The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, Austat said:

How did you do those Facebook photo searches?

just type in the reg number in the same box you would type in a name to search for someone.  when you press search there then should be boxes at the top which say people,groups, photo etc

Screenshot_20220716-073517_Chrome.jpg

I got my engine crane shifted to my mothers house and then got some ropes attached to the jag engine and moved it away from where it had been sitting next to the wall. Despite being a big engine it was an easy lift due to the cylinders being vertical so sits nicely balanced. The engines I have found awkward to lift in the past are the straight 4s or straight 5’s where the cylinders are banked well over to one side making the whole thing an unstable mess.

IMG_2707.thumb.JPG.7d09854ade6eefcc984a28d329a7ab79.JPG

I couldn’t find any engine number but helpfully jaguar have cast “3 1/2 litre” on the block. I was expecting it to be a smaller capacity as I have a mk2 jag grill with a 2.5 litre badge on it hanging on my garage wall.

I also looked out all the ancillaries I could find to go with it and got them photographed in the sunshine.

IMG_2712.thumb.JPG.7bc653e0d4506e87f386581d653f8d9d.JPG

Next week I’ll brave gumtree. Hopefully jag parts should attract a better class of buyer who can communicate in coherent sentences but with gumtree you never know.

Extreme weather calls for extreme measures.

Seeing as I will not be venturing out at all today and the car is parked in direct sunlight, I’ve taken a leaf out of the Mediterranean way and covered the dash in blanket. Also did the same with the interior leather as I don’t want it melting. Yes they are bedsheets that you can see there too.  

FCFC77E3-DDA4-4105-ADC9-71699DB91B1A.jpeg

Well I didn't think it was going to happen, but its just been picked up by @worldofceri

Edit: Just re-read that and my concern was nothing to do with Ceri who was as professional as always.  Just that I spotted car on another forum for a very low price, so was not going to accept I'd bought the car until it had been collected.

942967067_Saab900.thumb.jpg.74a307f8a207372f7162fb3c2487865b.jpg

Now got to focus on selling the Merc to create space.

13 hours ago, stuboy said:

My knob was worn and tatty [insert sniggering] I wanted a nice one but everything was ST emblemed so stuff u all know I like a giggle so got a glo in the dark knob...

20220717_115040.jpg

Is that in the Mondeo?

If so, those V6 Mondeos are 6 speeds. My one was, anyway.

I reckon I got my money's worth out of that.

IMAG6439.thumb.jpg.05e5d6ae2174fa7c64cb0dac2f86d970.jpg

I had to do *something* other than hiding indoors so chanced a very quick bit of shade spannering and got the rear drum off the Princess.  The brake hose I need to replace is, predictably, refusing to budge so I've doused that in penetrating fluid in the meantime.  I've never had a shoe wear down that badly before, so something was definitely amiss in here.  I should have looked in sooner, I've had 'brakes imbalanced across rear axle' for a while now but since the car has always been like that, even after putting new hardware in a few years ago, I just put it down to being a Princess thing.  Maybe it still is.

Anyway, the real reason I think for this excessive wear is that the retaining washer for the front shoe is completely gone.  I don't know where it's gone, it's just not there any more.  That means the front shoe can move about in the drum and it makes exactly the knocking noise I heard when I moved the car.

IMAG6438.thumb.jpg.45a5fdcf867187b3e2666da265a168ac.jpg

The problem now is I have no spare hardware, and I cannot find a rear drum hardware kit.  The springs are dirty (they are inside a drum after all) but seem otherwise fine so should be re-usable.  Hopefully I can just get replacement retaining washers, fit the new shoes I do have in stock, and not find any similar horrors on the other side when that comes apart.

EDIT:  ANG do retaining washers with associated springs and pins for an MG B that look if not identical, then at least very similar, and they're not hilariously overpriced.  At least the stuff I've bought from ANG in the past has always been decent quality.

30 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

EDIT:  ANG do retaining washers with associated springs and pins for an MG B that look if not identical, then at least very similar, and they're not hilariously overpriced.  At least the stuff I've bought from ANG in the past has always been decent quality.

It might be a good idea to check the length of the new retaining pins before buying the kit. I bought a new spring set supposedly suitable for our Maxi and the pins were about 5mm too short. The rest of the kit was OK but I had to reuse the old pins, which fortunately were in reasonable condition.

@Slowsilver since it's just the washers I need - the springs and pins seem like they'll go another round yet, though I'd prefer to put new ones in if I could find any - that's not too much of a concern at least.  Providing the washers are the correct diameter.

@SiC that's the plan.  No point trying to save the hose since it's going in the bin.

46 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

32 degrees here in Noocassle. How's everyone else ? Sweatsville ?

32 here in the highlands of North Wales. Loving it!

I managed 3 hrs work this morning then gave up, spent most of the afternoon on a hammock. 

You could almost play rugby with these petrol cans 

20220718_160120.jpg

20220718_160114.jpg