The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

IMAG6395.thumb.jpg.ce452cffe479dab07f2b848a93b33f8e.jpg

It is done, finally.  I'm happier with the arch shape on the other side of the car, the side I did using two front wings.  This side the arch shape just seems... off.  Amusingly, this is the side I used proper repair panels on and while the bodylines and door shut pressing lined up, I've had no end of trouble getting the arch to be in the right place and needed to do a lot more jiggery pokery to make it all work.  Still, it's done now and it's good enough.  All steel instead of rust and filler and a sock.  When it's not raining I'll do the filler work (no filler in it yet) that's needed to smooth it all out and get some nice shiny red paint thrown on.  Bumper corner will make a reappearance when it's all painted too.  Then I can go through and do all the MoT prep I need to and get this thing booked in.  If I hadn't run out of gas, and then money, this would have been done a lot sooner.  Thank goodness for the neighbour that gave me a bottle of Co2/Argon that he'd had sat in his shed for the better part of 20 years unused, because that's given me enough to do some of the welding the Princess needs too without costing me a penny.

30 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Future fil and bro in law were at deceased uncles house and I've spotted these gems..

20220618_174256.jpg

20220618_175033.jpg

20220618_175415.jpg

I wonder where the rest of the Riva is? We've had a front grille, engine and now doors!

23 hours ago, brownnova said:

Decided to daily the 2CV this week, I think it’s the first time I’ve done the full 5 (well 6 as I used it last Friday too) in it. 

7356326F-8A50-439A-B881-3A507163FE40.jpeg

Almost faultless to the very end. Truly is totally capable of the daily grind at 36 years old, and far more economical than the Volvo!! 

A 2cv is really the only car anyone needs. 50mpg, 4 doors and a decent boot. Took mine to waitrose this morning with the roof down at 7.30am  and 21 degrees and it rained on the way back with no clouds in the sky!

3 minutes ago, grogee said:

Stopped at a services somewhere in NE Leics. 

Do they really think anyone will buy oil at these prices?

IMG_20220619_100839538.jpg

I'd buy a litre for £20 if the light was on but probably refuse to spend money there ever again.  Bet they don't sell many 5L bottles at £73.

31 minutes ago, grogee said:

I know! I'm wondering if it's a typo. 

Don't think so, think they're about £85 at my local! 

Concur with catsinthewelder, people might buy the 1L bottles in a pinch but don't think anyone's going to shell to buy a bottle for an oil change!

Just now, wuvvum said:

Was in Tesco earlier and their own brand oil is £17 for four litres, so it hasn't gone up that much - it's just the services charging stupid prices.

Didn't notice that the photo was taken at a services, pays to be observant in my case. I can get 5L of the stuff I use online for £22 or so. So that'll do me fine. :)

Looks like Jackson Pollack has been turning round outside my house.

IMG_20220619_172351.thumb.jpg.319e86fb2416933bac7e426c2f93102f.jpg

Discovered where the leak is coming from - just got to work out where the other end of the pipe goes! Fairly certain it goes to the the OSF strut return but there's a bundle of pipes behind a clip which I'll need to remove first to be sure. Fastener for the clip currently soaking in penetrative oil before I attempt to remove it.

IMG_20220619_172035.thumb.jpg.41f2c6c9846280775abc76f705214eaf.jpg

1 hour ago, Floatylight said:

I haz agreed to do a buy!

In typical autoshite fashion, £600, moon miles, retail silver with rust bless, no MoT, not seen it running and won't run unless it's started on easy start and I've not really got anywhere to store it.

😂

If it lets vital fluids out and rainwater in, that's Autoshite full house

On 6/16/2022 at 11:31 PM, wuvvum said:

Just had a look at the emissions readout for the Innocenti from its test today.  CO was 0.03% and hydrocarbons were 24ppm - pretty amazing for a 30-year-old carburettor engine that's been sat around for most of the last five years.  In fact it's cleaner than the 107...

107 may have been tested on cold/luke warm idle. I think garages do it early on a test if it's more convenient for them to do, as if it passes when not up to temperature, it's still a pass. 

