The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

10 minutes ago, paulplom said:

I was on a road trip to Leicester to flog the brown c90 and got a couple of spots.

20220924_142113.jpg

20220924_155719.jpg

Those arrow series cars have really got my attention. Lovely simple crisp design. This one would be the best of all worlds really, especially if the conversions done well. 60s tin with no ford badge seems criminally under valued

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204077886683?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=r4zKQq5LQQ-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=svwv9r4orxa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

18 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

I went to watch banger racing for the first time in my life tonight and bloody loved it. Getting sprayed in mud and bits of driveshaft whilst eating cold chips with shit cheese on top surrounded by pikeys.

I can’t believe I’ve never been considering I live so close to a couple of circuits and get in free to Kings Lynn one through work. Definitely going to be going regularly, really enjoyed it. 

It was a cracking night's racing, you can't really go wrong with a head to head team event like that. I travel all over for racing and would say Kings Lynn is consistently the best track in the country at the moment, I've done around 30 meetings this season and half of them have been at Lynn, it's well run and always has plenty of cars. Shame it's 100 miles away from where I am in Essex but usually well worth the trip.

Highlights video from Impact Videos, the track's official video company, is here, too much going on to see it all on the night!

Track rod end is showing no signs of wanting to come undone, even twatting the spanner with a lump hammer the lock nut isn't moving - not entirely surprising as thanks to the joys of corrosion the nut and the TRE have become as one.  I've left it all soaking in Plus Gas and I'll try again another day.  Worst case I'll have to get the garage to do it - I imagine they have more sophisticated ways of getting rusty things undone than I do - but I could do without forking out for garage labour at the moment.

F6D7EB21-DC38-48EF-8E59-A198A8B615AB.jpeg

Bit of ingenuity required. I reamed out the sheared bolt to 10mm. It’s an M12 thread so with my assistant we tapped a new thread in it. But the replacement bolt wouldn’t go home. So after a chat with the tame fitter at work he brought round a bit of hi tensile 10mm studding with a nyloc and washer on each end which acts as a temporary pinch bolt.

Everything else went back on like a dream which was nice. A quick drive up the road and the difference in the car is night and day. Feels a lot more responsive. I’ll retorque things tomorrow before stepdaughter goes home.

Does mean with some urgency I need to rebuild the second hub carrier I bought yesterday so I’ll start acquiring bits for that and get building it up.

4 hours ago, neil1971 said:

It was a cracking night's racing, you can't really go wrong with a head to head team event like that. I travel all over for racing and would say Kings Lynn is consistently the best track in the country at the moment, I've done around 30 meetings this season and half of them have been at Lynn, it's well run and always has plenty of cars. Shame it's 100 miles away from where I am in Essex but usually well worth the trip.

Highlights video from Impact Videos, the track's official video company, is here, too much going on to see it all on the night!

Great to watch that, I missed the head on where it caught fire - mrs JJ saw it but I was looking the other way. 

What time does it finish? We left when the heavy rain came as had to get home for the dogs but I plan on going again ASAP!

Rare spot today… 

07693550-5348-42E5-8166-98E47F25F799.jpeg229C61B3-2B7E-4B8E-980C-FFD76EE51709.jpeg

2.3 supercharged one… gorgeously understated.

Sadly bar a fair few miles in the 9000 on family duties that was all the car action in my weekend. Frustrating as I’d really hoped to get a couple of hours to finally finish the 2CV revival ready for an MoT, drain the Nova’s tank and investigate the Pontiac’s misfire. 

34 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Rare spot today… 

07693550-5348-42E5-8166-98E47F25F799.jpeg229C61B3-2B7E-4B8E-980C-FFD76EE51709.jpeg

2.3 supercharged one… gorgeously understated.

Sadly bar a fair few miles in the 9000 on family duties that was all the car action in my weekend. Frustrating as I’d really hoped to get a couple of hours to finally finish the 2CV revival ready for an MoT, drain the Nova’s tank and investigate the Pontiac’s misfire. 

is it beige?

