The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

This is the first time I owned 4 cars at once and I have realized that since the Vivaro is now dead and needs a tow truck to the garage, 3 of 4 fleet members this year have needed a tow truck and the last one who hasn't needed it is because its broken and not in use. I wonder about my life choices at times.

Sounds like it's time to buy a sensible car. And by sensible car, I mean some tantalising piece of suspiciously priced chod that will definitely* be reliable in order that you can repair the rest of the fleet. And then when that car breaks shortly afterwards, it's time to buy another. And then another. And another... 😁

I carried out an oil change on the Cavalier today as it was last done in March by the previous owner. The filter was bastard tight and its sandwiched between the wheel and the end of the engine. I'm definitely removing the wheel next time for better access.  I couldn't remember how I did it on previous Vauxhalls with this engine. Anyway all done and it's a part of the car I haven't seen before and it's in great condition.

However I noticed that where the Saab had been sitting it had made an even bigger oil mess than before. Bollocks!

Anyway, boshed it in the garage and whipped off the vacuum pump again.

20220912_191452.thumb.jpg.b4f92d15c225f66ffaca1a7e5bb3cd4a.jpg

The new seal I fitted looked fine but I split the pump as there is a seal between the 2 halves.

For anyone that cares what a vacuum pump looks like inside here you go:

20220912_191446.thumb.jpg.9aab469dbbefb6f29e0cfef26cf0ec8b.jpg

New seal fitted.20220912_191612.thumb.jpg.dd562ea885ec9f1f4f0412bbdeba94bc.jpg

I applied some Permatex to the mating face on the cylinder head to try and get it to seal.

All put back together again. I'll leave it sitting for a few days to make 100% sure the Permatex is dry.

20220912_194145.thumb.jpg.ecef8fb859a211a39de93420f52082b4.jpg

22 hours ago, Yoss said:

Prices couldn't keep going up. Even mediocre cars were fetching stupid prices. I used to collect Landcrabs simply because they were cheap. They were never glamorous, just good sturdy family saloons. But never that popular in classic car car circles which meant you could pick up decent ones for a few hundred. But I keep seeing them now for £8k. That's just ridiculous and has to come down. Not down to the prices of twenty years ago obviously but a lot less than £8k.

People who buy classic cars as an investment deserve to get burnt anyway. That's not what they're for. 

I may have spoken too soon. 

Screenshot_20220912_202803_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.62d27cecd25e9964fd2d3db6c2ebe298.jpg

Get to fuck. 

7 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Today I made the most of the nice weather and got the Laguna up in the air to change the auto box fluid. (Obv it rained as soon as I set everything up)

The procedure with these is pretty involved requiring the car to be totally level and the fluid to be drained via a drain plug, inside of which is an overflow pipe which is used to check the level, if the oil overflows then the level is too high. With the drain plug and overflow pipe removed the oil can be drained.

To get the level right the gearbox temp needs to be at 40degrees and checked via a Renault dealer plug in device, which of course I haven’t got so some guesstimation was involved.

Refilling involves removing lots of under bonnet items to get to the fill plug, which looked to be a job on its own.

The gearbox on these is a Nissan/Renault affair which is meant to take Renault Elf Elfmatic J6 fluid. Unfortunately it's pretty pricey and there's no aftermarket alternative, Renault apparently keeping the gearbox oilspec requirements a secret. Fortunately Nissan use the same gearbag and the official Nissan oil is Nissan Matic S which does have an aftermarket option that fulfils the specification. After talking to the guys at Westway oils I bought 5 litres of this stuff.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121852237241?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=wvial-CyTyu&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=vDPbX2K9TU2&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

With the Laguna up on ramps and levelled out with a jack under the tow bar the fluid was drained. To my surprise it looked to be fairly recent and still a nice red colour. Although these boxes hold 6 litres or so only 2 litres actually came out, which was pretty annoying after going to all this trouble in the rain. I thought about how I was going to replace the oil without dismantling half the engine bay as I literally couldn’t be arsed with it all, my tools and clothes being absolutely soaked by the rain.  I then had a bit of a brain wave and left the last few drops of oil to drain out  while I scurried away into the garage and adapted a V70 power steering pump with assorted hoses and a long bolt an turned it into a pretty nifty battery drill powered fluid transfer pump. A thin piece of silicone pipe was used at the end and was pushed into the drain plug hole, butting up to the refitted overflow pipe inside the gearbox. 

The whole contraption worked much better than I expected, pumping a couple of litres of fresh oil back into the box in just a few seconds and with such pressure that I could hear the jet hitting the inside of the box. I didn’t even spill any! 

The engine was run until warm and any excess fluid drained off. 

Now I’ve got a technique for refilling the auto box I might drive it for a few weeks before swapping another couple of litres until I get through the 5 litre tub of oil I have. Then again I might not bother as the drained oil looked pretty good anyway. 

edit, I've no idea why the last image is upside down, I've even flipped it on my phone and reuploaded it and it's still the wrong way up!

431F26DE-1BE0-49B2-A795-DB938B77B3CB.jpeg

F1660EF5-94A3-47E9-AA7E-AAC1A38A8E0E.jpeg

6C9607C0-8480-456A-B04E-0C947E290AE1.jpeg

Oooh, because I'm a serial hoarder I still have my old noisy Focus power steering pump, I could weld a nut on the pulley as centrally as possible and fashion an oil pump out of it like you've done there :)

Might work better than my crappy 12v Lidl affair!

