The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

13 hours ago, Gerrymcd said:

I'm having a similar-ish dilemma. I really want another car as I'm itching for a change but I need to be sensible and get rid of something first. Need to make my mind up what!

My problem is that I have too many projects and so I don't have much to shift. Dolomite has a long way to go and Midget not even started but want to have some fun out of. Boxster I like too much to sell and likewise the BGT that I've had for pretty much 5 years!

That only leaves the A4. Problem is, that's a useful runaround for tip runs and the like. Realistically though it doesn't get used enough to justify its keep.

Something smaller would be better suited (like the Fabia I had 🤦🤣) and ideally cheap to tax (<=£30 p/a). Probably something like a Fiat 500 but I'd want one dirt cheap to justify the change and there are none about for that sort of money. The A4 is probably worth about £1.5k-ish and there isn't much that I could get for that even. 

I keep chasing down classic Minis. However I'd really want a MK1 to be fully happy and they're like £10k-15k for a decent one. I can't justify spending that amount on something like that though for just the occasional evening blast. Not least you could get a tidy TVR Chimera or TR6 for that money. Realistically I'd be looking to buy a project to get what I'd be happy spending and for around £5k it'd be one that needs a fair chunk of work. At least it finished would easily make it worth it if ever sold on.

So right now I'll probably flog on the A4 around when the insurance is up for renewal in June. Then wait out to see what the market will do. With energy prices and soon food prices eating away at people's disposable incomes, I can't help think that cheaper toys (i.e. sub £10k market) like classic cars will take a hit. Higher price stuff potentially less affected as those that can afford them are unlikely to be hit as hard from cost of living increases. 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

My problem is that I have too many projects and so I don't have much to shift. Dolomite has a long way to go and Midget not even started but want to have some fun out of. Boxster I like too much to sell and likewise the BGT that I've had for pretty much 5 years!

That only leaves the A4. Problem is, that's a useful runaround for tip runs and the like. Realistically though it doesn't get used enough to justify its keep.

Something smaller would be better suited (like the Fabia I had 🤦🤣) and ideally cheap to tax (<=£30 p/a). Probably something like a Fiat 500 but I'd want one dirt cheap to justify the change and there are none about for that sort of money. The A4 is probably worth about £1.5k-ish and there isn't much that I could get for that even. 

I keep chasing down classic Minis. However I'd really want a MK1 to be fully happy and they're like £10k-15k for a decent one. I can't justify spending that amount on something like that though for just the occasional evening blast. Not least you could get a tidy TVR Chimera or TR6 for that money. Realistically I'd be looking to buy a project to get what I'd be happy spending and for around £5k it'd be one that needs a fair chunk of work. At least it finished would easily make it worth it if ever sold on.

So right now I'll probably flog on the A4 around when the insurance is up for renewal in June. Then wait out to see what the market will do. With energy prices and soon food prices eating away at people's disposable incomes, I can't help think that cheaper toys (i.e. sub £10k market) like classic cars will take a hit. Higher price stuff potentially less affected as those that can afford them are unlikely to be hit as hard from cost of living increases. 

Sensible me should flog the 1100 and Toledo to get something else. What will likely happen is I'll continue to be indecisive and do nothing, then on a whim I'll buy something else and double down on my dilemma. 

17 hours ago, brownnova said:

The Tuesday night weekly meets at Mavericks Wales have resumed! The first couple were a bit boy racer, but the sun was out this week! 
7C76FB0A-D898-4012-A7BC-02D508E95C3A.jpeg2DEA2FFC-00EC-450E-AA57-EE07845FB07F.jpeg65A81384-6F40-4298-8E94-89F0918663AB.jpeg78CD27B9-0CCB-4CDB-A29D-D4667D3EB75A.jpegECED6649-BC5C-4679-9C7A-CD9F51551A76.jpeg593C02C2-3C44-4B54-9E06-6E6975DA0082.jpeg729A0030-9C10-4829-B03E-728651B62F68.jpeg2D6CC980-C94F-4A10-8842-A46A7198DCF2.jpegC9C1E138-D1DC-47A2-8548-E70B996891BC.jpeg0FAD8321-86DB-433D-BCD7-ED59163CEE06.jpegF89B7722-B099-4624-8AD4-3B9CA641018D.jpeg56DE78C8-208A-4292-901B-E21A7B090A50.jpeg

There was a meet there on Drive it Day too, so @Bren you might have seen cars from there  on the A548 as Mavericks is on that road near the big ship. 

