The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

8 minutes ago, artdjones said:

That looks like the kind of shop that if you keep digging you'll find a souvenir with "I Love The Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway"printed on it. As it's Yarmouth.

I’d be more impressed if the cars were actually identifiable.

15 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Was it serviced before it went off and - if so - did he put 5w30 in it?  I found it would use 5, but 10w40 would do a good 5-6,000 miles without needing a fill up.  I used to just service it every 5k so there was less oil to get rid of!

The little yellow light will ALWAYS come on when the oil level gets to the minimum mark on the stick, at which time it needs another litre to go from empty mark to full mark.  

Good to see it plodding.  Superb old thing.

Top tip, thanks! Duly reported to them and acknowledged.

Here it is somewhere on the coast near Split:

DTD8.thumb.jpg.c2c50d80fa6b21d1049859b9f647d0d5.jpg

And they found some British people tonight with something interesting:

DTD10.thumb.jpg.04ed23269f2f98ad5a26132be1e9eae3.jpg

DTD9.thumb.jpg.e5b5544516b5afdeddcb89c2e9e6af2c.jpg

Apparently driven down there, but possibly to be used/left at a holiday home. The owners were impressed with the Avensis!

Edit: 2019 Barons listing for the Mini: https://www.barons-auctions.com/view-lot/2865/for-sale-at-barons-auctions-1979-austin-morris-mini-1100-special-convertible

Top tip: before assuming that the horrendous noise & stuttering steering are due to your PAS pump being totally fragged... try actually checking the fluid level in the reservoir. Relief at the cause was wholly eclipsed by embarrassment at my fuckwittery.

Belated query - am I right in thinking that PAS/ATF fluid is 'backwards-compatible', i.e. Dexron 3 will work with anything older?

Seemed a little odd to be washing the car that was already the cleanest one here, but after being driven to work today the Laurel was given a quick spruce-up in readiness for Master SL's prom night tomorrow:

IMG_0255.thumb.JPG.7d99783b2de4d43ef0b2448e75b71b2c.JPG

Called into a local, old car friendly garage to fill up with E5. Pleasingly(ish) it was less than expected, the same price as their E10 which at £1.899 is already the cheapest locally. It was a rare occasion where I could do a brim-to-brim check, apparently it'd done 33mpg. Even if there's 10% optimism I'm happy with 30mpg for a brick-shaped barge with a carb-fed straight-six engine dating back to the '60s. Perhaps getting a couple of longer runs in has helped, cruising along in 5th, but even on short journeys it can be rowed around on the torque. Just as well, as it's not overly keen to rev.

Mileage should click over 98k tomorrow. I'd been hoping to get to 100,000 this year, but I think it'll just be 99-odd thousand and that's something to look forward to next year.

Got into conversation at the garage, turns out that he will be using one of his old cars to take his daughter to the same prom. A Fairlane in his case.

P.S. Lexus having a rest this summer, pending being brave enough to take it for an MoT. I suspect expense will be required on the cat's and exhaust, if so then do I go for a stainless system?......

Just let the dog out for his pre bedtime wee and there was a kerfuffle and he jumped back. I wondered what was going on and then saw this. 

IMG_20220704_222031.thumb.jpg.3b15020bc48f17f20df2a4d280d824fb.jpg

Once Chieveley had his wee I stood by the hedgehog until the dog went in. I then found some softer dog treats to give to the hedgehog but by the time I got back out he'd gone. 

Chieveley wouldn't settle and was sitting by the back door batting the handle so I went back out with him. He was sniffing all over the garden then gave a growl and jumped back out from under a fern, and sure enough there was the hedgehog. This was right at the bottom of the garden so he didn't hang  about. Chieveley will soon learn he can't win against hedgehogs. 

Legacy bumped over 336k this week and is starting to show its 25 years.

There's a fair bit of rust starting to appear in the usual rear wheel arches and the base of the front wings.It is due it's Pregled (mot) this week and needs at least a couple of tyres to start with. 

I need to get underneath for a proper look but I'm thinking it's time to send off to live on the farm.

