The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

27 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Fuck me Stu have a word with yourself, the stickers are fucking embarrassing, why the fuck would you have a joke about a vagina on your car? your kids get in that car don't they? poor bastards, Grow up man, its fucking tragic.

im saving up to get the bumpers paint soon as i can afford it so they only temporary

Finally got the Nissan sorted for going away cycling...... and just like that summers pretty much over. 

20220817_164040.thumb.jpg.30ae0f16b25a9d7aaccf8d034283ebc3.jpg

The whole thing has taken a lot longer and cost about twice as much as expected. Will get some time in over the next few weeks but not what I was planning.  

Might get a diesel heater for winter excursions to justify the cost. 

1 minute ago, Zelandeth said:

Assuming it's a diesel, that would be my guess.

Nein, the vehicle runs on petrol.

The general consensus is that the heavy rain I've driven through has given the engine bay a bit of a washing down and when I stopped on the driveway (which is inclined where the rainbow is), the water dripped off the undertrays/crossmemeber.

This is a tremendous 75, runs like a Swiss watch and is in great condition.

20220409_161056.thumb.jpg.5179f7573304e746e96c353ee87b6d29.jpg

But....

I've had 3 of them, all diesels and the noise is starting to annoy me. Someone I subscribe to on You Tube had just bought a V6 model and it sounds glorious. The way a 75 really should be. I have always felt that the diesel was only offered as an option because they kind of had to, to widen the appeal*.

I have also concluded that I prefer the looks of the MK1, obviously it's true to Richard Wooley's original sketches.

There is 0% chance I'm moving away from 75s, but I'm going to scout around for a V6 Connoisseur MK1 before reasonably sorted ones aren't £1500 any more. 

In the meantime I'll keep this one though, a remapped auto is probably the best setup for diesel.

11 hours ago, Justin Case said:

Indeed it was, well spotted :) Almost every other car in Dulverton is a Subaru, so it is good to see an independent garage thriving.

Subaru seem to be one of the few manufacturers that don’t require dealers to have large glass gin palaces. 
The dealers can therefore be smaller and more personal.

2 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Nein, the vehicle runs on petrol.

The general consensus is that the heavy rain I've driven through has given the engine bay a bit of a washing down and when I stopped on the driveway (which is inclined where the rainbow is), the water dripped off the undertrays/crossmemeber.

Hmm, yeah in that case pooled oil being washed out of the under tray etc would make sense.

Worth taking a peek under there though just in case you've got an undetected leak.  Better finding it now than in the middle of nowhere.

Volvo Estate in goes to the tip shock! 

DD099F5E-1BFB-4BE7-9DA5-D7C41158B237.jpeg

Still waiting for Flintshire county council to sort my trailer permit for the tip (should take no more than two weeks… this is week 4) , so thought I’d make a start anyway. Volvo swallowed all the broken furniture with ease.

Meanwhile in more ‘Flintshire county council are a bit shit really’ news: Behold the high quality* repair done to the road outside my house…
F5AE4C77-3277-4F5A-8CE8-420837C5F0C4.jpeg
9D7BCA7B-8BD5-4A37-AECF-E8C1394F781E.jpeg

Yes for reference that is another pot hole next to a repair which they’ve obviously deemed not deep enough to fill… there are many more like it. Utter crap. 

Edit: maybe I should have put this in the grumpy thread… 

1 minute ago, Zelandeth said:

Hmm, yeah in that case pooled oil being washed out of the under tray etc would make sense.

Worth taking a peek under there though just in case you've got an undetected leak.  Better finding it now than in the middle of nowhere.

I did check the fluid levels and they're all the same as they ever were. If it's anything my money is on a PAS leak as there's an advisory for a corroded PAS pipe.

17 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

But....

I've had 3 of them, all diesels and the noise is starting to annoy me. Someone I subscribe to on You Tube had just bought a V6 model and it sounds glorious. The way a 75 really should be. I have always felt that the diesel was only offered as an option because they kind of had to, to widen the appeal*.

I have also concluded that I prefer the looks of the MK1, obviously it's true to Richard Wooley's original sketches.

There is 0% chance I'm moving away from 75s, but I'm going to scout around for a V6 Connoisseur MK1 before reasonably sorted ones aren't £1500 any more. 

In the meantime I'll keep this one though, a remapped auto is probably the best setup for diesel.

Good man. You know it makes sense.

