The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

7 minutes ago, J W Pepper said:

What is the first check website you use?

special paid for commercial tool that I use mainly for Invacar research which I have thrown far too much money at!

this Austin 7 was getting the better of my curiosity so I fed it in to see its fine details :) 

(I could see with https://www.carbaba.co.uk/ that the reg mark was only on retention and still last on the Austin 7 it came off of so this gave me enough info to find its current plate, if the plate had been already assigned to another vehicle then I would not of been able to find its current plate)

1 minute ago, LightBulbFun said:

special paid for commercial tool that I use mainly for Invacar research which I have thrown far too much money at!

this Austin 7 was getting the better of my curiosity so I fed it in to see its fine details :) 

(I could see with https://www.carbaba.co.uk/ that the reg mark was only on retention and still last on the Austin 7 it came off of so this gave me enough info to find its current plate, if the plate had been already assigned to another vehicle then I would not of been able to find its current plate)

Thanks

9 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

It's here!!😀

Many thanks to @Inspector Morose and @worldofceri for their excellent collection and delivery service.

It's definitely exactly as described and the engine is smooth right from startup. So unless it's lost 5th or something, we're all good!

Delighted to have a Cav back on fleet again.

20220603_101748.jpg

That is a driveway absolutely full to the brim with WINNING.

Nope what's that?

We went on to York designer outlet from there. I've put nearly a thousand miles on the 107 in the last week.

I went to Bromyard festival of speed* last week. Averaging 80-90 mph I got a real world 59mpg with it. It's very long geared and seems very happy at 85 which is about 3250rpm.

17 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Nope what's that?

We went on to York designer outlet from there. I've put nearly a thousand miles on the 107 in the last week.

I went to Bromyard festival of speed* last week. Averaging 80-90 mph I got a real world 59mpg with it. It's very long geared and seems very happy at 85 which is about 3250rpm.

They have a much bigger and new garage/compound/storage around 4 miles along the road, at a industrial estate just before Pickering. There are photos in the bangers and cash thread in the open pages.

image.jpeg.d7bb2a2e3861a3ae23a7c3172ba565d2.jpeg 

May be an image of outdoors

12 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

@LightBulbFun  Just for interest, I put my BMW in to CarBaba to see what it value might be. 10 seconds later, I got a call  from 07483815880  and an email from them asking if its auto or manual, and when can they come and get it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

7 minutes ago, bobdisk said:

@LightBulbFun  Just for interest, I put my BMW in to CarBaba to see what it value might be. 10 seconds later, I got a call  from 07483815880  and an email from them asking if its auto or manual, and when can they come and get it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

LOL :) 

I (and probably most of us) just abuse their initial vehicle information section of their valuation tool to pull info on old cars, as it spits out far more info then even half the paid tools out there do LOL (it uses the same back end as my commercial tool and spits out the same info the only thing it does not spit out is plate history and VIN numbers)

I think your the first person to actually use their valuation service for real! 

someone in the office probably went "Oh holy shit someones actually done more then just look up the keeper count of a Talbot Tagora! this is not a drill everyone"

6 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

K11 Micra 1.0 vibe 2001 ...where tf is the heater resistor thing hidden ... It's been mentioned before but I can't find a thread .... Help please 🤞

Have you tried removing the glovebox? On an N15 Almera it's a credit card sized & shaped thing that lives in the fresh air duct sort of level with the passenger's right shin. Not sure if the k11 is the same, but that would be where I'd start looking. 

Yep, the very same 😟 On the positive side, at least I know why the EML's been coming on recently. And it hasn't been overheating, so the head shouldn't need any work. Probably. I hope.

Not sure what to do with it yet - MOT's up next month, and it's got a couple of other potential issues. I'm happy to attempt the HG myself, so I suppose the worst result will be that I get some spannering practice in.

Well, I’ve tried my best.

I’ve been avoiding the eBay thread, the for sales section here, marketplace, scumtree… all the usual places where I see ropey cars that I really shouldn’t buy.

A few days ago I was walking round some units with a friend, potentially planning some yard space…

A34E75CE-D049-493E-BDDF-3A1876E16BAB.thumb.jpeg.1cb29df57eab479cdfd2c8b85cec6e1f.jpeg

Oh dear… my mate asks if it’s something I’d want to buy. To which the answer is of course. Apparently he knows who owns it and will put the feelers out in the week once everyone is back at work. Here’s hoping they want to keep it because they’re definitely going to restore it one day or they want daft money and I won’t be able to justify it 😅

To make things worse, I was recently talking to another mate about ideal family wagons. I came up with the Audi 100 Avant as a sensible* choice. Which triggered a memory. Earlier this year I saw one advertised for not a lot of money. Convinced it was gone, I checked my bookmarks just to have a look… advert still up, still no change of keeper in a decade according to DVLA website. Only one thing for it then; I’ve contacted the seller and I’m seeing it Thursday evening 😅

86317488-5B25-4FDE-9235-91007E8B3FFB.jpeg.f197c3664207a9f03f4e33c1d2c7e39b.jpeg

I wonder if I’m at the point yet where my partner can’t remember what I’ve got up at the farm and wont question this appearing on the driveway!

19 hours ago, MrDuke said:

Yep, the very same 😟 On the positive side, at least I know why the EML's been coming on recently. And it hasn't been overheating, so the head shouldn't need any work. Probably. I hope.

Not sure what to do with it yet - MOT's up next month, and it's got a couple of other potential issues. I'm happy to attempt the HG myself, so I suppose the worst result will be that I get some spannering practice in.

Assuming the oil has also gone creamy? 

Oil + water mixing is almost certainly OMGHGF on a K-Series. Sometimes when it's coolant consumption you're lucky and it turns out to be just the inlet manifold gasket. 

But oil and water will be HGF

Yes if it hasn't overheated, the head should be fine. 

Any history of whether it's had the head gasket done before? 

The MG Rover mobile mechanics do it mobile for about £350 iirc, might be worth getting them to do it?

It's important to do it right otherwise it'll happen again 

But I'd stick it in for a test first, if the floorpans are rotten then it's probably a lost cause