The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Big day for the ex @BorniteIdentityAvensis SR, it's now in Euroland doing this:

IMG_0128.thumb.JPG.5b91b8cc74c244ffcf725e23674f6f45.JPG

As recently reported it went straight through an MoT, since then it's had a full belt change, new clutch and replacement coolant tank.

IMG_0130.thumb.JPG.5bd3165591de57a92be5a9026e59aa0a.JPG

IMG_0126.thumb.JPG.e4497e40bfeab7f322c6b644949bd3cd.JPG

As recetly as Thursday evening it got used for taxi duties, carting Miss SL's BF's family to meet us for a farewell meal. It's covered around 1,000 miles since purchase and it's done a great job, so they feel confident in it.

They left us yesterday afternoon, making it down to an overnight stop in Ashford. By happy coincidence they ended up at the same place as an R-reg Corolla hatchback ( @Datsuncog style) that was also on the rally. Other cars I've seen taking part include a 'proper' Fiat panda, R-reg Rover 618, another Toyota or two and a Mk1 Honda CRV painted-up in Jurassic Park colours. Daniel will be happy to see the Avensis has only received the obligatory stickers, and there was consternation when one of them pulled off some lacquer when it needed to be repositioned....

A Volvo saloon shed a belt before even making the start, hopefully they got it sorted.

Compared to some they've got it easy in the Avensis. There's just the two of them and it swallowed all their luggage, camping gear for the trip home etc without any problem. I believe there's a Yaris taking part with four lads on board!

They've now made it as far as Brussels, via Calais, so at the end of day one that's a couple of countries ticked-off.

Daughter and her boyfriend are both just 18 and have never driven abroad before. Inevitably there's a bit of anxiousness here but I hope they have a great time and get back safe and well (including the car). I can't help but feel a little bit envious....

1 hour ago, wheel nut said:

@Tickman 's update on the problem his daughter had with a wheel seized onto the hub reminded me of an issue I had myself that I meant to revisit. One of my dailys is a Dacia Logan which failed it’s MOT a few months ago on rusty discs. I changed them and the pads myself but the biggest problem I had was getting the wheels off. I had to resort to a combination of a sledgehammer plus driving it with loose wheel bolts on my driveway to get them to break free. 

When putting the wheels back on after rebuilding the brakes, they were still ominously tight to go onto the hubs so I reckoned it’s the bit of the hub that pokes through the wheel centre that was sticking.  So today I took the wheels off again and sanded the rust off the hub centres before applying a small amount of grease to try to stop them from rusting to the wheels again. I used the grease sparingly as the last thing I want is excess grease finding its way to my shiny new discs. The wheels slipped back on easily this time so hopefully this will do the trick.

IMG_2679.thumb.JPG.1fda012623ea560dd3702ef6e8592f16.JPG

A quick job to do which I hope will save me hassle in the long term. I don’t usually carry a sledgehammer around with me in case of getting a puncture so goodness knows what I would have done if I had discovered this by the roadside.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how long was it since your wheels were last off? My front wheels had last been off 18 months before I found then stuck to the hubs but that 18 months included 2 winters which is probably when most of the corrosion occurs.

Nice work, I've had this same issue with several cars i've owned - all for the want of a tiny smear of copper grease when the wheel is being fitted to the hub. I'll always smear a little bit of grease on the mating face of the wheel with an old paintbrush the first time I have a wheel off the car, and check it subsequent times.

Many times I've had to resort to walloping the inside of the wheel rim with my big wooden mallet to free a wheel off - as you say, far better to discover this at home than on the side of a motorway on a rainy night!

1 hour ago, wheel nut said:

@Tickman 's update on the problem his daughter had with a wheel seized onto the hub reminded me of an issue I had myself that I meant to revisit. One of my dailys is a Dacia Logan which failed it’s MOT a few months ago on rusty discs. I changed them and the pads myself but the biggest problem I had was getting the wheels off. I had to resort to a combination of a sledgehammer plus driving it with loose wheel bolts on my driveway to get them to break free. 

When putting the wheels back on after rebuilding the brakes, they were still ominously tight to go onto the hubs so I reckoned it’s the bit of the hub that pokes through the wheel centre that was sticking.  So today I took the wheels off again and sanded the rust off the hub centres before applying a small amount of grease to try to stop them from rusting to the wheels again. I used the grease sparingly as the last thing I want is excess grease finding its way to my shiny new discs. The wheels slipped back on easily this time so hopefully this will do the trick.

A quick job to do which I hope will save me hassle in the long term. I don’t usually carry a sledgehammer around with me in case of getting a puncture so goodness knows what I would have done if I had discovered this by the roadside.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how long was it since your wheels were last off? My front wheels had last been off 18 months before I found then stuck to the hubs but that 18 months included 2 winters which is probably when most of the corrosion occurs.

