The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Sick ICE install in the EP2 this afternoon using the finest* quality audio equipment from Amazon. 

Why Honda designed it so you had to pull the full fucking centre console out rather than stick a couple of stereo key holes in I'll never know. The aftermarket fascia didn't fit either so that was frisbeed into the bin. 

The car has been brought right into 2007 with the upgrade. 

Bonus leg shot for the ladies/gheys 

20220614_115615.jpg

20220614_121701.jpg

20220614_134931.jpg

20220614_133049.jpg

Alloys fitted today. I won’t be lowering it so everyone can breathe a sigh of relief 😅  

I think they really suit it. However the original bolts are too long, and look silly. It needs the flat ones which are on order. The annoying thing is the front hub nut bolt extends too far out and pushes the centre cap off. Can’t seem to think of any solutions to this though, so for now it drives without them on the front. Spacers perhaps? Or grind back the nut a few mm? I am going to have a look around for some different centre caps instead most likely.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Keeping everything insanely clean is a challenge. Bosch slathered everything in black paint from the factory so when undoing screws, it flakes off and onto my work area.

I removed one cylinder head and replaced the main o ring, valve gallery plastic and rubber o rings (small cylindrical part) and the valve cage washer (oval part).

20220614_171342.thumb.jpg.d464cadf1d7f3262a2471dadf20ba058.jpg

20220614_171351.thumb.jpg.9f84cc7e19d14b6dc135dcc37765034d.jpg

Everything was covered back over with a plastic dust membrane as it's time for tea now.

My mojo has taken a nosedive today for some reason, probably work- related. Hopefully the timing belt change on the Cav will go OK at the garage tomorrow which will restore things no doubt.

3 hours ago, SRi05 said:

Sick ICE install in the EP2 this afternoon using the finest* quality audio equipment from Amazon. 

Why Honda designed it so you had to pull the full fucking centre console out rather than stick a couple of stereo key holes in I'll never know. The aftermarket fascia didn't fit either so that was frisbeed into the bin. 

20220614_115615.jpg

20220614_121701.jpg

20220614_134931.jpg

20220614_133049.jpg

Looking good man. Nice shiny knob....did it cure the crunch in 2nd? 😂 im still trippin over that feckin gearbox....will defo get it over to you

3 hours ago, sims00 said:

Alloys fitted today. I won’t be lowering it so everyone can breathe a sigh of relief 😅  

I think they really suit it. However the original bolts are too long, and look silly. It needs the flat ones which are on order. The annoying thing is the front hub nut bolt extends too far out and pushes the centre cap off. Can’t seem to think of any solutions to this though, so for now it drives without them on the front. Spacers perhaps? Or grind back the nut a few mm? I am going to have a look around for some different centre caps instead most likely.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Answered my own question on this one. 5mm universal spacers will give enough clearance to go forward to claw back the negative offset that these had. Boom. They arrive Thursday so hopefully before the end of the week it’ll look a lot neater rather than a bit of a mess.

12 minutes ago, chancer said:

Looking good man. Nice shiny knob....did it cure the crunch in 2nd? 😂 im still trippin over that feckin gearbox....will defo get it over to you

Funnily enough it's still there 🤔😂 I bought a nice leather gaitor for it as well but left it in work so that's tomorrow's job. Tidies up that centre console bit nicely. 

Driving around the 2nd gear crunch has become second nature to me now tbh, been using it constantly since petrol prices went nuts, Saab hardly gets used just now. 

On 6/13/2022 at 8:01 PM, JJ0063 said:

Had the Scirocco a couple of days now and kind of wished I’d done it sooner. 

Not a car I’d ever considered, never really stood out as a car I particularly liked. After all the issues selling the T4 it’s genuinely put me off changing cars so buying something normal and simple was on the cards.

Ticking all the boxes so far, very economical, nippy, nice place to be and a cracking stereo. 

FEE3C9D4-E5AE-4A07-9120-47CC748A0EEF.jpeg

1F105D1D-5859-4FC0-AF28-68201FF8798D.jpeg

petrol or dinosaur powered?

7 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I've got your old one up to 28mpg now,  book figure is 27 🤣 I haven't been shy with it either. I don't do a lot of miles though tbf.

Mine only gets 22 in town, which is the majority of its trips. Bit sore these days 😂 just over 40 on the civic, no brainer at the moment 

On 6/13/2022 at 8:25 PM, Yoss said:

Don't know what's going on here. I managed to almost surreptitiously snap this today. 

IMG_20220613_121021_edit_576333079078723.thumb.jpg.a9dc6347ebcae48261ab6059c6d59d6d.jpg

A Fiat 500 you say. But those are Triumph Stag/2500S alloys. They're not just similar, they are identical. 

Triumph_2500_PI_Mk2_in_Morges_2013_-_Left.thumb.jpg.31f7d3e72e01e1bfea7ccedf141aed5d.jpg

british-v8-org-aj.jpg.ba7ed1f61c097c105b2304a748e5f30f.jpg

But the PCD isn't anywhere near the same. The Fiat is 4x98 and the Triumph 4x114. So if you were really keen you could fill the original holes and re drill them. Except, on both cars the wheel nuts appear to be central in the inner black circle. If you redrilled them to 4x98 surely the wheel nuts would be practically touching the centre cap.

I wonder if the same design was used on an old Italian car. The Triumphs are a Michelotti design, maybe he designed the wheels as well and so felt he could use them again on something else.