Not got as much done this weekend as I'd hoped, partly due to it pissing down for most of yesterday.  The Mobylette does now have a full complement of working indicators though - the problem with the nearside turned out to be a dodgy earth at the back and a short at the front.  I had to drill out the screws holding the back lens on - I thought the bulb was the culprit but that was actually OK, although both rear indicators had 6 volt bulbs in (which might explain why the right indicator was flashing slightly irregularly and also why it was brighter than it should be), now replaced with the correct 12v items.

I made an attempt at starting to glue the headlining back up in the Rover 75, but that didn't go very well.  I have managed to stick up the bit just above the driver's seat though, so that's something I suppose.  I might have to try a different glue as the one I'm using needs to be sprayed on both surfaces to work and that's a bit awkward to do through the hole for the interior light (I'm trying to avoid taking the whole headlining out as I know I'll never get it back in again properly if I do).

Today was spent fighting the LDV.  The nearside ball joint took me nearly two hours to do (although admittedly some of that was spent looking for tools).  The bolts and the ball joint nut actually came undone OK and the ball joint itself came free after several minutes of twatting a ball joint splitter with a lump hammer, the problem was I couldn't lever the wishbone down far enough for the ball joint to pop out of the arm.  I ended up jacking the hub assembly up to lift it clear of the arm and eventually managed to get the ball joint out, but fitting the new one was even more of a twat as jacking the hub up pulled it backwards and out of line with the wishbone, and obviously with the strut assembly up on the jack and under some tension it wasn't possible to swing the strut forward to line up.  I ended up fitting the ball joint through the wishbone first, then dropping the hub onto the mounting plate in the hope that I could then lever it into place.  It didn't quite work the first two times, but somehow the third time the hub landed in more or less the right place and I was able to get one of the mounting bolts in.  After that it was just a case of levering things around and turning the steering to get the other mounting holes to line up.

The offside drop link was relatively easy by comparison.  The nuts were seized to buggery as you'd expect, but handily there were flats machined into the ball joints so I could hold them in place with a 16mm spanner braced against a suitable suspension component and then get the breaker bar on the nuts.  The track rod end, as mentioned earlier, has hitherto shown no signs of wanting to come undone - I'm going to leave it soaking in Plus Gas for a while to see if that helps, I've never actually used the stuff before but I've heard good things.  Can't fault the MOT tester though, there is a hell of a lot of play in the TRE. 

I couldn't face attempting the other ball joint and I only had a couple of hours' daylight left by then anyway, so I just cracked the nuts / bolts off (the ball joint on that side had obviously been fitted with an ugga dugga gun because I had to brace my feet on the hub and heave on the breaker bar just to get the mounting bolts to come undone) and then put the wheel back on, packed the tools away, and went back to the house to mow the lawn (which currently seems to consist primarily of mushrooms) and paint the bottom of the front door where the paint was peeling.  In the last half hour or so of daylight I stuck the Renault 6 up on the ramps and slapped some Hydrate 80 on the (many) rusty bits, in an attempt to prevent them from getting any worse between now and next spring, when I'll hopefully finally get around to getting some more welding done...

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Great to watch that, I missed the head on where it caught fire - mrs JJ saw it but I was looking the other way. 

What time does it finish? We left when the heavy rain came as had to get home for the dogs but I plan on going again ASAP!

It finished at about 10pm, that's about the usual time although occasionally it'll be a bit later. 

Next one there is in just under three weeks, Sat 15th October, it's all bangers again, 2 litres (mostly Mondeos), 1500cc (Astra / Focus), Juniors 11 - 16 years old (Micra & similar) and Ladies. There probably won't be quite as much crashing as on Saturday but it should be lively enough, some drivers like to race and some prefer to crash.

