The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Turns out the roof on the Saab is waterproof.  I have been keeping it out of the rain as there are a few small rips on it but I got caught out today when a thunderstorm went through.  Car is dry inside which is a definite win.  Will give it a good clean and renovo treatment now and hopefully put off replacement for a while.  Happy days.

5 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Bugger me! I was standing at a roundabout a couple of hundred yards from you. We also knew nothing about this until we stopped 3 cars back from said roundabout, we abanded the car where it was and watched them go past, one of my daughter’s commented on how many were being steered by women . The pair of little lorries looked as if they should have been driven by children. 
Drove the wrong way down a one way street trying to get to The Great Orme road, hopefully no cameras.

An excellent spectacle it was too! 

So further to my previous, friggin pot holes!

There's an obnoxious metallic clank coming from underneath the Mondeo, (it's a mk4 estate), mostly at low speeds and on bumpy surfaces. At speed and on decent roads it doesn't happen so much.  But turning in car parks and drives, going up and down ramps etc it sounds like it's shitting something  painful. 

I was thinking it's the exhaust, maybe it's been rattled, but I can get a good clunk from grabbing the roof rails and wobbling the car side to side when parked. 

Has council neglect damage my suspension?

21 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

So further to my previous, friggin pot holes!

There's an obnoxious metallic clank coming from underneath the Mondeo, (it's a mk4 estate), mostly at low speeds and on bumpy surfaces. At speed and on decent roads it doesn't happen so much.  But turning in car parks and drives, going up and down ramps etc it sounds like it's shitting something  painful. 

I was thinking it's the exhaust, maybe it's been rattled, but I can get a good clunk from grabbing the roof rails and wobbling the car side to side when parked. 

Has council neglect damage my suspension?

Might be a heatshield bumping on the exhaust, or the exhaust itself banging around. 

I'd be very surprised if you get anywhere with the council over long term road neglect. They're hesitant enough when a poor road has buckled someone's wheel + destroyed a tyre even when there's a photograph of a huge pothole involved

Alternatively it could be a spring or maybe top mount if you can replicate the noise shaking the car. You can't usually pinpoint and hear a ball joint knock from just rocking the car

I don't want to teach grandma to suck eggs etc - but if you grab hold of the exhaust tailpipe (when cold, obviously) and wiggle it around you should be able to simply identify if it's the exhaust causing the noise

51 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Might be a heatshield bumping on the exhaust, or the exhaust itself banging around. 

I'd be very surprised if you get anywhere with the council over long term road neglect. They're hesitant enough when a poor road has buckled someone's wheel + destroyed a tyre even when there's a photograph of a huge pothole involved

Alternatively it could be a spring or maybe top mount if you can replicate the noise shaking the car. You can't usually pinpoint and hear a ball joint knock from just rocking the car

I don't want to teach grandma to suck eggs etc - but if you grab hold of the exhaust tailpipe (when cold, obviously) and wiggle it around you should be able to simply identify if it's the exhaust causing the noise

When I had similar with my mk3 estate it was a snapped spring. Amazingly it drove fine apart from when turning at low speeds!

Having said that, pretty much the only other problem I ever had with the car was the exhaust heatshield which dropped off and was bouncing around on top of the exhaust until I fixed* it. 

6 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I would be a grandma who knows little about eggs! Thanks, I'll have a peer and a poke.

And yes I have been over potholes at speed, and when I've had a heavy load in. They're annoying and dangerous, especially when they are in the drive line on corners!

I don't expect the council to do anything, I guess I'm going to spend time reporting them though...

12 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Exhaust is quiet when wobbled, but this link doesn't look right to me, and it does seem to be clicking. 

What is this link called, or do I need to go on the modeo mk4 section of AS to find that out?

20220505_130730.jpg

1 hour ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Exhaust is quiet when wobbled, but this link doesn't look right to me, and it does seem to be clicking. 

What is this link called, or do I need to go on the modeo mk4 section of AS to find that out?

20220505_130730.jpg

That's fucked! It's the anti roll bar link, also known as droplink as @Saabnut says.

Well spotted! 

That will be most likely be a complete pisser to change without cutting it off, probably a garage job unless you have access to lots of heat and cutting tools! 

Brake fluid 

new on the right, stuff out the reservoir in the middle, stuff out the wheel cylinders on the left this came out after some rusty water 

I have flushed new fluid through but I think it’s to late and have a seized wheel cylinder(s) 

it’s on a Lansing Bagnall Forklift 

5E4DC427-DDD0-442C-823A-16FD5EEEAF1A.jpeg

Definitely don't waste time trying to remove droplinks gently; after my fuckabout with such things back in December, it's angry grinder all the way in future.