It's got me stumped. They do look good though. 

PCD adaptors? Ive ran 5x100 wheels on a 5x112 car before - 20mm in dia which allow the wheels to bolt into the adaptor 

13 minutes ago, Jamie said:

PCD adaptors? Ive ran 5x100 wheels on a 5x112 car before - 20mm in dia which allow the wheels to bolt into the adaptor 

Aah, indeed. 

Screenshot_20220614_214009_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.d03a5df9a1e6af5eeb61fcfb9719c1dd.jpg

Such things do exist. It seems obvious now you've said it but that hadn't even occurred to me. 

5 hours ago, SRi05 said:

20220614_115615.jpg

20220614_121701.jpg

20220614_134931.jpg

20220614_133049.jpg

Fitting a stereo to one of these killed several of my screwdriver bits. When I took them to get replaced at halfrauds they said "we've never seen them do that before" but given I've since sheared off about half of the bits in the set I think they were lying.

2 hours ago, SRi05 said:

Funnily enough it's still there 🤔😂 I bought a nice leather gaitor for it as well but left it in work so that's tomorrow's job. Tidies up that centre console bit nicely. 

Driving around the 2nd gear crunch has become second nature to me now tbh, been using it constantly since petrol prices went nuts, Saab hardly gets used just now. 

Its a crackin wee car, i regret not having spent more time using it. 1st to 2nd is ok, if you match the revs it will go in nicely, but 3rd to 2nd just dont happen. Glad its gone to a good home and getting some use. Now when you looking to buy a van? 😂

The new battery for the Volvo arrived today, so this evening I went out and fitted it - it's the correct 075 rather than the 096 which was shoehorned in there before so it went in a lot easier.  Started the car to straighten it up in its space and the rear brakes had completely freed off.  So I'm now wondering whether the issue is collapsed flexis rather than stuck calipers - that'd explain why the brakes were such a PITA to vacuum bleed.  I think I'll invest in a new pair of flexis and see if that improves matters before I take the calipers off and start buggering about with those.

I took the Jag in to Norwich and as soon as I hit traffic it started playing up - chugging at idle and then putting out a massive cloud of clag when I put my foot down.  It's obviously overfuelling quite badly.  Eventually it went into "restricted performance" mode.  On the way home it went into RP mode shortly after I started it, but other than the lack of power it ran beautifully - no black smoke, no chugging or other shenanigans.

I plugged the laptop in when I got home and this time it gave me two fault codes.  One was to do with the EGR valve (it didn't specify which) flowing too much gas - which I suppose is logical.  The other was an injector fault - the problem is that it was a fault with the injector on cylinder 4, which is the one that was brand new a few months ago.  So I'm now wondering if that wasn't coded in properly - although the laptop said it was something to do with voltage at the injector rather than flow, but the wiring all looks OK and as I say it was running smoothly on the way home.

So I now need to decide whether I try to find someone who can diagnose it properly, or whether to cut my losses and try to sell it as it is - it's still perfectly drivable if you ignore the smoke, it's never actually FTP'd and it still runs fine when you floor it.  It's got a few months' MOT left on it so someone might want it to have a play with.  I do like the old crate though apart from the overfuelling issue.

11 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

So I'm now wondering whether the issue is collapsed flexis rather than stuck calipers

I'm sure you know this already but surely just crack the bleeders off when it's playing up? By releasing any hydraulic pressure, if the brake freed up after doing that, it confirms if it's the hydraulics causing the sticking or if it is indeed still locked up then the caliper or associated hardware.

Hopefully that would save replacing any parts unnecessarily 

Yes in theory, but given the difficulties I've had getting anything at all to come out of the bleed nipples I'm not convinced that'd work.  Although I suppose before I was trying to bleed it down from the master cylinder, whereas in this scenario I'd be releasing pressure that is already inside the caliper, so it might work...

5 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Yes in theory, but given the difficulties I've had getting anything at all to come out of the bleed nipples I'm not convinced that'd work.  Although I suppose before I was trying to bleed it down from the master cylinder, whereas in this scenario I'd be releasing pressure that is already inside the caliper, so it might work...

A pressure bleeder should do the trick, if you're not getting anything out of the nipples then I'd say collapsed hoses are likely 

What Volvo are we talking by the way? Assuming modern ish?

On 6/13/2022 at 8:25 PM, Yoss said:

Don't know what's going on here. I managed to almost surreptitiously snap this today. 

IMG_20220613_121021_edit_576333079078723.thumb.jpg.a9dc6347ebcae48261ab6059c6d59d6d.jpg

A Fiat 500 you say. But those are Triumph Stag/2500S alloys. They're not just similar, they are identical. 

Triumph_2500_PI_Mk2_in_Morges_2013_-_Left.thumb.jpg.31f7d3e72e01e1bfea7ccedf141aed5d.jpg

british-v8-org-aj.jpg.ba7ed1f61c097c105b2304a748e5f30f.jpg

But the PCD isn't anywhere near the same. The Fiat is 4x98 and the Triumph 4x114. So if you were really keen you could fill the original holes and re drill them. Except, on both cars the wheel nuts appear to be central in the inner black circle. If you redrilled them to 4x98 surely the wheel nuts would be practically touching the centre cap.

I wonder if the same design was used on an old Italian car. The Triumphs are a Michelotti design, maybe he designed the wheels as well and so felt he could use them again on something else.

It's got me stumped. They do look good though. 

Could be these?