The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 hours ago, High Jetter said:

You give a dog a posh name...

He's named after the services on the M4/A34 junction. If you think that's posh... 

Though, of course the services are named after the nearby village which probably is, so by association you are possibly right but he is definitely not posh. 

Brake servo hose had split on the Fabia and the split had gradually been increasing beyond the realms of being able to to tape it up. So I went and bought a new hose for it... grudgingly, as at £42 I wasn't happy. It is a jen-u-wine volkswagen part though, if that means anything.

Still, that's one job off the list. :)

Anyone experienced with MK7 Civics here?

Friend snapped up a 1.7 CTDI in great condition but the central locking only opens the boot and driver's door. Either with the remote or the key.

I suspect it could be the door lock actuators but it has to be weird that 3 of them have failed?

I have a job interview in 4 hours. It pays over 50% more than my current job, I don't have the qualifications or experience they're asking for, I look like I slept in a hedge and my hair is ridiculous. I'd better shave and get a haircut before it.

On the other hand, they are giving me an interview so they must see something in me. Also, I've got almost every job I've ever interviewed for, so I have some (possibly misplaced) confidence.

I hope it goes well because I have a probation review at work tomorrow and there was a fuck up yesterday that's going to be fresh in my manager's mind.

39 minutes ago, reb said:

I have a job interview in 4 hours. It pays over 50% more than my current job, I don't have the qualifications or experience they're asking for, I look like I slept in a hedge and my hair is ridiculous. I'd better shave and get a haircut before it.

On the other hand, they are giving me an interview so they must see something in me. Also, I've got almost every job I've ever interviewed for, so I have some (possibly misplaced) confidence.

I hope it goes well because I have a probation review at work tomorrow and there was a fuck up yesterday that's going to be fresh in my manager's mind.

Fingers X, hope you get it if you like the sound of it after the interview.

3 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Fingers X, hope you get it if you like the sound of it after the interview.

It's a lot more varied than my current role, it'd give me a chance to learn a lot I wouldn't get a chance to otherwise. It also doesn't involve being on the phone all day, so between that and the money it's already winning in my eyes!

I'm now officially off on holiday today and until 25th July.

We are going down to Stockton to visit my wife's family until Sunday. I'm looking forward to going to Whitby tomorrow as well. A great drive over and I've had an excellent chippy both times I have been!

The question is, how much stuff can you fit in the boot of a Saab 93 convertible 😅

1 minute ago, Split_Pin said:

We are going down to Stockton to visit my wife's family until Sunday. I'm looking forward to going to Whitby tomorrow as well. A great drive over and I've had an excellent chippy both times I have been!

The question is, how much stuff can you fit in the boot of a Saab 93 convertible 😅

Depends whether you want to put the roof down or not! 

Package for the 740!

Apparently the same tow bar will go on a 740/60 940/60 saloon and estate, because that makes sense and follows Volvos logic things being 'easy' to fix...

I'll report later on how true that is, this was listed as for 940/60 estate, mine is 740 saloon, so far things look the same underneath so I'm hopeful. 

20220707_083943.jpg

5 hours ago, Cord Fourteener said:

I'll report later on how true that is, this was listed as for 940/60 estate, mine is 740 saloon, so far things look the same underneath so I'm hopeful. 

It looks compatible, but i gave up struggling so it's booked in next week to get it attached and wired in!

On 7/6/2022 at 1:53 AM, OM646 said:

Anyone experienced with MK7 Civics here?

Friend snapped up a 1.7 CTDI in great condition but the central locking only opens the boot and driver's door. Either with the remote or the key.

I suspect it could be the door lock actuators but it has to be weird that 3 of them have failed?

Do they all lock/unlock manually if you flick the switch on the driver's door when inside?

9 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Do they all lock/unlock manually if you flick the switch on the driver's door when inside?

Oof I actually don't know!

Just asked my friend who owns the car tho!

20 minutes ago, OM646 said:

Oof I actually don't know!

Just asked my friend who owns the car tho!

If they do work fine that way I dare say the door lock actuators are fine and it's likely something to do with the central locking module in the driver's door. I seem to vaguely recall that being a common issue on 7th gen civics 🤔

On 7/1/2022 at 12:00 AM, SiC said:

What was causing the cutting out issue in the end?

TL;DR - One of the lives wasn't connected to the car at all. 

It *looked* like it was connected, but it was just roughly terminated and pushed together with a bit of tape,  placed near the ring connector on the bolt/plate that the cables run through on the starter body. 
It had been off for so long it was covered in verdigris. I had an alternator fitted but it wasn't charging; then, both lives snapped off the ring connector (probably owing to their tenuous connection and extra voltage) and the car stopped dead. 

That's when Pete, Paul and I realised that the second live hadn't been connected for some time and the other cable was barely connected. 

The wiring to the ignition switch is also a mess and the switch itself is tired. I think someone had tried to fit some accessories near the switch (or hotwire it) and bodged it back up when attempts failed. 

Eight fucking years this thing has played up. It's been acting up longer than it's behaved. 

22 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I have a pair of English Heritage cards if you fancy visiting the priory as you pass.

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

I have a pair of English Heritage cards if you fancy visiting the priory as you pass.

Thanks man, we have kids in tow so it'll likely be the amusement arcades for much of the time 🤣

Saab performed faultlessly. The remap is brilliant, when you are stuck behind slow traffic on the single sections of the A66, you can get from 50 to 70 in around 4 seconds to overtake. I presume thats good, very useful anyway.

Whitby today, I hope the curiosity shop is open and the diecast cars aren't silly money 😄