The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

New scan tool arrived today. Reads+clears codes and live data on pretty much all model cars and on all their modules. Found all the same errors on the A4 that my genuine VCDS did. 

Basically when we all got told that DIY'ers wouldn't be able to diagnose modern cars or even read+clear their error codes, these cheap diag tools makes that a fallacy. Just under £270 and it arrived next day from Amazon.

The DS150e knock offs that you can buy are okay but don't do modern stuff (basically around 2012 on aren't properly supported) nor Porsche. I had no way of scanning my Boxster and 2015 Civic. Even the Civic isn't exactly new now. 

Plus having something stand alone is waaaay less hassle than dragging a laptop out, that inevitably has a knackered battery, just to read+clear a code quickly.

PXL_20220520_172415448.jpg

36 minutes ago, SiC said:

New scan tool arrived today. Reads+clears codes and live data on pretty much all model cars and on all their modules. Found all the same errors on the A4 that my genuine VCDS did. 

Basically when we all got told that DIY'ers wouldn't be able to diagnose modern cars or even read+clear their error codes, these cheap diag tools makes that a fallacy. Just under £270 and it arrived next day from Amazon.

The DS150e knock offs that you can buy are okay but don't do modern stuff (basically around 2012 on aren't properly supported) nor Porsche. I had no way of scanning my Boxster and 2015 Civic. Even the Civic isn't exactly new now. 

Plus having something stand alone is waaaay less hassle than dragging a laptop out, that inevitably has a knackered battery, just to read+clear a code quickly.

PXL_20220520_172415448.jpg

I really do need to get one of these.

More Saab weldage. This was the most complex bit (OSF wing/inner wing) where multiple panels meet, and there are curves and swage lines to deal with.

Inner wing first, chop chop

20220520_110043

Luckily I made a template of the shape before it fell apart. Joggled and a return formed for the trim to grip onto

20220520_121136

Then cut out the bottom of the wing including the lip it welds to as it was rotten, so had to form a new one, this looking from underneath

20220520_135006

And looking down from under the bonnet

20220520_135025

It may not be clear what I've done here but there's now another plate behind the inner wing repair so it's double skinned, this is actually to form the wheelarch lip but thought I might as well go right up to my cut

20220520_144802

Next I made this guy

20220520_160043

Which is now the bottom of the wing

20220520_162324

Typically as I was welding this I ran out of gas, just a small panel to make the rest of the lower wing and I'll be finished. Lip is there to weld this section to

52086833921_59541fa499_o.thumb.jpg.7400b6c6116dbb112abf879fbcfa94be.jpg

Been reading through another early 20th century book on car mechanics I've bought. This one, which has a title that can roughly be translated to "The automobile, handbook for motorists, mechanics and repairmen" is excellent, with lots of advice regarding makeshift roadside repairs, which were often needed 100-odd years ago.

DIY wheel alignment, 1910s style:

IMG_20220519_214720.thumb.jpg.b45821ac0899037031f11a052d32f51b.jpg

MoT on the MG is due beginning of next month, drove past the MoT place on my way home from work to pop in and see the chap who does them and asked how busy he was. Got a few spaces tomorrow was his reply, as he was backing a Rover 45 off his ramp.

So I foolishly booked it in tomorrow. It was pissing with rain which unveils issue one. The wiper linkeage balljoint has popped off, and only the drivers wiper works. That’s a fail. 
D926EC73-96BE-44C7-817D-B974651FD5AB.jpeg

The kids are in bed, so Come on then let’s be aving you… 

EEB9D9D2-5A91-4377-8EA4-BCBB5150C6E5.jpeg

Its somewhere behind that lot, but a temporary fix has clearly been rigged and failed before. It’s not my first rodeo with temporary fixes for broken wiper ball joints, so and elaborate system of zip ties later and my repair should hold for a couple of weeks so I can get the bits. To be honest as long as it holds through the MoT that’s fine with me! 

