The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

15 hours ago, PhilA said:

I thought the point of auto parts stores selling oil and filters was for it to be cheaper for the home spanner wielding idiot to change their oil?

Oil for my car, $63 (fancy synthetic water thin stuff) plus a filter for $23.

Oil and filter plus a carwash at the dealership $53.

At least the Pontiac costs $14 a change 

I know the garage I use buy the bulk of their oil by the drum. They're considerably cheaper than the gallon jugs. Presumably because there is less packaging involved. Also they tend to use oil from TPS (VAG trade parts) and they won't have the cost of advertising and marketing to pay back either. 

After yesterday's irritating debacle in trying to buy a replacement for the Focus, it's got a stay of execution. If I drive it back to my in-laws, cartakeback will give me £405. That's versus £335 if collected locally. Probably the course of action to take is it's the least hassle.

Anyhow I decided to treat it to a new air filter. Hopefully it'll pay back in fuel savings. Not that it probably will pay back the tenner for the filter when doing less than 500 miles a month. 😅

Super easy to change and a big old filter.
2c585ff1c627e16c353e778504782416.jpg
3dc3eb7995a286529180d9ad64655a18.jpg

The old one is an absolutely filthy thing
56058002e119ab3977785cdbd1673a86.jpg
848158743afdc57652cd6107dcc3c9ad.jpg

Looking at the date code of the filter it gives a manufactured date of April 2009 !?
6571621bda942deae0e4daa9b18f465f.jpg

If it was changed in the best case in 2010, that gives nearly 79k miles on this. I think this car has been run by changing the bare minimum. I suspect it has had oil changes in that period as I wouldn't have thought engine oil to last quite that long. The previous owner said it had them done 2 years ago - I asked after I paid and signed the paperwork, so he had no real reason to lie. Does potentially make the cambelt almost certainly original though. Or one replacement in the first three years of its life going by it was just under warranty when it had its first MOT.

It's taking a lot of effort to not do an oil change on it. Zero point as the scrap man won't pay any more for fresh engine oil and filter!

Still runs and drives really well mind.

Unlikely to be of much interest, but sent ex @Kiltox @purplebargekeni10 off to have it's screen pump fixed, needed a new one, so mechanic got one from Hyundai. Also had an oil and filter, to stop me pretending I'm going to do it! Anyway first actual 'bill' in the two years we've had it. Can't go to far wrong with these it seems.

18 minutes ago, egg said:

Unlikely to be of much interest, but sent ex @Kiltox @purplebargekeni10 off to have it's screen pump fixed, needed a new one, so mechanic got one from Hyundai. Also had an oil and filter, to stop me pretending I'm going to do it! Anyway first actual 'bill' in the two years we've had it. Can't go to far wrong with these it seems.

Did it have a horrible aftermarket one on it? I can’t remember if that was one of the very few jobs I had to do to it. Stonking thing. 

21 hours ago, vulgalour said:

FAIL

Rear marker light - blown bulb.  Typically this happened on the way to the MoT since I tested everything before setting off.

Insecure headlight - the two screws holding the bracket in had backed out a bit, they need a fraction of a turn.  Already fixed that one.

Rust to inner wing/hole in chassis - I should have spotted this, somehow I didn't.  It appears to just be the inner skin, the structure behind it seems okay.  I'll know better when I get the angry disc on it, but I can't see it being too nightmarish to resolve.

IMAG6504.thumb.jpg.71db8fd974b0f6119661832e213e1bad.jpg

Rust to inner sill - an historic repair with a loose edge.  There doesn't look to be any rust, just an unfinished edge that needs securing.  Don't have a photo of this to show you at the moment, so you'll have to use your brain pictures.

Advisory - oil leak to front.  It's the rocker cover gasket, TADTS.  I've got a new one to go on, I'll do the tappets at the same time, probably shan't bother for the retest since it's not vital and the leak is just your usual nonsense.

The nice thing is all the work I've done on it, like the rear arches, has been considered perfectly fine.  It's only work others have done, or general entropy, that's been flagged.

All repaired and ready to go.  Booked in for the retest at 16:30 today.  Literally took me longer to get out the tools and tidy up than to do the repairs.  Blown rear bulb decided to work because it wasn't blown at all, it was just being a little shit.

50 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Did it have a horrible aftermarket one on it? I can’t remember if that was one of the very few jobs I had to do to it. Stonking thing. 

Ooh, not sure, but I don't mind that he went for an OEM replacement (it does front and rear I think). He had a look over and no other issues noted.

Well the Maxus failed the MOT as predicted.  Two front bottom balljoints, a track rod end and a drop link, plus a corroded brake pipe which I hadn't spotted, and the bit of inner sill which I had.  Also needs the nearside headlight polishing, a front number plate and the handbrake adjusting.  So a fair bit to do but nothing terminal.  I had visions of having to replace both front wishbones, but the ball joints on these actually bolt to the bottom of the hub carrier and poke down through the end of the wishbone, so that should make replacement easier (and will definitely make it cheaper).

About £60 in bits, which I've already ordered - hopefully they'll be here in time for me to fit them at the weekend, then I'll have to see if I can persuade my welding mate to stick a patch on the inner sill.

3 hours ago, vulgalour said:

All repaired and ready to go.  Booked in for the retest at 16:30 today.  Literally took me longer to get out the tools and tidy up than to do the repairs.  Blown rear bulb decided to work because it wasn't blown at all, it was just being a little shit.

Retest complete: PASS  As if there was any doubt.

14 minutes ago, egg said:

If you see a tradesman turn up in a full body kitted Traaaansit Sports on a private plate....do you think...

(a) top lad!
(b) style over substance?
(c) he's charging too much...

ford-transit-custom.jpg

D) They’re going to tarmac my drive and try to get me to agree to having some trees cut down or my roof pressure washed.

16 minutes ago, barefoot said:

E - Twat.

The tradesman or the judgemental customer?

Oh, how dare a tradesman have some self respect and choose a nice vehicle in which to spend their entire day? They don't deserve that! They should be driving around in poverty!

Get over yourselves, all of you.

12 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Oh, how dare a tradesman have some self respect and choose a nice vehicle in which to spend their entire day? They don't deserve that! They should be driving around in poverty!

I thought more likely a comment about the tastes of the sort of person who'd think that was a cool van rather than thinking that tradesman shouldn't be allowed it

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I get where you're coming from....but a true story from my working life, me and a colleague were auditing a public service, me turned up in my old Fiat Uno, m'colleague turned up in new Porsche Boxster.

Staff there said we don't want to be checked up on in a guy who drives a Porsche, and he was taken off the job.

People make daft judgements like that all the time, sadly.

4 hours ago, egg said:

If you see a tradesman turn up in a full body kitted Traaaansit Sports on a private plate....do you think...

(a) top lad!

ford-transit-custom.jpg

E) I bet he's got an I phone that was launched in the last 3 months, and his "wife" is the same colour as the van, and has bleached blond hair and botox. 

But b. 

5 hours ago, egg said:

(a) top lad!

ford-transit-custom.jpg

Can't I think B and C?

4 hours ago, Supernaut said:

If they spend their entire day in it they aren't going to get much work done, are they?