Yes often corrosion around the centre spigot that causes the problem. A dead blow hammer is a help as they have a plastic face which means you can hammer the wheel without damaging it. It sometimes dislodges the wheel easier if you pull top outwards while banging the bottom of the wheel on the outside.

.2099963036_images(11).jpeg.047bb062b3a65d5aa5a5c62cfe93cfae.jpeg

I had the same problem with the 107 when I went to take the front wheels off to do the brake pads.  Rubber mallet made no difference, so I tried the driving it with loose wheel nuts trick - the offside wheel came loose pretty much straight away but with the nearside I ended up driving about half a mile, with a couple of enthusiastic corners thrown in, before it finally came loose.  I then had to tighten the wheel nuts back up so I could drive it home...  I put a smear of wheel bearing grease on the hub as that's what I had to hand at the time.

Serviced the Avensis today. I despise Crosland parts (spotted the Crosland oil filter and air filter) and despite the last service being less than 2k miles ago in the history and invoices, it was about a year or so ago. 

everything  bar the fuel filter was done, as that’s on order, a quality Blueprint item due on Tuesday. Bosch plugs taken out and better NGK ones in. I also treated it to a bottle of Liqui Moly Ceratec which at £20 odd was expensive but it is proven to work so wanted to give it the best. Runs lovely. 

Pollen filters have clearly never been changed. What an experience finding and replacing them but thanks to @BorniteIdentityfor the advice. 

5FDA20EA-B2AC-4FB6-B9A7-86C8F54F8EBF.jpeg

55820F84-ADEF-4F43-91BF-D31555991F46.jpeg

2 hours ago, wheel nut said:

If you can’t get your (usually) rear alloy wheels off the hub, I recommend tightening the nuts up and dropping the jack down.

When on the floor, loosen each nut 1 full turn.  Then get hold of the car somewhere where you’re not likely to dent it and shake it side to side as hard as you can.  

The wheel and hub will soon part company as you’re putting their mating faces under a lot of strain / movement.

My wifes CRX had been languishing unloved down on her dads driveway for at least a couple of years and a decision has to be made whether to keep it or move it on.

IMG20220618174316.thumb.jpg.f3186ae85fc8a871631ff4e9260afea7.jpg

IMG20220619132958.thumb.jpg.0e06396e90cb022b5a91c71531fec7c4.jpg

So last weekend it got hit with a jet washer and my faithful jump pack (cheers Rac) was clipped on to its long dead battery,and being a Honda it coughed into life within a couple of seconds.

We have now bought it back home and i will have a look under it to see what's needed for another mot and then decide it's fate.

Trouble is being left abandoned unloved for so long has allowed grot to burst through the paint on drivers rear wheel arch and the end of the n/s rear sill.

And the laquer on the n/s front wing has started to peel off too,the paintwork was never great but now it's really showing where it has had various touch ups throughout its life.

It's an auto so it's not even slightly sporty to drive but it got lots of comments when its was being used.

The local car cash back place has offered £375 for it which surprised me I guess Honda cats are worth good money but I would need to remove the plate from it first.

Can I pull the plate off it without out it having a current Mot (expired 2019 I think) ?

IMG20220620071836.thumb.jpg.01800fcfbcdbe1ca692239d4934f5ab7.jpg

IMG20220620071847.thumb.jpg.3e2ac40e3fc3fb739562e000afcc2346.jpg

12 minutes ago, Joey spud said:

My wifes CRX had been languishing unloved down on her dads driveway for at least a couple of years and a decision has to be made whether to keep it or move it on.

So last weekend it got hit with a jet washer and my faithful jump pack (cheers Rac) was clipped on to its long dead battery,and being a Honda it coughed into life within a couple of seconds.

We have now bought it back home and i will have a look under it to see what's needed for another mot and then decide it's fate.

Trouble is being left abandoned unloved for so long has allowed grot to burst through the paint on drivers rear wheel arch and the end of the n/s rear sill.

And the laquer on the n/s front wing has started to peel off too,the paintwork was never great but now it's really showing where it has had various touch ups throughout its life.

It's an auto so it's not even slightly sporty to drive but it got lots of comments when its was being used.

The local car cash back place has offered £375 for it which surprised me I guess Honda cats are worth good money but I would need to remove the plate from it first.

Can I pull the plate off it without out it having a current Mot (expired 2019 I think) ?

Those things are worth BIG bucks in parts. If it has the 1590cc engine, IIRC they're a grand on their own

2 hours ago, wheel nut said:

A problem I always see from cars that have come in for their first independent service after being in the main dealer network for years. 

