The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

11 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Missus sister calls saying she has a flat tyre.. she not practical minded, missus says she would go and help her... ¹1 she trys to pump it up and checks for leaks... and that's when cut her hands on the exposed cords, so missus calls me and I talk her through it..

Missus comes home and I said what bout the other side... turns out it's exactly the same.. and yesterday she been up and down the motorway with her 2 daughters..

IMG-20220818-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20220818-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20220818-WA0008.jpg

Three words:

Two. Year. MOTs

😭

So in the last two days I had a “self levelling suspension fault” flash up on the E61. Sone research showed I’ve got rear air bags…fuck sake. It went away but then earlier today I noticed the OSR sagging but when I returned it had sorted itself. I was due to see family today so packed stuff in the boot and then popping out to the shop I hear the compressor going off and refusing to turn off. Turns out if a bag is leaking it’ll carry on running until it dies.

I managed to find the fuse for it and pull it so no dead battery. I will be replacing it for a shocks/springs conversion kit on the rear instead, fuck am I messing around doing air bags and stuff. 

29 minutes ago, Pat Earrings said:

So in the last two days I had a “self levelling suspension fault” flash up on the E61. Sone research showed I’ve got rear air bags…fuck sake. It went away but then earlier today I noticed the OSR sagging but when I returned it had sorted itself. I was due to see family today so packed stuff in the boot and then popping out to the shop I hear the compressor going off and refusing to turn off. Turns out if a bag is leaking it’ll carry on running until it dies.

I managed to find the fuse for it and pull it so no dead battery. I will be replacing it for a shocks/springs conversion kit on the rear instead, fuck am I messing around doing air bags and stuff. 

Air bags are nothing to be concerned about…every bus and coach on the road are running them and doing mega mileage. I’d think twice about changing to standard springs. Once replaced, it’ll be fine for many years to come.

37 minutes ago, Pat Earrings said:

It'll burn the compressor out if it doesn't drain the battery first, I've seen it before!

26 minutes ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Air bags are nothing to be concerned about…every bus and coach on the road are running them and doing mega mileage. I’d think twice about changing to standard springs. Once replaced, it’ll be fine for many years to come.

I did think that but apparently, it’s a common conversion on the E61 tourers to do. It’s just the cost I suppose but I’ll have to either get it looked at first before I decide which path to go down. Too many variables for me with the compressor and the shitty pipe that BMW made for it too.

EDIT: I should do better research. Bags are not expensive and appears easily doable myself. @NorthernMonkeymate I probably will just replace the bags then! Not as upset now 😂

Just now, wuvvum said:

I would suggest something with a floor.

Yes. 
I was switching the wheels for transport purposes, as I fetched them my dad went to jack the car up on the front jacking point. 
It slipped off the jack, displaced some cornflakes, and somehow popped the bonnet open. 

The bonnet didn't close flush after that, but everything was still in place. 

Something structural must have bent, that shell was toast. I'm glad I'm out of it with as much as I am. 

4 hours ago, stuboy said:

Missus sister calls saying she has a flat tyre.. she not practical minded, missus says she would go and help her... ¹1 she trys to pump it up and checks for leaks... and that's when cut her hands on the exposed cords, so missus calls me and I talk her through it..

Missus comes home and I said what bout the other side... turns out it's exactly the same.. and yesterday she been up and down the motorway with her 2 daughters..

IMG-20220818-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20220818-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20220818-WA0008.jpg

Plenty* of tread tho. Missus seems to know what she's doing.

4 minutes ago, Pat Earrings said:

what actually happened with it that ended up being a nightmare?

No outer sills, no floorpans - seatbelts weren't attached to anything, chassis rails lost integrity and bent when lowered onto an axle stand, no rear arches, tailgate was rotten, driver's door rotting from the inside, likely no inner sills, sunroof had rotted from the inside out, passenger door didn't lock/unlock on the key and the window didn't work, interior trim bits missing/damaged, filler and high build primer everywhere, dead distributor, seller stole a steering wheel from me, missing screws/clips everywhere... 

you get the idea. 

22 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

No outer sills, no floorpans - seatbelts weren't attached to anything, chassis rails lost integrity and bent when lowered onto an axle stand, no rear arches, tailgate was rotten, driver's door rotting from the inside, likely no inner sills, sunroof had rotted from the inside out, passenger door didn't lock/unlock on the key and the window didn't work, interior trim bits missing/damaged, filler and high build primer everywhere, dead distributor, seller stole a steering wheel from me, missing screws/clips everywhere... 

you get the idea. 

You did look at it before you bought it right Max?

I can't really take piss though as I've just bought this honey, when was the last time you saw a phase 1 Citroen ax gt? Deffo a 20 footer, she ain't pretty and it stinks inside.IMG_20220814_150215033.thumb.jpg.c8ecdc02c36836f3535043c8361d1dce.jpg

9 hours ago, Ghosty said:

you get the idea. 

5D0EA5FA-6A9B-412A-A3F6-E31F3AD56E67.gif

8 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Really?

Sounds like you glanced at it from 20 feet away rather than having an actual look at it.

It’s actually a good idea for a thread. I spent 20 minutes under a Mercedes 190 highlighting all the problems to myself, only to miss two fucking holes the size of my fist. 

No point either making someone feel stupid about it or Ghosty beating himself up. It’s all part of life’s rich tapestry.

