The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

5 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Not the most confident tower, ok going forwards, shit at reversing.  But where's the fun in paying someone else to do it*? Trailer hire and a number plate (they wouldn't let me make one with cardboard) was £70, obvs I found I had a legit spare plate after I'd bought the new one. Anyhow, went surprisingly easily, albeit for maybe 10 miles in total. Some daft cow tried to COME AT ME, BRO in a Clio but soon realised she was fucked as the parked cars were on her side of the road. Anyhow, even managed to reverse it (unloaded) 3 times without too much hassle and get it back in one piece....

ASTOWCARSPECIAL.thumb.jpg.a84b82c3ccc087f72e12f09cd2f32ca0.jpg

Car on trailer is too far forward unless engine is in the boot.   Hence van is on it's @rse.

You need a bit of nose weight, but not to that extent.

32 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

We've been in our current house for 11 years and are now clearing the place out.

20220511_203233.thumb.jpg.3a1fe11f30dbbf7748b6ae8b44c4f7d0.jpg

Unbelievable that this is all my wife, son and I's hoarded crap from over that time.

It's mainly stuff we have tried to sell then give away but to no avail.

Very therapeutic!

Is there a bed in there or did you manage to get rid of that in the end?

8 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Not the most confident tower, ok going forwards, shit at reversing.  But where's the fun in paying someone else to do it*? Trailer hire and a number plate (they wouldn't let me make one with cardboard) was £70, obvs I found I had a legit spare plate after I'd bought the new one. Anyhow, went surprisingly easily, albeit for maybe 10 miles in total. Some daft cow tried to COME AT ME, BRO in a Clio but soon realised she was fucked as the parked cars were on her side of the road. Anyhow, even managed to reverse it (unloaded) 3 times without too much hassle and get it back in one piece....

ASTOWCARSPECIAL.thumb.jpg.a84b82c3ccc087f72e12f09cd2f32ca0.jpg

A mate of mine said VOSA told his dad's uncle's first wife that towing weights and all that bollocks don't matter, as long as you have cheap flashing lights on the roof of your van, and they are forward facing ones (but facing the back) with the white lights gone over with red masking tape. 

AStowcarspecialagain.thumb.jpg.55245f02e601bd3195acb014089f6fe4.jpg

*I tried, but my M8 was too busy.

🎶 King of the road...

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

We've been in our current house for 11 years and are now clearing the place out.

20220511_203233.thumb.jpg.3a1fe11f30dbbf7748b6ae8b44c4f7d0.jpg

Unbelievable that this is all my wife, son and I's hoarded crap from over that time.

It's mainly stuff we have tried to sell then give away but to no avail.

Very therapeutic!

Do you have any pictures of the skip? You seem to have accidentally uploaded a picture of the average motor vehicle driven by the general public nowadays 😛

8 hours ago, stuboy said:

20220511_122336.jpg

if you dont mind me asking, whats happening with the garage itself? more specifically that fluorescent fixture in shot? I ask, as its a pretty rare Atlas Atlantic 2 from the early 1960's that id love to see saved if possible and I would be more then happy to take it off your hands if its being removed or such! :) 

DSC00395.thumb.jpeg.84f4c01b08b18bcc1afe22881d1dc434.jpeg

I've owned my Volvo for 6 months now and never washed it. I don't do many miles so it never really got that bad.

Today after work I took it to a jet wash. It's been so long since I washed a car I did a pretty shite job, would have been better paying an extra £4 and getting it done at the hand car wash. Oh well.

20220512_172316.thumb.jpg.2b0cf56d24671c0b771ece8dd7d47d54.jpg

On 5/11/2022 at 11:57 AM, LightBulbFun said:

if you dont mind me asking, whats happening with the garage itself? more specifically that fluorescent fixture in shot? I ask, as its a pretty rare Atlas Atlantic 2 from the early 1960's that id love to see saved if possible and I would be more then happy to take it off your hands if its being removed or such! :) 

DSC00395.thumb.jpeg.84f4c01b08b18bcc1afe22881d1dc434.jpeg

house being sold and garage cleared

So, I took the new Fav along to the local Škoda meeting. It's called a Škoda meeting but it is almost all Octavia VRS's. Not that surprising really as VRS owners tend to be enthusiasts whereas people with a basic Fabia probably just want a car. Anyway I do my best to add to the variety with my fleet and thought I'd make quite an impression with my new one. 

But then somebody turned up with this! 

IMG_20220512_192618.thumb.jpg.a923106eee6526f662a222336518081e.jpg

IMG_20220512_191936.thumb.jpg.90e5b5ce1501b5e1a4f79d543122c2dc.jpg

IMG_20220512_185758.thumb.jpg.d17bde2f5076bd24cbf114ab3acc90a7.jpg

IMG_20220512_185810.thumb.jpg.f1f9364f38b83e903f87f3a2fc0edcda.jpg

IMG_20220512_192022_edit_439685126100617.thumb.jpg.dba57eb9538e5acd86d2dabb064576d1.jpg

I can't compete with that can I? Though I was very happy to be out shone. What a glorious car. They are now on my lottery win list as prices have gone stupid. Always wanted one and having a good look around this one hasn't changed my mind. 

Funny thing is we'd been there for half an hour before anybody noticed that the pub was shut! So a quick call was made to another local pub we have used before to see if they could feed 14 people at short notice. They could so off we all went. I followed the S110R and it went surprisingly well once he had an open road ahead. 

Of course most of the Octys are remapped and buggered about with to 300hp plus but I bet we were having more fun. 

IMG_20220512_205942.thumb.jpg.748a2ef1de9e972d27f5f694cff2682b.jpg

God I want this. 

