The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Today I completed my bi-annual shite rearrangement. The Volvo came out of its winter slumber (a few months late, but “life”) and the Visa was pushed inside. I actually managed to do some more work on the Volvo, bolting the steering box back in properly and adding even more fixing to the front wings to replace missing    bolts. 

Unfortunately for the Visa the front numberplate that had been stored on the passenger seat has melted in the summer heat! FFS! It’s literally never been on the road. I might put it in the oven on a low heat with something to hold it down. Bastard thing. 

19AD781B-A7A4-451B-8326-22186C792E0F.jpeg

D6F8A2FB-7180-42B3-81B4-152968B49547.jpeg

52C4D11B-62C7-4522-A798-6BD2D8EC33E8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

Today I completed my bi-annual shite rearrangement. The Volvo came out of its winter slumber (a few months late, but “life”) and the Visa was pushed inside. I actually managed to do some more work on the Volvo, bolting the steering box back in properly and adding even more fixing to the front wings to replace missing    bolts. 

Unfortunately for the Visa the front numberplate that had been stored on the passenger seat has melted in the summer heat! FFS! It’s literally never been on the road. I might put it in the oven on a low heat with something to hold it down. Bastard thing. 

hnnng volvo - serck plate for visa obvs :)

The main fleet news this weekend is that the Mobylette is now road registered, after almost 25 years in storage.  The V5C arrived on Friday, I got a number plate made up on Saturday, then put everything back together (which involved some dismantling first - when I took the drive belt off I slung it on the handlebar, and I've since fitted a new front brake cable around the belt so I couldn't get it off :oops:).  Then I tipped in a litre of fresh petrol with 40ml of two-stroke oil and a capful of ethanol stabiliser.  After a bit of kicking (it hadn't run for months) it fired up. 

All excited about my first proper ride on it in 25 years, I got my helmet and jacket on and set off, but it quickly became apparent that all was not well.  Turns out the head gasket has gone, and it's chuffing quite badly from the join on the left hand side of the engine.  It was still running though, although it wouldn't idle, so I jumped on anyway and set off.  It's well down on power, as you'd expect given that it's losing compression, and also the throttle isn't opening fully, but it'd still just about struggle up to 30 which was enough for a potter round the local area - I even ventured out a little way up the B-road towards the coast, although I didn't go too far just in case it broke down.

20220709_161915.thumb.jpg.c1f33801027209f62f4ceed7fb9f64aa.jpg

So it wasn't quite as planned, but I still got to ride it which made me happy.  It's back in the garage now until I can get it sorted - a new head gasket is £3.29 but it's going to be a bit of a faff to fix.  It also needs a new exhaust gasket.  Once it'll idle properly again I can then start sorting out the wiring - at the moment the only thing that works is the brake light.  The variator is changing up as it should, which is good - I'd half expected it to be stuck given that it hasn't really had to change up from the lowest ratio in quarter of a century.

The new air filter for the Innocenti turned up on Saturday afternoon, so I fitted that and gave things a good blast out with carb cleaner while I was there.  It's running a bit smoother now but it's still not 100% - I really need to take it for a good long run and see if that sorts it.  It definitely needed the air filter though - the old one was a bit* manky.

20220709_182920.thumb.jpg.02104a58739744250bf3518d79383a4b.jpg

First job today was to have a crack at doing the brake pads on the Renault 6.  I'd been putting this off for ages because it looked like it'd be a twat of a job (the caliper design is possibly best described as French) and neither the HBOL nor the genuine Renault manual made it particularly clear how things went together, but last night I read both in conjunction with each other and it finally clicked how it all went together.  And it turned out to be a piece of piss to do the pads - probably easier in fact than a "normal" caliper.  The piston took a fair bit of force to wind back in, but then it was almost fully out as the pads were nearly down to the metal and the disc is nearly on the limit as well.  The pads popped in easily and everything went back together, with a nice coating of either copper or rubber grease on the moving bits.