2014 Skoda Yeti I had yesterday, had to hammer the shit out of the rear wheels. Tyres dated 2017, presumably the last time those wheels were off. Rear brakes were absolutely fucked, so that hadn't been spotted on the previous services either... Again, clearly the wheels weren't taken off. 

Cleaned up the hub surface and wheel surface, small smear of grease and it shouldn't get stuck again.

16 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Big day for the ex @BorniteIdentityAvensis SR, it's now in Euroland doing this:

IMG_0128.thumb.JPG.5b91b8cc74c244ffcf725e23674f6f45.JPG

As recently reported it went straight through an MoT, since then it's had a full belt change, new clutch and replacement coolant tank.

IMG_0130.thumb.JPG.5bd3165591de57a92be5a9026e59aa0a.JPG

IMG_0126.thumb.JPG.e4497e40bfeab7f322c6b644949bd3cd.JPG

As recetly as Thursday evening it got used for taxi duties, carting Miss SL's BF's family to meet us for a farewell meal. It's covered around 1,000 miles since purchase and it's done a great job, so they feel confident in it.

They left us yesterday afternoon, making it down to an overnight stop in Ashford. By happy coincidence they ended up at the same place as an R-reg Corolla hatchback ( @Datsuncog style) that was also on the rally. Other cars I've seen taking part include a 'proper' Fiat panda, R-reg Rover 618, another Toyota or two and a Mk1 Honda CRV painted-up in Jurassic Park colours. Daniel will be happy to see the Avensis has only received the obligatory stickers, and there was consternation when one of them pulled off some lacquer when it needed to be repositioned....

A Volvo saloon shed a belt before even making the start, hopefully they got it sorted.

Compared to some they've got it easy in the Avensis. There's just the two of them and it swallowed all their luggage, camping gear for the trip home etc without any problem. I believe there's a Yaris taking part with four lads on board!

They've now made it as far as Brussels, via Calais, so at the end of day one that's a couple of countries ticked-off.

Daughter and her boyfriend are both just 18 and have never driven abroad before. Inevitably there's a bit of anxiousness here but I hope they have a great time and get back safe and well (including the car). I can't help but feel a little bit envious....

I think about this old Hector daily.  Had I known then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have sold it - but I'm glad it's gone to such a great home and has had such care lavished on it already.  What a brilliant thing it is.

Keep us updated! 

I bought two new batteries from ECP last week.  They were on special offer and were only about £31 each (Varta 12V 33AH). Today I replaced the nearly dead 2014 battery in my Reliant and, as expected after a fuel pump diaphragm replacement last week, it took a good 45 seconds to reprime the fuel system. I let the starter have a minute or two to recover from the shock then, much to my slight surprise, the engine started and ran beautifully on the second attempt and  I let it idle for several minutes. The general plan is to de-clutter the Reliant after its slumber since September last year, give it a clean to remove the garage dust, then maybe give it a brief test drive.  It will then be ready to sell as a runner in the next month or two.

The other new battery will go in to my 1980s mobility scooter and I'll buy another new one because it takes two. If the Reliant had not started, both new batteries would have gone into the scooter.

18 hours ago, Joey spud said:

Thats really nice, looks clean for a delsol, they can rot like fuck but if the body is OK (and it looks it) it's definitely saveable. That VTEC engine is worth a bit. 375 scrap is an absolute rip off, you could stick that on eBay for 1500 and it'd fly off.

It's a good colour too. 

Needs an MOT for plate retention. 

I did a rotation on the wheels on the Avensis a few days ago after I stuck the originals back on. The fronts had very recent tyres but the rears are like 6 years old. Turns out the rears are misshapen due to the low mileage and never getting used, and I’d get an odd vibration even though they were balanced. Two new tyres being fitted Tuesday, £93. Say what you want about budgets, but these Autogreens from National are A rated for wet grip allegedly and with the 10% discount it was a no brainier. Plus it is no sports car. 

Just lost the arse end of the Lexus LS400 massively at 15mph with the whole family on board. It was heavy rain granted but I wasn't travelling at speed, I was driving smoothly and  barely applied any throttle. 

The back tyres were inflated correctly, they've worn evenly, the tread is OK but they're sailuns. Gonna have to spunk some money on crossclimates for the back. I've always bought cheap tyres and I've never had a problem but that was marginally scary

This car badly wants me to hate it. It's just back from having a fair old chunk of work and a hefty-ish bill.

Had an eventful day car wise… 

Visiting the parents in Stratford on Avon this weekend, and discover it’s the Volvo owners club national meet there this weekend. We made plans to duck off for a couple of hours. Cars a bit dirty… let’s take it to the car wash says the good lady. Hand car wash in Stratford is double the price of back home so off to the automated car wash it is. 