8 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

It’s actually a good idea for a thread. I spent 20 minutes under a Mercedes 190 highlighting all the problems to myself, only to miss two fucking holes the size of my fist. 

No point either making someone feel stupid about it or Ghosty beating himself up. It’s all part of life’s rich tapestry.

Aye, rose tinted glasses and dodgy MOTs can hide a lot.

Like the spaceship civic I bought last summer with a fortnight of MOT but a spotless MOT history.

The rear axle was held in by hopes and dreams rather than actual metal. The car looked good from above, though.

Day 2 in Europe, day 3 of holidays. 

Tonight two nights in Prague and then onto Krakow. 

Reims is lovely. Classically French, home the coronation of French kings. Little or no French tat on the roads, Reims is a low emissions zone so it's probably killed off the last of the old XUD Peugeots driving here. 

20220818_104425.thumb.jpg.56f5fcf50588d8338d057e1ca88a4d7f.jpg

20220818_100542.thumb.jpg.9ff00ed90a856bbc1232fd4fa7e64d5f.jpg

20220818_100559.thumb.jpg.e3424309dbbf90ecee58d288ed849876.jpg

3 minutes ago, Spurious said:

Day 2 in Europe, day 3 of holidays. 

Tonight two nights in Prague and then onto Krakow. 

Reims is lovely. Classically French, home the coronation of French kings. Little or no French tat on the roads, Reims is a low emissions zone so it's probably killed off the last of the old XUD Peugeots driving here. 

20220818_104425.thumb.jpg.56f5fcf50588d8338d057e1ca88a4d7f.jpg

20220818_100542.thumb.jpg.9ff00ed90a856bbc1232fd4fa7e64d5f.jpg

20220818_100559.thumb.jpg.e3424309dbbf90ecee58d288ed849876.jpg

Quick dart past Strasbourg, into Germany and onto the effing fast Autobahns. Here's me doing 150km/h and there's still cars passing me like I'm sitting still. 

Lots of hyperaggressive Mercs and BMWs flashing everyone out of the way. So that 5 minutes down the road we can catch them again in the 80km/h roadwork zone. 

Quick pitstop in Stuttgart last night, darted into town just in time for a wine festival. Nice. Had to have a stein of local beverage however. Tasty. 

20220818_223044.thumb.jpg.d0f5ce1ed3a9d91e4d9571f72ab18b8a.jpg

20220818_233006.thumb.jpg.f6b63dc828dff081675f573f31bf3207.jpg

Just now, Spurious said:

Quick dart past Strasbourg, into Germany and onto the effing fast Autobahns. Here's me doing 150km/h and there's still cars passing me like I'm sitting still. 

Lots of hyperaggressive Mercs and BMWs flashing everyone out of the way. So that 5 minutes down the road we can catch them again in the 80km/h roadwork zone. 

Quick pitstop in Stuttgart last night, darted into town just in time for a wine festival. Nice. Had to have a stein of local beverage however. Tasty. 

20220818_223044.thumb.jpg.d0f5ce1ed3a9d91e4d9571f72ab18b8a.jpg

20220818_233006.thumb.jpg.f6b63dc828dff081675f573f31bf3207.jpg

And we are through Germany, almost. Not far from the Border with Czech. Onto Pilsen for tea and then Prague for two nights. 

Renault has performed flawlessly. Great comfort. Soaks up the miles. The little 1.5 donkey diesel is frugal as anything and geared low enough for sufficient pace on the Autobahn. 

Also. An indicated 70mpg. That's mostly motorway at 110km/h with Aircon and luggage. Mighty stuff. I've used a tank and a half since Oldham 🤣

20220819_131737.thumb.jpg.df2be158b111d7561e615f0a0e76b7cd.jpg

20220819_131127.thumb.jpg.77ebc2ec8f92164070f79b9e05840633.jpg

14 hours ago, Ghosty said:

you get the idea. 

But the glovebox was clean... perhaps?

Day 4 of V70 ownership. 

Everything appears to work well despite its 337,000 miles and I'm getting better mpgs than the book says I should (and I live in hilly windy-road country) and I'm getting 48-52 mpg depending on the journey. 

I expect as I do more work towing the trailer on short hops and as the temp gets lower that will reduce the efficiency but I'm over the moon so far. 

Put the good tyre on the back onto the front of the Focus yesterday. Both rear tyres are pretty skinny. Legal but only just.

Tried to get some part worns from my local scrappy but he had no 205/55/16 left. They're shutting up shop so not getting anymore. Other scrappy had some but at £20 each, I'm not sure if it's worth it. Tyre-shopper (national autocentre?) have ditch finders for £45 each fitted. Tempted to do that but didn't want to spend that much until it has a fresh MOT. That's 3 weeks away and I'm not sure I want to run skinny tyres for that long. Might just take a punt on new ditchfinders and that it'll pass it's next MOT without too much hassle.

Having a quick look around with the wheels off does appear to show that it's in reasonably decent condition. Boots not split and bushes don't look knackered. Pads and discs look new as well.
2610c9f82d61a009b8d08cc486be14e1.jpg
d2e00a720c905e6bffa642034c7df1e7.jpg
fc7d96c775afb45b82462f3bfeaf7add.jpg

Maybe I'll invest in some Autogreens (who?).