrible.

I buy, on average, one car battery a forthight (particularly in the winter) and the amount of Lion batteries I've had to return far outnumber any other make.  When you have a customer on their way to collect their shiny new (old!) car and the flippin battery you fitted last week has already turned its toes, things start wearing a little thin.

I guess we bought maybe twenty ECP 'specials' before I learnt my lesson and now go elsewhere.  In fact, I don't buy anything from ECP any more apart from clutches.  They are normally cheapest for genuine Sachs/ LUK parts.

22 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Have you got much experience of the Swaffham raceway one? I saw that was on this weekend too. I only live 5 mins from there so wondered if it was worth a look in too?

Swaffham used to be run by Trackstar, the same promoter as Kings Lynn, until about 20 years ago, it's been through a few hands since and I haven't been there for a few years, you don't really hear too much about it nowadays. Its problem is a bit political, basically most of the main tracks are part of a governing body called the ORC, Swaffham and several other smaller tracks that aren't but it's not generally an issue, drivers can race at ORC and non-ORC tracks as they please, but I believe that's not the case at Swaffham and any driver racing there would be banned by the ORC from racing at their tracks for a period of time. Not a problem if you just want to race at Swaffham but a lot of drivers like to race at different tracks. 

That doesn't mean it's not worth a look if it's on your doorstep, some tracks run quite happily on their own local driver base and formulae and have good racing, but Kings Lynn in particular attracts drivers from all over and I'd expect it to have more cars than Swaffham.

31 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

My Citroen garage never thought them worth buying.

I’ve been getting Bosch from tayna.co.uk for years.

Bought a Lion battery a year ago from ECP for the wifes duster. Its still providing electricity when needed. From memory it was 39 quid, so if it shits itself within the next year I wont cry over it.

Also used these for the first time today20220926_170111.thumb.jpg.e6c0399725e6431c0c067a35af04e82e.jpg

Was a little nervous given the amount of nuns and kittens that have been killed over the years so took great care....20220926_153959.thumb.jpg.737f97f717157fe52d84dda085318fdf.jpg

strut mount totally fucked20220926_153954.thumb.jpg.5fb6ab0e9affbbd56d4ca9d55af4f713.jpg

back together within minutes20220926_155343.thumb.jpg.9ef7e825b077e7729ba426e43e0dd087.jpg

nice and easy job, not as scary as first thought. Spring compressors were 25 quid from screwfix and are pretty well made. Nice to be working on a modern where everything isnt rusted to fuck

I am not someone who you want looking at a car for a mechanical inspection, but I am 14 minutes away from Rugby and could spare 20 minutes at around 4.30pm tomorrow if someone looking at it and making sure it exists made your life better

I suppose I’m very atypical for a member of this forum in that, in more than 20 years of car ownership, I’ve only ever owned three cars, and I still have two of them.

Until today. After 13 years (and  89000 pretty much trouble-free miles) l’ve finally bitten the bullet and traded in my bASe-model Golf that I’ve had since new… for another Golf. Farewell old friend, you served me well…🥺

When I was emptying it out yesterday, I found three solidified lumps of chewing gum stuck to the carpet under the passenger seat. Which is curious, as I don’t remember ever in those 13 years having anyone in the car who was in the habit of chewing gum… 🤔

0067B581-7395-4BDC-84B9-2E8BA713C2D0.jpeg

6 hours ago, loserone said:

I am not someone who you want looking at a car for a mechanical inspection, but I am 14 minutes away from Rugby and could spare 20 minutes at around 4.30pm tomorrow if someone looking at it and making sure it exists made your life better

I think I'd define that as, you can probably tell him not to buy it, being able to spot an obvious turd from 10 foot away, but wouldn't be able to tell him to definately buy it, as you might find it hard to spot a polished turd that's been rolled in glitter. 

How many cars have I driven an hour to look at and within 25 seconds knew i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy? 50% 

8 hours ago, loserone said:

Hey. That’s really kind, let me see if the guy is around.

There’s absolutely no pressure on you - just look at it this way: is it worth me going to see. I’m not expecting a forensic report, just that it doesn’t have holes underneath (as far as you can see).

I’ll drop you a line. Thank you. 

12 hours ago, reb said:

Lion batteries are shit.

They know they're shit.

You don't change the name of a successful product.

So, what is Starlight meant to express?

(Sun notwithstanding) Doesn't provide enough energy to be tangibly useful?

May cease to be at any time, either by vanishing or exploding violently?

2 minutes ago, PhilA said:

So, what is Starlight meant to express?

(Sun notwithstanding) Doesn't provide enough energy to be tangibly useful?

May cease to be at any time, either by vanishing or exploding violently?

"Only visible to the human eye during the hours of darkness" is what I'm going with.

There's a charity run organized by Practical Classics today, Sheffield Park to Birling Gap - might toddle up there to (hopefully) see  the restored Rebel. Tomorrow is Tilburstow to Rochester Airport, Thursday is a Cambridgeshire circuit starting at St Ives, Friday is TBC. Deets on their FB page.

Let's try again.  Anyone in Daventry here?!  Loserone was going to check out a car for me because I thought it was in Rugby.  It isn't.  Neither is he!  

Just really hoping for someone to clamber under a car and tell me there are no holes.  I'm not after an AA 59 point inspection.

Here's hoping!