The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

32 minutes ago, Wack said:

Salesman with his hands on his head 

Customer, thanks for the test drive but I think I'll leave it 😄

Only one in the country apparently M4 CSL , 10 destined for the UK , one a cat S already 

All the emogis are applicable here i think. 

So further to Wifey's FTP last night, 

The oil leak it has had for ever has corroded the fan belt and it pinged off as she was arriving to work. 

Last night before driving she saw this

IMG-20220804-WA0001.thumb.jpg.0624f56e8cd943582cc0b8f88fd12a6c.jpgIMG-20220804-WA0002.thumb.jpg.7df9c5705fc00d18b28ba7ffc6f11cd9.jpg

And was told by the security who allegedly used to be a mechanic that it was nothing but debris caught on her axle. 

She made it an hour out of her one-and-a-quarter hour commute home before getting stranded on a busy roundabout. Managed to kangaroo the car off the roundabout with the very unhappy car into a car park and Autoaid came to tow.

So an unscheduled day off today and an easy fix, but we are going to have to sort the oil leak!

I keep meaning to mention the retired brain surgeon who lives in the next village. I suspect that he used to experiment on his first wife who was absolutely crackers.  He owns a Bentley Continental Coupé, a Maserati Quattroporte and a Piaggio Ape which he is generally seen pottering about in. I was amongst a long procession of cars following him the other day, when he pulled over to let everyone past by hiding the Ape behind a couple of cones that had been left in the road. It is incredibly slow & looks dreadfully fragile.

I've just been told the bearing has been replaced and the towbar removed on the Volvo. I went posh and bought an SKF bearing

PXL_20220728_201402069.thumb.jpg.d1f8c9869abd6333e23c143449aae540.jpg

It's a heavy old thing. The mechanics reckon the clunk when turning the wheel when stationary is a "top link". Hopefully I can find this out when I'm back in the country next weekend.

12 hours ago, Fumbler said:

I've just been told the bearing has been replaced and the towbar removed on the Volvo. I went posh and bought an SKF bearing

It's a heavy old thing. The mechanics reckon the clunk when turning the wheel when stationary is a "top link". Hopefully I can find this out when I'm back in the country next weekend.

Top link, eh. The strut top mounts can rust through on these cars, worth checking while you're in about the wheel bearing and can see the top of the strut from the inside. 

1 hour ago, Stevebrookman said:

Mot passed again for my Range Rover. Had it nearly 16 years now. Calipers and backplates need cleaning up-quite rusty. Also found out why air con stopped working-the drier is rusted through.

rrr1.JPG

These have aged just as well as the previous generation. Handsome indeed.

2 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Top link, eh. The strut top mounts can rust through on these cars, worth checking while you're in about the wheel bearing and can see the top of the strut from the inside. 

Strut tops look alright. The original suspicion is that the offside thrust bearing is creaking as that strut is original to the car. I'll have another look once home. 

New steering wheel (to replace old, scabby one) procured but yet to be fitted, new Falken tyres fitted at Abbotsinch in Killie, new wiper blades awaiting fitment and a known good MAP sensor from a 2005 Fabia is also waiting to be fitted.