The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, Dan29 said:

Could be these?

That's very close but not quite. Most notably the valve hole is at the end of a spoke on the Triumph wheel, and the ones pictured on the 500, but between spokes on the one above. Also that's only 13" the Triumph wheel is 14", which the ones on the 500 look more like, though of course they might come in different sizes. But I'm still going with PCD adapters. 

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Apparently the convertible is based on an E Class Convertible like this and the And the coupe is based on a BMW 4 series, which kind of makes a little more sense.

Still loads of work to get from this

2013 MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS – 3.0 E350 CDI BLUETEC AMG SPORT CABRIOLET 7G  TRONIC P – Stonebridge Essex

To this.

v6ep8tJh.jpg

I usually buy parts for my cars prior to any garage visit however I avoided doing this with the Cavalier timing belt job today as I knew that 1.6 small block stuff would arrive and I'd be out of pocket (mine has the big block 1.6).

Sure enough the garage phoned at lunchtime and said that they'd been provided with the wrong kit.  Thankfully they got the part numbers off the old belt (can't have been too bad then) and they will arrive at 4pm today. I'll get the car back tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the 75 oil level has gone back down to full again.  My theory is that if there was a leak in the pump, it would cause the car to take longer to start and would not run well. I'm going to take it to the Superbikes at Knockhill  on Saturday and then check the level again next week. I may just accept that now, for some unknown reason, the oil level goes up and then down again.

7 hours ago, Yoss said:

That's very close but not quite. Most notably the valve hole is at the end of a spoke on the Triumph wheel, and the ones pictured on the 500, but between spokes on the one above. Also that's only 13" the Triumph wheel is 14", which the ones on the 500 look more like, though of course they might come in different sizes. But I'm still going with PCD adapters. 

Not a difficult job (in a machine shop) to modify the hubs and brake discs / drums to suit the wheels.

Five spokes with four bolts though!  Can never look correct. 

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I wish Rover made a floppy top 75, they missed a trick there. Would have been a great "modern" replacement for the then-obsolete R8 cabs in my opinion 

I think the one above probably looks better than one that Rover would would have made themselves bearing in mind the budget they would have had available to them by that point. 

3 hours ago, Asimo said:

Not a difficult job (in a machine shop) to modify the hubs and brake discs / drums to suit the wheels.

Five spokes with four bolts though!  Can never look correct. 

No but it seems a lot of bother to go to on a standard 500, I'm going with @Jamiehere, PCD adapters.

By the way five spokes is the right number of spokes regardless of wheel nuts/bolts. I may* be biased. 

20170528144430_IMG_6943.thumb.JPG.734ffbe4d896fb2994ad396cc0bb525e.JPG

8 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

An interesting thread, especially in the last couple of pages where one longstanding member has the temerity to say he doesn't like it with several reasons explaining why whilst still stressing how much he appreciates the work that has gone in to it. Then another member slags him off for daring to have a different opinion and within about five posts the first member decides to sell all his 75s (he seems to have more than one, not sure of the exact details) and go away for ever and 'get his life back'. 

That seemed to happen about once a fortnight when I used to frequent the place (I had a ZT-T 190 for about five years). Nice to see nothing has changed. 

Could it be?  Have I found a solution that works?

IMAG6390.thumb.jpg.56316c79d376dff333301fc50989dd93.jpg

IMAG6391.thumb.jpg.cd683c42e5f777aafaad98482a3846f1.jpg

Parker Knoll type springs do hook onto the original diaphragm hooks nicely.  I'm going to have to make a panel to keep the springs aligned and add some support to the foam, but I already have some good thick canvas that should do very nicely for that job.  The only issue on a test sit has been that the springs are softer than the original diaphragm so the seat does bucket a bit *but* that will be counteracted by the canvas panel I'm putting in since the foam won't be able to push down and spread the springs apart so much... at least in theory.

Time will tell if third time really is the charm in trying to solve the collapsed seat base issue.

12 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Could it be?  Have I found a solution that works?

IMAG6390.thumb.jpg.56316c79d376dff333301fc50989dd93.jpg

IMAG6391.thumb.jpg.cd683c42e5f777aafaad98482a3846f1.jpg

Parker Knoll type springs do hook onto the original diaphragm hooks nicely.  I'm going to have to make a panel to keep the springs aligned and add some support to the foam, but I already have some good thick canvas that should do very nicely for that job.  The only issue on a test sit has been that the springs are softer than the original diaphragm so the seat does bucket a bit *but* that will be counteracted by the canvas panel I'm putting in since the foam won't be able to push down and spread the springs apart so much... at least in theory.

