The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Well the Maxus failed the MOT as predicted.  Two front bottom balljoints, a track rod end and a drop link, plus a corroded brake pipe which I hadn't spotted, and the bit of inner sill which I had.  Also needs the nearside headlight polishing, a front number plate and the handbrake adjusting.  So a fair bit to do but nothing terminal.  I had visions of having to replace both front wishbones, but the ball joints on these actually bolt to the bottom of the hub carrier and poke down through the end of the wishbone, so that should make replacement easier (and will definitely make it cheaper).

About £60 in bits, which I've already ordered - hopefully they'll be here in time for me to fit them at the weekend, then I'll have to see if I can persuade my welding mate to stick a patch on the inner sill.

3 hours ago, vulgalour said:

All repaired and ready to go.  Booked in for the retest at 16:30 today.  Literally took me longer to get out the tools and tidy up than to do the repairs.  Blown rear bulb decided to work because it wasn't blown at all, it was just being a little shit.

Retest complete: PASS  As if there was any doubt.

14 minutes ago, egg said:

If you see a tradesman turn up in a full body kitted Traaaansit Sports on a private plate....do you think...

(a) top lad!
(b) style over substance?
(c) he's charging too much...

ford-transit-custom.jpg

D) They’re going to tarmac my drive and try to get me to agree to having some trees cut down or my roof pressure washed.

16 minutes ago, barefoot said:

E - Twat.

The tradesman or the judgemental customer?

Oh, how dare a tradesman have some self respect and choose a nice vehicle in which to spend their entire day? They don't deserve that! They should be driving around in poverty!

Get over yourselves, all of you.

12 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Oh, how dare a tradesman have some self respect and choose a nice vehicle in which to spend their entire day? They don't deserve that! They should be driving around in poverty!

I thought more likely a comment about the tastes of the sort of person who'd think that was a cool van rather than thinking that tradesman shouldn't be allowed it

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I get where you're coming from....but a true story from my working life, me and a colleague were auditing a public service, me turned up in my old Fiat Uno, m'colleague turned up in new Porsche Boxster.

Staff there said we don't want to be checked up on in a guy who drives a Porsche, and he was taken off the job.

People make daft judgements like that all the time, sadly.

4 hours ago, egg said:

If you see a tradesman turn up in a full body kitted Traaaansit Sports on a private plate....do you think...

(a) top lad!

ford-transit-custom.jpg

E) I bet he's got an I phone that was launched in the last 3 months, and his "wife" is the same colour as the van, and has bleached blond hair and botox. 

But b. 

5 hours ago, egg said:

(a) top lad!

ford-transit-custom.jpg

Can't I think B and C?

4 hours ago, Supernaut said:

If they spend their entire day in it they aren't going to get much work done, are they?

On 9/21/2022 at 8:12 PM, stuboy said:

Just seen a rover for sale on Facebook.. thought I'd share it on here..

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1034634554153293/

They could use the £700 to get some lessons in punctuation and grammar! Not a single bit of punctuation in that essay 😅

"Water pump needs putting back on" - BS translator - something has snapped along the way and is a total pain in the arse to sort out. Or the cambelt/water pump job went tits up, timing etc, so thats a convenient way of hiding it ...

8 hours ago, egg said:

(a) top lad!

ford-transit-custom.jpg

There's a builder's firm local to me, they have a fleet of these new shape transits and transporters, posh ones, and a couple of supercars, and a couple of recent (<5 years) range rover sports, all with private plates, a nice modern office, aforementioned supercars often parked illegally. Whenever someone asks for a job to be done - total radio silence and they never hear back from them. Not a one off, heard it happen multiple times. Dont know what their game is, does make me wonder though. 

To answer your question, C) - if you can even get any work done!

22 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

One of the most photographed cars on t'interweb has finally been bought. 

Screenshot_20220922_211818.thumb.jpg.ac9b2566e3fcec355fbcadd44494b1b6.jpg

I think it belonged to the deceased son of the people who had it or something. Guess they maybe died or went into a home or something? Or just wanted to see it restored. 

Crikey, I photographed that in 2013. It was in such plain sight too, as you say, literally just sitting there on a driveway. I hope it is restored, its probably worth it these days.