The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

10 hours ago, Stanky said:

Its a busy* day at work today, so we've been looking out the window at the mega shady car sales place round the back of a pub that we sort of overlook. This regularly gets raided by the local police which provides some entertainment for us, but today we have a fun fun game of 'what car is this from?'

1651141733530.thumb.JPEG.305248b70f0556ab454abe862e3f45ab.JPEG

My guess was Mazda 3 or 6, which it definitely isn't. The grille cutouts are wrong for a ford focus, and a 3 series BMW too. So, over to you guys, what do you think it came from?

My first thought was a Meriva (the fugly new one with suicide doors) but they don't have 2 grilles. 

Think I'd agree an Astra J being closest, though I'm not fully convinced on the fog light cutouts as they don't look the right shape to me

3 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

My first thought was a Meriva (the fugly new one with suicide doors) but they don't have 2 grilles. 

Think I'd agree an Astra J being closest, though I'm not fully convinced on the fog light cutouts as they don't look the right shape to me

Definitely Astra J, This type, with the bar trim across the lower grille.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Likewise. £1,250 tho or swops for a Vectra B, M9... comes with a free packet of Werthers Originals, savour them whilst you accelerate for three days to get to 30. :D

There always seems to be cheap Fabia MK1 about!

E.g. this near me

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1140979960084893/

Wonder if the clutch is actually fine and just the high clutch bite point thing they seem to have. 

3 hours ago, SiC said:

That 14ppm was the few tens of seconds from driving it into the garage! While under the limit, my impression is that any CO build up isn't particularly healthy. 

I would like to get an exhaust extractor but they're quite pricey for what they are and hard to justify when I'd not use it that much. Especially given the price of them for what is essentially a fan in a box. Would be nice for welding/setting the underseal alight fumes though.

I know @red5had one for sale - did it ever sell in the end?

I mean, it's not approved and all, but I have a radiator fan rigged up at low level in the garage at the back, to circulate air a bit, usually if I'm doing painting or using white spirit underneath the car. Definitely helps move fresh air in.

11 minutes ago, SiC said:

There always seems to be cheap Fabia MK1 about!

E.g. this near me

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1140979960084893/

Wonder if the clutch is actually fine and just the high clutch bite point thing they seem to have. 

The clutch has a fairly high bite on mine as well, so I don't think it'll be that bad. The 1.2 has better low-end power (if you can call it that) than the 1.4, even if it's slower overall. :)

11 hours ago, Stanky said:

Its a busy* day at work today, so we've been looking out the window at the mega shady car sales place round the back of a pub that we sort of overlook. This regularly gets raided by the local police which provides some entertainment for us, but today we have a fun fun game of 'what car is this from?'

1651141733530.thumb.JPEG.305248b70f0556ab454abe862e3f45ab.JPEG

My guess was Mazda 3 or 6, which it definitely isn't. The grille cutouts are wrong for a ford focus, and a 3 series BMW too. So, over to you guys, what do you think it came from?

proton satria

its far eastern fo sho - the mouth made me think mk3 mx5 but the headlight cut outs are wrong

8 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

The clutch has a fairly high bite on mine as well, so I don't think it'll be that bad. The 1.2 has better low-end power (if you can call it that) than the 1.4, even if it's slower overall. :)

High clutches are so common I'm never bothered about them unless/until they slip, Ford, anything French, VAG etc, the lot of them all renowned for high(ish) clutches in some of their cars its so common

4 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

High clutches are so common I'm never bothered about them unless/until they slip, Ford, anything French, VAG etc, the lot of them all renowned for high(ish) clutches in some of their cars its so common

The Fiesta I learned to drive in had similar clutch behaviours to my Fabia, which made things much easier. :)

2 hours ago, N19 said:

I mean, it's not approved and all, but I have a radiator fan rigged up at low level in the garage at the back, to circulate air a bit, usually if I'm doing painting or using white spirit underneath the car. Definitely helps move fresh air in.

Even if you’re getting near zero CO, CO2 will be produced and will displace the air causing asphyxiation rather than poisoning.

The red forum bike Saab 93 convertible has been booked in for its MOT on Tuesday.

I've told them it needs work to pass so time has been booked in to allow for this. A front wheelbearing is a definite plus 2 front top strut mounts. 

It's a good car so its worth getting it through a test in my opinion, it drives brilliantly.

Then.... it's always the worst time for my cars, immediately after MOT as that means they're more saleable! I really like this one but if something else interesting jumped out at me.....

Failing that I may post off the ECU to Noobtune :)

8 hours ago, Crackers said:

"Proper" minis are also a worth a lot more than your average uni student can afford, so there's that.

I'm amazed by the cars driven by students of our local Uni - quite a few are nearly-new. Maybe they're not average though. TBF a Uni student with a V8 Rover was not common in the late 70s either.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

The red forum bike Saab 93 convertible has been booked in for its MOT on Tuesday.

I've told them it needs work to pass so time has been booked in to allow for this. A front wheelbearing is a definite plus 2 front top strut mounts. 

It's a good car so its worth getting it through a test in my opinion, it drives brilliantly.

Then.... it's always the worst time for my cars, immediately after MOT as that means they're more saleable! I really like this one but if something else interesting jumped out at me.....

Failing that I may post off the ECU to Noobtune :)

If its ever for sale again , hit me up 👍

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

I'm amazed by the cars driven by students of our local Uni - quite a few are nearly-new. Maybe they're not average though. TBF a Uni student with a V8 Rover was not common in the late 70s either.

Quite a few in my Film class that could drive were driving some modern thing. Think there were two of us with cars that weren't financed to the hilt.

2 hours ago, Yoss said:

Every time a picture comes out upside down somebody says something along those lines. It's never me because I never get there in time. One day I'll get there first. 

I've always been smug about it as its never happened to me before

Until it did the other day 😱

I did one of those classic car driving experiences today, and really enjoyed it. Amongst a sea of Mk1 Mustangs, Dodge Chargers and the like, I drove a Mk1 Golf GTI, a Pug 205 GTI and a Mini Cooper S. I loved all three of them (even if the Golf's clutch pedal felt like it was attached to a jar of honey - it was slooow). The one that really stuck with me though was the Mini. Never driven one before and, at 6ft 2, I was a bit worried it would be too crampt but boy was I wrong. The experience was further improved by the fact that the 70s hot rod racer Barry Lee (or Leapy if you will) was in the passenger seat. Such an amazing guy. 

12 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Where did you do this, and was he singing "Little Arows" as you went round?

'Is it me, or is it you?'

Sadly the wrong Leapy, but that would've been even more incredible. I was at Abingdon Air Field, but the company (Car Chase Heroes) do them in other places too. I did one at Bicester once which admittedly was a better setup, but the Abingdon runway track was faster.