I saw the jag and the tina. Much want.

1 hour ago, SiC said:

There's a fairly rough but MOTd 500 for sale in Edinburgh for £800 but as you practically live in France that might not be logistically comfortable. 

25 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

There's a fairly rough but MOTd 500 for sale in Edinburgh for £800 but as you practically live in France that might not be logistically comfortable. 

Getting up is cheap, quick and easy with flights, then it's just a drive down. However that's a long way for something that I could likely get around here for similar money (and less rusty!)

49 minutes ago, Gerrymcd said:

Sensible me should flog the 1100 and Toledo to get something else. What will likely happen is I'll continue to be indecisive and do nothing, then on a whim I'll buy something else and double down on my dilemma. 

I would recommend storage but then you'd end up in my situation with too many cars that need work 🤣

I should flog the Sprint. But I've had too many people say I won't finish it and I'm a stubborn bastard who doesn't like to admit giving up. What would be handy is a local Gingernutz I could pay money to and get it finished. Problem is, I don't personally know of anyone around here who does bodywork and as it's something so easily badly bodged, you have to be very careful who you choose. 

On 25/04/2022 at 22:25, SiC said:

I need to remember only to run the engine outside though. This is with the door open and the exhaust pointing out the back.

@SiC You're comfortably inside the Workplace Exposure Limits for CO at 14ppm: Long Term Exposure Limit (8 hours per day)  for CO is 20ppm and Short Term Exposure Limit (15 mins) is 100ppm but I can see it's not ideal.

Sometimes it's raining here in Wales so I'll want to run a car inside while working on it in the shed at work. I use one of these extractors (also good for removing welding fumes if working inside) Link currently on sale at £248 including a length of ducting. As well as extracting you simply turn the unit around if you want to blow air into a space.

Miniveyor-Air-VAF-200-230V-Portable-Ventilator-Kit.jpg.946fb578aef7aa0d6033e7be79958b74.jpg

17 minutes ago, Sunny Jim said:

@SiC You're comfortably inside the Workplace Exposure Limits for CO at 14ppm: Long Term Exposure Limit (8 hours per day)  for CO is 20ppm and Short Term Exposure Limit (15 mins) is 100ppm but I can see it's not ideal.

Sometimes it's raining here in Wales when I want to run a car while working on it in the shed at work. I use one of these extractors (also good for removing welding fumes if working inside) Link currently on sale at £248 including a length of ducting. As well as extracting you simply turn the unit around if you want to blow air into a space.

Miniveyor-Air-VAF-200-230V-Portable-Ventilator-Kit.jpg.946fb578aef7aa0d6033e7be79958b74.jpg

That 14ppm was the few tens of seconds from driving it into the garage! While under the limit, my impression is that any CO build up isn't particularly healthy. 

I would like to get an exhaust extractor but they're quite pricey for what they are and hard to justify when I'd not use it that much. Especially given the price of them for what is essentially a fan in a box. Would be nice for welding/setting the underseal alight fumes though.

I know @red5had one for sale - did it ever sell in the end?

7 hours ago, Stanky said:

Its a busy* day at work today, so we've been looking out the window at the mega shady car sales place round the back of a pub that we sort of overlook. This regularly gets raided by the local police which provides some entertainment for us, but today we have a fun fun game of 'what car is this from?'

1651141733530.thumb.JPEG.305248b70f0556ab454abe862e3f45ab.JPEG

My guess was Mazda 3 or 6, which it definitely isn't. The grille cutouts are wrong for a ford focus, and a 3 series BMW too. So, over to you guys, what do you think it came from?

Post facelift Astra J for sure

4 hours ago, Stanky said:
6 hours ago, SiC said:

Something smaller would be better suited (like the Fabia I had 🤦🤣)

I'll sell you a Fabia M8, fastidious previous owners and a full compliment of working doors. £3k no offerz. I nowe wot its worf. #chipshortage

Likewise. £1,250 tho or swops for a Vectra B, M9... comes with a free packet of Werthers Originals, savour them whilst you accelerate for three days to get to 30. :D

On 27/04/2022 at 20:29, brownnova said:

