The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The MX-5 and the Type R got oil and filter changes today. Both are pleasingly clean and tidy underneath for cars known to rot. The only issue on the MX5 is that the chassis rails are scraped to fuck as it's so low. I'm going to raise the coilovers a bit at some point.

Type R was a mild pain, the sump plug is under a skidplate and the filter is a wheel off job. MX5 could only have been easier if it didn't have an undertray. Filter is accessible by hand and came right off. It's had a competent owner in the past. 

Pleasingly, the tappets on both cars have quietened down and they're both running smoother. Happy days. 

MX5 needs to go for an MOT when I have time, and after that the Type R.

The Type R needs new tyres and front dampers as they're shot. 

PXL_20220924_134311622.jpg

I treated myself to another car brochure, for a car I've a soft spot for!

20220924_131912.thumb.jpg.24dd4e7fd397ce93553858783cb123a4.jpg

A Europe spec, English brochure for the Cadillac XLR! A car they sold officially here in the UK and sold all of about 2 examples (according to How Many left). 

It's a lotto win car for myself. :)

I packed up working on the Mini about 6pm. We got a replacement hub carrier from Silverlake, but caught in terrible traffic on the way back because axidumped on the A27.

FBBBF728-6E19-405F-B1FE-BC70E613CE3B.jpeg

I found the least seized and manky looking one of the good stock of R50s they had, but the bearing is shot, so I’ve ordered another along with brake flexis. Mounted it to the replacement strut as it’s easier assembling it off the car. Bottom ball joint feels good and the boot isn’t perished so it will do. The disc is rust welded to the bearing hub so it’s soaking overnight in plusgas. I hope I don’t need to press the bearing out as that is something I don’t have.

Ugga-dugga gun made this job a lot easier than fannying around with breaker bars. Hoping tomorrow I can get these swapped over. I don’t want to use the second hand bearing but if I can swap the good one so madam can use the car for a couple of days while I wait for the new one to be delivered.

I actually need to do work on the SAAB as the MoT is up in 2 weeks, but SWMBO jr wanted this done this weekend 🤨

I managed to find some red primer so I spritzed that on the bare metal patches. I've now sanded the whole panel for the final time and made everything level and smooth for paint. Hopefully I can get some colour on it tomorrow.

PXL_20220924_184115954.jpg

PXL_20220924_185029151.jpg

I went to watch banger racing for the first time in my life tonight and bloody loved it. Getting sprayed in mud and bits of driveshaft whilst eating cold chips with shit cheese on top surrounded by pikeys.

I can’t believe I’ve never been considering I live so close to a couple of circuits and get in free to Kings Lynn one through work. Definitely going to be going regularly, really enjoyed it. 

55CA509F-DB71-4D56-A197-EE5E8468709C.jpeg

48 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I went to watch banger racing for the first time in my life tonight and bloody loved it. Getting sprayed in mud and bits of driveshaft whilst eating cold chips with shit cheese on top surrounded by pikeys.

I can’t believe I’ve never been considering I live so close to a couple of circuits and get in free to Kings Lynn one through work. Definitely going to be going regularly, really enjoyed it. 

55CA509F-DB71-4D56-A197-EE5E8468709C.jpeg

I love watching banger racing in YouTube although from your account I think I'll just keep it that way 😅 Vans are my favourite for some reason.

47 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Also try the Speedway if you have never seen that. No brakes on a Speedway bike.

Bleedin 15 years we raced there and you show up after his retirement!

7 minutes ago, Mally said:

Also try the Speedway if you have never seen that. No brakes on a Speedway bike.

Bleedin 15 years we raced there and you show up after his retirement!

I have been to speedway before, have actually worked at a couple of speedway events. Good night out but just doesn’t interest me like the bangers did - probably because seeing old shit cars is relatable for me, in fact mrs JJ stood next to me said and I quote “I know why you like this, its because it’s full of old fucked cars, most of your cars have been old and fucked” 😂

7 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

I have been to speedway before, have actually worked at a couple of speedway events. Good night out but just doesn’t interest me like the bangers did - probably because seeing old shit cars is relatable for me, in fact mrs JJ stood next to me said and I quote “I know why you like this, its because it’s full of old fucked cars, most of your cars have been old and fucked” 😂

Many are only fucked on the outside.

