The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Decided to have a look at the PCV on the Rover today, following recent discussions on here.  Got the housing off which was a bit of a faff (had to pull off one of the injector leak-off pipes as that was getting in the way), but mine looks like this inside:

20220505_151002.thumb.jpg.e57f130e9fa1e13abf0c4b92a2724063.jpg

Which is different to @Split_Pin's, and @dollywobbler's old one.  I assume this is the "vortex" type PCV I've seen mentioned in various places?  Saves me having to replace the filter anyway. 

The air filter looked reasonably clean too so I'm going to leave that for now.  The pollen filter was rank but I knew that anyway and I've got a new one of those on order.

Off to the Swanage Railway diesel gala. Thought I'd arrive in something appropriate for riding around on 1960s machinery all day. IMG_20220506_075746.thumb.jpg.23f8884e8dd20fbecff25dea3a310761.jpg

IMG_20220506_075825.thumb.jpg.8d2cd0cf12e49f91e9b2f2cbce9c2f37.jpg

Got here early so it's still nice and quiet. Found unrestricted parking a five minute walk from the station so that's a result. Not on the seafront obviously, that was just for photos. 

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Decided to have a look at the PCV on the Rover today, following recent discussions on here.  Got the housing off which was a bit of a faff (had to pull off one of the injector leak-off pipes as that was getting in the way), but mine looks like this inside:

20220505_151002.thumb.jpg.e57f130e9fa1e13abf0c4b92a2724063.jpg

Which is different to @Split_Pin's, and @dollywobbler's old one.  I assume this is the "vortex" type PCV I've seen mentioned in various places?  Saves me having to replace the filter anyway. 

The air filter looked reasonably clean too so I'm going to leave that for now.  The pollen filter was rank but I knew that anyway and I've got a new one of those on order.

I remember changing the PCV filter on my E46 and it was absolutely bogging and choked solid. I don't think it had every been changed. 

14 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Wise choice my friend! Hopefully that's everything and there's nothing else knocking, though I'm sure the garage would have a quick look for anything else anyway

The garage said they'd check both sides and the rest. They are a good garage in that I can trust them not give me a list of unnecessary work, which is nice. 

3 hours ago, Yoss said:

Off to the Swanage Railway diesel gala. Thought I'd arrive in something appropriate for riding around on 1960s machinery all day. IMG_20220506_075746.thumb.jpg.23f8884e8dd20fbecff25dea3a310761.jpg

IMG_20220506_075825.thumb.jpg.8d2cd0cf12e49f91e9b2f2cbce9c2f37.jpg

Got here early so it's still nice and quiet. Found unrestricted parking a five minute walk from the station so that's a result. Not on the seafront obviously, that was just for photos. 

I trust you will also be wearing a red and black checked lumberjack shirt?

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I trust you will also be wearing a red and black checked lumberjack shirt?

This was said to me before and it went right over my head. Should I hand in my card on the way out the door?

New wheel spacers fitted to the red 93 today. 15mm on the front and 25mm on the back.

The backs initially confused me as the bolts didn't seem long enough. Once I'd given my brain a bit more choke, I realised that the wee bolts hold the spacer to the hub and then the other 5 holes are for the original bolts to hold the wheel on.

The fronts had 10 holes with longer bolts just going straight through them but that was just for different PCDs I assume, hence being confused at the different layout at the back. 

Good quality bits of kit though, these are the same ones as @Jazoliused on the black one, cheers for the link.

Lucky my handbrake is good as I had to tighten the spacers with the car off the ground.

It sits appreciably higher at the back than the black one for some reason but I'm still happy with it.

Before

20220506_151020.thumb.jpg.864150f5099efe875514de162d8df880.jpg

20220506_151031.thumb.jpg.e06c8a26204a1b5e7b65f44512ba2ffe.jpg

After

20220506_173945.thumb.jpg.038c387a274176e4ab9ed3e228505ec3.jpg

20220506_174003.thumb.jpg.eb5d1c2d276c5b4d08acc58285dbb131.jpg

Oh and the advisory for a tyre was generous, they know I'll sort it though.

20220506_152931.thumb.jpg.7f808231beefe2aedf35c1d6569a34f7.jpg

25 minutes ago, Gerrymcd said:

This was said to me before and it went right over my head. Should I hand in my card on the way out the door?

There was a chap on Retro Rides years ago who was selling a matt black Triumph and there were some amusing photos in the sale thread of him standing in front of it in a lumberjack shirt and shades with his arms folded looking quite menacing.  It became something of an AS meme at the time, he got the piss ripped out of him royally - he actually joined up here briefly to defend himself and turned out to be an OK bloke.

Every time I bring up Portugal's used cars, I talk about a problem. A big one.

Our cars might have no rust, but the climate means you'll see a lot of yellow headlights, Pogweaseled paint....

Today, this happened.

193129464_IMG_20220506_1517442.thumb.jpg.749105c12e4f30ac49123db1e3f90fc4.jpg

Fuck.