On 11/09/2022 at 21:05, Crackers said:

Been thinking about selling both the MX5 and P6 recently to fund a nice luxury estate and release some spare cash. I'd probably take a loss on both, quite a big one on the P6 looking at where their values have gone lately. 

If anyone wants either of them...

E320 CDI or E55 estates otherwise you are off my Christmas card list! 🤣

38 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

Just become a grandad again 🙂 grand daughter no2,  born this afternoon a wee bit early. 5lb8. Ella Rose.

Got another 2 on the way!

Many congrats, even though she sounds a wee bit like a Stobart truck! Are you feeling older tonight?

12 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Many congrats, even though she sounds a wee bit like a Stobart truck! Are you feeling older tonight?

Thank you, that made me laff! Not totally convinced about the name yet...

I am older tonight,  it was my birthday yesterday, so I'm older today.. that sounds daft!

I had a letter about my pension today too.. I'm only 48 FFS!

4 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

Thank you, that made me laff! Not totally convinced about the name yet...

I am older tonight,  it was my birthday yesterday, so I'm older today.. that sounds daft!

I had a letter about my pension today too.. I'm only 48 FFS!

Youth today!

Took the LTD along to Mavericks car meet in North Wales this evening. 

IMG_1019.JPG.4f1e606716ecc9e9936fedd67248ad9e.JPG

Luckily there were a few other yank tanks for me to perv on.

IMG_1017.JPG.bb559f651fe56843fba42c2c54a3c032.JPG

IMG_1018.JPG.3f1f98203122da1d745c2147e514ec4c.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG.b7a37932b17fc2c5d2ed3eed13705602.JPG

I've fancied a Kia Magentis for ages. It's probably bland AF, but it looks quasi-American without having all the drawbacks (e.g. LHD, doesn't fit anywhere, bullshit handling, low MPG). 

IMG_1023.JPG.36b93ec6a6289a5baed7f3aa7fbaec36.JPG 

On 9/12/2022 at 6:05 PM, HillmanImp said:

Yeah, hopefully its not that. I'd expect to see a fair bit of smoke if you can hear it? I don't know, never had owt like it before. 

I guess anything could've happened to the car in the past that might've caused it, if it is that. 

Will see what they say and how much they charge to tell me. 

Got the update.

Apparently one of the other injectors was a dodgy one, some sort of 'continental rework' one, so they've replaced that and its running better. 

They're not sure of the cause of the rattle though, they're still concerned it could be something sinister. I've basically said it was a cheap car, its not smoking or anything at the moment, I'm happy with that for the time being lets just roll with it. 

Will see how it gets on over the next few weeks pre MOT time. Will try a good oil change to see if it quietens it down

2 hours ago, egg said:

This is the rather insane process to change the in tank fuel filter on the Hyundai i10. I can be sure my local mechanic will say, yeah, don't fancy it m8.

I don't think anyone really bothers to change in tank filters in the UK. Our fuel is clean enough generally to not need it. 

25 minutes ago, SiC said:

I don't think anyone really bothers to change in tank filters in the UK. Our fuel is clean enough generally to not need it. 

Yes, I think I decided to leave it thanks. OEM part is only £10-12, but that's a good couple of hours work for me, but expect the book time is  a lot less. A lot of i10 videos are from India where roadside mechanics video this stuff.

It feels a bit like sealed for 'life' auto transmissions.

4 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Got the update.

Apparently one of the other injectors was a dodgy one, some sort of 'continental rework' one, so they've replaced that and its running better. 

They're not sure of the cause of the rattle though, they're still concerned it could be something sinister. I've basically said it was a cheap car, its not smoking or anything at the moment, I'm happy with that for the time being lets just roll with it. 

Will see how it gets on over the next few weeks pre MOT time. Will try a good oil change to see if it quietens it down

Well that's tentatively good news!  The rattle didn't get any worse during my ownership so hopefully that trend will continue...

8 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Well that's tentatively good news!  The rattle didn't get any worse during my ownership so hopefully that trend will continue...

It behaved in the 10 miles or so home from the garage too in traffic, so fingers crossed that no4 injector change works. 

Took the Audi for a little drive today as it has been sitting for several months. The brakes are still not good and the engine does not run properly, but I was able to drive it a bit. I have tried to sell it to cover the purchase of the Mercedes but no one is interested, it seems impossible to sell, so it is possible that it will stay with me forever.

There are 19 years between these 2 and it is noticeable as the Audi is not so different to today's cars while the Merc is, so a lot happened to cars in these 19 years.

20220914_104304.thumb.jpg.e1eed94d38b83c5a2aace6f660b16196.jpg

8 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Took the Audi for a little drive today as it has been sitting for several months. The brakes are still not good and the engine does not run properly, but I was able to drive it a bit. I have tried to sell it to cover the purchase of the Mercedes but no one is interested, it seems impossible to sell, so it is possible that it will stay with me forever.

There are 19 years between these 2 and it is noticeable as the Audi is not so different to today's cars while the Merc is, so a lot happened to cars in these 19 years.

20220914_104304.thumb.jpg.e1eed94d38b83c5a2aace6f660b16196.jpg

Wow, the developmental leap that happened over that time is crazy. It's hard to imagine noticing any difference between a car built now and one built in 2003

18 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Wow, the developmental leap that happened over that time is crazy. It's hard to imagine noticing any difference between a car built now and one built in 2003

Yes, it is quite difficult to notice a big difference between a 2022 and 2003 model. So it is incredible the development cars had in quite short time back then.

A good example of the development of cars then is a 1974 Beetle and a 1984 Golf 2 they are like 2 different worlds.