The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

My old 944S passed its MOT the other day.  The chaps down at my local VW garage gave it a service, although the oil was still golden, replaced the leaking fuel pipe &  the very expensive ignition leads. I shall be taxing it in a few moments & may even drive it somewhere at the weekend!

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

The fog lamp is an odd one though.  It's like that by design - I've seen the same thing on other cars in the past (Renault 5 springs to mind).  I think it's done on the principle that one shouldn't be using one's main beams in foggy conditions anyway.  Not sure how to get around that, other than wiring up a separate switch with a feed directly from one of the sidelights...

is it actually a fallible issue then? I mean how do Renault 5's go through MOT's if they work the same

I have to wonder it it might be a case of an MOT tester who needs to brush up on the testers manual, or is not use to old shite!

Call from the garage who’ve had my TF for nearly three weeks… 

We’ve changed the Lambda sensors and it’s still high on the Lambda reading… We’ve ordered a replacement ECU as it’s likely the remap that’s the problem… 

This will be one of the most costly MoT I’ve had! On a car I’d not long bought. Think this one was a mistake! 

I prefer cars without the fancy electronics… 

8 hours ago, cort16 said:

I pay monthly for web hosting. It was £3.95 a months, which always thought was extremely cheap for windows hosting TBH and the service is pretty good.

I had an email saying it's gone from £3.95 to £17.95 a month.  Has electricity  gone up so much that it justifies a 400% price increase or did they just release they'd be hopelessly undercharging.

Am I motivated enough to move providers? No probably not.

lol they fucked it up and sent out the wrong prices in the email. . I just got another email saying it’s going to £4.95 not £17.95. Fannys.

I cracked 11 torx bolts on the Bosch CP1 successfully but the 12th just rounded off like it was chocolate! Another £75 for a further 2nd hand one. FUCKSTICKS.

In better news, the belts and water pump have now been replaced on the Cav. 

20220616_164117.thumb.jpg.c20241a5765f09787d0159d72df494e8.jpg

I gave the engine bay a spruce up for an upcoming meet this Sunday. Looks well!

20220616_164012.thumb.jpg.2b3415a42e5f943a6a0b077c612e89ac.jpg

7 minutes ago, HMC said:

My Speedo now works and the needles are visible as I’ve repainted them, but the clock plastic didn’t respond to toothpaste, so maybe a headlamp polycarbonate renovation kit now needed? Californian summers x45 take their toll on interiors

This is my favourite car on AS right now.

Replacement clock plastic is probably available form the states albeit with massive shipping costs these days...

Hottest week of the year so far and really high pollen count means for the first time since moving to Sussex I’ve had to take hayfever tablets.

Also the week the aircon on the Saab decides it’s time to get a bit feeble, so it’s booked in for Monday.

I’ll see if I can fit the Mini in as well.

36 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Call from the garage who’ve had my TF for nearly three weeks… 

We’ve changed the Lambda sensors and it’s still high on the Lambda reading… We’ve ordered a replacement ECU as it’s likely the remap that’s the problem… 

This will be one of the most costly MoT I’ve had! On a car I’d not long bought. Think this one was a mistake! 

I prefer cars without the fancy electronics… 

Quite agree about preferring  no electronics, that's why I've held on to my base model 1.9xud for 20 years. No electronics, fancy or otherwise. DVLA says my heap is a GLD when it is a GRD. I didn't want an upgrade, the bastards.

4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

is it actually a fallible issue then? I mean how do Renault 5's go through MOT's if they work the same

Hmm.  Quote from the gov.uk website:

Rear fog lamps may extinguish when main-beam is switched on or when dipped beam headlamps are switched off.

I may have to point this out when I take it in for a retest...

1 hour ago, puddlethumper said:

Quite agree about preferring  no electronics, that's why I've held on to my base model 1.9xud for 20 years. No electronics, fancy or otherwise. DVLA says my heap is a GLD when it is a GRD. I didn't want an upgrade, the bastards.

They've given you a downgrade, not an upgrade.

42 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Hmm.  Quote from the gov.uk website:

Rear fog lamps may extinguish when main-beam is switched on or when dipped beam headlamps are switched off.

I may have to point this out when I take it in for a retest...

Yeah thats sort of what i thought!

you sort of get a knack for this thing when you have been dealing with the DVLA/DVSA as heavily as I do :)  

you get a knowing for when the issue is with the thing being processed, or the issue is with the person doing the processing!

when someone has something that does not play out for them, but the exact same thing does for everything else

then you generally know the issue exits between the chair and the keyboard, rather than an actual issue with the thing being processed (unless there was some sort of systematic issue, allowing something dodgy to slip through, and its only caught then)

so when you said "but its just like this for Renault 5's" that set alarm bells ringing and I immediately right, I bet you the MOT man has not read his manual properly etc, given just how many R5's there where over time and continue to get MOT's, if it really was an issue something would of been said about it by now 

another probably slightly I am sad bastard thing that helps is I have studied so many MOT histories, I have gotten to know what is pre-formulated official DVSA wording, and what is something that the MOT tester has custom inputted/tacked onto the end!

the wording "adversely affected by the operation of another lamp" is generally meant for situations where you have a bad earth or bad wiring, say you stick the indicators on, and the head lamps also flash, or the head lamps go dim all of a sudden etc

and generally does not have anything on the end for example taken from JBY503J's MOT history "Nearside Front position lamp(s) slightly affected by the operation of another lamp (1.1.A.3f)" so when I saw the extra bit on the end of yours that also set off bells

as for the door, can you remove it entirely, or temporary panel over the door handle?

cant fail on an non opening door if there is no door to open :mrgreen:

if you get questioned about it just say its a Dummy door like on an AC Acedes! LOL (thats literally what its called in the parts manual!)

ac5.thumb.jpg.fa1b05f770bdde80c377e471e06bbaeb.jpg

if you really want to shit-up the MOT tester for messing up on the fog light, you could write in yellow testers chalk "Ministry!" somewhere on the bottom of the car :mrgreen:

then you can probably bet he wont make that same mistake twice!

or is that too cruel? LOL

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I have to wonder it it might be a case of an MOT tester who needs to brush up on the testers manual, or is not use to old shite!

Van is the same.  Fogs switch off if you select main beam.  Pretty sure the BX does that too (or locks main beam out when the switch is clicked all the way down to the fog position).

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

then you can probably bet he wont make that same mistake twice!

or is that too cruel? LOL

Yeah I won't be doing that.  I use that garage for all my MOTs, the tester is a decent bloke and I want to stay on the right side of him so he doesn't start going looking for faults on future tests...

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

as for the door, can you remove it entirely, or temporary panel over the door handle?

cant fail on an non opening door if there is no door to open :mrgreen:

The door does open, it's just the exterior handle is slightly knackered and pops out of line at the rearmost end, and when it does that the gubbins inside the door don't line up either so it won't open.  If you hold the end of the handle in place as you lift it, the door opens fine.

Ambers Mini is really on its last legs now, MOT is about 3 months away and I don’t expect it to live past that however one of its tyres is right on the markers.

Anyone clued up on tyres know whether this is OK? Tread looks fine but there’s a slight nick in the bead. Obviously don’t want to buy it if it’s going be dangerous or leak, but it’s very cheap and I think looks superficial?

F7EECEDD-5D4E-468C-974F-9FA1A46806D6.png

E77024E1-5219-4FAE-9C2A-A116522F700D.png