The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

It would be nice if there was a company that offered unloved, shite classic driving days, but I guess they would quickly go bust offering those 😂

Well I don't think Shitefest ever turns a profit but nobody ends up in the poor house (unless they blow 2 ZX tyres on the way home).

April has nearly passed already.  At the beginning of the month I drove over to Nether Winchendon where I was married in Dec 1972 and where my wife has rested since May 2007.  It poured with rain so I did not get out of the car, instead stopping at Brill (windmill) to eat my packed lunch.  A bit later in the month I stopped for a walk near Preston Capes and was buzzed by three army light helicopters. Today, as it was sunny and warm, I decided to go out for a drive but the Tipo did not respond to the ignition key at the Start position. No current was being drawn so I went in to my garage to find the special tool (hammer), then clouted the battery terminals and the starter solenoid. Normal service resumed after I'd hit the solenoid. I stopped after about a mile on a dusty unmade lane near Helmdon for a couple of photos next to a crop.

100_2391.jpg

100_2398.jpg

100_2399.jpg

100_2402.jpg

100_2404.jpg

Not strictly automotive related, but it does involve some nice grot in a strange parallel with the @Datsuncog Subaru experience.

The now Mrs_Craig bought this table from Q&Q many years ago. 

20220430_170910.thumb.jpg.4251a8ca631c1efc94212469dd901726.jpg

It has spent well over a decade outside in all weathers. Looks OK still, doesn't it?

20220430_170723.thumb.jpg.fb9b4bba4102c6ea93c80da3f7202865.jpg

However it's going to need some attention to the underside for its next MoT.

20220430_170739.thumb.jpg.e153635e06787a824d5bfe648ecac6c1.jpg

That's supposed to be a continuous square frame supporting the opaque toughened glass panel.

20220430_170744.thumb.jpg.e9f2f8d06fe8a53e946f97fdcf1e9728.jpg

20220430_170753.thumb.jpg.f7716ad335e0cc14d72efbc6be3267f6.jpg

Aye, that's humped. No chance of welding that up!

Collectioned, nice to meet @loserone. A couple of beers and a pie to keep my Dad happy, couldn’t ask for more!

Car is a cracker, definitely a lot perkier than the Inca forum bike.

Though I appear to of already broke the clock adjuster, technically the clock still works like, I’m just gonna be living 20 mins in the past.

75BEDEAD-180E-471D-8AA4-DA06960FA1F0.jpeg

3BD13B95-AC34-425A-9934-7E1BCAC0305E.jpeg

1 hour ago, mk2_craig said:

Not strictly automotive related, but it does involve some nice grot in a strange parallel with the @Datsuncog Subaru experience.

The now Mrs_Craig bought this table from Q&Q many years ago. 

20220430_170910.thumb.jpg.4251a8ca631c1efc94212469dd901726.jpg

It has spent well over a decade outside in all weathers. Looks OK still, doesn't it?

20220430_170723.thumb.jpg.fb9b4bba4102c6ea93c80da3f7202865.jpg

However it's going to need some attention to the underside for its next MoT.

20220430_170739.thumb.jpg.e153635e06787a824d5bfe648ecac6c1.jpg

That's supposed to be a continuous square frame supporting the opaque toughened glass panel.

20220430_170744.thumb.jpg.e9f2f8d06fe8a53e946f97fdcf1e9728.jpg

20220430_170753.thumb.jpg.f7716ad335e0cc14d72efbc6be3267f6.jpg

Aye, that's humped. No chance of welding that up!

Just put a bead of expanding foam around the entire perimeter on that join with the glass 

Just like subaru owners have to, but without having to get the matt black out afterwards

1 hour ago, RayMK said:

April has nearly passed already.  At the beginning of the month I drove over to Nether Winchendon where I was married in Dec 1972 and where my wife has rested since May 2007.  It poured with rain so I did not get out of the car, instead stopping at Brill (windmill) to eat my packed lunch.  A bit later in the month I stopped for a walk near Preston Capes and was buzzed by three army light helicopters. Today, as it was sunny and warm, I decided to go out for a drive but the Tipo did not respond to the ignition key at the Start position. No current was being drawn so I went in to my garage to find the special tool (hammer), then clouted the battery terminals and the starter solenoid. Normal service resumed after I'd hit the solenoid. I stopped after about a mile on a dusty unmade lane near Helmdon for a couple of photos next to a crop.