Time will tell if third time really is the charm in trying to solve the collapsed seat base issue.

I used a very similar method to rectify the collapsed driver's seat in my Reliant.  I used a flexible plastic sheet to spread the load between springs and foam.  Those springs are also very handy when making temporary repairs by the roadside e.g. to re-hang a sagging exhaust or to persuade a clutch pedal to return after certain types of failure.  Mine all came from an old settee that I took to the tip - not before salvaging anything that looked useful. 

Got a couple of hundred knocked off the asking price as the front tyres were very low. Found a really good deal on the ATS website and managed to get a pair of Avon ZV7 for £140 odd fitted. No idea what they’re like but they sounded better than linglong and were really cheap for 18”. 

Didn’t get the rears as they are a pair and like new albeit a brand I’ve never heard of.

0CB4BEFF-7A8B-41F1-B64D-38C63C19BCA0.jpeg

563BB0E8-CFB7-4634-B93F-C3EBA7D72E2C.jpeg

13 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Got a couple of hundred knocked off the asking price as the front tyres were very low. Found a really good deal on the ATS website and managed to get a pair of Avon ZV7 for £140 odd fitted. No idea what they’re like but they sounded better than linglong and were really cheap for 18”. 

Didn’t get the rears as they are a pair and like new albeit a brand I’ve never heard of.

0CB4BEFF-7A8B-41F1-B64D-38C63C19BCA0.jpeg

563BB0E8-CFB7-4634-B93F-C3EBA7D72E2C.jpeg

They'll look like this after a year or two:

5d5011a2ee21c04409d65764.thumb.jpeg.04ac6cae40b27ca53d459fb09d280330.jpeg

Not really much of an issue, but Avon seem to use the worst rubber compound available. They're alright for high mileage usage, but they'll crack horribly if they last more than a couple of years tread wise

2 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

They'll look like this after a year or two:

5d5011a2ee21c04409d65764.thumb.jpeg.04ac6cae40b27ca53d459fb09d280330.jpeg

Not really much of an issue, but Avon seem to use the worst rubber compound available. They're alright for high mileage usage, but they'll crack horribly if they last more than a couple of years tread wise

knowing @JJ0063he's like me, that scirocco will be gone long before them cracks appear :lol:

1 minute ago, JJ0063 said:

This man knows the score. 

Although to be honest I do plan on keeping this a reasonable length of time, but if I get 2 years out of a pair of £70 a corner tyres I’ll be more than happy! 

Yeah you'll do fine, it's more so when people put them on the rear of something like a Focus, so they hardly have any tread wear at all when they become badly cracked

1 hour ago, Jazoli said:

Have you considered painting the wheels silver? These a such a nice design it's a shame to see them hidden in black (which I hate) :)

I would much, much prefer these in silver however the black is a professional job and there’s not a single scuff or mark on any of them so I currently can’t bring myself to spend £300 having them painted. I totally agree with you and it’s something I’d certainly like to do one day!

I pay monthly for web hosting. It was £3.95 a months, which always thought was extremely cheap for windows hosting TBH and the service is pretty good.

I had an email saying it's gone from £3.95 to £17.95 a month.  Has electricity  gone up so much that it justifies a 400% price increase or did they just release they'd be hopelessly undercharging.

Am I motivated enough to move providers? No probably not.

Despite my unloading attempt being an absolute failure last night (exhaust dropped off in transit and I didn't spot it until it snagged halfway off the deck!!) she's here safe:

2.thumb.jpg.7541a847e51a43d39a04fa2349ad2e6d.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.cf7a2396af47d57855ae3f97e4de77de.jpg

The intention last night was to unload it down at the tool shed I share with a mate to avoid bringing it home needlessly. Still, that should give the neighbours something to talk about for a bit.

Once she's off the trailer I'll do a proper write up in my thread to include last night's escapades and some decent photos of the car as she currently stands.

The Innocenti failed its MOT this morning, as I expected it would.  It didn't fail nearly as badly as I'd feared though.

image.png.a35bf5f15444ec9384744a9ef6fe8fbd.png

The passenger door does open, there's just a bit of a knack to it.  Binding rear brake is presumably because it's been sat and should be easy enough to sort.  The fog lamp is an odd one though.  It's like that by design - I've seen the same thing on other cars in the past (Renault 5 springs to mind).  I think it's done on the principle that one shouldn't be using one's main beams in foggy conditions anyway.  Not sure how to get around that, other than wiring up a separate switch with a feed directly from one of the sidelights...