I've only ever had a V6 ZT-T and the sound was addictive. Not over the top like a V8 but smooth. MG might be a bit louder than the Rover (was a slightly bigger bore? I might have made that up). But it really is the only choice. 

Just now, Yoss said:

Good man. You know it makes sense.

I've only ever had a V6 ZT-T and the sound was addictive. Not over the top like a V8 but smooth. MG might be a bit louder than the Rover (was a slightly bigger bore? I might have made that up). But it really is the only choice. 

I'd love a V6 ZT saloon but prices have climbed in the last few years. I can't actually remember when I last saw one on the road now I think about it.

Just now, Split_Pin said:

I'd love a V6 ZT saloon but prices have climbed in the last few years. I can't actually remember when I last saw one on the road now I think about it.

I had this ten years ago. I have posted pictures of it before but not for a few years so I think I can get away with another one. 

DSC03347.thumb.JPG.266babd9e3ab1f9248d2e29c6b5dea4b.JPG

It wasn't nearly as good as it looks in the photo. It was an ex West Mids ambulance,  or rapid response vehicle. It had a cheap respray that was a good two shades darker than the original Trophy Yellow which was very apparent every time you opened the door.

Being ex ambulance though it was the absolute basest spec you could get but with the biggest engine, the 190, which was cool. I sold it for a pittance to a local Rover licker after five years with a slipping clutch and well into cambelt roulette territory. I check occasionally but I don't think it ever went back on the road. 

I see the original owner must have ticked the "Nutella coolant system" box when this fine vehicle rolled off the production line... 

Anyone want to have a go at guessing the car/engine? 

Photo cropped as it would give it away from the shape of the coolant bottle. Might still do for some, but meh. 

And no, it's not a Rover nora K-Series to address any suspected irony from above posts...!

1584415384_IMG_20220817_1348192.thumb.jpg.1c8e6e12060795022f3743d990d0ae1b.jpg

148524405_IMG_20220817_1348272.thumb.jpg.87123560a0b66e4b36c7a92ac2a5d986.jpg

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

But....

The 2.5v6 is one of the most beautiful sounding six cylinder engines I’ve enjoyed. It’s not hyped, not exaggerated, but pure sonic excellence. It’ll also do 30 odd to the gallon and whilst Petrol is cheaper, there’s no reason not to. 

13 hours ago, Jenson Velcro said:

Subaru seem to be one of the few manufacturers that don’t require dealers to have large glass gin palaces. 
The dealers can therefore be smaller and more personal.

Interesting, that. My local Subaru place is a small brick unit with not a WRX or STI in sight. At least, not the car anyway. 

On the subject of Rover 75s, I drove mine to the office today.  It's the last ever day in this office and it's also the fourth anniversary of me buying the car.  It's quite unusual for me to keep a "modern" daily for that long, but I do love the old crate, even with the various niggles it's had (and continues to have).  It's only ever FTP'd once in the time I've had it, and that was my fault for jet washing the ECU.

12 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

The 2.5v6 is one of the most beautiful sounding six cylinder engines I’ve enjoyed. It’s not hyped, not exaggerated, but pure sonic excellence. It’ll also do 30 odd to the gallon and whilst Petrol is cheaper, there’s no reason not to. 

I had one in a silver ZT 190+ saloon - it sounded brilliant and went pretty well too. 75/ZTs are very underrated cars.

15 hours ago, brownnova said:

Meanwhile in more ‘Flintshire county council are a bit shit really’ news: Behold the high quality* repair done to the road outside my house…
F5AE4C77-3277-4F5A-8CE8-420837C5F0C4.jpeg
9D7BCA7B-8BD5-4A37-AECF-E8C1394F781E.jpeg

Yes for reference that is another pot hole next to a repair which they’ve obviously deemed not deep enough to fill… there are many more like it. Utter crap. 

I wish the road repairs were that good around my way.

Just been out for a quick drive in the x1/9 to check the new rubber. Seems fine, good grip in the dry and overtook a dawdling Porsche that pulled out of the grosvenor ( ex lion) in lavister and weaved about the road at 30mph ( drunk I assume ). £210 well spent on the Toyos I think.

Missus sister calls saying she has a flat tyre.. she not practical minded, missus says she would go and help her... ¹1 she trys to pump it up and checks for leaks... and that's when cut her hands on the exposed cords, so missus calls me and I talk her through it..

Missus comes home and I said what bout the other side... turns out it's exactly the same.. and yesterday she been up and down the motorway with her 2 daughters..

IMG-20220818-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20220818-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20220818-WA0008.jpg