100_2391.jpg

100_2398.jpg

100_2399.jpg

100_2402.jpg

100_2404.jpg

Do these later ones have the digital dash still? 

Made it back from darkest Bradford with Mrs_LabRat's new steed, she's still grinning and to be fair it's an absolute hoot to drive for a modern. I want to meet the brave person who shelled out for a towbar on an Ignis, then never bothered to use it... (Apparently it'll tow a tonne, presumably slowly with a lot of noise)

FB_IMG_1651340431389.thumb.jpg.75e10c0aa1b8ef16e5fd8f4e84614434.jpg

The shed of a C4 is going for scrap tomorrow, after a closer look it's really not worth saving- needs way too much work to justify keeping and I wouldn't want to sell it on in the state it's in! 

Rebuilt the stator tube hub control assembly (I have no proper name for this thing) for the Lanchester today after re-wiring it.  Fresh grease has made it operate much better.  Arse of a thing to record working on.  Self-cancelling mechanism for the semaphore switch works nicely too now.  Fingers crossed it actually works properly once reinstalled.

Currently trying to convince a guy to sell me an OMG LIABILITY car i nearly bought 2-3 months ago, but he beat me to by a matter of minutes.

He bought it, washed it, then stuck it straight back up for sale at 4x the cash with an ad dripping with 'Collectors item' bullshit bingo. It didn't sell.

It now sits up the side of a pub, abandoned, filthy, partially vandalised and seemingly being used as a skip.

17 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Is there a thread for how bad this is ...link please 

There isn't a thread cos it was bought as a £400 stop gap shed to get her to work and back whilst we sorted the Ssangyong out. 

Its suffering with rusty rear sills, giffer spray paint on one rear door and a crease in the sill on the passenger side, work gearbox mount, 2 duff lambda sensors, worn clutch and possibly a gearbox idler gear judging by the whine,  broken drivers side spring thanks to Oldham's wonderful road network, worn wishbone bushes on both sides and not a straight panel on it...

Oh and the Comms 2000 unit is fucked, so the indicators don't self cancel and the fog lights have been bodged into a switch on the dash (rear only, the previous owner couldn't be arsed wiring the front up)

It also has a sellotaped key that works the central locking when it can be arsed, and a lovely* stench of fag smoke from the previous owner smoking roll ups in there, along with the foam collapsing in the drivers seat so absolutely no support at all. 

Still, cartakeback are giving us £450 for it, so it's been  4 months of essentially free motoring for her.

And home.

20220430_193032.thumb.jpg.95220a3277b16784090b8d726165ebb8.jpg

Smoll car is smoll.

Smoll car is also tremendous fun.  I picked it up from just the other side of Leicester and Google Maps sent me down some nice windy little back roads to get to the A47 - it really is a great little thing to chuck around.  It's a mid range model so has electric windows but no aircon - and seemingly no air recirculation button, so if you're driving past a pig farm you know about it.   Needs a bit of welding and a brake pipe for the MOT - it also had the EML on but that went out half way home after I stopped for pez.  It's surprisingly nippy given how high geared it is (a 1-litre shopping car shouldn't be able to do 60 in second gear) and the gearing means it's a lot more refined on the dual carriageway than the Daihatsu was as it's not screaming its tits off at 70.  Overall I really rather like it so far.

Bought last weeks classic car weekly digitally because of x1/9 content. They say 333 on the road in the uk!