With the cost of fuel going daft over here in Bg we've decided we only really need the 1 car so with the Mrs deciding she now hates her ml270,she wants to px it in and spend her yearly bonus on something else.

Edit. No idea why the pic is sideways now,

20220704_123226.jpg

9 hours ago, High Jetter said:

You give a dog a posh name...

He's named after the services on the M4/A34 junction. If you think that's posh... 

Though, of course the services are named after the nearby village which probably is, so by association you are possibly right but he is definitely not posh. 

Brake servo hose had split on the Fabia and the split had gradually been increasing beyond the realms of being able to to tape it up. So I went and bought a new hose for it... grudgingly, as at £42 I wasn't happy. It is a jen-u-wine volkswagen part though, if that means anything.

Still, that's one job off the list. :)

Anyone experienced with MK7 Civics here?

Friend snapped up a 1.7 CTDI in great condition but the central locking only opens the boot and driver's door. Either with the remote or the key.

I suspect it could be the door lock actuators but it has to be weird that 3 of them have failed?

I have a job interview in 4 hours. It pays over 50% more than my current job, I don't have the qualifications or experience they're asking for, I look like I slept in a hedge and my hair is ridiculous. I'd better shave and get a haircut before it.

On the other hand, they are giving me an interview so they must see something in me. Also, I've got almost every job I've ever interviewed for, so I have some (possibly misplaced) confidence.

I hope it goes well because I have a probation review at work tomorrow and there was a fuck up yesterday that's going to be fresh in my manager's mind.

39 minutes ago, reb said:

I have a job interview in 4 hours. It pays over 50% more than my current job, I don't have the qualifications or experience they're asking for, I look like I slept in a hedge and my hair is ridiculous. I'd better shave and get a haircut before it.

On the other hand, they are giving me an interview so they must see something in me. Also, I've got almost every job I've ever interviewed for, so I have some (possibly misplaced) confidence.

I hope it goes well because I have a probation review at work tomorrow and there was a fuck up yesterday that's going to be fresh in my manager's mind.

Fingers X, hope you get it if you like the sound of it after the interview.

3 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Fingers X, hope you get it if you like the sound of it after the interview.

It's a lot more varied than my current role, it'd give me a chance to learn a lot I wouldn't get a chance to otherwise. It also doesn't involve being on the phone all day, so between that and the money it's already winning in my eyes!

I'm now officially off on holiday today and until 25th July.

We are going down to Stockton to visit my wife's family until Sunday. I'm looking forward to going to Whitby tomorrow as well. A great drive over and I've had an excellent chippy both times I have been!

The question is, how much stuff can you fit in the boot of a Saab 93 convertible 😅

1 minute ago, Split_Pin said:

I'm now officially off on holiday today and until 25th July.

We are going down to Stockton to visit my wife's family until Sunday. I'm looking forward to going to Whitby tomorrow as well. A great drive over and I've had an excellent chippy both times I have been!

The question is, how much stuff can you fit in the boot of a Saab 93 convertible 😅

Depends whether you want to put the roof down or not! 

Package for the 740!

Apparently the same tow bar will go on a 740/60 940/60 saloon and estate, because that makes sense and follows Volvos logic things being 'easy' to fix...

I'll report later on how true that is, this was listed as for 940/60 estate, mine is 740 saloon, so far things look the same underneath so I'm hopeful. 

20220707_083943.jpg

5 hours ago, Cord Fourteener said:

I'll report later on how true that is, this was listed as for 940/60 estate, mine is 740 saloon, so far things look the same underneath so I'm hopeful. 

It looks compatible, but i gave up struggling so it's booked in next week to get it attached and wired in!

On 7/6/2022 at 1:53 AM, OM646 said:

Anyone experienced with MK7 Civics here?

Friend snapped up a 1.7 CTDI in great condition but the central locking only opens the boot and driver's door. Either with the remote or the key.

I suspect it could be the door lock actuators but it has to be weird that 3 of them have failed?

Do they all lock/unlock manually if you flick the switch on the driver's door when inside?