The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Ambers Mini is really on its last legs now, MOT is about 3 months away and I don’t expect it to live past that however one of its tyres is right on the markers.

Anyone clued up on tyres know whether this is OK? Tread looks fine but there’s a slight nick in the bead. Obviously don’t want to buy it if it’s going be dangerous or leak, but it’s very cheap and I think looks superficial?

F7EECEDD-5D4E-468C-974F-9FA1A46806D6.png

E77024E1-5219-4FAE-9C2A-A116522F700D.png

6 hours ago, HMC said:

My Speedo now works and the needles are visible as I’ve repainted them, but the clock plastic didn’t respond to toothpaste, so maybe a headlamp polycarbonate renovation kit now needed? Californian summers x45 take their toll on interiors

image.thumb.jpg.d5486ffd1984fead943e50967504aefe.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.d913528815df06ade9e648ec70369aa1.jpg

Brasso wadding? I use it to tidy up scratched/dull plastic watch faces with good results. 

10 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Hottest week of the year so far and really high pollen count means for the first time since moving to Sussex I’ve had to take hayfever tablets.

It had me knackered yesterday  and I went to bed early. It's rare I'm affected by it.

5 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

Could I have first refusal on that please if you move on to something else?

Yup no bother. I'm waiting for a facia plate for the 107 before I can try it. If I'm not keen I'll send you it. 

I 'won' it on ebay for £68.

15 hours ago, HMC said:

My Speedo now works and the needles are visible as I’ve repainted them, but the clock plastic didn’t respond to toothpaste, so maybe a headlamp polycarbonate renovation kit now needed? Californian summers x45 take their toll on interiors

I think I would make a new “glass”: it’s flat and it’s round and polycarbonate sheet is an ebay click away.

18 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Apparently the BINI took over 3 litres of water.. fuck it. Time to look for a £500 shitter for her this weekend.

Obversely you'll do the gentlemanly thing and give her the Scirocco to use and you'll  use the £500 shitter.🤔😂

20 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Ambers Mini is really on its last legs now, MOT is about 3 months away and I don’t expect it to live past that however one of its tyres is right on the markers.

Anyone clued up on tyres know whether this is OK? Tread looks fine but there’s a slight nick in the bead. Obviously don’t want to buy it if it’s going be dangerous or leak, but it’s very cheap and I think looks superficial?

F7EECEDD-5D4E-468C-974F-9FA1A46806D6.png

E77024E1-5219-4FAE-9C2A-A116522F700D.png

Nope, not a chance. Bead damage is an instant replace for me. It'll probably bulge, and would be especially weakened if it hit a kerb or pothole. Would likely cause a slow air leak too 

Anyway, looks like you've got bigger fish to fry with that car now anyway :(

Decided to daily the 2CV this week, I think it’s the first time I’ve done the full 5 (well 6 as I used it last Friday too) in it. 

7356326F-8A50-439A-B881-3A507163FE40.jpeg

Almost faultless to the very end. Truly is totally capable of the daily grind at 36 years old, and far more economical than the Volvo!! 

Mental note to self today.

90's American fuel gauges are not like fuel gauges of today. Empty does not mean at least 20 miles of further driving before filling up becomes a necessity.

In fairness the Buicks low fuel warning did come on a few times before it died.

First time in 20 years that I had to call my mum to bring a couple of cans out to where I was.

Promptly went straight to Asda after and filled it up.

IMAG6395.thumb.jpg.ce452cffe479dab07f2b848a93b33f8e.jpg

It is done, finally.  I'm happier with the arch shape on the other side of the car, the side I did using two front wings.  This side the arch shape just seems... off.  Amusingly, this is the side I used proper repair panels on and while the bodylines and door shut pressing lined up, I've had no end of trouble getting the arch to be in the right place and needed to do a lot more jiggery pokery to make it all work.  Still, it's done now and it's good enough.  All steel instead of rust and filler and a sock.  When it's not raining I'll do the filler work (no filler in it yet) that's needed to smooth it all out and get some nice shiny red paint thrown on.  Bumper corner will make a reappearance when it's all painted too.  Then I can go through and do all the MoT prep I need to and get this thing booked in.  If I hadn't run out of gas, and then money, this would have been done a lot sooner.  Thank goodness for the neighbour that gave me a bottle of Co2/Argon that he'd had sat in his shed for the better part of 20 years unused, because that's given me enough to do some of the welding the Princess needs too without costing me a penny.

30 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Future fil and bro in law were at deceased uncles house and I've spotted these gems..

20220618_174256.jpg

20220618_175033.jpg

20220618_175415.jpg

I wonder where the rest of the Riva is? We've had a front grille, engine and now doors!