20220710_164421.thumb.jpg.c02684ada0d454af2d43104596d733b4.jpg

Annoyingly it's still sticking a bit, although not as bad as it was.  I think I'm going to have to take the caliper off again and give the piston a proper clean.  I also spotted while I was in there that the CV boot has split quite badly, so I'm going to need to do that as well before I take it on any long runs.

I'd been planning to get loads done today but perhaps due to the heat I really couldn't be arsed.  The only other job I managed to get done was giving the XF an oil and filter change - the oil wasn't particularly old but I think it'd got a bit of diesel in it from when the previous giffer owner had just been using it to potter to the post office and back and it hadn't been regenerating properly.  I've used a mixture of Castrol GTX and Tesco own brand, but it's all the same stuff really.  I also tipped in a bottle of valve lifter treatment to see if that'll quieten the tapping from the top end - usually it takes a few miles to start working so I'll take it for a run in the week and see what happens.

On Saturday night I drove the Doblo to a mate's and swapped it for my old Dodge Caliber that he's been running around in since I got rid of it last year.  It's still as shite as I remember it, but it's a lot quicker than the van and it has working aircon and cruise control so I might run around in it for a while.  It's going to need a pair of drop links on the front, but my mate replaced the rear subframe at the last MOT so that should be good for a while yet.  I do like the look of it for some reason...

20220710_193633.thumb.jpg.a23dca0072646ffeb9ab628ce456dbe8.jpg

On 7/8/2022 at 12:11 AM, RoverFolkUs said:

If they do work fine that way I dare say the door lock actuators are fine and it's likely something to do with the central locking module in the driver's door. I seem to vaguely recall that being a common issue on 7th gen civics 🤔

Sorry for the late quote, thank you!!!!

This is away to see @GingerNuttz for some much needed sill and arch action.

IMG_20220710_175831314.thumb.jpg.3ccefbaf1d9058e7d92074b39b4bd6c3.jpg

The Renault Sport models have plastic sill covers that trap the dirt and moisture, happily rotting the sills and rear quarters.

After 21 years, this was overdue replacement.

IMG_20220710_144308081.thumb.jpg.8dbe4eb07270c09ae5c3c803b4f54774.jpgIMG_20220710_144820564.thumb.jpg.66be022eabb003cbc2c7b207ba1c2675.jpg

the non sport cars don't have these covers, and most have perfect sills..

13 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Nice Volvo, and that Visa is HOT! Clearly, it melted the plate. 

A nice weekend, driving the non air conditioned car, but that’s not an issue. Even managed to get the premium spot when out for lunch yesterday.

However, one of the front wheels is more dusty than the other. I did front brakes last weekend on it, and fitted two euronobheads specials since I needed them right away. (They still haven’t given me back the surcharge but that’s for another time)

Lifted up, the offside wheel didn’t spin as nicely as the nearside. Pumped the brakes a couple of times and opened the bleeder to check the flexi hose hadn’t internally collapsed.

Quick off with the wheel and caliper, and it looks that whoever ‘remanufactured’ hadn’t seated the dust seal quite right. I should have noticed it. Got that pressed down and it’s better, but after a drive today the offside is still a little warmer than nearside. I’ll probably get on the case with ENH and see what they can do to put a lovely* fresh* new* one in my hands. Oh, and give me the surcharge back!

97F03BB9-ECF7-4BF7-8C87-7D11AA8D46CB.jpeg

DBF2CC67-CBEF-4BD2-A3B6-5A1A56F76F3D.jpeg

Took the Fab on a trip to Carlisle via many other places yesterday. Wheel balancing works miracles, am telling yous. Smooth as butter... in a relative sense.

Have discovered that the car definitely is going to need rear shock absorbers as it bounces like hell and irritates me greatly. Also variably slow as shit until restarted. I'll leave that for my thread of nonsense, though.

Here it is, when the four of us made it to Carlisle in mostly one piece. The car only tried to kill us twice. I'm under strict instruction to get it to fuck apparently. 🤣

20220710_150919.thumb.jpg.026e89af88ead192ae401400dfe73667.jpg

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

Bit of bodywork going on in the police compound tonight 

Screenshot_20220711-104228.thumb.png.8d636b675a1cd282e4e7a460d26d0708.png

I nearly creamed a Police BMW X thingy whilst on blue lights in my ambulance once. 