1012211387_IMG_20211212_1630492.thumb.jpg.dbb1c894272e735ad5211a426a9dab22.jpg

It seems that links don't really last long these days - the one shown was less than a year old at the point of failure, yet looks like it's spent a decade or three on the seabed.

9 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Definitely don't waste time trying to remove droplinks gently; after my fuckabout with such things back in December, it's angry grinder all the way in future.

1012211387_IMG_20211212_1630492.thumb.jpg.dbb1c894272e735ad5211a426a9dab22.jpg

It seems that links don't really last long these days - the one shown was less than a year old at the point of failure, yet looks like it's spent a decade or three on the seabed.

This, it saves a whole shitload of time in the long run just to cut first.

48 minutes ago, goosey said:

Brake fluid 

new on the right, stuff out the reservoir in the middle, stuff out the wheel cylinders on the left this came out after some rusty water 

I have flushed new fluid through but I think it’s to late and have a seized wheel cylinder(s) 

it’s on a Lansing Bagnall Forklift 

5E4DC427-DDD0-442C-823A-16FD5EEEAF1A.jpeg

Looks Like my usual bar order 🤪

Deciddd to have a go at the vectras sick injector.

Even with a hot engine it was solid. I had nothing that would shift it ( I had a crow bar ). I slackened the clamp and ran the engine several times.20220505_152123.thumb.jpg.9acbe9ca05a329533cefb8f49a868265.jpg

It started to budge.

20220505_152219.thumb.jpg.c4d1bac12d4627ffce078b349f04045f.jpg

Eventually it came out. I have had easier times pulling posts out of the ground.

20220505_153650.thumb.jpg.34c7f00db96d43b332f83b4869c01116.jpg

It looks like I pulled it from somebody's sphincter.

20220505_153907.thumb.jpg.d20a2171a3634e1aa31298c69c5665c3.jpg

Filthy copper washer.

20220505_170937.thumb.jpg.0261f50238a43330c3f31838c4fbb9f4.jpg

All back together. Much disappointment they failed fairly quickly - garage probably lashed it together to get it out of the door.

3 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

That's fucked! It's the anti roll bar link, also known as droplink as @Saabnut says.

Well spotted! 

That will be most likely be a complete pisser to change without cutting it off, probably a garage job unless you have access to lots of heat and cutting tools! 

Its booked in, I don't have time, heat, decent cutting gear right now or enough swear words. 

5 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Wise choice my friend! Hopefully that's everything and there's nothing else knocking, though I'm sure the garage would have a quick look for anything else anyway

Seconded! Not worth the grief. My Cortina is currently with my local classic friendly garage. Popped in today and next to it is a 1960s Lotus Elan series one, which the owner apparently has for sale at £65k😧. What made me laugh was that, apparently everyone who has come in has walked passed it without a glance and are all over the Cortina😆

6 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Civic Coupe has an MOT (and a comedy exhaust blow as the stainless manifold won't seal). It's not staying, as one of my mates has offered me a swap for his mk1 MX-5. Complete with hardtop! 

I will be pilloried as a MASSIVE IDIOT for recommending this, but I cured a persistent manifold leak on my Puma by using two gaskets. 

It too is fitted with an aftermarket stainless manifold, yo.

1 minute ago, grogee said:

I will be pilloried as a MASSIVE IDIOT for recommending this, but I cured a persistent manifold leak on my Puma by using two gaskets. 

It too is fitted with an aftermarket stainless manifold, yo.

I should be able to acquire the original manifold in a couple of weeks as my mate I got the car off lives near Crail. 

My Megane has been playing up a bit after getting it through it's mot. I did 90 or so miles in it last night and the eml would flash for a few minutes then go off periodically on the journey  .  Then on the way home I noticed the dash lights weren't  working and today the eml started to flash, then it came up check traction control and it felt like something was pulsing the brakes even when I didn't have my foot on the brake. I turned it off and on again and both the EML and the traction light went out and the pulsing stopped.

I'm hoping this isn't the start of some kind of french electrical mental break downs it's been well behaved up until this point. 

Just spent most of the day putting a new driveshaft/gearbox seal on. The bloody universal joint fell apart and spread all the needle rollers all over the floor. AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!! Had to spend a couple of hours trying to make sure I had them all and getting them back in. Grease will hold them in but the same grease on your hand pulls the bastards out. Got there in the end but what a fuck about. Mostly lying underneath where getting up is becoming something I'm fed up with at 69. Old age is a right bugger.