Every time I fix a thing in this Aldi, something else breaks. Guess I'll look for a spare dashboard 

4 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Might as well do the heater matrix while it's out (presume it's still cold enough in winter in Portugal to need one)

Fellow Audi 80 (and derivatives) owners already figuring it out! hahahahaha

That's exactly my plan. Replace dash, do the heater matrix (which is indeed not working), and pull a switched live from the ignition switch to the radio (being a 1993 my car still doesn't have one!) 

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

There was a chap on Retro Rides years ago who was selling a matt black Triumph and there were some amusing photos in the sale thread of him standing in front of it in a lumberjack shirt and shades with his arms folded looking quite menacing.  It became something of an AS meme at the time, he got the piss ripped out of him royally - he actually joined up here briefly to defend himself and turned out to be an OK bloke.

Went right over my head. Anyway I just got back from Swanage. Top day out, well documented on the Railshite thread. I drove all the way the home with the roof open so I now smell of both diesel and petrol fumes at the same time which is an achievement. 

Had to stop to snap this at Corfe Castle. 

IMG_20220506_181950.thumb.jpg.a4afc0d4a84c0beda60c39e971879496.jpg

Just the right amount of shabby and the back was stacked full of cardboard boxes. 

The only slight downer was the Triumphs gearbox or clutch started making a funny, quite loud noise on the way back. Fortunately only two miles from home and it goes away when you dip the clutch so I managed to coast most of the way home with my foot on the clutch. Hopefully it's something simple like the clutch release bearing. I'll add it to the list of jobs to do. 

Edit: Oh, yeah, and this was parked near Harmans Cross Station. 

IMG_20220506_133845.thumb.jpg.6be7d6b78d473138e8a383e471383c81.jpg

On the way to Gatwick early doors in a local taxi firms Zafira B. Never been in one before but I’m really rather impressed. Good ride. Quiet at speed. A rare exceptionally smooth taxi driver.

Either it’s the lack of sleep or I’m turning into the sort of shiter that admires an old shite Vauxhall. (Send help!)

image.jpg

15 hours ago, OM646 said:

Every time I bring up Portugal's used cars, I talk about a problem. A big one.

Our cars might have no rust, but the climate means you'll see a lot of yellow headlights, Pogweaseled paint....

Today, this happened.

193129464_IMG_20220506_1517442.thumb.jpg.749105c12e4f30ac49123db1e3f90fc4.jpg

Fuck.

Every time I fix a thing in this Aldi, something else breaks. Guess I'll look for a spare dashboard 

Don't the Aussies have something they put on the dash for this? Like a carpet? Remember seeing something like that in @dollywobbler's antipodean videos... 

On 05/05/2022 at 21:50, cort16 said:

My Megane has been playing up a bit after getting it through it's mot. I did 90 or so miles in it last night and the eml would flash for a few minutes then go off periodically on the journey  .  Then on the way home I noticed the dash lights weren't  working and today the eml started to flash, then it came up check traction control and it felt like something was pulsing the brakes even when I didn't have my foot on the brake. I turned it off and on again and both the EML and the traction light went out and the pulsing stopped.

I'm hoping this isn't the start of some kind of french electrical mental break downs it's been well behaved up until this point. 

Check your alternator is charging and the battery is healthy, my Clio 182 did all sorts of crazy shit like that when the alternator started to fail

17 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I seem to remember people ribbing him over ruining the car- a matt black paintjob often being the last job on a car before it winds up in a scrapyard. A few weeks later a photo emerged of said Triumph, sat in a scrap yard with it's roof caved in.

7 hours ago, Longbridge Apologist said:

On the way to Gatwick early doors in a local taxi firms Zafira B. Never been in one before but I’m really rather impressed. Good ride. Quiet at speed. A rare exceptionally smooth taxi driver.

Either it’s the lack of sleep or I’m turning into the sort of shiter that admires an old shite Vauxhall. (Send help!)

image.jpg

I do find the Zafira B moderately appealing, and a factor of 10 less shit than a Zafira A

On 5/5/2022 at 9:50 PM, cort16 said:

My Megane has been playing up a bit after getting it through it's mot. I did 90 or so miles in it last night and the eml would flash for a few minutes then go off periodically on the journey  .  Then on the way home I noticed the dash lights weren't  working and today the eml started to flash, then it came up check traction control and it felt like something was pulsing the brakes even when I didn't have my foot on the brake. I turned it off and on again and both the EML and the traction light went out and the pulsing stopped.

I'm hoping this isn't the start of some kind of french electrical mental break downs it's been well behaved up until this point. 

Fusebox and it's integrated computer in the wheel arch is a common source of Mégane II troubles. It can get wet and cause all sorts of weirdness as it's a main body control module too. 

Felt having money in your pocket was not the done thing.. as using the daddy wagon for the weekend I should really get the front tyres replaced as advisory from last MOT, £200 quid later I got sumitomo 215 55r16.. 

I need a lay down now...

20220507_155815.jpg

Screenshot_20220507-142651_Maps.jpg