I had the green light, so technically the right of way. He came thundering through a side junction also on Blues, we nearly came into contact. 

Stood on the anchors, you'd be surprised how well 5 ton of Fiat stops. He stopped,  looked a bit sheepish and we waved and carried on our way. 

It's rare, but I can see how easy this can happen. You don't hear other sirens when you're driving with them on yourself.... 

The other day I was trying to fix a rattle on the Laguna which was traced to the plastic shroud that goes around the rear view mirror. I took it off and stuck a blob of blu tak behind it to try and prevent it from moving. Pushing it back into place and guess what happened? A few messages to the insurers and £100 later Autoglass we’re booked to replace the screen. I wasn’t too upset as the screen was chipped to buggery and would’ve needed replacement soon anyway. 

The nice man turned up, replaced the screen and even gave me some double sided tabs to stick the quarter light latches back onto the 145. These came adrift years ago and as a result the windows are free to flap around, if they drop out or are lost they’re practically irreplaceable although Kieron the Autoglass guy recons they could find some, having sourced and fitted a side window to a 1930s Roller recently.

Keiron had never heard of a Volvo 145, or even a 240. He told me he wasn’t born until 1993 which made me feel absolutely ancient.  

With the catches stuck back on I then reattached the Visas rear view mirror, all minor victories but all steps in the right direction! 

7657AB35-0404-4FF8-AF24-B0D5BAE072BB.jpeg

F1EA7E1B-2145-44BA-8036-27969C853DA1.jpeg

2E9878D7-7616-4174-8A8E-19A7D72D222B.jpeg

91A06D0E-4F54-4730-A8C4-A7FF12515123.jpeg

96F33597-ABB0-4EF1-8133-6D37BAFC9FF8.jpeg

E3E52895-F17A-4D64-A2CA-7AA6C0BFEB30.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

The nice man turned up, replaced the screen and even gave me some double sided tabs to stick the quarter light latches back onto the 145.

He didn't give you any spares did he by any chance?  I need a couple for the (front) quarterlights on the 164.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

He didn't give you any spares did he by any chance?  I need a couple for the (front) quarterlights on the 164.

I had two left, along with a single “blade” that’s used to scrape old glue from the glass. I’ve just chucked them in the post to you. 

936EDA4D-3551-4667-8FF7-CAA25FBCE927.thumb.jpeg.5f70a275f77943896e85bdcaa24422ac.jpeg

hot weather has highlighted the cl500’s partly crippled cooling system. Doesnt overheat but the the cooling fan doesn’t operate and when  hot the top hose to radiator leaks badly. It’s got a joint where the rubber hose is attached to a plastic coupler with a clasp that holds it against the radiator stub. hard to tell if it’s the joint or a crack in the rad itself that’s the cause. 

My brother in law is a photographer, mainly for cycling magazines but he took a lot of great family photos over the weekend down in Stockton. I didn't realise he'd snapped the Saab. I wish I'd kept the mirrors out though!

IMG-20220712-WA0000.thumb.jpg.9273c05bc0a8840444d0fdcf36957b28.jpg

A handsome beast for what I still think of as quite a modern car. I had a shot of a Hyundai Kona EV and a BMW 6 series twin turbo diesel, both of which were achingly fast but I'm not kidding myself when I say I prefer this to both of them. I suppose I 'get' the Saab thing after 8 months and 2 of the things!

Don't let anyone tell you running American cars in the UK is impractical.

Both fit a standard drive fine

20220712_092854.jpg

Now the Roadmaster has a full MOT I've been using it as a daily in preference to the X3. i brimmed the tank, did 100 miles and then brimmed it again. The result was just over 14mpg which I thought was a bit low but I'm pretty sure the driver's side rear brakes are dragging as the wheel gets hot. 

It doesn't help that the loon in me likes to bury the throttle to hear the V8. The exhaust is far too quiet for my liking so it'll be getting a new system soon.