Mid wash it cuts out… and won’t restart. We end up having to push it out of the car wash… 

2F689873-EC44-4342-92FB-8892C5C50359.jpeg

Spins but no catch. Check all the bits I can being 150 miles from home with no tools. Still nothing. Eventually 15 mins later it splutters back to life… and dies instantly. Another 10 or so minutes and we have life… odd. Must have been water in there somewhere.

Drove it off to the Volvo national… only for it to cut out again and not want to restart at a junction this time. Fucksticks.

5 mins later it was going again. So drove it back to my folks instead and walked down to Volvo national.

7881FC5C-0206-4752-961E-8CF22F6CF8BF.jpeg4E02448A-2F34-4798-B095-4C0A32E8BEC9.jpeg1B0EDA39-18DB-41E0-947B-A79A1F99B9F2.jpeg0B467359-9062-43C5-8ED3-4D05C9414CBC.jpeg3EAC6569-A4FE-4C2A-BFA8-5AA0838A221F.jpegA575ADCD-C051-42A0-9613-03B6C1CC1108.jpeg63705EE6-14CC-464B-899A-94902DAC04F7.jpeg6B473708-6934-443A-99B2-A78051A94F9B.jpeg

Apt sticker… 

F44D00DD-21CB-4DD0-9EF4-2CA3526F3D9E.jpeg

Probably would have had more fun if a) I wasn’t trying to figure out what was wrong with my Volvo, b) we had had the Volvo in the meet. It was ok, not a massive meet compared to Saab and 2CV nationals I have been to before.

Still the small matter of driving 150 miles home. Took a test run with my brothers to see if it would cut out and it didn’t, so braved the motorways with the littluns on board… that was stressful!! Breaking down on my own.. or with it he wife… meh. Breaking down with a 2 year old and a 5 month old… nightmare. However… 

A8DFCAC1-DE8E-4FE4-867C-54D652BC7F82.jpeg

Safely home, must have been water in the system somewhere.

Once home my wife confessed she’d never been through an automated car wash before “I was always too scared of breaking down in one” she says… 

4 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Had an eventful day car wise… 

Visiting the parents in Stratford on Avon this weekend, and discover it’s the Volvo owners club national meet there this weekend. We made plans to duck off for a couple of hours. Cars a bit dirty… let’s take it to the car wash says the good lady. Hand car wash in Stratford is double the price of back home so off to the automated car wash it is. 

Mid wash it cuts out… and won’t restart. We end up having to push it out of the car wash… 

2F689873-EC44-4342-92FB-8892C5C50359.jpeg

Spins but no catch. Check all the bits I can being 150 miles from home with no tools. Still nothing. Eventually 15 mins later it splutters back to life… and dies instantly. Another 10 or so minutes and we have life… odd. Must have been water in there somewhere.

Drove it off to the Volvo national… only for it to cut out again and not want to restart at a junction this time. Fucksticks.

5 mins later it was going again. So drove it back to my folks instead and walked down to Volvo national.

7881FC5C-0206-4752-961E-8CF22F6CF8BF.jpeg4E02448A-2F34-4798-B095-4C0A32E8BEC9.jpeg1B0EDA39-18DB-41E0-947B-A79A1F99B9F2.jpeg0B467359-9062-43C5-8ED3-4D05C9414CBC.jpeg3EAC6569-A4FE-4C2A-BFA8-5AA0838A221F.jpegA575ADCD-C051-42A0-9613-03B6C1CC1108.jpeg63705EE6-14CC-464B-899A-94902DAC04F7.jpeg6B473708-6934-443A-99B2-A78051A94F9B.jpeg

Apt sticker… 

F44D00DD-21CB-4DD0-9EF4-2CA3526F3D9E.jpeg

Probably would have had more fun if a) I wasn’t trying to figure out what was wrong with my Volvo, b) we had had the Volvo in the meet. It was ok, not a massive meet compared to Saab and 2CV nationals I have been to before.

Still the small matter of driving 150 miles home. Took a test run with my brothers to see if it would cut out and it didn’t, so braved the motorways with the littluns on board… that was stressful!! Breaking down on my own.. or with it he wife… meh. Breaking down with a 2 year old and a 5 month old… nightmare. However… 

A8DFCAC1-DE8E-4FE4-867C-54D652BC7F82.jpeg

Safely home, must have been water in the system somewhere.

Once home my wife confessed she’d never been through an automated car wash before “I was always too scared of breaking down in one” she says… 

The like was for getting home OK, not for the breaking down.