I had hoped that for Father’s Day I would get more time in the garage than I did, but I’ll take the quick half an hour deciding which of the front wings I have for the 2CV are least rotten and most saveable. 
BF61FA53-7E1F-4914-9354-E7A1A5027218.jpeg

Turns out it’s the two red ones… so that’s me painting them green then. Some brief repair work done to them ready… but didn’t even get time to get back and sand the filler I’d applied down. Where do the weekends go!?! 

20 hours ago, grogee said:

Stopped at a services somewhere in NE Leics. 

Do they really think anyone will buy oil at these prices?

IMG_20220619_100839538.jpg

Daughter came round a couple of Sundays ago. Oil light had come on in her car. Checked dipstick which wasn't reaching the oil. Evening so all the usual suspects were shut. Car, 66reg Peugeot 208 needs 0w30 stuff. Got lots of oil in shed, but none of that. Phone oldest son, he hasn't got any either. He lives near the Leicester Forest East M1 Services. Phones me up, 23 quid a litre. Fortunately I'd just been to the petrol station at the bottom of the road and paid 15 quid. That got it back on the dipstick. Only holds about 3 litres anyway. Bought 5 litres and a filter from GSF later for around 40 quid, but haven't got round to changing it for her yet. She's going to Dubai in August so car will be sold off anyway. Been a good car for her really. Had it new on a Just add fuel PCP, bought it outright when the 3 years were up. Just got in on the £20 pound tax. WBAC come up with more than she paid for it,so all good. 

9 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Daughter came round a couple of Sundays ago. Oil light had come on in her car. Checked dipstick which wasn't reaching the oil. Evening so all the usual suspects were shut. Car, 66reg Peugeot 208 needs 0w30 stuff. Got lots of oil in shed, but none of that. Phone oldest son, he hasn't got any either. He lives near the Leicester Forest East M1 Services. Phones me up, 23 quid a litre. Fortunately I'd just been to the petrol station at the bottom of the road and paid 15 quid. That got it back on the dipstick. Only holds about 3 litres anyway. Bought 5 litres and a filter from GSF later for around 40 quid, but haven't got round to changing it for her yet. She's going to Dubai in August so car will be sold off anyway. Been a good car for her really. Had it new on a Just add fuel PCP, bought it outright when the 3 years were up. Just got in on the £20 pound tax. WBAC come up with more than she paid for it,so all good. 

5W-30 would have been better than nothing :)

7 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

5W-30 would have been better than nothing :)

I know what the figures mean, but is there really any practical real world difference between 0W-30 and 5W-30?

Re services oil prices, garages especially main dealers charge at least £60 for 5 litres during a service.

1 minute ago, Metal Guru said:

I know what the figures mean, but is there really any practical real world difference between 0W-30 and 5W-30?

Re services oil prices, garages especially main dealers charge at least £60 for 5 litres during a service.

I wouldn’t think so. If a car is seriously low on oil I’d put anything in which is relatively close. 

Just checked the Shell app, and they generously allow 10% off of their own oils. That brings the price down to… far too much.

3 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Yes. 5w is thicker from cold but both have the same viscosity at operating temperature.

On my old Civic diesel, the tolerances were so tight that it because important that you used 0w30 and nothing else.

In an emergency though, the car would obviously get what it was given.

I think this completes the Saaab welding saga. Crumbly bit under the battery tray that would have been much easier to fix while I had other bits chopped out.

View is looking down on the OSF inner wing

20220620_094100.thumb.jpg.e3a1da87abf40d24b7fc6845f62c7d46.jpg

Cut out 

20220620_104540.thumb.jpg.5533f8a504d09b9d224eaa6aa041dc55.jpg

Test fitting one half of the repair 

20220620_110253.thumb.jpg.ae6e4135d0969ea97fb73aabc6025df7.jpg

Weld that on...

20220620_110929.thumb.jpg.f1536fd4590f627cbf4bbce049a8a8e9.jpg

And make a small patch for the other bit

20220620_113655.thumb.jpg.0aefb8380dd0936ffc63de818aebe5f3.jpg

Underneath 

20220620_114426.thumb.jpg.4e7d80e5b6d050f0b6b69bf52299ca8d.jpg