There’s also an article on Hagerty today as well.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/retro-rematch-fiat-x1-9-vs-triumph-tr7/?fbclid=IwAR0HcxC3UjbnalIbxbr1dYcXHm7cUgZ97NPUlFVFR3UkM-o-UMIzaCn995U

8C78AABF-7F58-4BB4-A5FC-6B97BA995225.jpeg

On 28/04/2022 at 21:58, Crackers said:

Had my first "proper Mini" experience today with a (very) short scoot in a 1999 Rover injected one. I liked it. That's it. That's the news.

My sister's first car was a bog-standard 1973 Mini 850; white with blue vinyl 'seats', 10" wheels and a huge two-spoke plastic tiller.  

It was like a go-kart compared to my (first) Dyane - you didn't so much steer it as think it round corners...

2 hours ago, LabRat said:

Made it back from darkest Bradford with Mrs_LabRat's new steed, she's still grinning and to be fair it's an absolute hoot to drive for a modern. I want to meet the brave person who shelled out for a towbar on an Ignis, then never bothered to use it... (Apparently it'll tow a tonne, presumably slowly with a lot of noise)

FB_IMG_1651340431389.thumb.jpg.75e10c0aa1b8ef16e5fd8f4e84614434.jpg

The shed of a C4 is going for scrap tomorrow, after a closer look it's really not worth saving- needs way too much work to justify keeping and I wouldn't want to sell it on in the state it's in! 

Was the C4 from "that there Goole" - the very strange OAP car dealers by any chance? 

£450 scrap - that's impressive!

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

And home.

Smoll car is smoll.

Smoll car is also tremendous fun.  I picked it up from just the other side of Leicester and Google Maps sent me down some nice windy little back roads to get to the A47 - it really is a great little thing to chuck around.  It's a mid range model so has electric windows but no aircon - and seemingly no air recirculation button, so if you're driving past a pig farm you know about it.   Needs a bit of welding and a brake pipe for the MOT - it also had the EML on but that went out half way home after I stopped for pez.  It's surprisingly nippy given how high geared it is (a 1-litre shopping car shouldn't be able to do 60 in second gear) and the gearing means it's a lot more refined on the dual carriageway than the Daihatsu was as it's not screaming its tits off at 70.  Overall I really rather like it so far.

Was the original owner rich* enough to tick the box for rev counter? 

12 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

To cheer myself up, I'm going to the Somerset Country Classics meet at midday. First show since before covid became a thing.

How was it?

I meant to go to it today but I forgot and ended up in Devon instead!

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

And home.

Smoll car is smoll.

They are fun aren't they?  Rev limiter in 2nd should be 65.  Which mine saw far more often than I'd like to admit...the noise they make when worked hard is still great I reckon.

Keep an eye on the oil level as some of them like a drink - though mine never used a drop of oil the whole time I had it (9 years and about 65K miles) despite my driving it like I stole it a lot of the time.

Radiator is a bugger to change as it's sandwiched between the slam panel and crash bar so that has to be dropped off to change it, and make sure there's free play in the clutch cable or it'll eat the release bearing.  A lot of these have silly high clutches as apparently the dealer info says they're self adjusting... they're not!  The adjuster is on the nearside towards the back of the gearbox as I recall.

The wing indicator repeaters are a stupid design.  The bulb can't be replaced so the whole unit needs to be changed - though they are like £3 even from the dealer so hardly the end of the world.  Bugger me on principle though!

If you need a set of tail lights I think I still have s pair in the garage.

10 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

Spotted this odd thing through the week.. First time I've ever had to Google a car to find out what it was!

20220426_170303.thumb.jpg.7b6eb587714b5aeae361d76c10ef3c27.jpg

Is that a SAAB 9-7X?  I've never seen one in the metal, so it's only a guess

LHD and square number plate, presuming a US import?

1 hour ago, CaptainBoom said:

Is that a SAAB 9-7X?  I've never seen one in the metal, so it's only a guess

LHD and square number plate, presuming a US import?

Yes. It's a 9-7X, aka "Trollblazer"

Although as unloved as it is... I'd have a ton of fun with the Aero that has a Corvette engine and apparently handles very decently for the big thing it is