Seat base collapsed on the Princess recently, I wasn't sure why but what I could see without removing the seat was potentially torn rubber webbing.  Wasn't sure how the seat base came apart, and was delighted to discover the diaphragm can be removed without dismantling the seat.  The new webbing I got is a good match for the original, and the fabric looks to be the same hessian as used on the Lanchester, of which we have some left over that was looking for a project.  All wins.  Only thing I'm not sure of is the best product to bond the webbing and the hessian together so I can make two new diaphragms.  The metal rods and hooks are re-usable except for one that has been cut for reasons unknown.

Failure seems to just be degraded rubber, the old webbing comes off on your hands like soot so even if I just put the passenger one (which is intact, but saggy) on the driver's seat I'm pretty sure it too would collapse and then I'd not have a good pattern to work from.

MVI_1868_Moment.thumb.jpg.5fe8c24febc8fcd6a889e98a12af7ccf.jpg

3 hours ago, stuboy said:

house being sold and garage cleared

if your able to save the fixture and hold onto it for me for when I am able to collect it or have it collected that would be much appreciated, id be more than happy to exchange a few beer tokens to make it worth while for you? :) (out of curiosity are there any other fixtures or fluorescent tubes in the garage?)

if its too much faff or such I understand! I just figured id ask to be safe rather then sorry :) 

8 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Seat base collapsed on the Princess recently, I wasn't sure why but what I could see without removing the seat was potentially torn rubber webbing.  Wasn't sure how the seat base came apart, and was delighted to discover the diaphragm can be removed without dismantling the seat.  The new webbing I got is a good match for the original, and the fabric looks to be the same hessian as used on the Lanchester, of which we have some left over that was looking for a project.  All wins.  Only thing I'm not sure of is the best product to bond the webbing and the hessian together so I can make two new diaphragms.  The metal rods and hooks are re-usable except for one that has been cut for reasons unknown.

Failure seems to just be degraded rubber, the old webbing comes off on your hands like soot so even if I just put the passenger one (which is intact, but saggy) on the driver's seat I'm pretty sure it too would collapse and then I'd not have a good pattern to work from.

MVI_1868_Moment.thumb.jpg.5fe8c24febc8fcd6a889e98a12af7ccf.jpg

Exactly the same failure I had on the Corolla, I’ll be watching with interest to see how you fix it (I presume your repair will less dodgy than my many loops of strong string around the seat frame).

Wife: have you been away all week, up to Scotland in the Volvo, gallivanting around eating haggis, drinking whisky and playing bagpipes?

Me: of course not dear, I promised I wouldn't do that again. I already told you,  I've been having an affair all week with Emma from accounts, honest!

Wife: (getting angry) I called your accounts office, there is no Emma! Open the boot!

20220513_131100.thumb.jpg.5a8e28687d7ab090127fdadd22085ca2.jpg

Me: really, there's no need for that, you probably got the wrong department...

Wife: (very angry) Open it!

Me: ok...

20220513_131121.thumb.jpg.a3a8f63025b0c037da1a86535df22c6e.jpg

Wife: ...

Me: Oh oh, busted. I can explain...

10 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Wife: have you been away all week, up to Scotland in the Volvo, gallivanting around eating haggis, drinking whisky and playing bagpipes?

Me: of course not dear, I promised I wouldn't do that again. I already told you,  I've been having an affair all week with Emma from accounts, honest!

Wife: (getting angry) I called your accounts office, there is no Emma! Open the boot!

20220513_131100.thumb.jpg.5a8e28687d7ab090127fdadd22085ca2.jpg

Me: really, there's no need for that, you probably got the wrong department...

Wife: (very angry) Open it!

Me: ok...

20220513_131121.thumb.jpg.a3a8f63025b0c037da1a86535df22c6e.jpg

Wife: ...

Me: Oh oh, busted. I can explain...

Wooft, you managed to catch 2 of them. Good effort!

Hare transplant 

20220513_143041.thumb.jpg.ab9365c192f31217f8275b942c68c84f.jpg

Went down to the storage to check on the Alvis. It was last out in February but started up fine.

It came to me without a mascot, but with a bolt through the rad cap where it had previously been. I had fitted a temporary one (a Spaniel) but found this one on Ebay. I did get an original Alvis one, which was a bit too nice to use. this one is very similar, but probably not quite correct.

On 5/12/2022 at 10:42 AM, LightBulbFun said:

if your able to save the fixture and hold onto it for me for when I am able to collect it or have it collected that would be much appreciated, id be more than happy to exchange a few beer tokens to make it worth while for you? :) (out of curiosity are there any other fixtures or fluorescent tubes in the garage?)

if its too much faff or such I understand! I just figured id ask to be safe rather then sorry :) 

i can try, dunno when next around there, even though its rough?

Carb linkage on the cortina is missing some bits but I managed to bodge it enough to get it working.

A quick run up the cairn o mount showed that the exhaust is knackered, my new seal on the tailgate is only reducing the intake of fumes slightly and the engine is running a bit rich. And there's something amiss in the steering.

I was grinning like the proverbial cat at the end of it.20220513_182715.thumb.jpg.8dfa29dd39351c21270bf98cfffa1b6e.jpg

5 minutes ago, stuboy said:

i can try, dunno when next around there, even though its rough?

ah thats much appreciated :) depends how rough is rough, how is the other end out of shot? im not worried about a bit of surface rust, it can be stripped back and repainted, but if it has broken lamp holders or such, then its probably game over sadly

but would still be good to strip for parts to help with other Atlas Atlantic 2's in other peoples collections :) 

Been to see my mate this evening and he felt well enough and wanted to take his new car out for once ( I go incase he feels unwell to return back), it was ok bit plastic ally and cheap and bouncy ride, and small, not my cup of tea.. I was happy to be back in the mondeo... well built .. solid.. more comfy seats..

Toyota Aygo (4).jpg