The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

No photos as dirty oily hands, but this morning I got out the syringe and rubber tubing and squirted 100ml of hot castor oil into the 2cv’s suspension cylinders. Hot weather and lack of use had brought on the braying donkey noises. Should be ok again for another ten years now!

then correctly fitted the bike carrier to the Tipo’s new roof rack with the T-bar bits (rather than the square bar clamps )which I found when looking for the castor oil.

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

No photos as dirty oily hands, but this morning I got out the syringe and rubber tubing and squirted 100ml of hot castor oil into the 2cv’s suspension cylinders. Hot weather and lack of use had brought on the braying donkey noises. Should be ok again for another ten years now!

then correctly fitted the bike carrier to the Tipo’s new roof rack with the T-bar bits (rather than the square bar clamps )which I found when looking for the castor oil.

I need to do this… 

18 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Castor oil was original, veg oil ok, extra virgin olive oil a waste, but on no account mineral oil. I do have some castor oil bottled up in 50ml lots but it’s collect-only now. 

After putting the oil in, I think it is worthwhile rotating the cylinder 180 degrees, to try and spread the oil around and equalise wear.  I usually do this on a service as well.  It rotates easily by hand with the load off the suspension.  

15 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

After putting the oil in, I think it is worthwhile rotating the cylinder 180 degrees, to try and spread the oil around and equalise wear.  I usually do this on a service as well.  It rotates easily by hand with the load off the suspension.  

Indeed it is. I also bounce up and down on the tow bar and front bumper and rock the car from side to side.

8 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Argh. I rather like it

PXL_20220827_120927221.thumb.jpg.5a3e5448b6a487243ffccb7277683b71.jpg

I have a feeling this is aluminium. As much as I'd like to polish it up, it'll go very furry very quickly, so it's best to paint it up. It's currently in primer awaiting a quick sanding before paint.

Got some more SGS welding gas today. 20l refill cost £73!
Think I may have to investigate CO2 soon.

Took the Focus now it's got fresh tyres on the back and I need to get moneys worth out of them. Actually quite enjoy driving it. A good steer that is easy to use. Just wished the air con worked.
I always strap the bottles in as they have a habit of flying around and smashing a boot to pieces. After a bit of searching I found the strap down points.
It's one thing about this car, everything Ford does seems built to a cheap price. I've never seen such a naff tie down point. Basically a metal rod tack welded to the body.
6f9dec6aa090ff00b1ab9bb598ec62f3.jpg

After getting gas we went to the local sea front to have lunch and an ice cream.
Spotted this nice looking VW.
0752a01933c17b2d7078effc9a121261.jpg

Then chilled out on the beach.
01f8b639dc0ca046471b22666ddf3e53.jpg
f58df4db1e0339b7ba6d2f7a418a9e2c.jpg

While led there, I had a rare chance to contemplate and gather thoughts. I think I'm about ready to sell my MG BGT soon. It won't be easy as after 5yrs I've got quite attached to the old crate. However I can't afford to keep it and can't justify spending to store it when I don't use it. It will be difficult seeing it go though and that thought of seeing it drive away is a hard one.

But if I want something else, something needs to go.

Also contemplating that I may sell the Boxster later next year too for similar reasons. I love driving it but less attachment so won't be quite as sad. I enjoy driving it but I fancy something different. No rush on that though and will probably get another summer out of it.

Mini minor ? 

Found this in the loft of my elderly neighbour16616423810558353299775584932654.thumb.jpg.83f807e3071d8b821c4b366ea188ab71.jpg

No manual unfortunately just the oiled paper envelope which I think came with the car bought for her 21st birthday by her father ..

She thinks it was a Morris Minor imported by her dad from Hong Kong in 1964 ...

In the bottom left corner of the envelope is AKD 1975 ,any idea what that is , possibly number plate ?

EDIT; AKD1975 is the part number for the envelope!!!🤔😣🤭

I've shown her the Morris paint colour charts from 1963 and she thinks it was a two door in a brown colour with a full white roof ? Similar to this.

1958413809_out-of-africa-blog-image-022.jpg.a79d2084ac6e0e940c956bbedd8a2b3b.jpg

Were Hong Kong export minors given white roof paint to reflect heat or was this available on UK cars ?

Any Morris Mini Minor experts around please ? 

TIA

16616427152772173094400839805320.jpg

Having said all that I am still trying to piece together a timeline of her strange life ...

Some or all of the information may be slightly wrong or totally wrong ....or totally correct

Smol run in the lacquer (annoyingly) managed to melt the base coat. Usually this means I've got to do it again. But I don't want to. Instead, I'm doing the right thing and splodging on some base with a Q tip and then some lacquer afterwards. I'm still doing some things properly though- the run was levelled with a razor blade and then blended with the rest of the panel 

PXL_20220828_121159824.jpg

Were UK market Minors supplied with white painted top and dreary colours for the main body or was it just an export thing 🤔🤔...

Also when did they drop the Minor bit from the Mini Minor as I've seen a photo of them with a lurid green mini that was at the earliest in 71 when they got married and I think they bought it new , it doesn't look too be an early Mini (pre 71) but it is a shitty quality picture 🤷‍♂️

Sorting out the wife’s grandmas house and the boxes and boxes of photos, mostly of people we have no idea the identity of. Naturally I was on the hunt for shite and found this negative of a Morris 1100.  I hankered after one of these years ago but even back in the 90s they were mostly terminally rotten. 

7BC91FE5-CC46-4DC0-B24A-9E8540852221.jpeg