Next guaranteed fail is that the passenger door doesn’t operate from the inside, thankfully that’s just a case of fiddling with the handle and tightening everything up.

So that’s the two simple fails done, can’t see anything else obvious. Which means it’ll fail ok something major no doubt! It’s only done 1700 miles ish since the last mot… so hopefully it goes ok! 

Just got back from the opticians, many pennies lighter, and have new specs on the way.  I'm a bit overdue because of *waves hands at world*.  Prescription hasn't changed much, but just enough to push me into needing varifocals.  Hope I get on okay with them, it'll be nice to not do the specs shuffle when I'm working on the car with instructions, or when I'm checking stuff in the supermarket.

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

Just got back from the opticians, many pennies lighter, and have new specs on the way.  I'm a bit overdue because of *waves hands at world*.  Prescription hasn't changed much, but just enough to push me into needing varifocals.  Hope I get on okay with them, it'll be nice to not do the specs shuffle when I'm working on the car with instructions, or when I'm checking stuff in the supermarket.

It will take a while to get used to them, hope they work OK for you.

MoT result: FAIL

Thankfully both of my fixes passed, couple of trifling things (TRE & a tyre had a cut on the back) but could we get the emissions to come in under the limits? Could we bollocks. 

That’s why I usually stick to pre 2000 stuff! 

50 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Thankfully both of my fixes passed, couple of trifling things (TRE & a tyre had a cut on the back) but could we get the emissions to come in under the limits? Could we bollocks. 

So from your list that is either your Elgrand or MG ZS EV!

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

The K series Elise’s can have emissions issues for the MOT.  

It seems to be that the Cat needs to be hotter than the surface of the sun to get everything in order!

Nice warm day today.  Spent the morning (or what was left of it by the time I dragged my sorry arse out of bed) pottering about and going to the post office to pick up some eBay purchases which had come while I was out.  Then @Lankytim came to pick up the Laguna, and while he was here we had a play with the Volvo and Tim ascertained that it's only firing on the rear three cylinders.  A test using a handy bolt showed that the front cylinders had a spark, so it's obviously still a fuelling issue, which my expert* carb fettling has failed to remedy.  So the front carb is going to have to come off again for further investigation.

Once Tim had headed off westward I stuck the 107 up on the ramps to crack on with the brake pipe replacement.  It went about as smoothly as such an intrinsically unpleasant job could reasonably have been expected to go - everything came undone, even the manky rear union unscrewed from the flexi easily enough once I'd hacksawed through the pipe and got an Irwin on the nut.  One of the purchase I'd picked up from the post office in the morning was a replacement wheel cylinder as the bleed nipple had sheared off on the original cylinder - for the sake of £12.93 I thought I might as well treat it to a new one.  To my surprise the drum came off easily, the wheel cylinder mounting bolt came out fine and the cylinder popped out with just a gentle bit of prodding with a screwdriver, and the new one went in just as easily.

20220521_163132.thumb.jpg.722c277d382e97b7b98b946cdec3780c.jpg

Ooh, shiny!

Getting the new pipe on and routed sort-of-properly was a faff, but I knew it would be.  Most of the retaining clips had snapped off when I was removing the old pipe so I routed the new pipe through the channels and then held it in place with teeny tiny cable ties.  A fair bit of bending and wiggling was needed to make sure the pipe didn't foul or chafe on anything, and when I got to the front I found I had far too much pipe so I had to loop it round on itself before I could connect it up.  I thought I'd got my measurements wrong but I later noticed that I'd cut a corner at the back compared to the original routing which is probably where most of the excess came from.  Still, it's on there now, and I've got most of the brake fluid off my arms and out of my hair.  I didn't even need to bleed the brakes - I just opened the rear bleed nipple on the new cylinder with the front of the car still up on the ramps and it wasn't long before a trickle of fluid came out.  The pedal seems fine, so I'm going to leave it at that - I now just need to book it in for an MOT and keep everything crossed that the EML deigns to stay off.

