The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

14 minutes ago, Asimo said:

Cleaning, camping stoves, Mamod steam engines, anti-freeze for screen wash, shining boots…

True…I also bet the youth of today wouldn’t know a tin of Brasso if it entered the room and polished the tits off their Chinese shiny tat they bought from B&M.

Probably no need for Brasso now, don’t see many homes on Instagram with brass horse tack nailed to the walls…another ‘why did they do that?’ question.

5 hours ago, Ohdearme said:

True…I also bet the youth of today wouldn’t know a tin of Brasso if it entered the room and polished the tits off their Chinese shiny tat they bought from B&M.

Probably no need for Brasso now, don’t see many homes on Instagram with brass horse tack nailed to the walls…another ‘why did they do that?’ question.

It's also quite decent for getting writing off of old pre-recorded cassettes if you want to reuse them.

Up super early thanks to the F1, so had time to polish the Blue and fit the seats to the Red this morning.

PXL_20220410_095149521_MP.thumb.jpg.5cb868aba295f4e4b0b94a27ce6fadd0.jpgPXL_20220410_104540191.thumb.jpg.70097afc0d4ef4563b3dcf35770f59e0.jpg

What a lovely pair.

PXL_20220410_103933923.thumb.jpg.793b93bae0dbb187b5bd3c95bcf5f28c.jpg

I'm 96.3% sure I spotted @juular in HMS 240 this afternoon heading to Dobbies Braehead...(or was it WBAC beside it 😁)

I zipped back round after I was finished in Currys but I couldn't find it in the car park to get a photo! 

53 minutes ago, Gerrymcd said:

Up super early thanks to the F1, so had time to polish the Blue and fit the seats to the Red this morning.

PXL_20220410_095149521_MP.thumb.jpg.5cb868aba295f4e4b0b94a27ce6fadd0.jpgPXL_20220410_104540191.thumb.jpg.70097afc0d4ef4563b3dcf35770f59e0.jpg

What a lovely pair.

PXL_20220410_103933923.thumb.jpg.793b93bae0dbb187b5bd3c95bcf5f28c.jpg

I'm 96.3% sure I spotted @juular in HMS 240 this afternoon heading to Dobbies Braehead...(or was it WBAC beside it 😁)

I zipped back round after I was finished in Currys but I couldn't find it in the car park to get a photo! 

It was indeed the battleship! I clocked the mx5, You turned round too, I didn't recognise you sorry! 

@Dyslexic Vikingjogged my memory and I dug out a sample tin of Owatrol plastic oil stuff to see if it would un-fade the super washed out rear bumper on the BX

PXL_20220410_171528431.thumb.jpg.1773e40be1904ce5dd92804d219d6419.jpg

As it turns out, yes it can, and now I need to do the rest of it as it at some point. 

4 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

@Dyslexic Vikingjogged my memory and I dug out a sample tin of Owatrol plastic oil stuff to see if it would un-fade the super washed out rear bumper on the BX

PXL_20220410_171528431.thumb.jpg.1773e40be1904ce5dd92804d219d6419.jpg

As it turns out, yes it can, and now I need to do the rest of it as it at some point. 

I think this is a good product I have been very happy with it. And it did a very good job on yours.

21 hours ago, High Jetter said:

I usually enjoy your posts, but am struggling to understand this one. Have a good w/e

The whole post or any particular part of it. 

Son got married last June.  Stag weekend was delayed from May 2020. Twice. 

2 nights in Bakewell, parked overnight the first night outside a tart shop

Saturday morning involved shooting shot guns. Rifles, cross bows, long bows. And axe throwing.

Saturday night involved a number of pubs, but it turns out his friends are really geeky. So we ended up playing a weird card game. Which was really funny. Then we went back and played beer pong. 

I being fucking old went to bed at a respectable time, but they stayed up til 4 am.  I starting cooking breakfast at 8:30.  These "young" people looked decidedly fresh.  When I got home, I had to go to sleep for a couple of hours. 

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

My dad bought new tires and got these. Have never heard of Point S tires before and they are made in the Czech Republic. Can't find anything on that name other than a tire sales chain and the only tire factories I find in the Czech Republic are Barum and Nexen. So a little weird?

Made by conti*, so assume they are made in the Barum factory as that's a conti brand too?

https://www.discounttyresuk.co.uk/point-s-tyres/made-by-continental/

4 minutes ago, tapir said:

Made by conti*, so assume they are made in the Barum factory as that's a conti brand too?