Sat 29th October is the Halloween meeting, Unlimited Bangers so Mercs, Granada Scorpios, Jags, Volvos and maybe the odd Yank, probably a few Hearses, also 1300 Stock Cars which are armoured up Corsas and similar and the Reliant Robins which are a bit of fun. I'd expect a big crowd for that if the weather's OK, there's fireworks and fancy dress parades and other stuff for kids so it's popular with families as well the banger regulars.

There is one in between those two on Sat 22nd October but no bangers that night, it's BriSCA F1 and F2 stock cars.

Trackstar, the promoters, usually have the lists of drivers on their website in the week prior to the meeting and they're generally pretty accurate so you can get a good idea of how many cars to expect.  

6 minutes ago, neil1971 said:

It finished at about 10pm, that's about the usual time although occasionally it'll be a bit later. 

Next one there is in just under three weeks, Sat 15th October, it's all bangers again, 2 litres (mostly Mondeos), 1500cc (Astra / Focus), Juniors 11 - 16 years old (Micra & similar) and Ladies. There probably won't be quite as much crashing as on Saturday but it should be lively enough, some drivers like to race and some prefer to crash.

Sat 29th October is the Halloween meeting, Unlimited Bangers so Mercs, Granada Scorpios, Jags, Volvos and maybe the odd Yank, probably a few Hearses, also 1300 Stock Cars which are armoured up Corsas and similar and the Reliant Robins which are a bit of fun. I'd expect a big crowd for that if the weather's OK, there's fireworks and fancy dress parades and other stuff for kids so it's popular with families as well the banger regulars.

There is one in between those two on Sat 22nd October but no bangers that night, it's BriSCA F1 and F2 stock cars.

Trackstar, the promoters, usually have the lists of drivers on their website in the week prior to the meeting and they're generally pretty accurate so you can get a good idea of how many cars to expect.  

Thanks! 

We’ll definitely be heading to the Halloween one, I saw that earlier and stuck it in the calendar.

Have you got much experience of the Swaffham raceway one? I saw that was on this weekend too. I only live 5 mins from there so wondered if it was worth a look in too?

Finally motivated myself to actually go outside and try sorting out the starting issue on the Elgrand. 

Spent a good half hour wrestling with the undertray to get it off as half the bolts had been mangled. 

With it finally removed, I could clearly see that the starter motor wasn't there. Quick search showed it was behind the wheelarch, accessible without removing the undertray. 

Spent a while with an angle grinder reshaping the knackered bolts that had caused the undertray removal so difficult and it was okay getting it back on and should come off easier next time. 

Then it started raining so I went back in having not actually done anything. 

Will try and find motivation during the week. 

8 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Finally motivated myself to actually go outside and try sorting out the starting issue on the Elgrand. 

Spent a good half hour wrestling with the undertray to get it off as half the bolts had been mangled. 

With it finally removed, I could clearly see that the starter motor wasn't there. Quick search showed it was behind the wheelarch, accessible without removing the undertray. 

Spent a while with an angle grinder reshaping the knackered bolts that had caused the undertray removal so difficult and it was okay getting it back on and should come off easier next time. 

Then it started raining so I went back in having not actually done anything. 

Will try and find motivation during the week. 

Sounds like you sorted the undertray though? Not a total loss

Good news.. 

Lion batteries will be no longer from the 1st October

ECP are now going to be branding them as starline, and making them trade only

Hopefully most people in the trade realize they are utter shit and won't fit them, so the hateful useless pieces of shit should slowly disappear 😁

Also; Starline's slogan is now "Automotive Solution".. didn't it used to be "Attractive Solution" or am I imagining things!?

15 minutes ago, Asimo said:

“Trade”  What does that mean?
If it is like Dulux Trade gloss paint, it means the best paint Dulux make. 
If it is like bathroom taps, it means the shittiest tap loadsamoney the plumber can get away with fitting.

tap160al_1_900x.jpg.9f9c2d780b3a731b0fa68cf808be4af4.jpg

You mean these. Strangely enough, I've had very similar ones in my bathroom for 22 years and they've been perfect, whereas a lot of expensive taps go wrong.