The big boys often run highly tuned engines, bearing no relationship  to the body shell.

There are classes you can't change engine, and some you can.

Reliants are good to watch if there's  plenty of cars. Many  use tuned Reliant engines.

18 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

We are all different, but I would much rather have a Marina with b series diesel than that.

I wouldn't go as far as that, but a 1.8 TC coupe definitely. My friend had one and you could spin the wheels in third gear and throttle steer it with ease. Just as much fun as the Aston for less than the cost of a set of brake pads probably. Certainly at that time anyway, it couldn't have cost him more than a few hundred or else he wouldn't have bought it. Tundra green too. 

I need to start work on the Mini again but I’m in two minds what to do. I thought maybe I could try and drill out the knackered bolt in the hub carrier - I do have a small bench drill.

It would save the hassle of trying to get those manky bits pressed out, which is something I can then rebuild at leisure and when the Mini needs a new bearing I can just whip the wheel off, then the brake and just swap the whole unit.

Got around to fixing the Golf.  A common fault is for the lugs on the intercooler pipe into the EGR to wear which means that it pops out under induction.  Happened to me last Sunday on A23, turned out I didn't have a valid MOT and cost me the best part of £500 to get recovered home as the AA wouldn't fix it at the roadside (fair enough).  Hell of a noise when it came off and suddenly losing power going for an overtake with smoke coming out of the back like a destroyer running from Yamato is not entirely entertaining...

£25 later on eBay for a replacement pattern part and about half an hour of my time.  The only tricky thing was getting the circular clip off the bottom of the pipe with a pair of mole grips, as the access is fiddly and I'm a ham-fisted idiot.  Popped the car into gear on the drive, left the handbrake on and got the turbo to spin up and it didn't pop off - so as far as I can legally test it, it's working. 

MOT next Saturday morning so we'll see how it goes.  Going down to Bath for work the week after that for a couple of days and I don't want to get the train, really.

Intercooler pipe:

IMG_7580.thumb.jpeg.e55010e95bde2a468f7a4e40e537f762.jpeg

Corroded lugs:

IMG_7578.thumb.jpeg.a6a7ef84de89b785b0a6d94bb4472048.jpeg

Fixerated

IMG_7577.jpeg

Strut off

944DD189-2677-4AE0-B6BB-DF2A0C5030B3.jpeg

Going to work the sheared bolt out somehow at stepdaughter’s boyfriend’s place as he has special electrical bench tools

I’m really glad I got this out. Not only is the damper itself knackered, so is the top mount.

Proper bollocksed

The last time out on the red c90 it was quite cold and it activated my white finger even though I was wearing proper gloves. 

I invested £11 on ebay for some thinsulate leather gloves. I've been out today for a good hour in cold weather and these have done the job.

Not sure how they can make and deliver leather gloves for that price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153914025356

20220925_113345.jpg

10 minutes ago, paulplom said:

I was on a road trip to Leicester to flog the brown c90 and got a couple of spots.

20220924_142113.jpg

20220924_155719.jpg

Those arrow series cars have really got my attention. Lovely simple crisp design. This one would be the best of all worlds really, especially if the conversions done well. 60s tin with no ford badge seems criminally under valued

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204077886683?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=r4zKQq5LQQ-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=svwv9r4orxa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

18 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

It was a cracking night's racing, you can't really go wrong with a head to head team event like that. I travel all over for racing and would say Kings Lynn is consistently the best track in the country at the moment, I've done around 30 meetings this season and half of them have been at Lynn, it's well run and always has plenty of cars. Shame it's 100 miles away from where I am in Essex but usually well worth the trip.

Highlights video from Impact Videos, the track's official video company, is here, too much going on to see it all on the night!