Same as Matador then?

https://www.matador-tyres.co.uk/car/the-brand

£50 a corner, great in snow, but shite in the wet for some reason. 😆

8 minutes ago, tapir said:

Thanks then we know. And they are probably most likely made by Barum. And since this is a brand related to Coninental, I would assume they are good.

That's the black Saab 93 been on fleet for just over 2 weeks now. I thought my wife loved her Bini but she clearly likes the Saab a lot more as she's using any excuse to drive it! We've been out in it a lot as a family too. The extra power is great and the exhaust note very much reminds me of an older XE engined Vauxhall, very addictive. I was initially a bit worried about the fuel costs as my wife does go out and about quite a bit during the week but it's come back quite palatable. I'm sure it was doing over 30 last time I checked. The front suspension is very creaky over all the speedbumps in our street and I've identified that it's the ARB bushes as over staggered bumps it's silent. I'm going to lash them with silicone for the time being as I'm reluctant to go the the faff of changing them as they aren't knocking and worn out. A great car so far, we all really like it.

I have held off changing the seat loom in the red Saab as I'm trying to preserve my knackered arm so I can still get on the scooter next week and the seat is very heavy to lift out. Once I'm back I'll get on it.

9 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

That's the black Saab 93 been on fleet for just over 2 weeks now. I thought my wife loved her Bini but she clearly likes the Saab a lot more as she's using any excuse to drive it! We've been out in it a lot as a family too. The extra power is great and the exhaust note very much reminds me of an older XE engined Vauxhall, very addictive. I was initially a bit worried about the fuel costs as my wife does go out and about quite a bit during the week but it's come back quite palatable. I'm sure it was doing over 30 last time I checked. The front suspension is very creaky over all the speedbumps in our street and I've identified that it's the ARB bushes as over staggered bumps it's silent. I'm going to lash them with silicone for the time being as I'm reluctant to go the the faff of changing them as they aren't knocking and worn out. A great car so far, we all really like it.

I have held off changing the seat loom in the red Saab as I'm trying to preserve my knackered arm so I can still get on the scooter next week and the seat is very heavy to lift out. Once I'm back I'll get on it.

If you need a hand lifting a seat, there are many of us in the area who are just a WhatsApp message away!

I still need to take you up on your offer to give the BMW a polishing session, actually...

For the second time in two weeks Felicia has disgraced herself, seemingly for the same reason. Happened yesterday evening when Mrs Yoss went to the gym. Funnily enough she was driving last time but she is adamant she hasn't been sabotaging it. Was working perfectly when she drove in and was totally dead when she came out. 

Same problem, no spark. But this time I at least got a code from my cheap code reader, last time both my and the recovery mans code readers came up blank. Yesterday we got this. 

IMG_20220410_175153.thumb.jpg.36dcce7e345905660f0b96fc410efa1d.jpg

So does this mean crankshaft position sensor? A bit of googling says yes. Anyway it was getting it a bit late and you never know how long recovery will take and I didn't want a late night so I went home (it's only a mile and a half away) and dug the Triumph out of the garage again. 

Went back this afternoon and it hadn't miraculously fixed itself so I called the recovery people. After being fleeced and let down by both the AA and RAC in the past we tried a smaller company, Start Rescue who outsource to a network of independent recovery firms. So far it's worked well, both times I've had Ravenscroft Motors turn up who are well regarded and I know somebody who works for them (he collects FWD Triumphs too). 

The guy today turned up in about 20 minutes. Did a really thorough job of testing but everything points to the coil again. Wether the crankshaft sensor is stopping the coil from working as I think somebody suggested on here last time or it was a cheap Chinese shit coil or there is another element like an overcharging alternator that is frying coils we don't know. Obviously can't test the alternator until the engine is running. But he had his multimeter out and was testing the three pin plug in to the coil and there was power going in but not coming out. 

So the end result was this again. 

IMG_20220411_154258.thumb.jpg.41137906d72a03f54f456a8d85e3aa2c.jpg

IMG_20220411_155557.thumb.jpg.fcdc2c4193306a986197fd6ed7924375.jpg

It's getting a bit embarrassing especially as we have to block the Close to unload it for all the neighbours to see. 

had couple hours free so fiddled with the mighty moped, changed the fuel tap/filter,  got it started but wouldnt idle, dismmantled the carb cleaned out the bowl as gungy with old fuel residue, put back together , it now idles but carb is peeing out petrol, guessing floats now stuck.

12 hours ago, trigger said:

Took my Golf in for its first mot in my ownership on Friday. 

Pleasingly I got a clean pass! I celebrated by taking it to our first East Coast Retros Car Meet of the season on Saturday 

Are they original or reproduction plates? I like the VAG dealer specific font of the 1980s a lot. What a lovely thing