The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Moving on from outlandish ideas about superchargers...

Over the last little while I've been thinking about what I can do to revisit a failed project that I was really enthusiastic about.

I've been pricing up the parts I know I'd need.

It's doable and would be well worth the money.

Keep an eye on the car boot section for when I sell all of my worldly possessions to pay for it.

1 hour ago, MrGTI6 said:

Had a very odd interaction at Cobham services this afternoon.

I was walking back to my car and heard someone saying "I need to borrow your phone". I didn't think it was aimed at me and didn't think anything of it. The guy then repeated his abrupt statement, so I turned round and asked him why.

Cue some nonsense about how he needed to create an account/password for a website in order to recharge his electric car. Apparently the battery died on his phone and he needed to login to his email address and wanted to use my mobile to do it. 

Sounded dodgy and I declined. The chap wouldn't take "no" for an answer. Perhaps it was an entirely innocent request, but something about him just didn't seem right. Eventually I just pointed to the building and said that there were plenty of other people he could ask and that he was wasting his time asking me. I actually had to tell him to move so I could shut my door.

If he was polite and courteous I might have obliged, but the more I think of it the more I feel like it was some sort of scam. Is this something anyone else has encountered? 

Only even slightly probably if Cobham has IONITY chargers - which are a pain in the arse and require an app / the use of their website (or a partner RFID card) to start.  

Even then, faced with a dead phone anyone reasonable would just wait to use the Gridserve chargers which take contactless. 

6 minutes ago, reb said:

And what makes you think I can't afford it?

Don't feed the troll, every time you quote the twat I can see what he's written despite him not having made 5 posts before making my ignore list.    It'd be ace if he could just fuck off, but so long as folk keep engaging with him..

Ok back on track

I have always had great trouble with punctuation, 

I would write and then have to go back over and put capitals,  punctuation etc. 

It's not been a problem elsewhere on "throw a way comments" on forums. 

I honestly have never seen it cause such an issue.

Twin charging,  VNT I know a little about and TFSI diverters instead of dump valves. 

However,  what ecu to cope with map, extra sensors and EGT sensors. 

Sounds like massive project and development testing. 

3 minutes ago, SH1TE said:

Sounds like massive project and development testing. 

It would be a relatively large project, yes, which is why it's hypothetical. My actual project is a DW10 in a 205. Started it in 2019 but personal things got in the way in a big way. I don't post about it much because the work I'm doing right now is ancillary to the swap, just getting it roadworthy. It will have ~130hp initially, rising to somewhere north of 150hp once everything is dialled in. It will be downright dangerous to drive and will cost me lots of money I could spend on cigarettes or something, but such is life.

4 minutes ago, reb said:

It would be a relatively large project, yes, which is why it's hypothetical. My actual project is a DW10 in a 205. Started it in 2019 but personal things got in the way in a big way. I don't post about it much because the work I'm doing right now is ancillary to the swap, just getting it roadworthy. It will have ~130hp initially, rising to somewhere north of 150hp once everything is dialled in. It will be downright dangerous to drive and will cost me lots of money I could spend on cigarettes or something, but such is life.

Sounds interesting,  but surely more power than 150hp and is that crank or WHP? 

What are the limits of stock internals?  3-400nm?

4 minutes ago, SH1TE said:

Sounds interesting,  but surely more power than 150hp and is that crank or WHP? 

What are the limits of stock internals?  3-400nm?

I think 150 from a 2.0 common rail diesel released in the 90s isn't too bad. Highest verified power on standard internals I've seen is 196, I could probably get it to that but it would require me to take the car many miles to get a custom map done. I'm not sure I could put that power down with relatively narrow 14s, and I probably shouldn't be trusted with it anyway.

Not sure on the limits of the internals, there is a couple of mini tractor pulling rigs running nearly 500hp and lol torque but they're using a lot of custom parts and a 16v head. I don't think a 16v head will fit comfortably in a 205 and you can get most of the flow improvement it offers with a bit of porting.

4 minutes ago, reb said:

I think 150 from a 2.0 common rail diesel released in the 90s isn't too bad. Highest verified power on standard internals I've seen is 196, I could probably get it to that but it would require me to take the car many miles to get a custom map done. I'm not sure I could put that power down with relatively narrow 14s, and I probably shouldn't be trusted with it anyway.

Not sure on the limits of the internals, there is a couple of mini tractor pulling rigs running nearly 500hp and lol torque but they're using a lot of custom parts and a 16v head. I don't think a 16v head will fit comfortably in a 205 and you can get most of the flow improvement it offers with a bit of porting.

Hp isn't the be all and end all-torque is your friend.  

How are  you fabricating the manifold? 

Just now, SH1TE said:

How are  you fabricating the manifold? 

I'm using the standard turbo to begin with, that'll get me to 150 with an intercooler, so I won't need a custom manifold. Once it's been running like that for a while I may do a gearbox mounted VNT turbo, for which I will pay someone who's done it before to build me a manifold. I'd like to get a tig welder so I can do it myself but realistically I'm cheaper just paying for it.

13 minutes ago, reb said:

I'm using the standard turbo to begin with, that'll get me to 150 with an intercooler, so I won't need a custom manifold. Once it's been running like that for a while I may do a gearbox mounted VNT turbo, for which I will pay someone who's done it before to build me a manifold. I'd like to get a tig welder so I can do it myself but realistically I'm cheaper just paying for it.

Fair enough, thin ply mock up could save development costs perhaps. 

Sounds interesting plan

Things I had forgotten I rediscovered today:

Plusgas tastes absolutely foul and the taste takes forever to get rid of.

Straw came off the can and resulted in me getting a face full of it rather than what I was aiming at.  Thankfully I had my sunglasses on or it would have been in my eyes too and I remember that stinging like hell.

11 minutes ago, gm said:

how much to buy it back and stick a cheap ebay cat on ?

Needs a bit more than the Cat.

Exhaust manifold, middle box, both 02 sensors, new wiring.

The Mrs is quite ill at the mo, so I want least amount of hassle possible.

Going to take the cash.

9 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Needs a bit more than the Cat.

Exhaust manifold, middle box, both 02 sensors, new wiring.

The Mrs is quite ill at the mo, so I want least amount of hassle possible.

Going to take the cash.

i don’t blame you, i would do the same. hope you find something nice to replace it that will cheer her up 

28 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

Could be worse,on a Mk1 Focus you've got to remove the nearside wing🙄

blimey. New Edge, new issues. I guess the 'reach around' method (oo err missus) might work on the i10, depends if it is completely boxed in.

Good holiday the last couple of weeks 🙂 Highlight was visiting a delightful small town on the edge of Exmoor which boasted a proper traditional Subaru garage with not only an immaculate 55 reg Legacy for sale,  which I was tempted by, but a matching pair of red Daihatsu Sirions as courtesy cars (one even had a private plate the other was about 10 reg) This must be unique, I only wish I had my camera with me.  Any other courtesy cars to rival this?

4 hours ago, egg said:

I think the screen wash pump has gone on our i10, first issue we've had.

Anyway, first step - remove front bumper...

FFS! All modernz!

If it's anything like the i30, you can just pull back the o/s arch liner and pull the motor out of the bottle, clean the rubber gauze (which might just be your problem), pull off the pipes and fit a new one!  20 mins.

2 minutes ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

If it's anything like the i30, you can just pull back the o/s arch liner and pull the motor out of the bottle, clean the rubber gauze (which might just be your problem), pull off the pipes and fit a new one!  20 mins.

thanks that sounds pretty plausible, apart from the 20 mins bit ;-)!