The Tuesday night weekly meets at Mavericks Wales have resumed! The first couple were a bit boy racer, but the sun was out this week! 
7C76FB0A-D898-4012-A7BC-02D508E95C3A.jpeg2DEA2FFC-00EC-450E-AA57-EE07845FB07F.jpeg65A81384-6F40-4298-8E94-89F0918663AB.jpeg78CD27B9-0CCB-4CDB-A29D-D4667D3EB75A.jpegECED6649-BC5C-4679-9C7A-CD9F51551A76.jpeg593C02C2-3C44-4B54-9E06-6E6975DA0082.jpeg729A0030-9C10-4829-B03E-728651B62F68.jpeg2D6CC980-C94F-4A10-8842-A46A7198DCF2.jpegC9C1E138-D1DC-47A2-8548-E70B996891BC.jpeg0FAD8321-86DB-433D-BCD7-ED59163CEE06.jpegF89B7722-B099-4624-8AD4-3B9CA641018D.jpeg56DE78C8-208A-4292-901B-E21A7B090A50.jpeg

There was a meet there on Drive it Day too, so @Bren you might have seen cars from there  on the A548 as Mavericks is on that road near the big ship. 

Run out for the Dyane...!

11 hours ago, stuboy said:

Relocated this from future mrs stuboy

20220428_092200.jpg

That's weird, I found that exact same compressor in the boot of the new Favorit yesterday. In the spare wheel well. I've had it a week and a half before I decided to see if it had a spare wheel. It didn't, it had that compressor instead. Haven't tested it yet but I have put a spare wheel in. 

10 hours ago, Stanky said:

Its a busy* day at work today, so we've been looking out the window at the mega shady car sales place round the back of a pub that we sort of overlook. This regularly gets raided by the local police which provides some entertainment for us, but today we have a fun fun game of 'what car is this from?'

My guess was Mazda 3 or 6, which it definitely isn't. The grille cutouts are wrong for a ford focus, and a 3 series BMW too. So, over to you guys, what do you think it came from?

My first thought was a Meriva (the fugly new one with suicide doors) but they don't have 2 grilles. 

Think I'd agree an Astra J being closest, though I'm not fully convinced on the fog light cutouts as they don't look the right shape to me

3 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

My first thought was a Meriva (the fugly new one with suicide doors) but they don't have 2 grilles. 

Think I'd agree an Astra J being closest, though I'm not fully convinced on the fog light cutouts as they don't look the right shape to me

Definitely Astra J, This type, with the bar trim across the lower grille.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Likewise. £1,250 tho or swops for a Vectra B, M9... comes with a free packet of Werthers Originals, savour them whilst you accelerate for three days to get to 30. :D

There always seems to be cheap Fabia MK1 about!

E.g. this near me

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1140979960084893/

Wonder if the clutch is actually fine and just the high clutch bite point thing they seem to have. 

3 hours ago, SiC said:

That 14ppm was the few tens of seconds from driving it into the garage! While under the limit, my impression is that any CO build up isn't particularly healthy. 

I would like to get an exhaust extractor but they're quite pricey for what they are and hard to justify when I'd not use it that much. Especially given the price of them for what is essentially a fan in a box. Would be nice for welding/setting the underseal alight fumes though.

I know @red5had one for sale - did it ever sell in the end?

I mean, it's not approved and all, but I have a radiator fan rigged up at low level in the garage at the back, to circulate air a bit, usually if I'm doing painting or using white spirit underneath the car. Definitely helps move fresh air in.

11 minutes ago, SiC said:

There always seems to be cheap Fabia MK1 about!

E.g. this near me

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1140979960084893/

Wonder if the clutch is actually fine and just the high clutch bite point thing they seem to have. 

The clutch has a fairly high bite on mine as well, so I don't think it'll be that bad. The 1.2 has better low-end power (if you can call it that) than the 1.4, even if it's slower overall. :)

11 hours ago, Stanky said:

proton satria

its far eastern fo sho - the mouth made me think mk3 mx5 but the headlight cut outs are wrong

8 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

The clutch has a fairly high bite on mine as well, so I don't think it'll be that bad. The 1.2 has better low-end power (if you can call it that) than the 1.4, even if it's slower overall. :)

High clutches are so common I'm never bothered about them unless/until they slip, Ford, anything French, VAG etc, the lot of them all renowned for high(ish) clutches in some of their cars its so common

4 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

High clutches are so common I'm never bothered about them unless/until they slip, Ford, anything French, VAG etc, the lot of them all renowned for high(ish) clutches in some of their cars its so common

The Fiesta I learned to drive in had similar clutch behaviours to my Fabia, which made things much easier. :)