I went out in the Jag last night, and I'm beginning to think that what I thought was a noisy tappet is in fact an injector on its way out - it started missfiring at one stage and when I put my foot down to clear it, the tapping got really loud momentarily until the engine cleared its throat and picked up, so I think the noise is diesel knock rather than anything "mechanical".  Annoyingly the car isn't showing any fault codes so I can't immediately ascertain which injector is the problem - I know it had a new one at the last MOT but I'm not even sure whether that one can be discounted or whether it was maybe not coded in properly and is playing up.  My Delphi knock-off doesn't seem to be able to display things like injector flow rates for this engine so I might have to take it to somebody with more Jaguar-specific diagnostic equipment - I'm kind of loath to do that though as I did say that I wouldn't start throwing money at it if it went wrong - but if it can be sorted for a couple of hundred quid then it's worth doing...

8 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Take it easy when you first use them, it makes the world a strange looking place, things that you no are dead straight start to become curved in your periphery vision. Worth persevering with though, I still automatically look over my specs for close up things after 10 years of the varifocals!

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Nice warm day today.  Spent the morning (or what was left of it by the time I dragged my sorry arse out of bed) pottering about and going to the post office to pick up some eBay purchases which had come while I was out.  Then @Lankytim came to pick up the Laguna, and while he was here we had a play with the Volvo and Tim ascertained that it's only firing on the rear three cylinders.  A test using a handy bolt showed that the front cylinders had a spark, so it's obviously still a fuelling issue, which my expert* carb fettling has failed to remedy.  So the front carb is going to have to come off again for further investigation.

Once Tim had headed off westward I stuck the 107 up on the ramps to crack on with the brake pipe replacement.  It went about as smoothly as such an intrinsically unpleasant job could reasonably have been expected to go - everything came undone, even the manky rear union unscrewed from the flexi easily enough once I'd hacksawed through the pipe and got an Irwin on the nut.  One of the purchase I'd picked up from the post office in the morning was a replacement wheel cylinder as the bleed nipple had sheared off on the original cylinder - for the sake of £12.93 I thought I might as well treat it to a new one.  To my surprise the drum came off easily, the wheel cylinder mounting bolt came out fine and the cylinder popped out with just a gentle bit of prodding with a screwdriver, and the new one went in just as easily.

20220521_163132.thumb.jpg.722c277d382e97b7b98b946cdec3780c.jpg

Ooh, shiny!

Getting the new pipe on and routed sort-of-properly was a faff, but I knew it would be.  Most of the retaining clips had snapped off when I was removing the old pipe so I routed the new pipe through the channels and then held it in place with teeny tiny cable ties.  A fair bit of bending and wiggling was needed to make sure the pipe didn't foul or chafe on anything, and when I got to the front I found I had far too much pipe so I had to loop it round on itself before I could connect it up.  I thought I'd got my measurements wrong but I later noticed that I'd cut a corner at the back compared to the original routing which is probably where most of the excess came from.  Still, it's on there now, and I've got most of the brake fluid off my arms and out of my hair.  I didn't even need to bleed the brakes - I just opened the rear bleed nipple on the new cylinder with the front of the car still up on the ramps and it wasn't long before a trickle of fluid came out.  The pedal seems fine, so I'm going to leave it at that - I now just need to book it in for an MOT and keep everything crossed that the EML deigns to stay off.

I went out in the Jag last night, and I'm beginning to think that what I thought was a noisy tappet is in fact an injector on its way out - it started missfiring at one stage and when I put my foot down to clear it, the tapping got really loud momentarily until the engine cleared its throat and picked up, so I think the noise is diesel knock rather than anything "mechanical".  Annoyingly the car isn't showing any fault codes so I can't immediately ascertain which injector is the problem - I know it had a new one at the last MOT but I'm not even sure whether that one can be discounted or whether it was maybe not coded in properly and is playing up.  My Delphi knock-off doesn't seem to be able to display things like injector flow rates for this engine so I might have to take it to somebody with more Jaguar-specific diagnostic equipment - I'm kind of loath to do that though as I did say that I wouldn't start throwing money at it if it went wrong - but if it can be sorted for a couple of hundred quid then it's worth doing...

