The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

28 minutes ago, Back_For_More said:

I'll be visiting this as the only advertising they've done is using car bonnets of various types! 

Question too - isn't this one an MG? I think it's glass..... Will check tomorrow. Shout if it's interesting to anyone 

IMG_20220708_195944.thumb.jpg.0ef8ab4719eb176dd8d718f4b69347db.jpg

The front corner backs up the MG guess - doesn't it? 

IMG_20220708_200004.thumb.jpg.0ecf88496cc40f4a1dfc8427af70d9b5.jpg

Yes, Midget.  It must be glass, because not rusty!

2 hours ago, aldo135 said:

Went with the kids to visit the recently voted best beach in Britain only to discover that @Jim Bellhad taken us here 3 years ago when I won his Bini Cooper thanks to @Tickman😊.  “Your Uncle Ben bought you an ice cream here” “Nah dad he makes the rice” is a conversation that didn’t happen (only in my head) I think the sun has got to me 🙈😂

BA47B07E-1F0D-4E03-A766-BE9625342FA5.jpeg

2937976C-036B-43D0-84BF-52214A1D35D5.jpeg

Ah man, you should have given me a shout. I could have got the ice creams in!

2 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

Stanley Bridges, must be late 50s early 60s.  There was a matching compressor, which you attached to your electric drill.  Happy days when you could respray your car out on the driveway with one of these.   www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294795435519?_

Or vacuum cleaner in reverse? My dad sprayed stuff (not cars) like that. Inline Hoover, iirc

2 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Doesn't that normally happen when you ADD one to the fleet? 

Usually yes, the current welding job has been queued  for 9 months.  As soon the mustang is glued back together  consideration will be given to another. The GF has already said positive things about Triumph stags and Mk1 Granadas, so theres a whole world of grief,  welding, heartache  and financial ruin ever ready.

Out car shopping today with the Mrs with quite the selection to hunt down and try for size. 

She suffers from fibromyalgia and so wants a car with a seat she can just slide into.

The ML has proven to be to high,and the torsion bar suspension makes for a wallowy ride.

Short list was a Nissan Murano.Seat was to hard and the boot floor was way to high

Chevy Captiva.Build quality on par with a biscuit tin.

Bmw X3 was in with a shout but then we stumbled upon a VW Touareg with the 5.0 V10 engine.

She's now retired to the bedroom to research the feck out of it but it's sounding promising. 

The only car we want to try but haven’t found local is a Subaru Legacy Outback in 3.0 flavour as she does love her scoobies. 

So,we shall see what comes along .

The trusty ex @BorniteIdentity Avensis SR continues to make its way around Europe in the hands of Miss SL and her BF. Must've done around 3,000 miles now since leaving a fortnight ago.

DTD11.thumb.jpg.7152c5be821c2b575e994c082c56b797.jpg

Yesterday's journey took them from Turin to the Ardeche. A relief to know they're just in the nextdoor country now.

Bit of a shame they didn't take the scenic route via Briancon and Gap. The 50 Euro fee for using the Frejus Tunnel came as a bit of a shock to them.......

They visited the old Lingotto Fiat factory in Turin and a big car museum nearby. They seem to be heeding the instruction to get photos for me, I look forward to seeing the results:

DTD12.thumb.jpg.233be0f92b3fced1bb90b05018b00d1b.jpg

They're now camping. Amusingly they've got the same dome tent, cooker, table, plates and even forks that we were using in 1996, so the photos they've sent us look eerily like those we took ourselves 25+ years ago. Indeed, there's a possibility they've ended up at the same campsite alongside the Ardeche that we once stayed in. Back then we were in an Acclaim, so they haven't quite managed that aspect of it, but even with the Avensis it does have a rather period look to the scene.

It seems 320 bhp and 550 lbs/ft make for a very spirited drive if you want it.

However the owners I have spoken with with say the sheer amount of torks and a "sensible" autobox can regularly give 25mpg or more.

Anything on petrol will be converted to lpg if it isn't already as even though the price has nearly doubled,it still costs around 70 ppl.

Most 3.0 Legacies have bi-fuel from the factory as a lot are imported from Switzerland or Italy.

And the Hyundai Tucson looks like another contender now.....

I hate electrics.

Trying to install a new starter in the Toledo as I didn't trust the old one. It was always sticking. 

PXL_20220705_190502708.thumb.jpg.afb6e6be4c7a0c90c99f562a7099cff1.jpg

I've hooked the black cable to the battery connection on the starter as it's the main 12v feed. 

I've hooked the starter ignition feed (white/red cable) to the starter. If I stick the multimeter on the starter feed and try to start I'm getting 11.2v. 

992472722_PXL_20220709_1728202522.thumb.jpg.7c199a461ab08c7ac330b1c8c45b1d98.jpg

I also have another red cable but I've no idea what it does is it a bypass?

Old starter wiring

PXL_20220703_114342515_MP.thumb.jpg.0782b9778b20a7943b12290abd716e97.jpg

New starter (yeah I know the spades are terrible, I will replace them)

PXL_20220709_180944042.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.ff91f5da8aa04ded5187ec9b09e497f7.jpg

With only the black cable and white/red  hooked up and connected it was spinning at first for 3 quick goes to test and now it isn't. 

Red cable seems to do nowt as no power going to it with the ignition on / on and trying to start. Unless it's a ballast feed or something? I've tried hooking it up separately to the other cables via crocodile clips and no difference. 

I can bypass the ignition feed by directly connecting the starters ignition connection to the battery and it will spin again freely. 

If I then turn the ignition on with the key (to wake up the coil), and pull the choke out the car will start instantly with my bypass. Nae bother. So the new starter is good, my battery is good. So I have a wiring issue. The thing I dislike the most is wiring. 

I'm assuming 11.2v must be the source off my problems? 11v isn't enough go go juice to power the feed to the starter?  Possibly degraded cabling or resistance?  Or a relay? Or I'm doing it wrong 😂

Is the red cable a red herring?

Fuck knows. Its eleventy million degrees outside. The sun feels like a laser on my back. So I am warm and frustrated. 

Now about to see if I can trace cables as I have no idea if this thing has a relay somewhere, wiring isn't 100% factory. 

6 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

There's that word again!!!

What does that title even mean??

I really don't understand the overuse of that word where it has no context??

I don't know what you mean. While watching the video I was literally electrified and glued to my seat.