It was great meeting you today, pity we couldn’t get the Volvo to run right but at least there’s some progress of sorts. I was going to do a collection thread but the journey was pretty uneventful so I’ll stick the pics here. Wuv treated me to a ride out in his Renault 6 which was amazing fun! It’s given me the mojo to get my crocks on the road, especially the Visa! 

The drive home in the Laguna was great, it’s a pretty nice car. Hopefully I’ll be able to improve it and fix some of the issues it has. 

0EDB51D1-9671-4A52-A607-EA36A50EF505.jpeg

7C88F27F-99A5-4F33-94D2-9E8E7F9FC3CB.jpeg

487734D9-CC32-47E9-8515-8ED1AA68E2BE.jpeg

04645C04-D20B-42B4-B062-D4693414A45A.jpeg

08D3B776-0BF3-40B0-8C8A-0A37B0635A51.jpeg

On 3/11/2022 at 12:02 PM, SRi05 said:

Some of you may remember this Honda from the roffle thread a few weeks ago:

20220226_102857.jpg

20220226_102835.jpg

20220226_102908.jpg

20220226_102851.jpg

20220304_124953.jpg

Scrubs up not too bad eh  ? I made the mammoth collection of around 3 miles from my house and it had sat on the drive for a week as I was busy at work. Finally took it out for a wash & a little get to know you drive & a short time later a brake hose decided to shit about 5 billion litres of fluid out on the way home which was a laugh*  So it was immobilised for another week or so till yesterday when it was finally replaced.

I'm trying to sweet talk a mechanic I know into swapping the gearbox over, it has a known issue dropping down from 3rd to 2nd gear were it makes an extremely unpleasant crunch, I can drive around it for now though. Plan is to get it through it's MOT in May and take it from there. I'll probably use it more than an I initially thought due to petrol prices being OMFG, makes sense when the rest of the fleet are thirsty bastards.

Overall VELLY PLEASED

yes-gladiator.gif.430c8926fbe229fc1ca5cf4e894e1413.gif

2065896217_Screenshot_20220522-085145_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.fed2a9c39ef84c354bbab61bd0c8c79f.jpg

21 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Just to add my experience. When I first got them, I found it difficult to get use to things like the edge of stair treads, steps and the like. Just be careful when you first start wearing them.

49 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Superb man, that's a bonny example.  Did you get the box changed?

Not yet, I was waiting to see what the script was come MOT time before going baw deep in it. I'll be looking to get it done though as it's a really nice wee motor. 

It's needed a couple of brake lines and an ABS sensor which were done prior to the MOT, then a big fat FAIL came in due to a bit of rot under the driver seat rail. Aberdeen registered car gonna Aberdeen. Permitted the man to attack it with the sparkly stick and it's all good. No other worries corrosion wise thankfully. 

On 11/06/2021 at 08:23, Aston Martin said:

The X-class is pointless anyway, but I've just seen it in Dacia Sandero spec... In 2021.... On a "Mercedes" 🙁

84944940-2505-4679-B163-3D12CED34389.png

OK, now imagine a Sandero exterior.... And for whatever reason. They make the interior in fabulous brown leather and real wooden dash.

The wooden dash may or may not be a sticker. 😎

C012805C-8A18-410F-98FD-3C9F9ECB0D2D.png

AC8C3CFC-1E2E-40A3-8C26-066F6B2527B5.png

9D6E9340-04AD-44C0-AA78-1368B8655687.png

0A9D35BA-CB45-4227-8411-03BBF2DDAA5A.png